Which specialty restaurant she we book on Joy??

kribar

The choice of specialty restaurant should be strongly tied to a) your personal tastes/preferences for the type of food offered, and b) the restaurant whose net cost best fits into your personal budget. Nobody knows what is best for you quite the way that you do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, kribar said:

Cagney's steakhouse or the teppanyaki??  Thank you!!

Was on Joy at the end of July and we chose Cagney's over Teppenyaki. 

We do hibachi pretty regularly at home so we decided on the steakhouse instead. 

We enjoyed the meal. It's definitely not high end but everything was good and the 7 layer cake makes the meal for me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kribar said:

If choosing between those two specifically,, Teppanyaki for the combination of good food and a fun show.  We had a great meal and time at Teppanyaki a few weeks ago on the Getaway.

Frankly, we haven't been thrilled with Cagney's on our past several visits.  It has lost its place in our rotation.  We put Le Bistro and Ocean Blue as our top meals and then rotate among others depending upon the ship.

Do you want real steak? Like, a filet or ribeye? Do you want comfort food style sides (that taste not so great)? Choose Cagney's. Would you prefer a quiet dinner? Choose Cagney's.

If you want a show, enjoy rice and/or Udon, are ok with seafood/chicken/NY strip, then choose Teppanyaki. And, of course if you want awkward sharing of a table. Then, Teppanyaki is definitely for you! 

Personally, we choose Teppanyaki as we did not have a good experience at Cagney's. It was a one-time experience that turned us off. Plenty of folks have had really great experiences at Cagney's, so don't let our experience turn you off totally. 

Total aside - is there an apostrophe in Cagney's? Or, am I a total knucklehead...I mean, I know I am, but you know what I mean. 🦀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They're totally different experiences.  Cagney's is a mid-range steakhouse.  Better than Outback, not as good as the higher-end chains.  I enjoy it.

Teppanyaki is more of a rollicking atmosphere.  It's a show; I find it corny, but if you've never been it's worthwhile.

I'm on the Joy in November and I'll be hitting both.  Cagney's more than once.  Ocean Blue and Le Bistro are also worthwhile.  Q is nice but I wouldn't burn a free dinner on it; it tends to be less expensive so I'd pay cash for that one.  Almost every La Cucina I've been in has been meh.

18 hours ago, kribar said:

Between the two, I would pick Teppanyaki. That is purely a person al choice. We have been disappointed with Cagney's food and service (which has been on a downhill slide since before the pandemic). Again, that is a personal preference. 

May 2023

This was a sad New York Strip for $39. It was a poor cut of meat and partially inedible. 

image.png.9b9ca7c41c8fd3240a19a9af42d4d2fe.png

The Filet was "o.k." but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired

image.png.26b51ca5b54acb92a604bfed091329e9.png

Edited by BirdTravels

Thanks so much for all the info!!  I decided on Teppanaki.  I'm cruising with my 82 year-young father & think that would be fun for him. The pics of those steaks/presentation really sealed the deal.  😆

• Like 2

We've avoided Cagney's for years.  Too many poor experiences.  And we aren't talking about anything beyond the basics.  If you can't block and tackle, time for new coach.

Edited by dexddd

We returned Friday on Pearl not Joy. Our FAS was two dining meals for two. We chose Cagney’s and Teppanyaki, Teppanyaki is really a show experience rather than a great food experience, while Cagney’s was mediocre at best. I had the ribeye and my wife had the mini tenderloin. The ribeye was very tough, although my wife said hers was fine. At Teppanyaki, I ordered NY Strip with shrimp and it was very tough also. 

in the past, i would have said Cagney's, no question.  teppanyaki has been a disappointment the last few times we went there, especially since they stopped filet and added new york ( i think you can get the new york steak daily at either of the mdr's.

for what it's worth, go to le bistro instead of either of the other 2. i dont think you will be disappointed, and you get a free bottle of wine

On 8/24/2023 at 1:25 AM, kribar said:

In the past Cagney’s would be my first choice since I am a steak lover; and, Teppanyaki was my second choice.  I enjoyed both restaurants backed in 2018 & 2019 on NCL Escape.  I reserved a cruise on the Joy in 2024 and might try Ocean Blue plus Le Bistro for a change since both restaurants are getting good reviews.

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Why do you get a free bottle of wine?

I get a free bottle of wine due to Latitude status.  However, it has always been available at either Cagney's or Le Bistro, not just le Bistro. Obviously that may have changed like so many other things. 

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/latitudes-rewards-program

Edited by All-ready2cruise

when you get to your cabin, there should be a card with 4 tabs. one of the tabs indicate a free dinner and bottle of wine. this is for either le bistro or cagney's.  im not sure if this includes all latitude levels, but if you log on to your site, and check latitude benefits, it will show you .it also indicates  a free bag of laundry (depending on latitude status)

if you happen to do a back to back, the card will be issued on both, and you can end up with an additional bottle. also, it is not necessary to open the bottle at your dinner. you can take it back to your cabin and enjoy it later on. we usually just wrap them up and take them home.

hope this clarifies for you.

I agree with you  and just to be clear,  I was just referring to #6 on the Latitudes Program site: 

6 Benefit is available on sailings 5 days or longer, and entitles each guest to an appetizer, one entrée and dessert of choice. Upcharges apply to certain premium menu items; Raw Bar Seafood Platter is not included. Bottle of Wine offered in all venues offering Complimentary Wine list, Palomar not included. In à la carte restaurants, coupon can be redeemed for 4 menu items per person (Sushi, Wasabi, Nama, Teppanyaki, Hasuki, Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar or Raw Bar). Additional entrées will incur supplemental charges. Dinner coupons are non-transferrable. Solo guests cannot claim two dinners. Coupons can’t be used for the same venue twice. 2 guests maximum. Dining options vary by ship.

I do think that only le Bistro and Cagney's offer the wine lists but could be wrong and would ask the question of the host or hostess to determine if there is a wine list available.