Just booked our first cruise! Passport thoughts....

Gopher40

My wife and I just booked Norwegian Encore for April 28 - May 5 next year to Alaska. Sailing out of Seattle and returning. Our first cruise ever. We are quite excited. One thing I am wondering about is whether or not we should spring for passports. I know they are not "required", but I've heard they are nice to have "just in case".  I also know they are going to run us approximately $350. We only have one Canada stop, which is on our last night. We more than likely will not be doing ANY international traveling any time soon, if at all, so if we got them it was only be for possible emergencies that could arise. Have any others went without on their cruises? Were there any issues? Also should point out we both have the "real ID's" (gold star on license).

I would never feel comfortable leaving the country without a passport, personally (minus some circumstances that don't appear to apply to you, such as a Spanish citizen going to Denmark or somewhere else in Schengen, for example). Never. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Gopher40 said:

ues? Also should point out we both have the "real ID's" (gold star on license).

For that sailing you don’t need a passport only government issued photo ID and a birth certificate. Always better to have a passport for any international travel but with only one stop in Canada you are probably okay. Your odds of an emergency need to fly home from that one port are low. Many do go without although it is generally not wise.

Real ID is meaningless for cruises and the requirement to have ReaL ID for domestic flights does not go into effect until May 2025 so I don’t know why you are pointing it out. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Gopher40 said:

My wife and I just booked Norwegian Encore for April 28 - May 5 next year to Alaska. Sailing out of Seattle and returning. Our first cruise ever. We are quite excited. One thing I am wondering about is whether or not we should spring for passports. I know they are not "required", but I've heard they are nice to have "just in case".  I also know they are going to run us approximately $350. We only have one Canada stop, which is on our last night. We more than likely will not be doing ANY international traveling any time soon, if at all, so if we got them it was only be for possible emergencies that could arise. Have any others went without on their cruises? Were there any issues? Also should point out we both have the "real ID's" (gold star on license).

Passports? They’re the “poster child” for “you don’t need them unless you need them.”

Din’t be “pennywise and pound foolish.” 
Get the passports and travel as much as you can as soon as you can.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Gopher40 said:

I pointed out the real ID since I thought some thing more than just a drivers license is required. Sounds like license and birth certificate will work.

Birth certificate and drivers license will work. Real ID is something that would be needed as ID for domestic airline flights in May 2025 if it is not postponed again. Real ID is not needed for cruises. 

I'm the queen of "Don't cruise without a passport" but for this case even I would be tempted to let it go. Like, everyone should have a passport but if you're going to Canada, you have enhanced ID and everyone traveling is a grown adult over the age of 16 I could be tempted to risk it.

I travel to Canada often without a passport. Many folks do in my community, which is 8 miles from the border. Everyone's travel patterns are different and their documentation needs are different. With only one foreign port of call, and that in Canada, your risk is even lower than the typical closed loop cruiser. I can't, and wouldn't, tell you what to do but I know that I wouldn't even consider getting a passport just for this trip.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SimplyMarvie said:

I'm the queen of "Don't cruise without a passport" but for this case even I would be tempted to let it go. Like, everyone should have a passport but if you're going to Canada, you have enhanced ID and everyone traveling is a grown adult over the age of 16 I could be tempted to risk it.

Real ID is not Enhanced ID. Enhanced ID is currently only offered by some states on the Canadian border. An Enhanced ID is proof of citizenship and can be used instead of a passport at US land and sea border crossings (but not air crossings). It has pretty much the same abilities as a passport card.

A Real ID requires better proof of identity than older state IDs but doesn't prove or require citizenship.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gopher40 said:

Does your ship stop in Skagway and, if so, would you want to take the train or a driving excursion into the Yukon there? That crosses the border into Canada and requires a passport (or enhanced ID - license would have a flag instead of a star). 

If you decide to get a passport, you might consider choosing a round trip cruise from Vancouver or a one way between Vancouver and Seward or Whittier instead of a round trip from Seattle. These sailings usually have better itineraries - better time in ports and usually an additional Alaska port instead of a stop in Victoria that is often too brief and too late to do much.

• Like 4

Agree about Skagway, but that cruise hits the big three of Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway plus Glacier Bay.  Ketchikan is a short day,  Victoria is a technical touch and go.  Sounds good for a first cruise to Alaska.  EM

10 minutes ago, Gopher40 said:

My current Michigan license says enhanced drivers license above my picture with an American flag by my picture, it also has a gold circle with white star in it in the upper right corner. 

Your EDL is sufficient to prove both citizenship and identity. I have one myself and cruised with it as a stand alone document.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gopher40 said:

My current Michigan license says enhanced drivers license above my picture with an American flag by my picture, it also has a gold circle with white star in it in the upper right corner. 

"Enhanced" IDs and "real" IDs are two entirely different things.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Passports? They’re the “poster child” for “you don’t need them unless you need them.”

Din’t be “pennywise and pound foolish.” 
Get the passports and travel as much as you can as soon as you can.

[emphasis added]

But here is another thought.  The passports are good for 10 years.

What if you see another cruise, with a great sale price, especially possible occasionally for last minute travel, when someone may have cancelled late?

We've been on both sides of that, cancelling days before a planned departure [yes, travel insurance, thank goodness! 😉 ] and also finding a terrific forward view suite for an Alaska cruise, at almost the last minute, at an incredibly low price.  We *pounced*, and had the best view of the Alaska coast, with a huge balcony and hot tub, the entire way from Vancouver to Seward!

(No, that trip wouldn't have *required* a passport, but some others would.)

Point is, once you have the passport, you just don't have to worry about that for another 10 years (well, 9, given the need to plan ahead for the renewal).  Especially these days, getting a passport usually isn't a fast process, and I doubt it will change much very fast.

It's just one less thing to need to deal with in the future: Does Caribbean Cruise X on cruiseline A need a passport or not?  (You can read in several CC sections about how the requirements aren't always clear, and a cruiseline might have more restrictive policies - meaning requiring a passport - even if all the ports of call do not require them...)

Or what if you happen to see a really inviting short trip to Europe (or wherever...), at a great price.  Those do show up occasionally, especially in off seasons.  If so, you can just head off.  That passport (or lack thereof) could be the only thing stopping you from some quickie special trip...

OTOH, if you are absolutely certain that you won't ever want to travel "overseas" (cruise or otherwise), then don't bother with the passport just for this one trip if you don't need it.

And either way, ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

Our Alaska cruise was also very early in the season, specifically because we wanted to see snow on the coastal mountains.  It was magnificent! 🙂 

GC

• Like 2

My God...do not get a passport.  We did back several years ago and we are several thousand dollars poorer for it.

We decided that we loved cruising and now the missus will not leave the house unless there is a rudder involved.

Chipping away at our finances are trips to Europe (2), a trip to South America, Alaska, Panama Canal (2), several Caribbean sailings, and other places that I cannot remember.

Tis a perilous venture that you are contemplating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

"Enhanced" IDs and "real" IDs are two entirely different things.

Yes, they are but since OP is in Michigan, a state that issues EDLs and since OP says that the license they have says "enhanced drivers license" on it one must conclude that they do indeed have a bona fide EDL.

9 hours ago, Gopher40 said:

We more than likely will not be doing ANY international traveling any time soon, if at all, so if we got them it was only be for possible emergencies that could arise.

There, you have your answer.  

Do consider travel insurance as well.  The biggie is emergency evacuation, which is highly unlikely but can be life-alteringly expensive.  

9 hours ago, Gopher40 said:

Have any others went without on their cruises? Were there any issues?

Many people cruise with birth certificates and IDs.  Statistically, I'm sure some of them have had issues, but the vast-vast-vast majority of cruisers board and disembark on their anticipated dates /places.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

[emphasis added]

But here is another thought.  The passports are good for 10 years.

What if you see another cruise, with a great sale price, especially possible occasionally for last minute travel, when someone may have cancelled late?

We've been on both sides of that, cancelling days before a planned departure [yes, travel insurance, thank goodness! 😉 ] and also finding a terrific forward view suite for an Alaska cruise, at almost the last minute, at an incredibly low price.  We *pounced*, and had the best view of the Alaska coast, with a huge balcony and hot tub, the entire way from Vancouver to Seward!

(No, that trip wouldn't have *required* a passport, but some others would.)

Point is, once you have the passport, you just don't have to worry about that for another 10 years (well, 9, given the need to plan ahead for the renewal).  Especially these days, getting a passport usually isn't a fast process, and I doubt it will change much very fast.

It's just one less thing to need to deal with in the future: Does Caribbean Cruise X on cruiseline A need a passport or not?  (You can read in several CC sections about how the requirements aren't always clear, and a cruiseline might have more restrictive policies - meaning requiring a passport - even if all the ports of call do not require them...)

Or what if you happen to see a really inviting short trip to Europe (or wherever...), at a great price.  Those do show up occasionally, especially in off seasons.  If so, you can just head off.  That passport (or lack thereof) could be the only thing stopping you from some quickie special trip...

OTOH, if you are absolutely certain that you won't ever want to travel "overseas" (cruise or otherwise), then don't bother with the passport just for this one trip if you don't need it.

And either way, ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

Our Alaska cruise was also very early in the season, specifically because we wanted to see snow on the coastal mountains.  It was magnificent! 🙂 

GC

A lot of what ifs, but so what? The OP knows his or her situation better then anyone. One needn't even be "absolutely certain that you won't ever want to travel overseas", they only need to be reasonably certain and then only about the next few years, not for ever. When we started cruising we knew that we wanted to travel to Europe someday but with 5 kids to feed we didn't know when that would be. We got them in 2015, 6 years after our first cruise. And since then all of our cruises have been closed loop, since it's still the most affordable option for us. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

There, you have your answer.  

Do consider travel insurance as well.  The biggie is emergency evacuation, which is highly unlikely but can be life-alteringly expensive.  

Many people cruise with birth certificates and IDs.  Statistically, I'm sure some of them have had issues, but the vast-vast-vast majority of cruisers board and disembark on their anticipated dates /places.  

And, yet anyone’s chance of having a problem is always 50/50. Either you do or you don’t encounter an issue. Odds are different than probability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, they are but since OP is in Michigan, a state that issues EDLs and since OP says that the license they have says "enhanced drivers license" on it one must conclude that they do indeed have a bona fide EDL.

In the OP's first post they also made reference to "Real IDs".