Ruby princess June 26 sailing cursed cruise?

lighting

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/family-contracts-covid-on-board-ruby-princess-cruise/,  my group had 7 cases the day of and the day after we disembark.  The night before disembarking, we had a medical emergence when a medi-eva  helicopter was sent out.  Anyone knows what happened? We heard it was a stroke patient but was never taken off ship.  Finally the docking incident?  

I understand your concerns, but the news loves to publish stories like this. It seems as though “the family” took their story to the news station.  I am not doubting these things happen to these passengers.  

Did they purchase insurance or seeking compensation through publicity?

Did they wear masks?

Were they vaccinated?

Yes, it is still possible to get COVID; on or off a ship.  Was the voyage “cursed”. I don’t think so, in my opinion.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I have had Covid twice in less than a year. Mild with low fever. I do not know anyone in. My family or group of friends who have not had it at least once. This has nothing to do with a cursed cruise or ship

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I have had Covid twice in less than a year. Mild with low fever. I do not know anyone in. My family or group of friends who have not had it at least once. This has nothing to do with a cursed cruise or ship

I know of, at least, 4 of my immediate family members who have not had covid yet.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I know of, at least, 4 of my immediate family members who have not had covid yet.  

Do they not travel or come in contact with people in crowded situations ?

I was on a different Alaskan cruise (not Princess) the same week. Several people in our social media group including my husband have reported tending positive since returning. Last November I came home from a TA cruise and tested positive. I truly believe this has little to nothing to do with the ship. I have no data but I suspect the rate is higher on longer cruises or itineraries where passengers are indoors more than outside. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My brother runs a restaurant.  He is in contact with many people a day.  Just lucky, I guess.  Others have been living life normally.  Grandson avoided covid when everyone else in his family got it.  

I will agree, that most everyone has had covid.  A while back, the news reported 25% did not get it.  I'm sure that number is now smaller.  Sister just returned from a visit with her family.  Avoided COVID for 3 years.  Came home with covid.  

I took a Rapid Test to visit a friend in a nursing home.  Came back negative.  But testing site also do a PCR.  Came back positive.  Absolutely no symptoms.  I would never have known.  Antibodies test came back with a very high number.  Yup.  I had covid.  Don't know how I caught it since I didn't go anywhere during the height of the pandemic.  

But getting back to the OP.  I do know that cruises over 7 days will have more "reported" cases of Covid.  I'm sorry that OP got covid.  I've been on many long cruises without getting Covid.  But then again, I mask, I am vaccinated, I wash my hands, I avoid crowds and elevators, and I travel with insurance.  Trying to keep everything on my side.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I know more people who haven’t had Covid than people who have, including hubby and myself.  I just don’t understand it, but it’s a good thing!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

They never miss an opportunity to stir discontent and angst. 
Chicken little is alive and well. 🐔

Completely agree...but even I am sometimes stunned at the lengths they will go to...without regard for dignity and common sense...

• Like 2

This is a family who never should be cruising.

It seems like they expected the ship to have a full hospital facility. When advised to get off the ship for further testing, they refused and then they complained about getting a big bill from being in the Ship's medical center a long time......They're lucky Princess didn't force them off the ship if they needed medical care.

Also, covid is the new noro. Both will likely show up on many, if not all cruises. Like noro, it doesn't come from being on the ship, it comes from the people who bring it on the ship or the people one encounters at ports.... a risk one must take if desiring to travel...and not just on ships....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The Covid maps always showed the highest concentration in Alaska.  So no surprise people come back with it.  EM

I have found the issue in Alaska are the southbound sailings from Whittier. So many do the land portion and then get on with virus. I was on a cruise last year and on the  northbound cruise no Covid and the over 200 of us got it on the southbound leg

I have never had covid. Got back from 5 weeks in Europe travelling by plane, train and two organised coach tours. Didn't mask and my last booster was over 18 months ago.... didn't get so much as a sniffle....maybe I am immune or just lucky who knows.  

1 hour ago, johnkylie said:

I have never had covid. Got back from 5 weeks in Europe travelling by plane, train and two organised coach tours. Didn't mask and my last booster was over 18 months ago.... didn't get so much as a sniffle....maybe I am immune or just lucky who knows.  

Have you actually tested yourself   Husband and I both well and NO symptoms on a ship whuch tested everyone showed we were positive  so you may not know   also see posted above same situation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnkylie said:

Why would I test myself if I have no symptoms...

That was my sentiment too.  But it was a requirement to test in order to visit a friend in a nursing home.  Being positive meant that I could have infected some very vulnerable residents. I test regularly before and after any trip.  

I’m not saying that everyone should do as I do.  This is just what I do.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, johnkylie said:

Why would I test myself if I have no symptoms...

Point being, you may very well have had Covid and just not know. DH and myself have never had covid 'that we know of', but we also know there's a chance we've had it and just never had any symptoms. Doesn't really matter either way at this point.

• Like 1

I've never had it and I've been exposed a few times.  My husband came down with it in December of 2021.  I've been sick with other things and tested for it, due to my job requirements.  I, strangely, tested positive for Influenza A, instead of Covid.

1 hour ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I've never had it and I've been exposed a few times.  My husband came down with it in December of 2021.  I've been sick with other things and tested for it, due to my job requirements.  I, strangely, tested positive for Influenza A, instead of Covid.

I've also always been negative the handful of times I've been tested and I've most certainly been exposed on multiple occasions. 

On 7/10/2023 at 2:47 PM, lennythenose said:

I was on a different Alaskan cruise (not Princess) the same week. Several people in our social media group including my husband have reported tending positive since returning. Last November I came home from a TA cruise and tested positive. I truly believe this has little to nothing to do with the ship. I have no data but I suspect the rate is higher on longer cruises or itineraries where passengers are indoors more than outside. 

I can't determine the code.  We took 2 14 + day cruises... One up the eastern seaboard to Quebec (summer 22) and then Hawaii.(Feb 23.)  We escaped with no covid.  I know there were some that got it in 22 since 1/4 of our floor was cordoned off for covid cabins.   Go figure eh?  LOL

• Like 1