Oldies not catered for anymore

jessybell

27 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I love the feel of real books too! The trouble is we're running out of room in the house for all our books so I have a Kindle too. I try to only buy real books from certain authors now, books from any other authors go on my kindle. I like to read late so reading on the kindle means I don't need a light on which would disturb Mr B.

Can leave a book on a sunbed but maybe not a phone or tablet. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Yes - and useful to leave book & glasses on a table in the buffet after finishing main course and going to get dessert or coffee etc.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

I usually have a real book on the go at the same time as one on the kindle so I’ll have both with me 😊

• Like 2

Well I've just put together my review of our cruise. I won't go over it all now - there are 4 pages of it!

Just to say that, as a couple who like technology (hubby works in it) we hated the new system for freedom dining using that virtual queueing system with a passion. You are allowed to try the old fashioned way and go to the desk and have a pager but that left us with 300 people infront of us so we ate late .............................

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, kalos said:

1411655123850_wps_1_Family_including_kids_8_9.jpg.e65c0166f935c443c4216c094d386fda.jpg

The times we've seen the above scene, given the chance our phones will be off

and stored in our safe until our holiday/cruise is over .

As long as you haven’t got your head stuck in the newspaper or poring over the crossword or sudoku instead! 

Edited by Dermotsgirl
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I love books, and to many people to feel the texture of the pages and the sound of turning them is part of enjoying a good read. I know many may now be thinking 'What on earth is that woman prattling on about'?, but I'm sure there are others that understand what I mean.

I have to use a Kindle now as I can't hold a book for long, and it really is not the same.

Avril

I was very resistant to getting a Kindle, as I do like the feel of a book. But my husband wanted a Kindle for his birthday one year, and I had a go on it - completely loved it and got one for myself immediately. However, I still read an occasional real book, and enjoy the experience 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I love the feel of real books too! The trouble is we're running out of room in the house for all our books so I have a Kindle too. I try to only buy real books from certain authors now, books from any other authors go on my kindle. I like to read late so reading on the kindle means I don't need a light on which would disturb Mr B.

I'm very similar. And a Kindle is much smaller and lighter to pack for a cruise than two or three books. I've also discovered that there are a lot of Kindle e-books available of stories that are out of copyright that you can buy for only 99p, including many classics.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

I'm very similar. And a Kindle is much smaller and lighter to pack for a cruise than two or three books. I've also discovered that there are a lot of Kindle e-books available of stories that are out of copyright that you can buy for only 99p, including many classics.

Out of copyright tend to be free if you search.  The 99p is not going to the author it just goes to someone chancing their arm.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Out of copyright tend to be free if you search.  The 99p is not going to the author it just goes to someone chancing their arm.

If it's out of copyright, then in most cases the author is going to be dead. And these e-books are well produced by reputable outfits and are much nicer to read than the free "raw text" versions that I know can be found on the web.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As long as you haven’t got your head stuck in the newspaper or poring over the crossword or sudoku instead! 

Nope we talk to each other We never look at a newspaper whilst away .

Hence the other week ,some on here worried about my whereabouts.

Time together away from it all works for us .

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I always like to have my phone with me, as it's now my camera, and also records how many steps I do.  I'm going to buy a small, phone sized crossbody bag to carry my phone when on board or in a hotel/resort.  It will be especially useful in the evening, as the clothes I wear in the evenings have less pockets than day clothes 

That's what I do.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kalos said:

Nope we talk to each other We never look at a newspaper whilst away .

Hence the other week ,some on here worried about my whereabouts.

Time together away from it all works for us .

We don't pay for WiFi on the ship. When DW wants something she has to tell me personally rather that message me with her instructions.

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, Britboys said:

For some of us Dai, that isn't the point. I am sure I would be able to use the 'app', in fact I did for entertainment for the first week on Aurora last year before realising that you didn't really need to. My bone of contention is that I have no desire to carry my phone around all day/evening on a ship. It usually goes in the safe and stays there until I go ashore. Like many folk, I spend far too much time looking at phone and tablet when at home. It's good to have a break.

Thqat has nothing to do with your age and can equally apply to younger cruisers. the question was about older cruisers not being able to cope with IT wihch of course is rubbish and insulting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, daiB said:

Thqat has nothing to do with your age and can equally apply to younger cruisers. the question was about older cruisers not being able to cope with IT wihch of course is rubbish and insulting. 

Thread drift Dai. Having said that though, I think it is safe to assume that the percentage of older people who find IT difficult is higher than the percentage of younger people. I don't however believe anyone on this board thinks all older people are IT illiterate...

• Like 6

Hello All,

Hope everyone is well.  Not read all this thread but will add in my thoughts so if repetitive then apologies.

P&O will have a business model and know what they are doing.  Theirs appears to be the mass market, if that's what they need to do to stay in business then they will.  Times change as noted many times on this forum and the 80/20 rule applies.  80% will accept and 20% won't.  Also demographics change as has what people want to do.  Iona etc may be aimed at families but not everyone has children (I'm in the 20% that don't) and during term time it is a better environment for Mrs RL me.  It is also when groups of friends travel.  If I had friends and wanted to travel with them I would choose Iona during term time!  I haven't worked out yet whether I'm surprised or not surprised how many children are on board during school term time but it will still be a lot less then during school holidays.

The web browser non-app is what it is, it's here to stay and will improve over time.  I have never known a piece of software come in that is perfect.  I don't live on my phone nor hate it, though the amount of time I now spend at work with headphones in on calls is awful, and accept it is needed for certain things.  A lot of places are app only.  I play board games and a lot of those have an accompanying app.

Dress codes have been regularly discussed.  Informal is more to the fore these days it would appear, if that's what people want then that's what P&O will do.  I'm only a cruiser now as a lot of formality has gone, this was my number one concern  when booking that first cruise.  Don't get me wrong I'm not totally uncouth (although me grammar is bad) but I don't want to be told what I have to wear and when I have to eat and where with what.  As I keep saying on other threads why does what I wear make anyone elses food taste any different?  And I accept my movement are restricted for an evening.  My food doesn't taste any different because some are in black tie I can assure you.

Simply put if we don't like P&O and the way they are headed then we jump to someone else.  I have very little loyalty to brands or shops etc and will flit between many.  If one does something I don't like I go elsewhere.  If I receive bad service in say Morrisons or they don't have what I want I go to T E Stockwell & Cohen next time.  

I hope to have a good 40 years of cruising ahead of me and that is what P&O have tapped into.  In 30 years time they and societal needs will have changed and I may have to look elsewhere to a more niche line that does what I want.  I won't blame P&O as they don't need me anymore, they will be appealing to those who have another 40 years in them.

Also as I keep saying it's your holiday, just go and enjoy it accepting perfection isn't possible, except in my case of course, and if you don't like it book elsewhere next time.  P&Os loss is someone elses gain.  I've only done four cruises with P&O, not even a novice cruiser I suspect, and every one has been fantastic despite the pre and post changes.  Have they been perfect?  Probably not but it's a holiday so I don't go looking nor sweat the small stuff.

One last thought though is I like things to be fair.  I don't like the fact that I board and a lot of things are booked up already.  Everyone should get a fair crack of the whip at things and it doesn't always seem possible.  Mrs RL and me wanted to sample the Olive Grove on Iona and fully booked and we checked a couple of times a day each day.  I'm all for book early to avoid disappointment and having a bit for loyalty but keep some open for everyone else who are later bookers.

• Like 17

11 hours ago, Britboys said:

Thread drift Dai. Having said that though, I think it is safe to assume that the percentage of older people who find IT difficult is higher than the percentage of younger people. I don't however believe anyone on this board thinks all older people are IT illiterate...

That is what is being implied by some posts. Not drift at all as many people on the thread claim that the app is an indicvation that Iona is designed for young people.

The title of the thread is Oldies Not Catered for.

So no drift.

Edited by daiB

Agree, but our friend who used to cruise with us had no pc at home, had no mobile phone and didn't want to do that at all.  Had no idea about how to use any IT stuff.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I was very resistant to getting a Kindle, as I do like the feel of a book. But my husband wanted a Kindle for his birthday one year, and I had a go on it - completely loved it and got one for myself immediately. However, I still read an occasional real book, and enjoy the experience 

I am lucky enough to have a mobile library visit our village once a month but I take a kindle on board ship. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daiB said:

That is what is being implied by some posts. Not drift at all as many people on the thread claim that the app is an indicvation that Iona is designed for young people.

The title of the thread is Oldies Not Catered for.

So no drift.

Which is how they feel Dai, so is probably relevant. Regardless of the 'app', it is very clear that the two new ships are designed with a younger clientele than hitherto.

26 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Which is how they feel Dai, so is probably relevant. Regardless of the 'app', it is very clear that the two new ships are designed with a younger clientele than hitherto.

Well as an oldie. I think sje is fantastic and made for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Well as an oldie. I think sje is fantastic and made for me.

As a fellow oldie I will book Iona/Arvia when the right deal comes along. Some folk seem to be fixated with age and IT. For goodness sake, it's a holiday.

• Like 3