Future booked cruises with All Included? Tips no longer included.

39august

On 8/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, Jeremiah1212 said:

This news is all over the social media so here is a brief rundown of all the things that changed or were addressed by Celebrity this week. Not trying to start a debate as this isn't rumor or speculation. It came straight from the source. 

All Included

*Bookings created after 10/3 will not have gratuities included regardless if you book Cruise Only or All Included 

*Significantly more people booking Cruise Only in the past year (AI bookings were ~90% of the volume when initially introduced)

*Aqua Class will now offer a Cruise Only rate

*Gratuities can still be prepaid at the time of booking or anytime there after 

*Prices should be 'reflective' of gratuities being removed from the inclusions 

*Singles will no longer have the double charge for All Included 

*Quoting a flat $20 pp/pd (gratuity included) price to upgrade from Classic to Premium beverage package 

***Reason given - Drinks and WiFi are the two things people want most. (I don't agree with the delivery here - just passing along what was shared) Also provides some flexibility to use gratuities as a tool in future sales. 

Sky Suite Butlers

*Team concept is in place lead by a Head Butler 

*Head Butler will determine where/who needs extra attention (i.e. they will try to address who heavily uses their butler and who contacts them once in a cruise

*No one was terminated but positions were shuffled around including to other brands in the company 

***Reason given - many Sky Suites were requesting service at the same time which created a bottleneck for anyone getting service from a butler 

Cookies 

*Test pilot at the gelato bar. 

*Apparently sold hundreds over two cruises 

*Did not replace free cookies/pastries anywhere else onboard 

*Discontinued and won't be back 

***Reason given -They needed to implement a fee to temper demand since it took some time to heat the cookies 

Vaping 

*Tested, feedback received and discontinued. 

*Vapers will have to sneak their vapes in their cabins like they do today or head to a smoking area 

Removal of Retreat OBC

***Reason Given - None. Big miss here. This should have been directly addressed as it is (was) an crucial tool in justifying the high suite prices

Removal of Aqua and Concierge perks and canapes

*According to Celebrity nothing has been removed

*There should be a card in AQ and CC cabins to indicate if and how often you want these provided ranging from never to every day

*(Can someone confirm this card exists? I have not seen it.)

***Reason Given - most of these items go to waste (I cannot disagree with this. Retooling what is offered would solve a lot Please don't give me any more tins of pate!)

Perfect Day at Coco Cay

*Giving a few ships opportunity to visit Coco Cay based on guest feedback 

*Continue to welcome families as indicated by always having kid and teen programs 

*Family travel on Celebrity is different 

***Reason Given - Trying to make some apparent distinction that people with kids on Celebrity travel with their kids not for their kids. If you are traveling for your kids, you travel on lines packed with the 'kid stuff'. If you travel with your kids you bring them/drag them along with you. Not the first time they have mentioned this but I'm not sure I agree with this approach. 

MDR upcharge items

*These things will continue to be on the menu and evolve over time.

***Reason Given - these are test items to expand what is offered similar to entrees in some of the Specialty restaurants.

Groups

*Group rates will eventually not include gratuities 

*Nothing mentioned on the refundability of group rates 

*The previous FAQ showing group rates would only be Cruise Only is gone. Groups will be All Included. I'm still concerned that it even made it to a draft FAQ. 

*Very little shared in general. I'm hesitant to share much more since this really isn't meant for general customers and there is a ton of misinformation posted about how this program works. 

Ultimately there were some hits and misses. Prices will go up as demand goes up. That goes for any line. New to cruise and new to brand, especially on 7 night Caribbean cruises is very very high. I think this is where a lot of the removal of grats is stemming from. This segment frequently doesn't know better than to consider this cost element when they are booking. I suspect Celebrity has learned they need to get out in front of some of these changes (i.e. Butler Team) but a lot of this test type stuff never has and may never be communicated. 

I do think the All Included terminology needs to go away and eventually shift back to something more along the lines of the Go 1/2/3 or Big Better Best program that gave people easy to understand prepackaged incremental choices. 

This says it all.

IMG_0200.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 8/31/2023 at 8:49 AM, TeeRick said:

I question now if the people in Sky Suites will not feel inclined to tip the butler team (extra) like previously tipping a dedicated butler.  

This is a tough decision - if we see 8 crew members over the course of a cruise and if the service warranted a tip, we would give one, but it would be a much smaller tip. Let’s say that if we felt $100.00 was a good tip for the overall service received for that cruise. Then each of those 8 crew members would receive $12.50. If I could find them towards the end of a cruise. 

it’s possible that we might feel that the daily pp gratuities that are added to the bill would be all that they would receive.

On 8/31/2023 at 5:49 AM, TeeRick said:

I question now if the people in Sky Suites will not feel inclined to tip the butler team (extra) like previously tipping a dedicated butler.  

We mostly book sky suites. This month we are in a CS. Overall we tip $240 extra for 7 to 12 night sailings. Of that amount the butler get $100. We tip extra to staff we interact with daily. If Luminae moves us around to different sections then less tipping of staff. If we dont have the same butler each morning then no extra $100 tip. We are sailing with Princess in Feb. We have one more X sailing in June on Apex in a sky suite. That will be the test for us. 

13 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

We mostly book sky suites. This month we are in a CS. Overall we tip $240 extra for 7 to 12 night sailings. Of that amount the butler get $100. We tip extra to staff we interact with daily. If Luminae moves us around to different sections then less tipping of staff. If we dont have the same butler each morning then no extra $100 tip. We are sailing with Princess in Feb. We have one more X sailing in June on Apex in a sky suite. That will be the test for us. 

From everything I have seen the CS butlers have not changed.  You should have a dedicated butler as in the past.  Only Sky suites have had a change in the dedicated butler.

On 8/31/2023 at 11:54 AM, RLM77 said:

I find it interesting that new-to-cruise and new-to-brand bookings have apparently increased.  I wonder if that is because they have managed to chase away some previously loyal customers?  As an example we are Elite+ but have put X on long-term hiatus after some really terrible food in AQ.  I wonder if some of the other X veterans have done the same?

Rich

We are Elite+ getting close to Zenith. I'm not looking to book any X until things settle down. I'm thinking 2025.

1 minute ago, micruiser2002 said:

From everything I have seen the CS butlers have not changed.  You should have a dedicated butler as in the past.  Only Sky suites have had a change in the dedicated butler.

For now.

I'm pretty sure our butler in our CS will be getting their next tip. Most likely not for our June cruise in a sky suite. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Simply, X has been doing take aways and price increases. Not so much fun for us.

Its time to add some "goodwill" and show us customers that they know what they are doing in the front office aka shoreside. Tall order IMHO.

• Like 1

Just saw this, not sure if it has been previously posted.  Starting in October 2023, Celebrity Cruises will eliminate prepaid gratuities from its All Included pricing packages.  This change will go into effect for new bookings starting on October 4, 2023. Similar changes will go into effect for guests booking suites in suites-only area, The Retreat. The cruise line announced plans to remove not only gratuities, but also the onboard credit amenity for Retreat guests.  No mention of any adjustments in pricing of the packages.

So those are the negatives, but on the positive side, guests no longer need to book All Included packages for AquaClass staterooms. Instead, AquaClass staterooms can be booked with a cruise only fare.  This has been a burr in my saddle for a while, so happy on that score.

Here's the link: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2023/08/30/celebrity-cruises-removes-gratuities-inclusive-package-and-makes-changes-retreat

Smooth seas and blue skies,

Bob

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The FAQ was updated in the last few days. Previously it showed the base cost to upgrade from Basic to Premium drinks was $20 which included the gratuity. Now the price is shown at $24 including the gratuity. Small difference but still equates to $56 for two over the course of a seven night cruise. 

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 10.21.01 AM.png

37 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Previously it showed the base cost to upgrade from Basic to Premium drinks was $20 which included the gratuity.

I thought even currently the upgrade package prices of $20 was before tips were added.  I have a cruise booked for next year and my upgrade package is $20 (on sale for 18.99) but when it is added to the cart the additional tips are added.  So if it were not on sale it would still be $24 pp.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The FAQ was updated in the last few days. Previously it showed the base cost to upgrade from Basic to Premium drinks was $20 which included the gratuity. Now the price is shown at $24 including the gratuity. Small difference but still equates to $56 for two over the course of a seven night cruise. 

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 10.21.01 AM.png

I guess I should order my upgrade before the price hike instead of waiting for it to go on sale. 

1 hour ago, peterde said:

I guess I should order my upgrade before the price hike instead of waiting for it to go on sale. 

Look at the current upgrade price.  As I posted above when I add the current upgrade it still adds the 20% tips, so not sure there is actually a price increase.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Look at the current upgrade price.  As I posted above when I add the current upgrade it still adds the 20% tips, so not sure there is actually a price increase.

Am I missing something or is my math off base.  If I upgrade my existing AI beverage pkg. to premium, the cost will be $24 pp/pd =$48 pp x 10 = $480??  Is the premium pkg. really worth that price?  or is there a lesser price based on my included basic bev. pkg.?  I've checked online and it doesn't give me the benefit of having an AI pkg.

Actual cost for 2 to upgrade in Cdn. $$s;  IMO that is exorbitant!

image.png.c6f63274eaed4139039f71ea7339a397.png

Edited by Oceangoer2

57 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

There would have been a price increase based on the previously posted FAQ doc. . The FAQ previously said $20 pp/pd gratuity included when it reality it apparently was meant to say $20 pp/pd plus gratuity.  This is of course based on the price before applicable discounts. 

56 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

I didn’t read the gratuity included part, but I just purchased the upgrade anyway with my 10% CC discount. I have been waiting for months for my cruise to offer a sale on the drink upgrade, but the flash sales have never included it, maybe because it’s a holiday cruise. If it happens to ever go on sale I will cancel and repurchase it, but I’m not going to hold my breath. 

1 minute ago, peterde said:

I didn’t read the gratuity included part, but I just purchased the upgrade anyway with my 10% CC discount. I have been waiting for months for my cruise to offer a sale on the drink upgrade, but the flash sales have never included it, maybe because it’s a holiday cruise. If it happens to ever go on sale I will cancel and repurchase it, but I’m not going to hold my breath. 

My upgrades have never gone on sale either and they aren't holiday cruises