What are you missing on Royal Caribbean nowdays? What would you bring back?

I would like the food carvings and decorations in the Windjammer.  They used to have carved watermelons and other items decorating the WJ.  Also had Berry Soup served in a carved out watermelon.  Ice sculptures.

Better desserts in the WJ.  Someone who can cook eggs in the morning in the WJ.  I have tried omelette, scrambled, and fried and they are all tasteless.

WJ food was better in the past.  Even the fries aren't as good.  

Good bands/music on the pool deck.  Being able to find a lounge chair on the pool deck.  Being able to find room in a hot tub.  People camp out in hot tub all day and too many kids in the hot tubs.  I don't want to be body to body.  

• Like 4

My only comparison is 1973 vs post-restart. 

smaller ships 

more modest dress on females

politeness

great and elaborate food

absence of tattoos

more-seasoned and joyful crew

truly last-minute ticket purchase

sense of urgency drink service including cocktails in dining room

flambe'

Still, overall it's a far better experience today than it was then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Really????  Ouch!   I will never admit if they leave me a compass.  😀

I asked for a copy of the compass because I saw him in the hall with a bunch of them and a list. He said that was the list of all the cabins with a guest over 70 and he was told to leave one every day and that’s what he was doing…..we’re not 70 but he gave me one.😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I'd like them to stop the Nickel and Dime crap and reductions in service.  Seems that the once-included things are vanishing and there is an upcharge for far too many things.  Just a couple of examples:

Room Service used to be free/no extra charge

Twice-a-day cabin service

Yes, there used to be trays in the WJ

And many many more things.  I haven't left RCCL, but I think they are approaching the point where I won't be able to afford to cruise anymore, at least as often, and in the category I prefer.

Cruising seems to be moving away from the luxury vacation (regardless of category) it once was and getting closer and closer to the Sardine Can they want to make the ships, all in the interest of larger and larger margins.  I'm a capitalist, for sure, and I don't begrudge them a profit, but I do have MY limits and my limits are reaching the point of that "straw that broke the camel's back", unfortunately.

Funny.. I keep saying the exact same thing…..but I find I’m still booking cruises 🤪

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, welshrich said:

Not too worried about the turndown service but I would like to see the mints return, was nice at the end of the day to have that while reading the compass for the next day.

Agree! Enjoyed this starting on our Honeymoon in 1988. After our 2nd Dining ending about 10:30pm we'd run back to Cabin to PU our Mints and see what was on the Cruise Compass for following day, after just making it to the 10:45pm second show. Following the show we'd run up to the Midnight Buffet. Doing longer Cruises where almost half the nites there is no show or combined one that takes place between early/late meals.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the  Upgrade Fairy. Perhaps it was an Urban Legend this whole time.

I remember walking into a Port for a Cruise and get or pay for upgrade cheap! One I did had a OV and got a Jr Suite for $50. This back when Cruises were more expensive they are today

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 4

Oasis class ships keep me coming back .

I liked the tutti salad in the mdr , but no deal breaker for me.

Other than the high pricing moving forward that i dont like , i will still book , as i dont cruise that often.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the  Upgrade Fairy. Perhaps it was an Urban Legend this whole time.

She was real.  We had upgrades all the time in 2010-2014. We would get an email about cruise documents while we were on the way to Florida and telling us we had a new cabin.   

Whoever though of the Royal Up deserves a huge raise from RCCL   What a moneymaker on cabins they were giving away.  Plus all the info they are gathering on how high folks will pay for a cabin. 

Genius 

M

• Like 3

5 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

My only comparison is 1973 vs post-restart. 

smaller ships 

more modest dress on females

politeness

great and elaborate food

absence of tattoos

more-seasoned and joyful crew

truly last-minute ticket purchase

sense of urgency drink service including cocktails in dining room

flambe'

Still, overall it's a far better experience today than it was then.

Tattoos?  That's interesting.  Care to elaborate? 

M

On 7/12/2023 at 11:20 AM, megr1125 said:

Twice per day room cleaning and the old menus with the always available stuff on them.  Better quality meat without paying an upcharge.  I'll stop now.

Really?  Are you that messy?  I, for over almost 40 years of cruising have thought that 2 times a day room service was ridiculous.  I don't even make my bed once a day at home, just toss the top sheet and blanket up close to the pillow and call it good.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

I remember walking into a Port for a Cruise and get or pay for upgrade cheap! One I did had a OV and got a Jr Suite for $50. This back when Cruises were more expensive they are today

It was also pre-Homeland Security.  I was on a 7 day out of Galveston at about 11am and the person checking us in asked if we had any family or friends that could get to the terminal before 3pm, $50 a person plus taxes and tips.  Can't happen now.  Have to be checked in a couple days before sailing so you can be run through the computer.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 4:17 PM, toxicfairy said:

Please don't be mean it's just my opinion...

Actual formal nights. I love getting dressed to the nines and seeing all the beautiful gowns and men in suits and tuxedos. We still do it but it was so much better when everyone did. I would ohhh and ahhh as people came in all fancied up.

I agree, no jacket, no tie, no service.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2023 at 12:26 PM, Ashland said:

Not that RCI has ever done it but I would like a small area of the WJ open into the late evenings like Celebrity does.

Better desserts....I don't care what they look like I want them to taste like homemade !!!

Miss the Wonka Pie !!!!

Their desserts are terrible!  

• Like 3

Better dining experience, where men don't wear hats, shorts, wife beater t-shirts, and a higher grade of food.  I remember going on a cruise and looking forward to eating in the MDR, good eats and a great menu, now going to the MDR is like going to an inexpensive all you can eat place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I miss a few things that have gone in recent years.

I miss having cruise directors that used to participate in many activities during the day and were always be approachable for a chat instead of some of the newer ones that are nowhere to be seen during the day then turn up on stage at night and pretend to be your best friend.

I miss a few of the nice meals we used to get in the MDR such as duck and lamb shank that no longer appear on certain themed menus on some cruises. Not sure if they have gone or just appear on certain menus on certain cruises?

I too miss the tutti salad in the MDR on sea days. It was something different to try and fairly healthy too!.

I miss making your own ice cream at the machine. Now made by staff. Strange they still have staff doing this, but not in the WJ stopping people pile high with food they don't want/can't eat in the end.

I miss the diamond breakfast in the MDR. The few things in the DL are OK. Talking of the DL, I miss having a coffee machine that actually worked for the duration of a cruise without breaking down or being out of action or waiting for a part. I miss as a D+ member no longer being able to pop into the CL to use their machine when needed.

I miss some of the really good bands and acts that used to be on the ships. Not sure if they have all gone ashore or if they are moved to the newer /larger ships?

Problem is the cruise line is trying to save money and things slowly keep disappearing, yet there are plenty of repeat cruisers on ships as well as first timers, so they probably won't care what we miss at the end of the day.

I think for what perks we get, the price isn't too bad when you compare it to a land based holiday. Having those perks makes booking a cruise a no brainer. Not sure about anyone who has not made at least diamond though?

On our recent 5 cruises we have had our robes left in our room, a bottle of wine and other drinks left in our room and from time to time a plate of chocolates and cookies left too. We have been able to get reserved seating in the theatre and although they have taken away the priority boarding, we have actually got on the ships in minutes first thing as hardly anyone is there at that time.

Mick.

• Like 2

We are not Diamond, not .... more like Lead, since we only have 5 cruises.

Our first cruise was on Song of America on our honeymoon almost 40 years ago.  Lots have changed.

Our favorite, and our two boys, was with NCL on Breakaway (2015), and what made that cruise soooo memorable was, as 'Mick B' puts it, we had  '...cruise directors that used to participate in many activities during the day and were always be approachable for a chat instead of some of the newer ones that are nowhere to be seen during the day then turn up on stage at night and pretend to be your best friend.'

That made such a big difference on the cruise as it kept us all connected.

Maybe its just that it was our first cruise since our honeymoon, maybe it was that it was our first with the boys....but an active Cruise Director was fantastic. 

Now, I get the feeling they are more 'moderators' for a couple of shows per cruise!

• Like 1

Cruising is just more expensive camping these days. No one has a care. They don't care to get dressed ( I'm on vacation!). They don't care to watch their children, they just let them run amuck because well...( I'm on vacation). They don't care to follow the rules because ( I'm on vacation). They don't care to be nice because I'm on vacation! It's like everyone cruising any more just left any manners at home. 

I wish we could go back to when cruising was a classy vacation. Not just a bunch of look at me I'm on a boat people.

Why should any of these cruise companies care what they feed us or anything else when a lot ( not all) of the pax don't really care. They dress like they want, they don't follow any rules and have an attitude when the cruise line tries to enforce the rules. We've had kids running down the hallways knocking a doors and throwing things and screaming at 2 in the morning. So if their own parents won't do their jobs the cruise lines aren't going to make it like it use to be. They'll have the same hey look it's  a vacation mentality.

Edited by toxicfairy
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3