More Pricing Shenanigans

6 hours ago, SafetyHarbor said:

Just the opposite, we've cruised many years with them. The cruise pricing itself isn't the issue (we're locked in to the better rate anyway, and the increase was just an amusing "here we go again" anecdote).  The real issue I have is that they advertised a certain price for the UDP which induced me to cancel my existing UDP reservation (you can't book the UDP twice, then cancel the higher priced reservation because it won't let you book it if you already have it), then stated that the UDP was "sold out" when I tried to rebook it.  Less than an hour later they re-advertised it a higher price, and when called out on it the CSR admitted the information they provided on their website was not true.

I'm totally ok with dynamic pricing because it benefits people who care about the price and are willing to check pricing frequently to get a better deal, while also allowing the company to earn as much profit as they like from uninformed or unmotivated travelers.  This is the form of capitalism I like the most, the one that allows both the traveler and shareholder a chance to win.  Just don't cheat, which is essentially what they did, because they designed a system that allowed it to happen.  I'm not going to stop cruising RC because of it, and $160 doesn't mean anything when you consider it's just a part of a $10k cruise, but they should be called out when a part of their business is conducted in an ethically-dubious manner.

I've got one for you.  I'm booked for Anthem family sailing Easter '24.  No Chop's + 1 available.  Saw a special for Chop's for $45.99 pp.  So, I go to my cruise planner and try to book it and it tells me that it's all sold out.  In the meantime, I had cancelled my original Chop's price of $54.99 pp for a party of 8.  So, I'm scrambling and call C&A desk to reinstall my original price.  Was successful.  As soon as I hung up the pricing was $54.99 and day later the price jumped to $57.99 pp.   Don't know if it's Dynamic Pricing or IT incompetence.🤣

It’s called dynamic pricing and nothing new in the travel business. Hotels, airlines, resorts all do it. Just book  when you want to go and don’t worry about a few hundred dollars on a 10k trip….

Also, this is why you never cancel cruise planner purchases. Just call and let them adjust the original reservation 

Edited by CruisingHogFan

Yes, prices are crazy.  We booked 2 connecting Central Park balconies last June 2022 for August 2023 and the price is more than double what I paid and there aren't any connecting CP balconies available.

16 hours ago, SafetyHarbor said:

The real issue I have is that they advertised a certain price for the UDP which induced me to cancel my existing UDP reservation (you can't book the UDP twice, then cancel the higher priced reservation because it won't let you book it if you already have it), then stated that the UDP was "sold out" when I tried to rebook it....Just don't cheat, which is essentially what they did, because they designed a system that allowed it to happen.  

So, you booked the UDP at a discounted rate, saw a better rate and cancelled YOUR UDP but then found out that the better rate was limited to first come, first served and you came late.  So you are upset that YOU couldn't. get a "good deal" and they wouldn't give back your original "good deal," and you are blaming RCCL for "cheating?"   You're trying to manipulate the system and you got "bit."  That's what happens when you try to manipulate the system.  When you have a price you are happy with, stick with it and don't cancel until you verify you can actually get the new "good deal."

But hang in there, there'll probably another opportunity for you. 

If you think this is bad wait till you see the mess that is the cruise planner.

Advertised UDP for 240 GBP Charged me 298GBP then denied the price. so i sent screen shot of website. Still no refund. Still denies it was this price. 

UDP increased now to 400 GBP for 12 nights = 33 per night

5 Night package is 208 GBP is 41.60 per night

OR

3 night package 75 GBP for only 25 per night!

Royals new pricing strategy is to charge you more the more you buy! and if that dont work advertise one price and charge you another!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SafetyHarbor said:

Oh Royal, why can't you get your stuff together... We get it, demand for travel is high and prices will remain elevated; no problem.  But please stop playing games with the pricing on a daily basis.  I keep a spreadsheet to do weekly (and sometimes semi-weekly-ish) check-ins on pricing for the cruise itself as well as all the extras: Here are a few highlights:

On 04/03/23 we booked 2 connecting balcony rooms on 03/30/24 8 night Odyssey out of FL; Total cost with taxes $8,472.16 (ouch, but that's a different story...) This included total discounts of $5,484 and included both taxes and gratuities.

Today's price with the extra $200 "kicker" and larger discount was $8,796.64, which ostensibly includes $6,032 in discounts. And yes, room class is the same. The "sale" price is $320 more expensive, due to the cruise base price rising almost $900 between the two.  I call shenanigans.

Then to make it worse, we had also purchased a number of add-ons including the UDP for our family of four at $257.99 per.  No problem.  It's advertised today for $170.99 so I did what anyone would do, attempted to cancel then rebook at the lower price. However, it's suspiciously "sold out". 10 months in advance. I instead booked the 3 night package which coincidentally was the same price as when we originally booked the UDP. Of course by using the term "coincidentally" I mean no such thing. More shenanigans. I'm willing to wager that in a week when this "sale" is over, they'll mysteriously have more capacity to sell the UDP again at the original price. 

Good stuff, Royal.  Good stuff. 

im 100% sure the UDP price that was "sold out" was a website problem. 

Ive been affected by it too but their phone advisor confirmed the price and then charged me higher one. 

They really are terrible these days, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

If you think this is bad wait till you see the mess that is the cruise planner.

Advertised UDP for 240 GBP Charged me 298GBP then denied the price. so i sent screen shot of website. Still no refund. Still denies it was this price. 

UDP increased now to 400 GBP for 12 nights = 33 per night

5 Night package is 208 GBP is 41.60 per night

OR

3 night package 75 GBP for only 25 per night!

Royals new pricing strategy is to charge you more the more you buy! and if that dont work advertise one price and charge you another!

UDP includes sea day lunches in specialty.  On those 12 night cruises there can be more sea days so it's not apples to apples to compare a 3 or 5 night plan to the UDP.  There is no free lunch as the saying goes.  UDP is priced to reflect that.

The discrepancy between the 3 and 5 pricing is likely the same old demand concepts at work.  They've probably sold more 5 night on that voyage so the automated revenue algorithm nudged that price up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

UDP includes sea day lunches in specialty.  On those 12 night cruises there can be more sea days so it's not apples to apples to compare a 3 or 5 night plan to the UDP.  There is no free lunch as the saying goes.  UDP is priced to reflect that.

The discrepancy between the 3 and 5 pricing is likely the same old demand concepts at work.  They've probably sold more 5 night on that voyage so the automated revenue algorithm nudged that price up. 

It's funny, on my Easter '24 Anthem sail Chop's + 1 was never offered.  Had to go via individual restaurant booking.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Well it's true, from zero to infinity, and beyond!

Not true,  tried  to locate a zero price cruise, non listed  on Royal Caribbeans  website,  not even  before taxes 

On 5/26/2023 at 5:32 AM, papaflamingo said:

So, you booked the UDP at a discounted rate, saw a better rate and cancelled YOUR UDP but then found out that the better rate was limited to first come, first served and you came late.  So you are upset that YOU couldn't. get a "good deal" and they wouldn't give back your original "good deal," and you are blaming RCCL for "cheating?"   You're trying to manipulate the system and you got "bit."  That's what happens when you try to manipulate the system.  When you have a price you are happy with, stick with it and don't cancel until you verify you can actually get the new "good deal."

But hang in there, there'll probably another opportunity for you. 

Yikes this is the way it's been done for years.  Find a better price then cancel and rebook at the lower rate.  I've never heard of the "sold out" situation before. You cancel and rebook within basically a minute.  Does the website show "sold out" when you check pricing a minute later?  Too many people are reporting this issue for it to be an unfortunate coincidence. I think Royal is taking advantage. It can all be justified away, but the bad taste will remain.      

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

Yikes this is the way it's been done for years.  Find a better price then cancel and rebook at the lower rate.  I've never heard of the "sold out" situation before. You cancel and rebook within basically a minute.  Does the website show "sold out" when you check pricing a minute later?  Too many people are reporting this issue for it to be an unfortunate coincidence. I think Royal is taking advantage. It can all be justified away, but the bad taste will remain.      

The sold out doesnt show unless you click on it. Then it shows for me. I can tell ahead of time because there is no discount next to the price like the others. It is just some low number and no discount on it shows and it's always sold out. I can tell now without clicking but if they clicked on the price it says sold out. .. just seeing a random low number isnt a valid price.

• Thanks 2

On 5/26/2023 at 3:06 PM, twangster said:

Not true.

UDP is always cheaper than per night package regardless of sea day lunches. This it the first time ive seen this pricing issue and ive had the UDP on every cruise ive been on since they started offering it. 

a 14 night UDP used to be 188 GBP ive seen it as little as 166 GDP pre pandemic. 

I have also had this problem lately.  Calling to get adjustments etc.on our upcoming Sept cruise that is paid in full but before the pay in full date, which in the past, they were given to us as OBC.  I guess these are things of the past.  No such thing as price guarantees etc. any more.  Sadly, we're stuck with this junk. On UDP and UBP you can always cancel and rebook at the lower price, but no adjustments on discounts for the fare etc.any more.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

I have also had this problem lately.  Calling to get adjustments etc.on our upcoming Sept cruise that is paid in full but before the pay in full date, which in the past, they were given to us as OBC.  I guess these are things of the past.  No such thing as price guarantees etc. any more.  Sadly, we're stuck with this junk. On UDP and UBP you can always cancel and rebook at the lower price, but no adjustments on discounts for the fare etc.any more.

If you are before final payment date I'd call back and talk to another rep and probably get a different answer.  You should get price drops before final payment.

• Like 1

I am aware of that but final was June 5th and we were trying to get flight points by using a new AMEX card and we had to pay the cruise off to get them.  Then after payoff, I noticed a Military discount on our cruise...long story short, no dice.  We almost never pay off a cruise until final date for that reason.  In the past they have been more agreeable. lately not so much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I am aware of that but final was June 5th and we were trying to get flight points by using a new AMEX card and we had to pay the cruise off to get them.  Then after payoff, I noticed a Military discount on our cruise...long story short, no dice.  We almost never pay off a cruise until final date for that reason.  In the past they have been more agreeable. lately not so much.

When you pay off the cruise has absolutely NOTHING to do with price reductions.

The more likely scenario is the military discount was not combinable with whatever discount you had used originally.

I can tell you from personal experience. The military discount is getting harder and harder to use. 

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I remember several months ago, the Price Guarantee was brought up and I quoted the FAQ/Policy and you wouldn't believe the blowback that I received.  This is the FAQ/policy that's all I'm saying/showing.  I'm not saying that people aren't getting the old type of Price Guarantee, just like I don't say that people can't get away with bringing more than one bottle of wine, per person and just about every other policy that is ignored or sporadically enforced or not.  I'm just pointing out the FAQ/policy.  I think you talked to a "phone answerer" that read the FAQ/policy and gave you his/her answer.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/best-price-guarantee-policy

Q

What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program?

A

Spot a better price on your booked cruise?

Our Best Price Guarantee lets you take advantage of a better price within 48 hours from the time you booked— just give us a call or use our online form. You’ll receive the difference as a non-refundable onboard credit inside final payment or rate adjustment outside final payment.

ALSO:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/resources/best-price-guarantee

Terms and Conditions

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee applies to the cruise rate only. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee will not apply to government fees and taxes and/or any fuel supplement charge. Lower rates must be Royal Caribbean's publicly advertised rates available to the general public. Group rates, membership programs, charters or other Travel Agent promotions not offered by Royal Caribbean to the general public, including but not limited to travel agent rebates are ineligible.

To submit a Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee claim, please click on the link above and complete all the required information. You will be asked to provide the lower rate amount and where the rate can be found. The lower rate must: i) be for the same ship, sail date, stateroom category and number of guests; and ii) be available for reserving at the time Royal Caribbean reviews your submitted Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee claim form.

All Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee claim forms must be submitted on-line within 48 hours of reserving your cruise and verified by Royal Caribbean in order to qualify for the onboard credit. The onboard credit is non-refundable, non-transferable and has no cash value. Any unused portion of the onboard credit will be forfeited. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee may be discontinued or changed at any time without notice. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee is applicable to North American reservations only.

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

If you do a mock booking and the same category you have now is priced lower when you click on military you can call and get your price adjusted and a refund for the difference before final payment DATE

• Like 1

Mollie, This is the exact scenario and I talked to 2 different reps, they would not allow it.  They both said not now.  Would not allow the military refund and my final pay date is June 5th yet.  I have done this several times in the past and they always did as you said...not anymore!

Edited by BecciBoo

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I quoted the FAQ/Policy and you wouldn't believe the blowback that I received. 

That's probably because "routine" price drops before final payment are not related to that FAQ.

• Like 1