Tipping for Room Service

jag82177

What is the standard practice around tipping for room service when you have the Plus or Premier packages? Are room service gratuities included in the daily amount that the package covers? We have a lot of early mornings on our upcoming cruise so will probably be utilizing room service for breakfast most days.

If not included, should you tip in USD, Euros, or some other currency?

7 minutes ago, jag82177 said:

What is the standard practice around tipping for room service when you have the Plus or Premier packages? Are room service gratuities included in the daily amount that the package covers? We have a lot of early mornings on our upcoming cruise so will probably be utilizing room service for breakfast most days.

We usually tip a few dollars but it certainly isn’t required. I’d tip in USD on cruises from the US and Euros in Europe and either USD or Euros in areas like Southeast Asia where you are in a number of different countries although a local currency would certainly be accepted.

I've just decided to begin to remove all auto gratuities until Princess gives a definitive answer to exactly where each $ of the $16 per person per day gets distributed to.

Transparency - that's all I'm asking for my money

and we currently leave on the auto gratuity, and bribe our cabin steward and staff in Vines

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I've just decided to begin to remove all auto gratuities until Princess gives a definitive answer to exactly where each $ of the $16 per person per day gets distributed to.

Transparency - that's all I'm asking for my money

and we currently leave on the auto gratuity, and bribe our cabin steward and staff in Vines

You should have asked them who gets to keep the gratuities for the drink package if a person orders less than 15 drinks.

Do the crew get to split it or does it go to the Princess fund? 

Edited by MissP22

19 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

You should have asked them who gets to keep the gratuities for the drink package if a person orders less than 15 drinks.

Do the crew get to split it or does it go to the Princess fund? 

At $60/day there's no way the full tips of 15 drinks/day are part of that. I assume I'm under-tipping when I drink anything near the 15 limit.  At an average tip of $1.50-$2.00/drink that's $23-30/day in gratuities for 15 drinks.  Not a chance that much of your $60 goes to gratuities. 

The old drink packages it was like $11-$12 of gratuities part of the package price.  The water is a little muddier with the new plus package and all the other things included, but probably safe to bet it's a similar amount that goes to the crew as drink gratuities, and I think that's all they get regardless of how much you actually consume, for better or worse.  If I get a lot of use out of my drink package I start tipping out of pocket based on this.

Edited by PMGS247
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, antsp said:

So you tip double then. 

Yes. It's the same auto-gratuity that occurs at the bar or restaurant where I don't tip extra, but this time someone's bringing it all the way to my room.  I give a little extra.  I don't do it too often either. Maybe I'd find a way to justify not doing it if I was a room service regular but it's once or twice a cruise, no big deal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, antsp said:

Does any other staff afford this luxury, of just room service staff

I can answer for me since I have a similar outlook to miagirl on the room service tipping; I will also tip my cabin steward at the end of the week on top of the auto-grats.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

I can answer for me since I have a similar outlook to miagirl on the room service tipping; I will also tip my cabin steward at the end of the week on top of the auto-grats.

Absolutely agree, with the room steward 

39 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

Room service is one of the few events where I tip every time I use it.

We always tip for room service and have drinks delivered in about 5 minutes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jag82177 said:

1. What is the standard practice around tipping for room service when you have the Plus or Premier packages?

There is no standard. Personally, I think you've paid up front, but others like to give more.

2. Are room service gratuities included in the daily amount that the package covers?

Yes. More comprehensive answer, if you are going to buy anything related to your cruise, you should read what it covers.

3. We have a lot of early mornings on our upcoming cruise so will probably be utilizing room service for breakfast most days.

Just an FYI, most Princess ships have an International Cafe which is open 24 hours. You can look on the Princess website to find out which of their ships have this

4. If not included, should you tip in USD, Euros, or some other...

The currency onboard Princess ships is US$. But consider that the crew goes ashore for personal items, snacks and goodies, wherever the ship goes during their contract.  In their position, it's nice to have some local currency. If they're in Europe for their contract, Euros.

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I’d tip in USD on cruises from the US and Euros in Europe and either USD or Euros in areas like Southeast Asia where you are in a number of different countries although a local currency would certainly be accepted.

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Unless I was cruising out of a European port, I would tip in US$.  

USD is the onboard currency on Princess cruises out of Europe.  If I had Euros to get rid of I'd tip with them and I'm sure the staff would take them, but wouldn't withdraw or change USD for Euros because the crew will most certainly accept USD.

I found another use for the wall magnets about 3 cruises ago, they are awesome for easy access to my tip $$ that I happy to give to the person who brings my order. They are usually in and out so quick that I like to be prepared.  Some of our cabins are either way aft or at the very front of the ship, so a lot of walking.   We also order to Skywalkers so worth it to us.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, miagirl said:

Yep, I tip double then.  For room service delivery.

Prior to the daily tip now part of your end of cruise bill cruise ships had recommendations for your waiter, assistant waiter, dining maitde, room steward and head of housekeeping.  Those daily fees did not include room service.

6 hours ago, jag82177 said:

I would tip in the currency of the ship you are on.