Cruising southern Caribbean out of Puerto Rico ?

Gari

I took an amazing cruise a few years back that sailed out of PR and had great ports of call   Was hoping to do similar trip again but couldn't find anything   I believe sales out of San Juan. Does anyone know if/when carnival will resume this itinerary?

I loved cruising out of San Juan.  It was a fun place to be pre and post cruise, you got to see different ports, and on my first one I made an observation that allowed me to bring unlimited bottles on board in my carryon.  Which I did on that one and the next one.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief93 said:

I loved cruising out of San Juan.  It was a fun place to be pre and post cruise, you got to see different ports, and on my first one I made an observation that allowed me to bring unlimited bottles on board in my carryon.  Which I did on that one and the next one.  

Yes! The multiple bottles to bring on pre-cruise was another bonus! Carnival had wonderful itineraries from San Juan. It was busy with the lack of sea days, but so worth it. 

• Like 1

My first cruise ever was on the Destiny over 20 years ago out of PR.  DH and I found out during the cruise that a lot of last minute cruise deals were taken by locals, which is just like any other port I would think.  Anyway, the whole cruise had al lot of Latin music.  We were not used to this but did enjoy it a lot.  However, when we got back on land we found ourselves listening to a lot of Lynyrd Skynyrd and the such...lol.  It was definitely a different cruise but it was our first and has led to even more cruises.  Actually because of that cruise I go out of my way to make sure I get some local food, drink and more wherever I go.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gari said:

I took an amazing cruise a few years back that sailed out of PR and had great ports of call   Was hoping to do similar trip again but couldn't find anything   I believe sales out of San Juan. Does anyone know if/when carnival will resume this itinerary?

I don't think ANY Carnival Corporation ship currently homeports in San Juan.  I haven't heard of any plans for them to resume.  I miss them too. ☹️

There are other options on other cruise lines.  Royal stations a ship there seasonally, as does Virgin.  Celebrity will be back there for the winter of '24-'25.  The NCL Viva will be there seasonally starting in December.  

1 hour ago, sydney dog said:

My first cruise ever was on the Destiny over 20 years ago out of PR.  DH and I found out during the cruise that a lot of last minute cruise deals were taken by locals, which is just like any other port I would think.  Anyway, the whole cruise had al lot of Latin music.  We were not used to this but did enjoy it a lot.  However, when we got back on land we found ourselves listening to a lot of Lynyrd Skynyrd and the such...lol.  It was definitely a different cruise but it was our first and has led to even more cruises.  Actually because of that cruise I go out of my way to make sure I get some local food, drink and more wherever I go.  

Yes! I remember on a cruise out of SJ that there were many local people as fellow passengers. And that there was so much dancing, even impromptu, wherever music was playing. Seeing even little children dancing suggested to me that like we growing up in Wisconsin had ice skates at a very young age and Scandinavians learn to ski early on, Puerto Ricans start dancing very young. Wonderful music on that cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Did it on the fascination - old clunker but was great and was a great ship for her age. Had a different type of feel. Too bad they got rid of it. 

Also did the Fascination out of San Juan. Only time we had been chased by a hurricane. Carnival avoided the hurricane and went to alternate ports but was one trip. Had to return to Miami as San Juan port was closed. Would do again in a heart beat.

We sailed the Southern Caribbean out of PR on Celebrity in April of this year.  Awesome cruise, great itinerary.  We sailed on the Millenium which then went to Alaska. You may want to check this out for later this year or next?

I’ve been on 13 Carnival cruises.  My favorite one was out of Puerto Rico.  We had no sea days at all.  Maybe Carnival could do a few sailings from there instead of trying to stay all year.  I keep checking to see if they’ve added it as a home port.  I’ve looked at NCL Viva but I feel the price is high because it’s a new ship. With so many ports I wouldn’t have enough time to fully experience the ship. I also like Carnival a bit more than NCL because there are so many non-repeating comedy shows. I even wrote Carnival an email saying how great that cruise was and how I hope they will sail from there again. I received a response that said something along the lines of we hope so too.  

• Like 1

My wife and I have sailed 3 times from San Juan. First on the Victory then Valor and the Fascination the last time, same itinerary every time. St Thomas seaday, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, and Saint Maarten. We have really missed this itinerary so my wife booked the Jewel of the Seas with Trinidad and Tobago. It also has Barbados Saint Maarten and St Kitts. She booked without any research and we are now concerned about the safety of Trinidad and Tobago but they will be new to us. Jan 2024.

• Like 2

I did it with the NCL Epic the last couple of Christmas. I’m booked on the Viva for this Christmas. This one is pricey because  it is the Christmas cruise and because it is a new ship but I think it come down in the future when the novelty wears off. I wish Carnival had that itinerary at least during the winter season like NCL.

I also remember some 'ship dancing' where San Juan was used as an embarkation port between two cruises. Something like Port Canaveral > San Juan followed by San Juan > New Orleans.  Those sounded really fun but I can envision that such a specialty type cruise wasn't the most profitable for CCL as the clientele is somewhat specialized in that two airports are necessary.

One never knows though. They do get premium pricing for most of the Journeys so there's obviously a market.