Oldies not catered for anymore

jessybell

33 minutes ago, PurpleMoonlight said:

Ha ha, that would be me.

I have no apps on my phone, and if I'm on holiday the last thing I want to do is carry my phone around with me.

I have lots of apps and use my phone a lot, but it's not something I want to be doing on holiday.

• Like 7

On 6/1/2023 at 5:36 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

We really liked Cricket St Thomas, the setting in the large grounds was lovely and we liked the Terrace Bar area in the old house. We’d go back to Bembridge and CST 

I'd very highly recommend Littlecote House and Thoresby Hall too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I have lots of apps and use my phone a lot, but it's not something I want to be doing on holiday.

You’ll be pleased to know you don’t need to use it on the Aurora. The only thing it does is show your account and spending, everything else is as it was.

• Like 4

On 6/2/2023 at 11:10 AM, daiB said:

Harry have you noticed the irony of people complaining about having  to use a web page on a ship, on a website. clearly get their grandchildren to  post for them.

😁

Gan Canny

Dai

For some of us Dai, that isn't the point. I am sure I would be able to use the 'app', in fact I did for entertainment for the first week on Aurora last year before realising that you didn't really need to. My bone of contention is that I have no desire to carry my phone around all day/evening on a ship. It usually goes in the safe and stays there until I go ashore. Like many folk, I spend far too much time looking at phone and tablet when at home. It's good to have a break.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

For some of us Dai, that isn't the point. I am sure I would be able to use the 'app', in fact I did for entertainment for the first week on Aurora last year before realising that you didn't really need to. My bone of contention is that I have no desire to carry my phone around all day/evening on a ship. It usually goes in the safe and stays there until I go ashore. Like many folk, I spend far too much time looking at phone and tablet when at home. It's good to have a break.

How is carrying a phone any more onerous than carrying a paper copy of Horizon, cruise card, spectacles, book, camera, sun screen, spare cardi, sun hat etc? Then number of people is see carrying huge bags with everything plus the kitchen sink, yet moan about carrying a phone.

Carrying a phone reduces the amount of stuff you need to carry. If you don't think so you are obviously not the one with the handbag!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

My phone sits in my shorts or trouser pocket when on holiday, and unless it rings, or I want to google something, I don't really know it's there, it's not a problem to have it available.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

How is carrying a phone any more onerous than carrying a paper copy of Horizon, cruise card, spectacles, book, camera, sun screen, spare cardi, sun hat etc? Then number of people is see carrying huge bags with everything plus the kitchen sink, yet moan about carrying a phone.

Carrying a phone reduces the amount of stuff you need to carry. If you don't think so you are obviously not the one with the handbag!

I never carry a large bag around with me. The most I carry inside the ship is a book with the Horizon tucked inside and my reading glasses. In the evening I only carry my glasses. As I only sail on the smaller ships, it is easy to get back to the cabin if I want or need to. As I said in an earlier post, for me it is also about taking a break from screens and technology.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I never carry a large bag around with me. The most I carry inside the ship is a book with the Horizon tucked inside and my reading glasses. In the evening I only carry my glasses. As I only sail on the smaller ships, it is easy to get back to the cabin if I want or need to. As I said in an earlier post, for me it is also about taking a break from screens and technology.

Carrying a phone would reduce what you carry by half. No need for a book or the paper copy of Horizon. My specs are carried on my nose.

Why is reading a paper book any different from reading a screen?

17 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Totally agree. I have my phone on aeroplane mode, only use it to take pictures and occasionally look at the app. I would say its on about 1hr max a day. I dont bother with paying for the ships wifi. A holiday is just a get away from it all. I understand ships have apps, saves so much environment pollution with paper and inks. But is it such a huge problem to check it once in a while.? As long as they cater for people without smart phones or like my mum has no idea about technology. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FangedRose said:

Carrying a phone would reduce what you carry by half. No need for a book or the paper copy of Horizon. My specs are carried on my nose.

We are all different. I would never read a book on a phone, far too small for me. I enjoy reading real books, made of paper. One of the first things I do on a cruise is to visit the Library to pick up a couple of books.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

I love books, and to many people to feel the texture of the pages and the sound of turning them is part of enjoying a good read. I know many may now be thinking 'What on earth is that woman prattling on about'?, but I'm sure there are others that understand what I mean.

I have to use a Kindle now as I can't hold a book for long, and it really is not the same.

Avril

• Like 17

It’s a very personal thing but I just do not find it an issue to carry around a small phone and remove it only occasionally. Like I might do for taking photos and videos of the cruise when in the moment. I certainly don’t feel I live on it and it certainly does not affect my holiday enjoyment whatsoever - and after being a huge critic of their “app” initially, and clutching my pearls with the best of them, I now actually prefer that route. Well, for the most part at least!

But there are plenty of other key issues I have with P&O cruises that eclipse the very minor issues I do have with their “app”.

Right, am off to check that Emmerdale Farm has recorded on my new Betamax before I send a telegram to Head Office enquiring about the fleet-wide removal of quoits.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

50 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Hi Britboys, you and me alike!! Except, in the evening, my glasses and Horizon are carried for me in my wife's handbag. Result!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I love books, and to many people to feel the texture of the pages and the sound of turning them is part of enjoying a good read. I know many may now be thinking 'What on earth is that woman prattling on about'?, but I'm sure there are others that understand what I mean.

I have to use a Kindle now as I can't hold a book for long, and it really is not the same.

Avril

I agree Avril. I like to physically turn the pages. Plus a book is useful to rest the crossword on and also let the waiters know I am returning to my table 😀

• Like 8

4 hours ago, FangedRose said:

I always like to have my phone with me, as it's now my camera, and also records how many steps I do.  I'm going to buy a small, phone sized crossbody bag to carry my phone when on board or in a hotel/resort.  It will be especially useful in the evening, as the clothes I wear in the evenings have less pockets than day clothes 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I always like to have my phone with me, as it's now my camera, and also records how many steps I do.  I'm going to buy a small, phone sized crossbody bag to carry my phone when on board or in a hotel/resort.  It will be especially useful in the evening, as the clothes I wear in the evenings have less pockets than day clothes 

That’s exactly what I have bought and it is useful at home too.

I must admit I do need a bag in the evenings for cruise card, glasses and tissues.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I love the feel of real books too! The trouble is we're running out of room in the house for all our books so I have a Kindle too. I try to only buy real books from certain authors now, books from any other authors go on my kindle. I like to read late so reading on the kindle means I don't need a light on which would disturb Mr B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I do use the phone to take a few photos but when on holiday use a camera. I certainly don't carry the camera around all day when the ship is at sea though...

1411655123850_wps_1_Family_including_kids_8_9.jpg.e65c0166f935c443c4216c094d386fda.jpg

The times we've seen the above scene, given the chance our phones will be off

and stored in our safe until our holiday/cruise is over .

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Cannot see my phone screen in the sun!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kalos said:

1411655123850_wps_1_Family_including_kids_8_9.jpg.e65c0166f935c443c4216c094d386fda.jpg

This made me laugh. We've just got back from a week's holiday on the Isle of Wight. We had no Wi-fi in our accommodation so when we went to a pub for dinner we all dived on the internet checking tennis match results etc 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

So rude and antisocial. For goodness sake at least switch them off at meal times and TALK to each other!

• Like 4