To Mariner…or not.

Emdee

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

So for the next two years bring a Porta Potti???😱

If you don't think it will be corrected, don't book. I wouldn't blame you.
Voyager goes in right behind Mariner on Nov 26 it looks like....for the same length of time (20 days) so perhaps she is getting the same major workover.

I am trying to avoid mixing regular scheduled dry dock and refits with operational issues that arise from time to time and need attention.  So far as I can tell this issue is longstanding and mostly focused on Mariner.  I am just one of several posters describing our toilet issues on actual Mariner voyages.  

• Like 2

So, getting back to the present experience on Mariner, my wife and I have been on since the November 25th sailing, continuing until they force us off on December 12 (so, a back-to-back). First, if I had a continuously problematic suite, as the poster in 761 reports, I’d be insisting on a move if space was available or some other solution. By no means am I minimizing those experiences. 

This morning in Dominica the ship’s toilet system was non functioning. In our PH (9th deck) suite, toilet operation was restored in less than 45 minutes. It may well have been longer in other areas. Other than today, with the occasional “delayed flush” as I’ve experienced on many ships (non Regent), our toilet and the public toilets have, from my perspective, operated normally. Others may have had different experiences. This  morning’s general failure was inconvenient yet, for us, would not preclude our return to Mariner.

Presently, after a delicious Ahi Tuna burger, I’m lounging by the pool. I’ve been approached by at least 4 servers, and just ordered another iced tea. 

We find the food here to be the best of any of our Regent cruises ( this second leg is our 6th; we turned “gold” this cruise). Service throughout is excellent, our PH suite was in very good condition (my wife finds the sofa extremely comfortable for lounging); the bed is comfortable, and the only dislike is the bathtub-shower combo. On our next Mariner cruise (Amazon, November’24), happily we’re in a shower only PH suite. Entertainment is the usual, Destinations staff friendly and helpful as are the vast majority whom we’ve encountered.

Embarkation on November 25 easy: arrived at port 12:30, sitting in La Veranda by 12:50. Cabins ready on both segments by 1:30, nice and early. 

Certainly, on board and shoreside personnel should address those passengers suffering with recurrent plumbing or other problems. Systemic issues, such as these are or may be, should be addressed sooner rather than later. Yet so far we are having  a great time on board, and will be sorry to leave on December 12.

Hope this perspective helps. Again, this is just our experience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, ON cruiser said:

So, getting back to the present experience on Mariner, my wife and I have been on since the November 25th sailing, continuing until they force us off on December 12 (so, a back-to-back). First, if I had a continuously problematic suite, as the poster in 761 reports, I’d be insisting on a move if space was available or some other solution. By no means am I minimizing those experiences. 

This morning in Dominica the ship’s toilet system was non functioning. In our PH (9th deck) suite, toilet operation was restored in less than 45 minutes. It may well have been longer in other areas. Other than today, with the occasional “delayed flush” as I’ve experienced on many ships (non Regent), our toilet and the public toilets have, from my perspective, operated normally. Others may have had different experiences. This  morning’s general failure was inconvenient yet, for us, would not preclude our return to Mariner.

Presently, after a delicious Ahi Tuna burger, I’m lounging by the pool. I’ve been approached by at least 4 servers, and just ordered another iced tea. 

We find the food here to be the best of any of our Regent cruises ( this second leg is our 6th; we turned “gold” this cruise). Service throughout is excellent, our PH suite was in very good condition (my wife finds the sofa extremely comfortable for lounging); the bed is comfortable, and the only dislike is the bathtub-shower combo. On our next Mariner cruise (Amazon, November’24), happily we’re in a shower only PH suite. Entertainment is the usual, Destinations staff friendly and helpful as are the vast majority whom we’ve encountered.

Embarkation on November 25 easy: arrived at port 12:30, sitting in La Veranda by 12:50. Cabins ready on both segments by 1:30, nice and early. 

Certainly, on board and shoreside personnel should address those passengers suffering with recurrent plumbing or other problems. Systemic issues, such as these are or may be, should be addressed sooner rather than later. Yet so far we are having  a great time on board, and will be sorry to leave on December 12.

Hope this perspective helps. Again, this is just our experience.

Very helpful - appreciate it.

Yes, the shower/tub combo remaining in some Mariner suites has been a problem for two decades. In one dry dock early on, some suites were converted to shower only, with a fairly nice shower stall. We cruised the Mariner before the conversion, and knew about the problem from posts here on CC before the partial conversion. I took along a small measuring tape. The problem is that there is only 6’ 2” headroom above the shower floor. Even though I’m short, I continually banged my hand on the ceiling while washing my hair. Also, the tub is narrower than a traditional residential tub, adding to the problems. Further, the tub bottom is 8” higher than the bathroom floor. This makes entry and exit difficult — even for those of us whose only disability is being old. So unless you are a fan of soaking in a tub, suites with the shower/tub combo are to be avoided. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Normal dry-docking is, as you say, scheduled far in advance.  I doubt the fix for the plumbing would necessitate out of water dry dock.  Plenty of spaces for "emergency" or other unscheduled needs.  When I was running cargo ships we had to have sudden work done, even out of water work done at short notice.  It's all about not wanting to give any money back.  Seems R would rather limp along and buy a large box of Band Aids to keep this down the road. 

Jim - I absolutely agree with you!  I.e., "It's all about not wanting to give any money back."  Regent has disappointingly proven time and again over recent years that they always start out with the "most minimal and money saving remedial offer" to their loyal customer base first...before finally getting around to doing the "right thing" (which is not always going to be the offer that will save Miami the most money)!

I can't imagine an anymore disgusting health-risk issue/condition on a cruise ship than having non-functioning or barely-functioning toilets throughout the ship - with contaminated waste water running out on decks and inside "suites" in various locations on the ship!

Okay..."no cronuts in the coffee connection", "running out of a favorite bourbon onboard", or "no Alaskan crab legs in P7"...that's one thing.  But it rises to "a whole different level" for any cruise line, let alone a "luxury cruise line", to knowingly be sending a ship out to sea with a barely/marginally functioning wastewater system!?

This has been going on/reported for quite some time now (on Mariner) and the "excuse" about it all being caused by an errant passenger flushing "the wrong item" down a toilet just doesn't "cut it" any longer.  It's not habitually happening or being reported on any of the other ships, which presumably also would occasionally have those same type of thoughtless passengers onboard, as well.

Is Regent's "business plan" (for Mariner) to just simply keep operating (with corporate fingers crossed) and "hope for the best" until they can finally get the waste disposal system fixed, once and for all!?  While in the meantime, just keep scheduling more cruises and accepting new bookings to keep the money coming in?

Sure, I'll keep booking more cruises with Regent (at least for now)...but it won't be on Mariner  anymore unless/until the problem is finally fixed.  Best Regards.

• Like 9

We have only cruised once on Mariner and, fortunately, I had read bout the shower/tub problem so we booked a shower only room.  There was a BIG problem with that configuration.  Some bright designer thought a large mirror inset in the shower area would make the space look larger.  Each day I was forced to look at the impact of my gluttony.   Post cruise my choice was therapy or weight watchers!  

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

By "un-refurbished ship" do you mean a ship in need of refurbishment? That could be any ship sailing to be honest. Regent has a date and a list of extensive changes planned for Mariner that should exceed all expectations...except possibly the timing...but there is a lot of lead time required on these things. 

Yes, I was just talking about the plumbing problem, not changing the refurbishment schedule--just commiserating with the world cruisers who happen to get the ship at the end of its cycle, as it were.

5 hours ago, Cruiselover51 said:

Hello, I am sorry to report that the toilet system does not work on Regent Mariner.  We started our cruise in Miami Dec 2, 2023. The floor in the bathroom had water on it and the toilet did not flush. Since, every day we had this problem. Today, Dec 7, we have the problem in our “suite” #761 but the problem exists on public toilet on 11th floor at the Veranda, on the 6th floor, public toilet next to Horizon lounge and on 6th floor, Public toilet next to the theater.  We were told at the reception that the problem is across the ship.  We met other guests from deck 10, they had the problem.

This ship has a serious problem.

In our 43 previous cruises, it is the first time we have such problems.  This is our first time with Regent, this is not a good experience. Because of the Covid, we stopped cruising for 3 years.  Since December 2022, we were on Celebrity, Seabourn and Crystal. we will stay with these other company or maybe go on a more recent Regent ship.

So sorry you’re going through this, I would be very upset. Several passengers are also posting about it on Regent Facebook page. Mainly due to this we have just canceled our June 2024 Mariner cruise, don’t feel like dealing with this risk. 
I hope you’ll get some sort of compensation and give one of the newer Regent ships a chance. We just go off from Splendor, 21 days Med/ transatlantic and it was almost flawless

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

So sorry you’re going through this, I would be very upset. Several passengers are also posting about it on Regent Facebook page. Mainly due to this we have just canceled our June 2024 Mariner cruise, don’t feel like dealing with this risk. 
I hope you’ll get some sort of compensation and give one of the newer Regent ships a chance. We just go off from Splendor, 21 days Med/ transatlantic and it was almost flawless

Cruiseluv - Like you, we also just got off the Splendor TA to Miami.  I'm sorry we didn't have the opportunity to meet you!  That was an absolutely fabulous cruise for us, as well!  I would rank it as probably the "best Regent cruise" we have ever been on!  Everything was simply flawless!  The service, the food, the entertainment, the staff, all the wonderful people we met!  We loved it!  I would book Splendor again "in a heartbeat"!  Somehow (unless plans change), we're going to have to "get by" until '25 before our next Regent cruise (on Grandeur).  Best Regards.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cruiselover51 said:

Hello, I am sorry to report that the toilet system does not work on Regent Mariner.  We started our cruise in Miami Dec 2, 2023. The floor in the bathroom had water on it and the toilet did not flush. Since, every day we had this problem. Today, Dec 7, we have the problem in our “suite” #761 but the problem exists on public toilet on 11th floor at the Veranda, on the 6th floor, public toilet next to Horizon lounge and on 6th floor, Public toilet next to the theater.  We were told at the reception that the problem is across the ship.  We met other guests from deck 10, they had the problem.

This ship has a serious problem.

In our 43 previous cruises, it is the first time we have such problems.  This is our first time with Regent, this is not a good experience. Because of the Covid, we stopped cruising for 3 years.  Since December 2022, we were on Celebrity, Seabourn and Crystal. we will stay with these other company or maybe go on a more recent Regent ship.

Wow!  We must have sailed on her at just the right time.  The Good Mrs. Benson and I were on the Mariner sailing just before yours---25 November-02 December.  We were in suite 919.  We experienced no problems with the toilet system, nor did any of the several people we encountered report any plumbing issues.

That doesn't deny that there were any toilet system issues during our cruise, of course.  But, it would seem that, if a problem as widespread as has occurred on your cruise had taken place on ours, it would've become common knowledge.

I'm sorry such a thing has disrupted your cruise.  I can imagine how vexing it is.

8 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Cruiseluv - Like you, we also just got off the Splendor TA to Miami.  I'm sorry we didn't have the opportunity to meet you!  That was an absolutely fabulous cruise for us, as well!  I would rank it as probably the "best Regent cruise" we have ever been on!  Everything was simply flawless!  The service, the food, the entertainment, the staff, all the wonderful people we met!  We loved it!  I would book Splendor again "in a heartbeat"!  Somehow (unless plans change), we're going to have to "get by" until '25 before our next Regent cruise (on Grandeur).  Best Regards.

I thought of you several times and thought of going around deck calling “pingpong anyone” but thought people would think I was nuts 😜

Now that we canceled our Mariner 2024 our next cruise is also on Grandeur 2025! We have booked a back to back starting in Southampton  on June 11, 2025 and ending in Reykjavik on 7/7 . Is that by any chance yours?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

I thought of you several times and thought of going around deck calling “pingpong anyone” but thought people would think I was nuts 😜

Now that we canceled our Mariner 2024 our next cruise is also on Grandeur 2025! We have booked a back to back starting in Southampton  on June 11, 2025 and ending in Reykjavik on 7/7 . Is that by any chance yours?

Unfortunately not.  😪  Our Grandeur cruise will be in March '25 and is a Miami to Miami (14 days) around the Caribbean.

4 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Yours should be just after the extensive refit - you should be very happy!

I am just hoping the refit is completed in time and our cruise does not get canceled.  I am really looking forward to our holiday cruise.

12 minutes ago, ysolde said:

I am just hoping the refit is completed in time and our cruise does not get canceled.  I am really looking forward to our holiday cruise.

The dry dock date has been shared by Regent and I've not seen one go over....I would feel confident.

• Thanks 1

The two times we have cruised the Mariner were in 2003 and 2014, there were no toilet problems then. It seems there are now, and this is unthinkable on a luxury cruise. So in answer to the OP’s question, my answer would be “or not” until this problem is fixed. There should not have to be a scheduled dry dock for Regent to fix a problem like this. It is not a “design problem”  or else it would have been present in 2003 — close to the time of the maiden voyage. And also in 2014. It is clearly a maintenance problem that should be fixed before anybody puts down “big bucks” for a cruise on it.

So, an update re the plumbing issue further to my above post. Two apologies were issued yesterday: first from the cruise director and secondly, in his port departure announcement, from the Captain.

Captain Aivo also informed all that further maintenance would be performed between midnight and 2AM. So far this Friday morning, there have been no further plumbing issues of which I am aware.

Last night at the Horizon bar, several couples on different decks noted they had had intermittent problems. So, hopefully the more focused maintenance overnight fixed the problem.

we’re on board until December 12. If there are any developments I will check in, and hopefully other posters currently on Mariner will do the same. After, hopefully Flossie can report on her on board experiences and what she hears when she joins the ship.

In the meantime, after a nice breakfast, I’m booked for a massage this afternoon ( gotta use those non-refundable credits!). We continue to enjoy our time on this lovely ship.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5