To anyone on board now in a single cabin- How Are The Solo Cabins??

MsCrystalina

Hi to all the inaugural cruisers!  Anxious to hear about  the solo cabins on 7.  The big review by the travel guys said did not visit one.   Are they totally renovated - the pics don't show much storage around the desk area.   Is there a frig?   The baths look totally new.  How about the ventilation and air conditioning?   That was always an issue in the past.

Thanks, as plan to spend 30 days on Symphony next year!.

• Like 1

The solo cabins have been remodeled and are the same as the double guest room ocean view and double guest room veranda. Anything you see, including photos, of those will be the same as the solo cabins. 

I haven't been on the ship yet so info on the air conditioning will need to wait until someone who has been in one of the cabins checks in.

Patty

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2023 at 11:57 AM, rafinmd said:

I can guarantee you NOBODY has been in a solo cabin on the Sypmhony at this time.

edited - My bad I missed the point that Roy was referring to the yet to sail Symphony. I guess we have only a few weeks before we find out now

Edited by Stickman1990

6 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Roy - so are you saying no one on the inaugural booked a Solo cabin? That seems a little strange if that’s the case - we’re they all upgraded by Crystal?

I believe he is trying to remind you that Symphony has not sailed her first cruise yet.  EM

• Thanks 1

Just now, Essiesmom said:

I believe he is trying to remind you that Symphony has not sailed her first cruise yet.  EM

Ah yes - my bad - I missed the point that it’s Symphony he was referring to 

Either way I haven’t seen anyone commenting on their experience on Serenity in a solo cabin yet - it will be interesting to get some first hand commentary 

• Like 1

I have now spoken with someone in a solo room. What's not to like?  The only issue is the smaller closet but otherwise they are very well appointed and you have the same room as a double room. If you are in one on a World Cruise ask about bringing in a rolling rack which I know people have done in the past. Maybe you could even ask about this for other cruises.

Keith

• Like 1

What is not to like?my answer to that is that  I guess some of us solo travelers are concerned about the location of those cabins. It would be good to have comments from paying guests who are staying on one of those cabins. Any issues? Noice? Fumes, Rocking on rough seas?
Ivi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I have now spoken with someone in a solo room. What's not to like?  The only issue is the smaller closet but otherwise they are very well appointed and you have the same room as a double room. If you are in one on a World Cruise ask about bringing in a rolling rack which I know people have done in the past. Maybe you could even ask about this for other cruises.

Keith

Keith,

When you say bring in a rolling rack....are these available on the ship or are you talking about bringing in one's own?  Side note...would you say paddle tennis or pickle ball is more popular?

Thanks for all your posts.

Dwight

12 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

Keith,

When you say bring in a rolling rack....are these available on the ship or are you talking about bringing in one's own?  Side note...would you say paddle tennis or pickle ball is more popular?

Thanks for all your posts.

Dwight

Dwight they are on the ship.  

Right now Paddle Tennis. Sone who mainly play Pickle are playing Paddle 

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

What is not to like?my answer to that is that  I guess some of us solo travelers are concerned about the location of those cabins. It would be good to have comments from paying guests who are staying on one of those cabins. Any issues? Noice? Fumes, Rocking on rough seas?
Ivi

A friend of ours always stayed in one of those, before they were designated singles. The only one time she complained was when she was taking an afternoon nap and the production company was rehearsing. 

My recommendation is to book as early as possible, to get the first stateroom forward of the elevator lobby. Then the theatre won’t be overhead, just the entrance to the theatre.

Our friend chose that location b/c her dad had taught her to mind your pence and the pounds will take care of themselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, May B said:

A friend of ours always stayed in one of those, before they were designated singles. The only one time she complained was when she was taking an afternoon nap and the production company was rehearsing. 

My recommendation is to book as early as possible, to get the first stateroom forward of the elevator lobby. Then the theatre won’t be overhead, just the entrance to the theatre.

Our friend chose that location b/c her dad had taught her to mind your pence and the pounds will take care of themselves.

That is a good advice. But the solo cabins are selling like fresh bread 😁. On most itineraries there are only waiting lists for those cabins. It was for me not possible to choose a better located cabin.

I hope Crystal will make available more cabins with a low supplement for solo travelers. I think there was an offer like that this year for some cruises. Unfortunately this year was not possible for me to book a cruise with Crystal. Too many undertakings already and I want to rest from the stress of flying. But I am looking forward to my cruise with the Serenity in January next year.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

OC pretty much had all of deck 7 on Serenity available with low single supplements, generally 25%.  One could also book a veranda room with a 50% single supplement.   So yes, NC has cut the availability of low supplement rooms by a huge amount.  

With solo rooms being the only ones with great demand across all itineraries  it would seem logical for NC to make more solo rooms available.  I certainly hope that will be the case. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

OC pretty much had all of deck 7 on Serenity available with low single supplements, generally 25%.  One could also book a veranda room with a 50% single supplement.   So yes, NC has cut the availability of low supplement rooms by a huge amount.  

I think this pricing decision was a poor one.  At least for me.  I travel solo, and I require a verandah.  I had many (150?) nights on Crystal with old pricing structure.  I would love to return.  But not with current pricing.

• Like 1

I would just like to remind people that there are only 108 staterooms on Serenity and this includes Deck 7 so take that out of the equation and you have far less staterooms with veranda and that is why they don't have an all out single supplement as before.

They added close to 130 suites and on Serenity they were all Sapphire except for six junior CPs.

Like all thing I am sure they will continue to evaluate all of this but I am thinking the preference is to fill rooms with two people rather than one to realize more revenue and longer term profit and I do know better to have one person in a room than none. I do think though they will just see how things sort out after several months and then determine if adjustments are needed.

For what it is worth there are other categories selling very well and while they are not all sold out on many voyages CP's and Junior CP's are sold out or close to it.  

This is all still very new.  

Keith

I'm with Observer.

I cruise solo and I require a verandah. Not up at the bow of the ship.

I am a many days cruiser on another line that treats solos well, with low solo supplements available on many itineraries on both oceanview and verandah cabins.

I have cruised OC and would be happy to return but won't until they offer solos something better than being confined to a non-verandah cabin in a location I detest, or having to pay a huge solo supplement.

Of course cruise lines would prefer to have two pax per cabin, but I don't have to cruise with the ones that make so little concession to solos.

• Like 6

Yes, Jolly Jones, although have booked a return to CC late next year will be difficult after cruising on Silversea veranda suites that are 374 sq feet with 25 percent solo supplement - and not segregated like solos are on CC cabins.   Plus the extras for solos.   My CC itinerary is great as have 2-3 days to explore Mumbai (never been - wanting to go).   So will depend on finding a great itinerary as to whether will be able to tolerate the small CC cabin.  certainly not paying what they want for a 215 sqft with balcony or any of the suites!   

• Like 2

I feel the new Crystal is discriminating against solo travellers or those who travel as a pair and chose a double verandah stateroom (as these are sold as rooms for two). If two people travel together and would like to book a verandah double stateroom as it is sold as a room for two, the storage space has been considerably reduced and now has only enough storage for one person. Someone suggested getting a clothing rack to take on board, Why go on a holiday and have to take extra storage space as two people will be sharing a room sold as a double room but only enough storage for one? That’s extra luggage to get on the plane as well. Unless you can cruise Crystal in many of the new suites which have the storage space for two, you cruise in a room built for a solo. Why have the solo rooms forward, where there is more noise and movement of the ship? If you travel solo and want a verandah, you must pay a solo supplement, even though the room storage has been reduced considerably even for a solo traveller cruising for many segments. I would like to know if the new room safe in the double staterooms with a verandah is big enough to fit an iPad? From a photo, I don’t think it could. I loved cruising Crystal in a verandah stateroom with lots of storage space, including small shelves where items could be placed so as not to slide onto the floor in rough seas. It seems the new owners don’t value solo cruisers or two people who travel together but can’t afford a suite, well. That was the beauty of the old Crystal and what a shame that this hasn’t been carried through with the new Crystal. 

Edited by thebenz
Spelling
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, thebenz said:

I feel the new Crystal is discriminating against solo travellers or those who travel as a pair and chose a double verandah stateroom (as these are sold as rooms for two). If two people travel together and would like to book a verandah double stateroom as it is sold as a room for two, the storage space has been considerably reduced and now has only enough storage for one person. Someone suggested getting a clothing rack to take on board, Why go on a holiday and have to take extra storage space as two people will be sharing a room sold as a double room but only enough storage for one? That’s extra luggage to get on the plane as well. Unless you can cruise Crystal in many of the new suites which have the storage space for two, you cruise in a room built for a solo. Why have the solo rooms forward, where there is more noise and movement of the ship? If you travel solo and want a verandah, you must pay a solo supplement, even though the room storage has been reduced considerably even for a solo traveller cruising for many segments. I would like to know if the new room safe in the double staterooms with a verandah is big enough to fit an iPad? From a photo, I don’t think it could. I loved cruising Crystal in a verandah stateroom with lots of storage space, including small shelves where items could be placed so not to slide onto the floor in rough seas. It seems the new owners don’t value solo cruisers or two people who travel together but can’t afford a suite, well. That was the beauty of the old Crystal and what a shame that this hasn’t been carried through with the new Crystal. 

Sorry but Crystal is not discriminating at all.

All of the double and solo room are brand spanking new.  

Not sure how that was discrimination.

All the classic suites have had minimal work done to update them.  

I am the one who mentioned the roller to hang items and that is mainly for people who are on the World Cruise to consider.

The new safes are the same as the old safes so yes they fit an iPad.

By adding a desk where they did which was all good intentioned it made the closet smaller. I don't think they released that would happen.  

The new rooms are beautiful including the bathroom and overall it is a big upgrade to the previous rooms.

Keith

4 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

By adding a desk where they did which was all good intentioned it made the closet smaller. I don't think they released that would happen. 

Reminds me of how American Airlines did a cabin redesign recently, with new seating, galleys and lavs.  Only after they planes started in service did they notice HUGE flaws in the new arrangement, both for crew and passengers.

Seems that they were so sure of their blueprint models that they never bothered to actually build a mockup to see how it worked in 3D.

AA then embarked on a plan to retrofit a newer design into the planes that just had a redo.

Duh.

• Like 2