Britannia broke her lines

kalos

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I understand that the 20% FCC was only the compensation element. I expect this to be offered shipwide but can’t confirm at this stage.

Anyone leaving the ship will also be entitled to a pro-rata refund under the standard terms and conditions, plus all arrangements made and paid for them back to Southampton. They may get a slightly better compensation element for the added inconvenience.

That sounds very fair to me. I would hope most passengers would understand and be accepting of the offer and arrangements.

I do wonder though if the more regular cruiser would be more understanding than say the newer cruisers. 

Safe sailing everyone! 

Edited by CarlaMarie
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Camberley said:

20% off a later cruise? Oh P and O you spoil us. But no promise of a free glass of their legendary Celebration Night fizz upon embarkation next time…..

2 hours ago, Camberley said:

20% off a later cruise? Oh P and O you spoil us. But no promise of a free glass of their legendary Celebration Night fizz upon embarkation next time…..

I understand 20% FCC to mean 20% of the price you paid for the cruise you are on,given as an amount in £s,in the form of a credit note to use on a future cruise. The 20% would only be calculated on the cruise element and not the port taxes,etc.

4 minutes ago, myden said:

I understand 20% FCC to mean 20% of the price you paid for the cruise you are on,given as an amount in £s,in the form of a credit note to use on a future cruise. The 20% would only be calculated on the cruise element and not the port taxes,etc.

Whenever we've had FCC on P&O  it has always been xx% off the price of a new booking.  Anything that has been % off the price of the cruise we were on has been an actual refund to credit card.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Whenever we've had FCC on P&O  it has always been xx% off the price of a new booking.  Anything that has been % off the price of the cruise we were on has been an actual refund to credit card.

Not of late. Since Covid, it’s been x% of what you paid. I don’t believe P&O adjust for part taxes as P&O don’t charge them separately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, myden said:

That's exactly what we got when the Carnival Pride broke down in the Baltic last month. Except we got 25% not 20%. It was applied to an existing future booking within 3 days of us filling in the form. We also got one twelfth of our cruise fare refunded, as well as taxes for the port we had to miss, plus 100 dollars OBC and free WiFi for the remainder of the cruise.

About 70% of passengers had to be flown back to catch their flights home (I'd guess around 90% of the passengers were from the US) leaving around 700 of us onboard. We arrived back in Dover 3 days late, and had a very pleasant bonus stay onboard. I couldn't fault Carnival for the way they looked after us, and I feel the compensation we received was very generous.

• Like 4

Many many years ago, when God was still in short trousers, and on the old QE2, I was on a Med cruise with my mum and my (then) baby daughter. We broke down. There was a very slow crawl into Genoa where we were berthed for three days whilst a piece of kit was flown in and repairs were carried out. Unfortunately the repairs were not entirely successful and the cruise was curtailed with a very slow sail back to Southampton.

Our compensation was all rather odd! I don't know if there were any monies refunded because mum paid for the cruise and that element was never discussed. I suspect the offer was either a monetary refund or a fully funded cruise to nowhere which we (she) took.

All we had to do was get ourselves to Victoria Coach Station ( easy for us as we lived in London) from where we were taken to a very nice hotel in Bournemouth for the night. Our entertainment was The Roly Polys ( anyone remember them?). The following morning we were coached to Southampton and boarded QE2 for a 5-day cruise to nowhere. It was great fun and we really enjoyed it. I doubt any company would (or could) be so generous now.

I hope those who have left Britannia get home safely and without too much hassle given the current airports situation. 

Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Our entertainment was The Roly Polys ( anyone remember them?). 

Yes from the Les Dawson show. For large ladies they could fairly move.

Re the QE2 (which was a lovely old ship) your mum probably paid a small fortune for the trip so the compensation was commensurate. People pay relatively little in comparison for (some) cruises now and margins will I imagine be tighter so you are correct, they probably can’t be as generous.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes from the Les Dawson show. For large ladies they could fairly move.

Re the QE2 (which was a lovely old ship) your mum probably paid a small fortune for the trip so the compensation was commensurate. People pay relatively little in comparison for (some) cruises now and margins will I imagine be tighter so you are correct, they probably can’t be as generous.

Yes Eglesbrech it was the Les Dawson show - I had forgotten that. They were amazing for such large ladies and very entertaining all round - which they were (all round!).

The QE2 was a beautiful ship and I'm sure you're right in that mum paid a small fortune. There was a special and very sentimental reason for the cruise in that we had very recently lost my dad who died very suddenly at 55. Mum and dad had always said they would go on a cruise when dad retired but sadly he didn't live long enough, so mum did the next best thing for her which was taking me and the baby. We laughed and cried in equal measure but we felt close to him - he loved the sea. Jane xx

• Like 13

I see the ship is now cracking on and heading home for Southampton where I 

think repairs and replacements will be done fast as possible .

Will they have a replacement lifeboat ready is anyone's guess .

I am only a member of this site but other family members who have other media keep 

me in the loop with comments and have been told ship could be home as early as Thursday .

One what made me smile is a lady who is now kicking off after she volunteered to leave the ship ,that no P&O person was at the 2* hotel to say sorry for crashing the ship (They didn't ) and goes onto blame them ATC problem with aircraft. Also thinks the hotel should be five star at least .

I was chatting with the Mrs and we came to the conclusion that if we had been onboard , we would have stayed put onboard . 

Thinking outside the box .. Coached to a hotel for up to 2 nights , then the airport ,flight back to who knows where ,maybe Gatwick and a coach back to Southampton.

Could be late afternoon and then get our car and a 4-5 hour run back home !

Rather be chilled out on the ship . That's our thoughts anyway .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 25

18 minutes ago, kalos said:

I see the ship is now cracking on and heading home for Southampton where I 

think repairs and replacements will be done fast as possible .

Will they have a replacement lifeboat ready is anyone's guess .

I am only a member of this site but other family members who have other media keep 

me in the loop with comments and have been told ship could be home as early as Thursday .

One what made me smile is a lady who is now kicking off after she volunteered to leave the ship ,that no P&O person was at the 2* hotel to say sorry for crashing the ship (They didn't ) and goes onto blame them ATC problem with aircraft. Also thinks the hotel should be five star at least .

I was chatting with the Mrs and we came to the conclusion that if we had been onboard , we would have stayed put onboard . 

Thinking outside the box .. Coached to a hotel for up to 2 nights , then the airport ,flight back to who knows where ,maybe Gatwick and a coach back to Southampton.

Could be late afternoon and then get our car and a 4-5 hour run back home !

Rather be chilled out on the ship . That's our thoughts anyway .

Definitely would have stayed on the ship.  What a mess the ATC thing is!

• Like 8

9 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Not of late. Since Covid, it’s been x% of what you paid. I don’t believe P&O adjust for part taxes as P&O don’t charge them separately.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks. 

I can see the reasoning in that - Have a problem on a cruise where you've had an inside cabin on a Saver fare, get xx% FCC and use it towards a new booking for a longer cruise in a higher grade cabin, is potentially more than an FCC based on the cruise you had the problem on.

Just reading some of the comments on FB.  Unbelievable.  Exagerrations, people holding P&O entirely responsible for hitting another ship!  Absolutely pathetic.  One woman asking if her cruise in January will be affected!!

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just reading some of the comments on FB.  Unbelievable.  Exagerrations, people holding P&O entirely responsible for hitting another ship!  Absolutely pathetic.  One woman asking if her cruise in January will be affected!!

Don't forget that some people like their 2 minutes of fame and enjoy the drama of it all .... sad world we live in. 

• Like 18

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We are booked to sail on her on 15th September.🤞

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mrs applehead said:

We have just had a letter, we are getting £40 pp as on board credit.

Thanks.

I was wondering are you happy with that in the circumstances?

I can imagine with over 5,000 on board, there are a number who like to push the boundaries.

Reception may be busier than normal hereon in!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Don't forget that some people like their 2 minutes of fame and enjoy the drama of it all .... sad world we live in. 

A bit like the woman who was in Guernsey on the Ventura  (Not the Britannia)

said ... "This has shocked me and I really don't want to be on this ship anymore  !  "  🥴🙄

That would be equivalent to @grapau27 wanting to come home from Lake District  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I'm pretty sure I'd have stayed onboard if possible...I'd much rather be relaxing onboard than battling to get get to Southampton to collect my car and drive all the way back up north. 

Ludicrous people trying to make it into a bigger deal are just seeing ££ signs I think.

• Like 13

On 8/27/2023 at 8:00 PM, babs135 said:

I saw that as well and I'm afraid that I laughed rather loudly.  If she's that nervous a traveller, why on earth would she go on a cruise?

She's definitely not a seasoned cruiser that's for sure. 

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I would not be happy to be put into a 2 star hotel as it is not a standard I would ever purchase for myself, nor is it equivalent to the Britannia accommodation. Personally I don’t think P&O would put anyone in a 2 star?

I would not have volunteered to get off the ship even before the air traffic problems far less knowing that the flights will be definitely be delayed and accommodation on the island is at a premium because so many Brits are stranded.

I’m really surprised they got 321 (according to the news) volunteers. Now I know Moley said that some crew and family would be in the numbers but some passengers would still need to “volunteer”. The question is who in their right mind would do so in the circumstances.

• Like 6