Ruby Princess Pier Runners in Skagway?

dobiemom

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

How about next week?  If the ship returns to Skagway and picks them up?

What a dilemma.

Still pvsa. They boarded in one US poet and disembarked  in another. If they record it will be in a different US port.

This reminded me of an incident several years ago on a Princess MR cruise.  The ship had just left the pier in Puerto Vallarta when we see "that guy" (the recognizable loud drunk from the ship) yelling and waving his arms on the pier.  We all waved back at him.  Then, we saw him boarding a small, motorized boat and head for the ship.  He's on the bow, still yelling and waving his arms.  Our captain apparently decided to allow our ship to coast to a stop while a rope ladder was lowered from a door so he and his overserved girlfriend could climb up the rope ladder while the Mexican boat was riding mildly rough seas and striking the Princess ship with a bit of force.  I thought I had a photo but can't find it.  Cheers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bemidji Ty said:

This reminded me of an incident several years ago on a Princess MR cruise.  The ship had just left the pier in Puerto Vallarta when we see "that guy" (the recognizable loud drunk from the ship) yelling and waving his arms on the pier.  We all waved back at him.  Then, we saw him boarding a small, motorized boat and head for the ship.  He's on the bow, still yelling and waving his arms.  Our captain apparently decided to allow our ship to coast to a stop while a rope ladder was lowered from a door so he and his overserved girlfriend could climb up the rope ladder while the Mexican boat was riding mildly rough seas and striking the Princess ship with a bit of force.  I thought I had a photo but can't find it.  Cheers

Rope ladder. Just wow. If something goes wrong, the captain is 1st of charge on this.

4 hours ago, ldtr said:

Still pvsa. They boarded in one US poet and disembarked  in another. If they record it will be in a different US port.

Is PVSA held against individuals or the cruise line? Seems silly that the individual might be fined, arrested and maybe jailed for missing the ship and flying home.

Princess is fined PVSA and they pass that on to the passengerS.  Not Princess's fault that passenger missed the ship.  No one is arrested.  All fines and financial responsibilities fall on the passenger.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

Rope ladder. Just wow. If something goes wrong, the captain is 1st of charge on this.

That's how the pilot comes and goes.

Sometimes, it's even the pilot boat that picks up the pilot from the ship, and drops off the late passengers.

"Ladder 1 meter off the water, sir".

18 hours ago, DCThunder said:

How do you miss the ship in Skagway?  Their ain't that much to do there.

Rent car and drive up into Canada to Emerald Lake, Carcross, etc. for sightseeing, lose track of time or hit some sort of traffic issue or simply misjudge how long it will take to return. Thats my guess.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Rent car and drive up into Canada to Emerald Lake, Carcross, etc. for sightseeing, lose track of time or hit some sort of traffic issue or simply misjudge how long it will take to return. Thats my guess.

My guess is Skagway Brewing Company. 😁

• Haha 7

37 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

That’s why we are given the port authority phone number at each port, to call if any issues or delays getting back to the ship.

It’s also listed on the App>Port Guides.

There are at least two air services that connect Skagway to Juneau with daily flights, or the could charter a plane out of Juneau to come pick them up.  

I've seen people board a cruise ship from a sea plane in Glacier Bay.  

10 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

Is PVSA held against individuals or the cruise line? Seems silly that the individual might be fined, arrested and maybe jailed for missing the ship and flying home.

The ship is charged and the fine is passed on to the passenger. An even bigger impact is not being able to reboard at the next US port. Same problem in Hawaii for cruises close loopfrom US mainland

A couple of young adult males were dropped off in Skagway in May.   They got in a fight (that's not the point here).     They were each charged $750 (don't quote me on the exact amount).   They then had to take a ferry to Ketchikan and catch a return flight home.   

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

A couple of young adult males were dropped off in Skagway in May.   They got in a fight (that's not the point here).     They were each charged $750 (don't quote me on the exact amount).   They then had to take a ferry to Ketchikan and catch a return flight home.   

Yikes! What ship was that?

What should happen is that the ship should leave at precisely the posted time.  If the departure time is say 6:00 PM the ship should leave at 6:00 and 10 seconds even if a bunch of people are running down the dock.  If they did that it might teach the entitled slowpokes a lesson they would not forget.

We have a friend who was always late.  The joke was that she would be late for her own funeral.  One time  she and her husband were going to take a vacation in Hawaii - we live in Vegas.  Departure time for the Vegas to LAX was say 9:00 AM.  This means that the boarding gate closed about 15 minutes before the takeoff time.  She gets to the gate before departure time but after gate closure and they would not let her get onto the plane.  They missed their connection in LAX to Hawaii.  I am surprised that her husband did not kill her but you can be sure that she never did that again.

DON

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

What should happen is that the ship should leave at precisely the posted time.  If the departure time is say 6:00 PM the ship should leave at 6:00 and 10 seconds even if a bunch of people are running down the dock.  If they did that it might teach the entitled slowpokes a lesson they would not forget.

We have a friend who was always late.  The joke was that she would be late for her own funeral.  One time  she and her husband were going to take a vacation in Hawaii - we live in Vegas.  Departure time for the Vegas to LAX was say 9:00 AM.  This means that the boarding gate closed about 15 minutes before the takeoff time.  She gets to the gate before departure time but after gate closure and they would not let her get onto the plane.  They missed their connection in LAX to Hawaii.  I am surprised that her husband did not kill her but you can be sure that she never did that again.

DON

So many "could have avoided" here.

There's a direct flight from LAS to HNL

LAS is a "smaller" airport

You are supposed to check in 90 minutes to 2 hours before flight

TSA precheck

I realize I don't know the circumstances.  But I am almost always an "early" person. 

We have all watched pier runners.  They all have the same common thread.  

- the ship wouldn't leave without me

- I don't have to run, they see me coming

- It doesn't matter that 4000 passengers and the captain are waiting on me

- most often Carnival/RCL passengers (this could be due to size of ship or destination or)

Still waiting for video of Skagway passengers.  sigh

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 1