What Type of Travel Agent Assistance Between Two Cruises?

erdufylla

I know the discussion of travel agents / agencies is strictly controlled here, so I’m hoping to keep this conversation completely above board. I’m not looking for specific names or references, just some insight into what type of assistance I should be seeking for my trip next summer.

I’ve got two cruises booked, not quite back-to-back. The first is a transatlantic that will get me to Amsterdam, and then I’ve got roughly a week to kill before I’m due in Copenhagen to board the next cruise. This will be my first time in Europe, and I’ll be traveling solo. 

I’ve always booked my cruises and other domestic trips either directly or through a big box store, and while I’ve booked these two cruises themselves directly through HAL, I think I’d be best off with more personalized assistance for that week in Europe between the two cruises. But I’ve never used a travel agent aside from the big box stores and their pre-packaged offerings before, so I’m not sure what’s the best approach or where to start. What do you all find the best type of agent/agency to work with, for a combination of cruising and other trip planning, and how do you find one that’s right for you? Do you fill out a form on a larger online agency’s website and let them connect you with someone? Do a local search and find a reputable agent in your own town? What questions do you ask when you’re talking with an agent, to tell if they’ll be a good fit?

Any advice is much appreciated!

I did something similar a few years ago. I used a travel agency that had nothing to do with cruises to plan my travel between Barcelona, Madrid, Porto, The Azores, and Lisbon. I did my own flights because that agency didn't handle air fare to the US. They did a wonderful job.

That is a good region to explore solo.  Credit cards are king so money exchange is easy, English is widely spoken and public transportation in town is abundant and clean, crime is very low.  Multiple ventures are nearby.

I don’t know your budget but you could set up camp in Amsterdam and at the lower end book day tours through Viator or simply hop the train to recreate those same tours solo. At the upper end there are private driver services which will take you on those day tours.  

It is worth noting a lot of packaged multi day tours and river cruises depart from Amsterdam, it is sort of a tourist hub 

• Like 1

In Europe, trains between international cities (and some in-country cities) go up in price the closer you get to the travel date, so you should book early if possible.   I like using trainline.   It is easy to use and provides updates to changes in schedules and cancelations.  We had an hour delay on one train, and it helped with a partial refund we were entitled to due to the delay.  If using Amsterdam as a base for a week, we really like staying at the Dutch Master Apartments.  It is very easy to do day trips from Amsterdam, either through day tours, or on your own using the trains.  Consider doing a day trip (we used get your guide) to Giethoorn.  It is beautiful and too far away for a day trip on a cruise and not very easy to get to using public transportation.  Many tours combine it with a stop at Zaanse Schans.  Also, the same big box store you used in the past may have a package deal for the week (with transportation and excursions).  

• Like 1

Fast Trains are one of the best modes of transport for Europe.   We were going to take train from Amsterdam to Paris in one day until we read that one guy ran amok on the train.  We use Marriott hotels so we can cancel and book on the fly.   Rick Steves recommend to get cash from ATM at Banks and not use Debit or Credit cards due to fraud.   Cards should be ok to use for shopping at well known brands.  We have Schwab debit card that charges no ATM fee.  Do watch you tube videos on how to protect yourself from scammers and thieves.

Peter

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SFO Peter said:

Rick Steves recommend to get cash from ATM at Banks and not use Debit or Credit cards due to fraud

That advice seems very out of date! Yes, if you feel you need some cash, a bank ATM is a good choice. But, we haven't used cash at all in Europe for our last few trips.

• Like 2

I travel a lot on my own before, after and between cruises. I use booking sites for hotels and you can find tours on those sites also. Then, I search, for example, "Amsterdam tourism" and see what there is to see and do. I then use Google maps to find out how to get there. For example, use your hotel as a starting point and the place to be visited as the destination and then search using the walking, public transport and taxi options.  You'll find it easy to do - and I am assumig here that you perhaps haven't tried this before.   Put Google maps on your phone and get a local sim card so that you can use it while you are out and about. Also, although most people in Europe speak English, it is helpful to put Google Translate on your phone and download the local language.  When cruising, I use this same process for touring instead of taking shore excursions all the time. The starting point would be for example, Oslo cruise terminal, and Google maps will find that for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exciting to spend a week traveling from Amsterdam to Copenhagen! There are two websites that are invaluable for taking trains between Amsterdam and Copenhagen. The first will answer many questions that you may have.  I have followed "Seat 61's" advice for hotels and restaurants and have been very pleased. The second is a site that is an easy look-up for possible routings, other than direct, that shows maps to see more of the countries. Both are easy to become proficient at.

https://www.seat61.com/

https://www.sbb.ch/en

When traveling in Italy on trains, I use either the Trenitalia or Italo sites directly. But for train travel in other countries I use "Rail Europe." I used Rail Europe for France and Spain last year and now have booked my Hamburg to Copenhagen DSB train for this September.

Enjoy your  travels!

- Jack

• Thanks 1

To start we recommend that you read or get his TV programs on Europe .He is Rick Steeves  .

We have been to Amsterdam & sis a river cruise for 7 days down the Rhine river to Basil Switzerland 

As far as hotels are concerned  inEurope we only book  into Hilton hotels .If you are not yet a Hilton honors member ,join them .Get the $05 per year Aspire Credit card from American Express Hilton honors which will make you Gold  level .That is more important in the USA .Save as many points as you can in advance ,Book only into Hilton Executive floors ,book 5 days get the 6th free ,The exercutive floor gets you entry into the executive lounge ,very important to do that because you eat & frink for free ,Un 2008 in Rome  ,we saved over $3000  in food & drink costs 

Get the Chase Sapphire credit card as well ,$06 per year ,First off it will insure your trip using it to pay some or most of the trip cost .with baggage ,with that get the Allianz Travel insurance.com which fits toyr need s . You buy it cheaper for a whole year than individual insurance .This will  give you medical ,med vac & baggage ie .As I said much better than a individual policy for one trip & usually much cheaper . It also will cover rental car 

I have never used any Travel Agent tp [lan my land side trips . Doing the research you learn more  that way  & it becomes real fun & educational. I do full day touring either on my own or  using  Viator.com for your tours . .You do not need the Amsterdam card ,The Ricks museum for Rembrant & the Picaso museum as easily reached ,The Ann Frank house is also easy to get to  .Amsrterdam has over 500,000 bicycles .They have less  cars & more bicycles 

Have Fun planing & then doing .You will meet a lot of nice people .BTW the surface transport is great in Amsterdam ,light rail  . Use only the Chase Sapphire to pay bills because there  is NO Exchange rate dees , USE this web site XE.com to covert US dollars to euors , Have 2 ATM cards & use only at the foreign airport ATM machines to get Euros  Why 2 cards because if one does not work the other will .It happened to me even though I had plenty of money behind both ATM cards . NEVER NEVER use ATM cards to pay bills .because you have NO protection with a ATM only protection is a credit card

Make sure you get a money belt ,Yes unfortunately there are some very capable pick pockets .Carry only in cash in a front pocket what you may need that day . I use a thing around my neck that holds all money ,copies for my pass ports ,credit cards ie .DO NOT use pocket books in Europe unless the strap crosses your body ,so the 2nd person on a vesper scooter can't rip it off of you 

Please please leave your original pass port ,airline tickets in the hotel room safe .Just keep copies with you

Hope that we where of help to you here 😀

Cliff

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Exciting to spend a week traveling from Amsterdam to Copenhagen! There are two websites that are invaluable for taking trains between Amsterdam and Copenhagen. The first will answer many questions that you may have.  I have followed "Seat 61's" advice for hotels and restaurants and have been very pleased. The second is a site that is an easy look-up for possible routings, other than direct, that shows maps to see more of the countries. Both are easy to become proficient at.

https://www.seat61.com/

https://www.sbb.ch/en

When traveling in Italy on trains, I use either the Trenitalia or Italo sites directly. But for train travel in other countries I use "Rail Europe." I used Rail Europe for France and Spain last year and now have booked my Hamburg to Copenhagen DSB train for this September.

Enjoy your  travels!

- Jack

I wonder if the Gypsy Apps wirk in Europe .They are really great in the USA .You just fo not need a tour guise & only $10 each  .Gives you all the info you need even driving a rental car 

• Like 1

I know Hilton Hotels in Europe have the Executive lounges but ,does any one know if Marriott Bonvoy gas any thing  like that ?

We use both Hilton  & Marriotts in the USA on points for free rooms .Here n the USA book 4 nights &  get 5th night free with both Hilton hotels or Marriotts .Europe it is 6 nights get 6th free for Hilton Hotels

Cliff

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

Paging @Jim_Iainto the white courtesy phone…

im tagging this member who I believe sails mostly Celebrity, because he recently spent a week in Amsterdam between cruises, also doing a Live From on the Celebrity board.  I believe he makes his arrangements independently.  EM

• Like 1

Thank you all for such wonderful information and advice! @Heartgrove, I will definitely look up those websites and use them in my planning! I’m also interested in hearing about Marriott Bonvoy vs Hilton Honors, as I currently have the former, but not the latter. 

Edited by erdufylla

2 minutes ago, erdufylla said:

Thank you all for such wonderful information and advice! @Heartgrove, I will definitely look up those websites and use them in my planning! I’m also interested in hearing about Marriott Bonvoy vs Hilton Honors, as I currently have the former, but not the latter. 

What we recommend is to phone Marriott & ask them do they have a   lounge with free food & drimks if you book  into certain type rooms or suites . Trust me food in europe is very very pricy when you eat  out   .In amsterdam in 2009 2 breakfast L2 eggs ,toast ,hash crowns & coffee no juice was $35 with out tip .Rome in 2009 lunch one was pasta & seltzer ,Mine was pasta sausage  diet coke  ,$69 with out tip 

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Paging @Jim_Iainto the white courtesy phone…

im tagging this member who I believe sails mostly Celebrity, because he recently spent a week in Amsterdam between cruises, also doing a Live From on the Celebrity board.  I believe he makes his arrangements independently.  EM

We were in Amsterdam for a full week between cruises.    Since we had Iain's BIL and Sister joining us we booked an AirBnB with two full bedrooms, Kitchen, Bathrooms and private Deck.   It was perfect for our needs and far less expensive then booking two hotel rooms and having to eat all of our meals out.  

After being on the ship for 3 1/2 weeks it was nice to just have some comfort food.

In our Roll Call for the Apex TA there were LOTS of hotel recommendations.  

• Like 1

You’ve asked for agency advice but, so far, the responses are related to independent travel.  Are you open to independent arrangements or are you more inclined to agencies? 

I do all my own travel planning.  Europe is relatively uncomplicated if you do your homework.  The critical item I’ve picked up from your first post is that you need to get from Amsterdam to Copenhagen in “roughly a week”.  Where I would begin is to know exactly how many days I have between disembarkation and embarkation.  With that information I would know whether I would need to fly within a day or two or if I can take a series of transports to targeted areas of interest, with Copenhagen as the final stop.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

You’ve asked for agency advice but, so far, the responses are related to independent travel.  Are you open to independent arrangements or are you more inclined to agencies? 

I do all my own travel planning.  Europe is relatively uncomplicated if you do your homework.  The critical item I’ve picked up from your first post is that you need to get from Amsterdam to Copenhagen in “roughly a week”.  Where I would begin is to know exactly how many days I have between disembarkation and embarkation.  With that information I would know whether I would need to fly within a day or two or if I can take a series of transports to targeted areas of interest, with Copenhagen as the final stop.  

I’m generally a planner. Very Type A, with spreadsheets and highlighters and all sorts of pro/con lists. But I’ve also been dealing with heightened general anxiety since COVID, and the idea of planning a week in Europe is somewhat overwhelming to me, since it’s not anything I’ve ever researched or experienced before. I’m capable of it, but I expect it will stress me out (on the planning side, trying to make the right choice, worrying about the choices I’ve made, comparing too many options and getting lost in a sea of paperwork and potential plans, etc., and on the travel side, worrying about dealing with unforeseen problems or last-minute changes on my own in a foreign country), and I don’t really want to make this a stressful experience. So I’m thinking, at least for this first big foreign solo trip, I’d like to work with a TA.

The first cruise docks in Amsterdam on 5/25, and the second one leaves Copenhagen on 6/1. At the moment, I’m thinking I’ll probably split the difference, spending a few days in Amsterdam, and then either take a train or a flight to Copenhagen, and spend a few days there before getting on the next cruise. I don’t mind guiding a TA to things I’d like to do/see, but having someone who knows what areas are safe, a good deal, easy to get to/from, etc., and having someone I could get in touch with to help if plans go awry would ease my mind, I think.

28 minutes ago, erdufylla said:

I’m generally a planner. Very Type A, with spreadsheets and highlighters and all sorts of pro/con lists. But I’ve also been dealing with heightened general anxiety since COVID, and the idea of planning a week in Europe is somewhat overwhelming to me, since it’s not anything I’ve ever researched or experienced before. I’m capable of it, but I expect it will stress me out (on the planning side, trying to make the right choice, worrying about the choices I’ve made, comparing too many options and getting lost in a sea of paperwork and potential plans, etc., and on the travel side, worrying about dealing with unforeseen problems or last-minute changes on my own in a foreign country), and I don’t really want to make this a stressful experience. So I’m thinking, at least for this first big foreign solo trip, I’d like to work with a TA.

The first cruise docks in Amsterdam on 5/25, and the second one leaves Copenhagen on 6/1. At the moment, I’m thinking I’ll probably split the difference, spending a few days in Amsterdam, and then either take a train or a flight to Copenhagen, and spend a few days there before getting on the next cruise. I don’t mind guiding a TA to things I’d like to do/see, but having someone who knows what areas are safe, a good deal, easy to get to/from, etc., and having someone I could get in touch with to help if plans go awry would ease my mind, I think.

Both Amsterdam and Copenhagen are safe but, given what you’ve said, I would fly vs taking the train because you’ll be dealing with a minimum of 3 connections.  I spend a lot of time using zoom on Google maps and reading TripAdvisor (and other) reviews when I’m planning a trip.  Your level of comfort will improve once you narrow down your choices and familiarize yourself with the locations, but I understand your concerns.  Happy to help wherever I can, as I’m sure others are too.  🙂

Editing to add:  If it helps at all, we boarded in Amsterdam a few weeks ago and were moored right at the Movenpick Hotel.  From there it is a short walk to the train station, which is directly across the street from the canal boat rides.  You’ll find plenty of reading material in the Ports of Call Forum but you’ve probably already found it.  😉

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Thanks 1

As another solo traveler, I think the most important thing is to first sit down and make lists of what you want or expect from your trip: what are YOUR likes and dislikes, what is your budget, what is within your comfort level. Read books, watch YouTube videos or documentaries and make notes of what you want to do. Only when you have a good handle on that would I suggest you talk to a travel agent. If s/he doesn't listen to you, find another one. If they do listen and "get" you, then you've got a keeper.

You'll find on sites like Cruise Critic that people will push you toward their own ideas of how best to travel -- which may or may not be YOUR idea of how to travel. I read a lot of the preceding suggestions on this thread and was screaming "No, No No!" -- but we are not you. 

For example, I would never stay in a chain hotel in Europe; I prefer the charm of smaller local hotels. As a solo I tend to avoid apartment rentals because I like the added security of being in a hotel and having the ability to ask the concierge or other staff for any help or info that may be needed. (I like to think they'd notice if I didn't show up for a day... 😁)

Other things as a solo: 

I would never travel without a smart phone from the standpoint of 1) being able to navigate myself out of a situation where I may have gotten myself turned around or lost, 2) having a translation app, 3) being able to keep tabs on any fraudulent activity from my travel bank account or credit card, and much more. Last but not least, if you find yourself in any kind of bad situation, make a note of how to call for help in that specific country.

Don't overdo your first big trip. It sounds great in theory to go to six different places in a week or take train trips every day. In reality, it may be better to really get to know one city well. Some of my best travel has been to places where I've stayed put for at least a week in a single place. 

Some days, as a solo, it may feel hard to get up and get going when you're on your own. I tend to make silly little rules for myself when traveling to keep me from just sitting around without someone to nudge me out the door. For example, one "rule" is to never eat dinner in your hotel -- go out and find somewhere interesting. (Of course, if it is storming to beat the band, all bets are off....). Or I will try to engage locals in conversation -- I'll ask the saleslady in the shop where she goes to eat lunch, or ask the local leading the walking tour what "hidden gem" site he'd recommend for me because I'm interested in ______.

Good luck with your planning. I can truthfully say that the more you plan and travel on your own, the easier it gets -- one metro system or train station operates much like another.  (And honestly, the more I do it, the more I like it!)

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much @*Miss G* and @cruisemom42! Your encouragement and tips mean a lot to me, and are very, very welcome. This trip is very much in the early planning stages and morphing as I go — I only just added the TA cruise this week, after two weeks of pipe dreaming it and thinking it sounded silly and unreasonable, and then being convinced by friends and family that it wasn’t and I should take the plunge. I love traveling, I love cruising, and after years of saying I wanted to do more international traveling and putting it off because no one ever wanted to do the same trips I did, I’m taking the plunge to do this on my own, because no time like the present, right? Your words of encouragement have made me feel better about the planning of it, and I’ve got time to figure it all out. 🙂 Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So if something goes wrong in Europe - what a train is late, the ship is late you have to reschedule a hotel for one night maybe? Frankly your agent will probably be asleep on on a Sunday (timezones). 

Research and book a flight AMS-Copenhagen - you'll get one for very little money - add on luggage as required. 

Book 3 nights in Amsterdam and 3 nights in Copenhagen- use booking dot com and choose cancellable bookings - that way if something else comes up you've lost nothing - you shouldn't have to pay anything in advance. 

That's it that's all you have to do. Really you can tie yourself in knots organizing tours, restaraunts etc - but you don't need to.  Both cities have more than enough to fill 3 days with. 

• Like 4

I strongly discourage using third-party booking sites.  Some are fine for doing research but they will add additional layers (and possible fees or loss of payment) should you need to make changes or cancellations.  Lowest level rooms given, and loss of rewards points, are another factor.  In addition, layers allow for blame to be shifted to the other party, whether it’s legitimate or not.  Go to the source and eliminate the frustration.

Completely agree with @cruisemom42 regarding small unique inns.  Some of my most memorable stays have been in places which are hundreds of years old.  The service is personalized and the staff have abundant knowledge of the area.  They will have pamphlets and information on guided tours and recommendations and will ask about your day when they see you.  This provides the level of comfort and security which @cruisemom42 mentions; they notice when they haven’t seen you for a while and it gives you a touchstone and sense of familiarity.  In the planning stages, they are responsive to emails and able to answer any questions or provide solutions.  Larger chains can leave you feeling like a small fish in a big ocean and they normally employ staff from other countries who are not familiar with the area you are in.

Where to find these quaint little inns?  Google “best neighborhoods in… “.  Then google-map the neighborhood.  Is it within walking distance of areas of interest or do you have to commute?  When you have the area narrowed down, google boutique hotels in that neighborhood.  Don’t read just the top picks which google sends you.  Keep drilling down from there.  I generally skip past the booking sites and read blogs and small articles.  Expats and locals pick up on things which big-name sites miss.  When you find something which looks interesting, enter the name and add “reviews” at the end.  

With regard to Copenhagen, I highly recommend The Admiral Hotel.  It has been renovated since my last stay (sadly, because I loved the quirkiness but I get that they have to remain current).  It is within walking distance of The Royal Palace and fantastic food and scenery in Nyhavn.  (Both, literally, steps away.)  Everything is at your fingertips, including tours and ferries, all within a safe area.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

100% agree with those above like Lissie who recommend flying direct between Amsterdam and Copenhagen rather than taking the train, especially for a first timer in Europe who is traveling solo.  The train journey between those two cities requires 2 transfers in Germany, and the trains in Germany are (surprisingly) unreliable at the best of times, and have been a disaster this year.  I took a train trip there in February this year that was supposed to involve one transfer, but due to track maintenance works (which are happening all of the time) which caused a long delay on the first leg (even though it left on time), I missed my connection and ended up taking SEVEN different connections (including several local city commuter trains...) to get to my destination, FIVE hours later than originally scheduled.  I would say that 33%+ of the train trips I have taken in Germany over the years that involved transfers have had missed connections and the need to figure out a new itinerary.  As you also describe yourself as a type-A person who likes to plan down to the detail, I suspect you would really want to avoid that risk, and having to figure out on the fly where to go to get info on a new itinerary (and which line to wait in, etc etc.) - especially, again, as this is your first time in Europe.   Amsterdam and Copenhagen are wonderful cities with tons to do and are also a lot more interesting than any of the cities (like Hamburg) that you might stop at between on a train.  

• Thanks 1