Celebrity used to be a step above the rest....Not anymore

tiggypooo

I believe you can still rent a Tuxedo on the QM2.    If you want to fully experience the QM2 voyage you may want to do this.    I am been on the QM2 many times so what is the Yacht Club?   The Commodore Lounge overlooks the bow and has either a pianist or a string trio for entertainment. The Golden Lion is the Pub on board and it offers lunch and dinner.    The Queens Room has ballroom dancing and there is also a discotheque.    You can join the passenger choir and there is a performance during the crossing, sometimes popular music and other times sea faring songs.     Don’t miss the huge library and the planetarium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, truckswain said:

Can someone list what has been removed that has significantly impacted the overall cruise experience?  And if you have not sailed since these "cuts" have been introduced your opinion does not count.  

And please don't post $2 for a chocolate chip cookie, you just sound foolish.

I have been sailing for 30 years on all the "mass market" lines and many, many things have changed.  What has not changed are gorgeous ships, the ocean, someone cooking and cleaning other than me for a week, multiple entertainment options, food choices to satisfy all different types of preferences and the ability to be somewhere exotic that is not home.

Do you typically sail in an inside room (at perhaps $100 per night double occupancy) or in a suite at $1000++ nightly? Perspective and perceived value matters. 

1 hour ago, OceanCruise said:

Do you typically sail in an inside room (at perhaps $100 per night double occupancy) or in a suite at $1000++ nightly? Perspective and perceived value matters. 

I have not sailed in an inside cabin since my Honeymoon 30 years ago.  We typically sail in Veranda, IV, or Aqua Class.  We are in a suite on the Beyond in November.

I quite agree that perspective matters.  And there are quite a few who need a little of it.

• Like 2

Just returned from the Eclipse to Alaska. Although we enjoyed the cruise things have changed since our last Celebrity cruise on the reflection in 2019. I know they are trying to appeal to the masses but everything feels like it has been dumbed down. Food in main dining room was very mediocre with limited menu and very samey. The biggest difference is the maintenance of the ship, the cabin had rust on balcony as well as handrails that well worn, there was a shelf missing the laminate edging and a broken door on a cupboard. We noticed a hole in ceiling in passport bar where obviously there had been some sort of leak, and the furniture was also looking shabby. The staff were still great and the theatre shows were fabulous so we were happy with that aspect. We met a couple who had only previously sailed on Royal Princess and they were bitterly disappointed with the Eclipse and vowed not to come back to Celebrity on the back of that cruise. We are booked on the Constellation next summer and that ship is even older so not sure what will get on there.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, zitsky said:

Well there was the Celebrity announcement of no more toilet paper in the bathrooms.

Not quite.  If you are in a suite they have it available in a cabinet in the Retreat Lounge so you can carry some back to your bathroom.  But the cabinet is only open during the day.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, holidaylover10 said:

Just returned from the Eclipse to Alaska. Although we enjoyed the cruise things have changed since our last Celebrity cruise on the reflection in 2019. I know they are trying to appeal to the masses but everything feels like it has been dumbed down. Food in main dining room was very mediocre with limited menu and very samey. The biggest difference is the maintenance of the ship, the cabin had rust on balcony as well as handrails that well worn, there was a shelf missing the laminate edging and a broken door on a cupboard. We noticed a hole in ceiling in passport bar where obviously there had been some sort of leak, and the furniture was also looking shabby. The staff were still great and the theatre shows were fabulous so we were happy with that aspect. We met a couple who had only previously sailed on Royal Princess and they were bitterly disappointed with the Eclipse and vowed not to come back to Celebrity on the back of that cruise. We are booked on the Constellation next summer and that ship is even older so not sure what will get on there.

It's concerning to hear of your experience. We will be on Constellation in December for the first time and I plan to report back on our experience.... the good, the bad and the ugly! 

On 8/31/2023 at 9:57 AM, PTC DAWG said:

I really like sailing YC on MSC...the only issue I have is when I want to experience the rest of the ship...that is a step down from the rest of the ship on Celebrity.  That said, I'm sailing YC in  3 weeks..looking forward to it.  

We sail in Yacht Club Oct 29th

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 7:57 AM, PTC DAWG said:

I really like sailing YC on MSC...the only issue I have is when I want to experience the rest of the ship...that is a step down from the rest of the ship on Celebrity.  That said, I'm sailing YC in  3 weeks..looking forward to it.  

I agree that the rest of the ship (MSC) is not as good for Yacht Club cruisers as it is for Retreat cruisers on Celebrity. And we find that situation is even worse regarding the NCL Haven. But the Retreat is not the lower cost option to lux lines that it once was. 

11 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I agree that the rest of the ship (MSC) is not as good for Yacht Club cruisers as it is for Retreat cruisers on Celebrity. And we find that situation is even worse regarding the NCL Haven. But the Retreat is not the lower cost option to lux lines that it once was. 

What is the definition of “lower cost”?  I paid a few thousand over AQ for a SS on Millie in early 2025.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

What is the definition of “lower cost”?  I paid a few thousand over AQ for a SS on Millie in early 2025.

I don’t have the exact figures in front of me, but we recently booked an E. Caribbean 7 night cruise for two in a Regent Concierge suite for at least $1K less than a similar itinerary in the Retreat with a  SS suite, and guess what I booked? A no brainer. And the Regent cruise includes shore x, hotel in embarkation port,  ground transfers, included mini fridge, drinks, tips, and specialty restaurants. And, air too, though we want to upgrade to business. It’s simple economics. 

• Like 2

On 9/5/2023 at 3:23 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

I believe you can still rent a Tuxedo on the QM2.    If you want to fully experience the QM2 voyage you may want to do this.    I am been on the QM2 many times so what is the Yacht Club?   The Commodore Lounge overlooks the bow and has either a pianist or a string trio for entertainment. The Golden Lion is the Pub on board and it offers lunch and dinner.    The Queens Room has ballroom dancing and there is also a discotheque.    You can join the passenger choir and there is a performance during the crossing, sometimes popular music and other times sea faring songs.     Don’t miss the huge library and the planetarium.

Covepointcruiser, does The Golden Lion serve dinner on the QM2 or only on QV and QE?

1 minute ago, SusieAV8R said:

Covepointcruiser, does The Golden Lion serve dinner on the QM2 or only on QV and QE?

Additionally, it is possible to buy a nice tuxe without mortgaging the house, auctioning off one's first born or selling the family sedan. 😄

This thread is making me a little nervous. We are strongly considering a cruise on Celebrity for next May. But, this type of thread was on Princess several years ago and we still loved the Princess product. 

I’m hoping that since we won’t know what’s different, we will think the cruise is great. 

1 hour ago, helencruising said:

This thread is making me a little nervous. We are strongly considering a cruise on Celebrity for next May. But, this type of thread was on Princess several years ago and we still loved the Princess product. 

I’m hoping that since we won’t know what’s different, we will think the cruise is great. 

The Sky is falling is all you every hear here 

it most people in suites complaining up they only make up 5% of of the ships cabins but 95% of the complaining on CC 🙄😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

it most people in suites complaining up they only make up 5% of of the ships cabins but 95% of the complaining on CC 🙄😉

Not too overly dramatic. As I recall, the charging for room service, cuts in Oceanview Cafe for dinner, reduced options and quality in the main dining room, increased prices in specialty restaurants, and overall increased pricing are not suite issues at all. But, keep pushing your narrative........

mac_tlc

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I’m glad to hear that you think everything is 100% A-OK.  🙂

• Like 1

If you're thinking of Celebrity, ask why?  If it has to do with reputation on food quality, and anything of that sort... please read up.  If you find anything positive let us know.  If it's service related, isn't that what you expect anyways? 

On 9/7/2023 at 8:59 PM, SusieAV8R said:

Additionally, it is possible to buy a nice tuxe without mortgaging the house, auctioning off one's first born or selling the family sedan. 😄

I don’t think they serve dinner in the Golden Lion on the QM2 but I have had reports that they do serve dinner in the Pub on the smaller ships.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chardonnay Char said:

We did an American Queen river cruise last year. We were at that time 75 and 79 and we felt like the young'ns

My husband said age of pax and no fitness equipment on river were turn offs.  But he doesn’t want to do Ocean again either.  I think he likes the food variety on X.