Trivia would be more fun without cheaters

USU_Aggie

I played only once. It's great for the passengers who need to prove that they are  smartest person in the room. It's also another way for Carnival Corp to save money on entertainment. A lot of their entertainment consisits of us passengers entertaining each other.

Edited by BobbiSox
typo
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, BobbiSox said:

I played only once. It's great for the passengers who need to prove that they are  smartest person in the room. It's also another way for Carnival Corp to save money on entertainment. A lot of their entertainment consisits of us passengers entertaining each other.

Since most trivia occurs during the day it can be a great time filler.

• Like 1

Carnival has not changed any of the questions in a very long time.  I compared my answers to a Big Bang Theory trivia between three cruises and answers are also in the same order.  It’s not really cheating if you have already heard the answers.  This is in Carnival to update the questions.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Since most trivia occurs during the day it can be a great time filler.

And it is fun. And I have also found that since the same people seem to play, it is a good way to meet some of the fellow passengers.

• Like 5

I once happened by chance to play with a dream team for Trivia.  We met at the first Trivia game of the cruise and decided to play together.

Turns out we had a wide range of professions, hobbies and interests represented by the six of us.

We won every game and were accused of cheating by other. The person running the games started to stand by our group and watch us as we played.

He then vouched for our wins for the rest of the cruise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stejank said:

Carnival has not changed any of the questions in a very long time.  I compared my answers to a Big Bang Theory trivia between three cruises and answers are also in the same order.  It’s not really cheating if you have already heard the answers.  This is in Carnival to update the questions.  

They have a book with questions and answers. What they need to do is get a new book or an updated version of the one they use.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TreyB said:

Drunk trivia can be a good time. 

They should have a trivia contest at night in addition to the ones in the mornings or afternoons. That could really be interesting.  One ship had an 80s name that tune at 7:00 p.m. in the lobby.  It was a blast.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

I played only once. It's great for the passengers who need to prove that they are  smartest person in the room.

Those passengers don't have to prove they are the smartest ones in the rooms.

Other passengers that are present prove it for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, USU_Aggie said:

So the trivia host (ironically a British person who knew literally nothing about HP or how to pronounce anything, but that didn't bother me) asks the 5 perfect score groups to nominate their most talented Potter nerd for a tie break. Each group sent up 1 person. The question was how many knuts are in a galleon. This is like asking how many pennies are in a $100 bill, except much harder because Wizarding money makes no sense. 

The answer for context is 493. I didn't know it but anybody who has read HP would know it was a lot. 

The 4 losing answers ranged from 5 to 100 and then one guess of 500. The group that claimed a perfect score on divas and HP said 5! I'd say it's the equivalent to being asked how many US presidents have there been and answering 833. If you know enough about HP to answer even 50% of the questions correctly, you know it isn't 5. 

The person who guessed 500 came from one of the clearly Potter-crazed groups. Perhaps they got a perfect score. But the other four clearly cheated. 

Anyway, this is my long rant on a very small issue. I wish carnival could grade the trivia answers instead of groups self-grading. 

I 100% agree with you--cheaters tick me off.

BUT I have read all the HP books a few times (school librarian here) & the movies as well.

I would have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA regarding that money question.

When people read, they remember different things--things that "speak" to our personal experiences & memories. I have zero recollection of specific wizard money value!

21 hours ago, hard_eight said:

Agreed, takes the fun out of it. Should be held in a wifi free area, and should swap for grading.

Honestly, I'm glad they don't swap for answers.  Not because I cheat, I just don't want anyone to see my embarrassingly wrong answers.  I actually do enjoy a nice ship on a stick, it's a nice little keepsake, but I'd rather lose than be subjected to that trauma.  I know not everyone feels that way.

On my last few cruises, they have been giving keychains of some sort, or something?  Not ship specific, if I recall.  That takes some of the sting out when I lose legitimately, to cheaters.  I can do without the little metal whatever they are putting up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

Honestly, I'm glad they don't swap for answers.  Not because I cheat, I just don't want anyone to see my embarrassingly wrong answers.  I actually do enjoy a nice ship on a stick, it's a nice little keepsake, but I'd rather lose than be subjected to that trauma.  I know not everyone feels that way.

On my last few cruises, they have been giving keychains of some sort, or something?  Not ship specific, if I recall.  That takes some of the sting out when I lose legitimately, to cheaters.  I can do without the little metal whatever they are putting up.

On the Glory a couple of months ago the SoS was back as I recall, although it might be wishful thinking on my part. No one would be able to cross check my answers because of my cruddy handwriting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

On the Glory a couple of months ago the SoS was back as I recall, although it might be wishful thinking on my part. No one would be able to cross check my answers because of my cruddy handwriting.

Same here, I make a Dr look like calligraphy. 

• Haha 1

There was a couple that used to cruise Carnival a lot and I would see them at trivia with a notebook of the trivia questions and answers, they had the notebook in plain sight.  They would refer to their notebook with each question and would win every trivia they played.  There is no way the staff member running the trivia couldn't have seen this.  I play trivia for the fun of it and I don't care if I win or lose, but that pissed me off.  

• Like 4

I am also annoyed by the cheaters. Simply because it isn’t good sportsmanship. The worst example for us was also HP trivia. My daughter and I had 18 correct until a little girl near us claimed she had gotten all of them right. The thing is, she and her dad had arrived four questions in and didn’t ask for repeats of questions. The Fun Squad person had noticed and asked how they got the first ones right when they hadn’t been there. 🙄 They didn’t know what to say so he had a tie breaker which my daughter won with the ease. This little girl was like 7 whereas my daughter who was 14 had grown up in the time period when you had to wait for the next book to come out. We saw this same father daughter duo cheat at several games over the week. Way to teach your kid a lesson in dishonesty. 

I enjoy trying to do my best and have fun with the questions. I never expect to win but it would be nice if it were more fair.

• Like 3

I have won trophies for all the Carnival ships that I ‘ve sailed except for the Mardi Gras. I won a game and a trivia but the host was only giving medals.

Edited by Viajera7
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nofocruiser said:

There was a couple that used to cruise Carnival a lot and I would see them at trivia with a notebook of the trivia questions and answers, they had the notebook in plain sight.  They would refer to their notebook with each question and would win every trivia they played.  There is no way the staff member running the trivia couldn't have seen this.  I play trivia for the fun of it and I don't care if I win or lose, but that pissed me off.  

I have seen them too, and the Fun Squad just ignore their obvious cheating.

• Like 3

I have never played any cruise ship trivia games, although I do enjoy watching Jeopardy.  I do know that cell phones make it all too easy to "do research."  No wonder teachers do not want phones in classrooms.  Essay questions are always best!

My dad used to win all the table tennis contests.  That was a game of SKILL.

I remember the Carnival Hairy Chest contests.  That was a game of BIOLOGICAL luck.

My brother likes the Karaoke singing.  He says it is all in the stylistic approach--it is okay if you are not perfect with all the lyrics.

You can find me dancing in the nightclubs.  They never give out trophies, but I always feel like I am winning when I am spinning!

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2023 at 3:33 PM, asalligo said:

Agree completely, used to be my favorite activity and now it is always someone winning who is just cheating. 

I won a trivia on my last cruise. I hadn't heard the questions before, and anyone watching me saw me using my phone as a clipboard to write on (they wouldn't know that I don't buy internet). It was guess the year that something happened. So it's possible to win without cheating sometimes.

On 6/27/2023 at 8:47 PM, nwcruiselover said:

I have seen them too, and the Fun Squad just ignore their obvious cheating.

Just off the Carnival Liberty this morning.  The Fun Squad Host did in fact call out the cheaters.  He did it in a jovial way, saying things like Dr. Goggle is never wrong.  And of the three games, not one of the cheaters won.  In fact, all three came down to face off tie-breakers where you had to answer standing up without the assistance of your cellphone.  

• Like 2

Many of the "correct" answers are so out of date that it's absurd, especially for the sports trivia.  DH and I win a lot because we have heard the same trivia about a thousand times at this point because they don't switch them up enough.  Some of the answers are just wrong and always were. During one trivia they asked which president was the oldest to be sworn in.  The answer the host had was Trump.  Obviously that's not current, but the truth is that it wasn't Trump ever.  Reagan served two terms, and thus was sworn in twice, the second time he was older than Trump was when sworn in once.  I wasn't about to spend cruise time arguing, but I have no idea where they come up the information sometimes🙄. We still play just  to see if we're still capable of absorbing and retaining information, LOL!  If we win we always give the prize to the next closest winner, or a kid that's either participating or walking by.  

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 11:54 AM, odis said:

They should have a trivia contest at night in addition to the ones in the mornings or afternoons. That could really be interesting.  One ship had an 80s name that tune at 7:00 p.m. in the lobby.  It was a blast.

Name that tune, when they play a few notes of a song is fun except for the people who "sing" out the answer and spoil the game.  C'mon, you can sing (or whatever you call it) it out after the trivia is over and the host plays the answer.

• Like 1