Blogging from the Sapphire Princess

PescadoAmarillo

6 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

He enjoyed meeting you and your wife on the Ruby!  I think he was surprised when he told me he had and I was quite excited about it. “Thrak?  You met Thrak?”  😉

I’m lucky in that he never guilted me into cruising when I didn’t want to. He knew I would cruise when/if I was ready and when I made the decision to cruise, I would decide to enjoy it. And I never made him feel guilty for wanting to get away from winter. Ours was a military marriage. Separations have been part of life.

New changes coming your way by August 2.  Sapphire is first ship for the roll-out.  Alfredo's/Gigi's on ships that have it is going to become a pay venue.  No more free pizzas.  Will have a la carte options, plus a full meal cover $15.  Same for Salty Dog, etc, but that one already had a la carte.

No more free RS.  Each RS event will incur a $5 charge.

No more free OCEAN Now delivery to your lounger - or wherever - that was one of the big selling points for Medallion Class sailing.  Now, there is a $15/voyage charge to use the service in the App.

If you have Plus/Premier, no charges for the above going forward.  BUT you must be on the $60/$80 price-level paid, or upgrade in order to get the new cost items for free.  I am sure you will tell us all about it here or in the blog.  I believe you indicated you booked PLUS, but not sure when.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

New changes coming your way by August 2.  Sapphire is first ship for the roll-out.  Alfredo's/Gigi's on ships that have it is going to become a pay venue.  No more free pizzas.  Will have a la carte options, plus a full meal cover $15.  Same for Salty Dog, etc, but that one already had a la carte.

No more free RS.  Each RS event will incur a $5 charge.

No more free OCEAN Now delivery to your lounger - or wherever - that was one of the big selling points for Medallion Class sailing.  Now, there is a $15/voyage charge to use the service in the App.

If you have Plus/Premier, no charges for the above going forward.  BUT you must be on the $60/$80 price-level paid, or upgrade in order to get the new cost items for free.  I am sure you will tell us all about it here or in the blog.  I believe you indicated you booked PLUS, but not sure when.

Yeah, I read something about it, and thank you for spelling it out for me. I’m sure it’s hot news here on CC but I’ve heard nothing about it on the ship and am not going to be researching it. We have Princess Plus, so I’m not sure I’ll even notice a difference. 

Here’s the thing…we will probably never cruise for long periods again. I can’t imagine paying for a Plus or Premium package for 120 or 150 nights. I’m a day and a half into this “drinking thing” and I’m already burning out,  but then I can go weeks at home without touching an alcoholic beverage. As for dining, we are traditional cruisers. Give us a good table in the dining room and we’ll eat every meal we can in there. The buffet on port days rounds it out. Alfredo’s is nice but before we had it, we didn’t miss it. We never order room service. We don’t order snacks in the cabin. I like my coffee hot and room service coffee has never passed muster. I’ve used Ocean Now food delivery perhaps four times, and all but one of them were when I was limited to dining in our cabin.  I don’t even know what the new dining venues on the new ships are and don’t particularly care.  I have zero FOMO. So, if we did ever cruise for more than a couple of weeks, the Standard pricing is fine. And if we cruise for just a couple of weeks, we’ll always get Plus. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Yeah, I read something about it, and thank you for spelling it out for me. I’m sure it’s hot news here on CC but I’ve heard nothing about it on the ship and am not going to be researching it. We have Princess Plus, so I’m not sure I’ll even notice a difference. 

Here’s the thing…we will probably never cruise for long periods again. I can’t imagine paying for a Plus or Premium package for 120 or 150 nights. I’m a day and a half into this “drinking thing” and I’m already burning out,  but then I can go weeks at home without touching an alcoholic beverage. As for dining, we are traditional cruisers. Give us a good table in the dining room and we’ll eat every meal we can in there. The buffet on port days rounds it out. Alfredo’s is nice but before we had it, we didn’t miss it. We never order room service. We don’t order snacks in the cabin. I like my coffee hot and room service coffee has never passed muster. I’ve used Ocean Now food delivery perhaps four times, and all but one of them were when I was limited to dining in our cabin.  I don’t even know what the new dining venues on the new ships are and don’t particularly care.  I have zero FOMO. So, if we did ever cruise for more than a couple of weeks, the Standard pricing is fine. And if we cruise for just a couple of weeks, we’ll always get Plus. 

Hear ya and much like us.  Wasn't sure if you used Alfredo's now and again.  We tend to have a sea day lunch there once or twice and we share a pizza and one other item maybe, so we can deal with the a la carte pricing and would never be ordering a full meal at $15/pp there.  

I just posted similar on @Jeter02's poll for what people will now choose.  We never use RS.  Only time I ever ordered using Ocean Now was when you got first drink free.  My bar drink - on the rare occasion I get one - is not even on the list of drinks and no way to enter own choice, so I just go to the bar and order.  With Elite mini-bar swap we have beers and Perrier, so no need for a package.

Wasn't asking for research, but would be interesting to know the situation if you did happen to go to Alfredo's next week.

39 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Hear ya and much like us.  Wasn't sure if you used Alfredo's now and again.  We tend to have a sea day lunch there once or twice and we share a pizza and one other item maybe, so we can deal with the a la carte pricing and would never be ordering a full meal at $15/pp there.  

I just posted similar on @Jeter02's poll for what people will now choose.  We never use RS.  Only time I ever ordered using Ocean Now was when you got first drink free.  My bar drink - on the rare occasion I get one - is not even on the list of drinks and no way to enter own choice, so I just go to the bar and order.  With Elite mini-bar swap we have beers and Perrier, so no need for a package.

Wasn't asking for research, but would be interesting to know the situation if you did happen to go to Alfredo's next week.

We definitely have similar cruising styles. But I will make a point of visiting Alfredos next cruise fire lunch on a port day and will take note of the changes. 

They say the opposite of love isn’t hate; it’s apathy. I think I can safely say I’m in that stage of my relationship with Princess. Each vacation decision is measured on its own merits. These changes are just another criterion, as were OBC and milestone losses.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, milogurd said:

J.,

If possible, could you post the "underground" directions to get from Waterfront Station to Canada Place?

TIA!

Here you go. This is what Rick provided to me. Sorry for the delay. I only have a “one device at a time” plan and not everything is on both devices. 

There is an escalator in the lobby of the hotel (eta Pan Pacific), near the doors to the street, that takes you down to the mall. I assume there's a nearby elevator.
Following the signs will take you to the main Waterfront stations (where the Expo/Millenium lines end); it is also the regular train station. You then walk the entire length of the Skytrain to the opposite end where you go up the escalator/elevator. Turn right into the main station, diagonally cross the station lobby to the right, and take the escalator/elevator down to the tunnel that will take you to the Canada Line station, where the train will take you to the airport.
If you get lost at all, there should be plenty of signs, or people to ask.

• Thanks 2

When PescadoAmarillo mentioned an underground way to get to Canada Place from the Waterfront Station I googled it. This is what I found. It is very similar to what she posted only in the reverse.

image.thumb.jpeg.9a46428feb65efcdc266fe056882d20a.jpeg

• Thanks 2

On 7/27/2023 at 10:57 AM, milogurd said:

J.,

If possible, could you post the "underground" directions to get from Waterfront Station to Canada Place?

TIA!

At about 4:54 you would turn right and go up the escalator. Anything past that is not applicable to your question. Follow the signs that say, Expo line - Waterfront station, then Canada Place.

Edited by Puggy13
  • Thanks 2

So happy you are back on a cruise AND blogging again.  I have enjoyed your blogs for years, savoring your writings each day you sail, sad when your adventure/blog is over.  Wishing you a wonderful cruise and a happy anniversary.  

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the officer board. If it’s not too much trouble, would you mind terribly finding out if Captain McBain, Mario, Pieter (the HGM), Yolondi Bell (business and Brand) & Remo (Exec chef) will be on board Dec 1 when Sapphire leaves LA to go to South America/Antarctica ?  I’ve sailed with them and they all really made my time on the ship so special. I’d be so happy to find out I’ll have 34 days with them this December.  This is the all star team of officers!  

No worries if you don’t. But thanks in advance if you can. 

• Like 1

Happy Early Anniversary! I'm enjoying reading your blog again and getting excited for our (fingers crossed) Quebec City to FLL in October -- first cruise since February 2020...

If you get a chance, would you please post (or snap a photo) of the current International Cafe coffee prices, and what soda and basic drinks (e.g., G&T) cost? Trying to decide if it's worth getting the Plus Package or not. Thanks! And condolences on not getting the Michigan season tix (GO BLUE!) but glad your mom is doing better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thanks for posting the officer board. If it’s not too much trouble, would you mind terribly finding out if Captain McBain, Mario, Pieter (the HGM), Yolondi Bell (business and Brand) & Remo (Exec chef) will be on board Dec 1 when Sapphire leaves LA to go to South America/Antarctica ?  I’ve sailed with them and they all really made my time on the ship so special. I’d be so happy to find out I’ll have 34 days with them this December.  This is the all star team of officers!  

Based on frequency of Captain rotation, he will not be there either.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I just had a convo with Associate HGM Eunice on the Terrace Deck. To the best of my recollection, here are the answers to your questions for the Dec 1 cruise to Antarctica.

Captain: Paola Ravera

HGM: Miguel (yay!))

DRO:  she *thinks* Mario will be back but not for the LA to Santiago portion

Bus and Brand:  Yolandi

Exec chef:  not Remo but she’s not sure who it will be. 

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Happy Early Anniversary! I'm enjoying reading your blog again and getting excited for our (fingers crossed) Quebec City to FLL in October -- first cruise since February 2020...

If you get a chance, would you please post (or snap a photo) of the current International Cafe coffee prices, and what soda and basic drinks (e.g., G&T) cost? Trying to decide if it's worth getting the Plus Package or not. Thanks! And condolences on not getting the Michigan season tix (GO BLUE!) but glad your mom is doing better.

Here is an updated post from Professor Cruise:

https://profcruise.com/princess-bar-menus-and-drink-prices-2023/

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2023 at 8:00 AM, Steelers36 said:

My bar drink - on the rare occasion I get one - is not even on the list of drinks and no way to enter own choice, so I just go to the bar and order.

Not the first time I've seen you post this. I have to ask: What is your bar drink?

2 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Thank you! And thank you again.🙂 

I just published a post that I will amend when I find different menus around the ship.

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2023/07/current-sapphire-princess-drink-menus.html

I know I said I wasn’t going to get involved with this impending dining change thing but we were just in Alfredo’s having lunch and the Assistant DRO came to talk with us and it was easy enough to just ask her about it. On the Sapphire Princess, the two affected dining venues are Alfredo’s and Vines. They will no longer offer free food in either venue but instead a three course prix fixe menu for $14.99 pp (starter, entree, dessert). Again, what we have already done for the two port days this cruise, just stop in and have pizza and a beer, will not be available. The options will be, with Princess Premium: unlimited visits for free each cruise; for Princess Plus:  two visits for free each cruise, regardless of cruise length, and unlimited further visits for $14.99pp; for Princess Standard, unlimited $14.99 visits per person. 

What hasn’t been worked out yet is how guests doing B2B cruises that fall over August 2 (ie us) will be handled, based on whether they have Princess Standard, Princess Plus or Princess Premium. She us going to get back with us when that gets figured out. 

And that’s all I will say say about that. Because any program that offers two of anything per cruise regardless of whether the cruise is 3 days or 33 days is just silly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

26 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Thank you! And thank you again.🙂 

I just published a post that I will amend when I find different menus around the ship.

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2023/07/current-sapphire-princess-drink-menus.html

I know I said I wasn’t going to get involved with this impending dining change thing but we were just in Alfredo’s having lunch and the Assistant DRO came to talk with us and it was easy enough to just ask her about it. On the Sapphire Princess, the two affected dining venues are Alfredo’s and Vines. They will no longer offer free food in either venue but instead a three course prix fixe menu for $14.99 pp (starter, entree, dessert). Again, what we have already done for the two port days this cruise, just stop in and have pizza and a beer, will not be available. The options will be, with Princess Premium: unlimited visits for free each cruise; for Princess Plus:  two visits for free each cruise, regardless of cruise length, and unlimited further visits for $14.99pp; for Princess Standard, unlimited $14.99 visits per person. 

What hasn’t been worked out yet is how guests doing B2B cruises that fall over August 2 (ie us) will be handled, based on whether they have Princess Standard, Princess Plus or Princess Premium. She us going to get back with us when that gets figured out. 

And that’s all I will say say about that. Because any program that offers two of anything per cruise regardless of whether the cruise is 3 days or 33 days is just silly. 

Thank you! That helps tremendously 🙂

• Like 1