Western Mediterranean Cruise - Taking Food from Windjammer and off the Ship

Hi all!

Is it allowed to take food out from Windjammer and off the ship? We have a very port intensive cruise coming soon with stops in France and Italy. As far as I know, it is allowed to get food into most of the Europe, but does Royal allow it? Will our bags be checked for food when exiting the ship? Some of our days will be pretty packed and might not be able to stop for lunch... so was thinking of making a couple of sandwiches at breakfast and take them off ship along with some fruits to have some quick food for the day.

Thank you!

11 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

It is most likely against agricultural laws to take non pre-packaged food off the ship.

Granola bars in a sealed package - ok.

Sandwiches made in Windjammer - no.

As per this link, even meat and fruits are allowed into EU for personal consumption... so I don't think sandwiches should be an issue and against agricultural laws:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm

The only issue could be if Royal won't allow it.

13 minutes ago, dannysporea said:

As per this link, even meat and fruits are allowed into EU for personal consumption... so I don't think sandwiches should be an issue and against agricultural laws:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm

The only issue could be if Royal won't allow it.

Only if they are from EU countries. How would you prove that? Since the ship is foreign flagged what is in the link may not apply. 

I think it would be a waste of your travel visiting European ports not to make time for lunch and sampling the local cuisine. That is part of travel not just seeing the sites.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, the cruise leaves from the EU (Barcelona) and ends in the EU (Rome) and only stops in EU ports (France and Italy)... so this should be proof enough I think. I totally agree with sampling local cuisine and will do that, we are also spending a few days before and after the cruise in the EU. Was just planning on getting some food for the couple of days that have a really packed schedule just in case.

5 hours ago, dannysporea said:

Well, the cruise leaves from the EU (Barcelona) and ends in the EU (Rome) and only stops in EU ports (France and Italy)... so this should be proof enough I think. I totally agree with sampling local cuisine and will do that, we are also spending a few days before and after the cruise in the EU. Was just planning on getting some food for the couple of days that have a really packed schedule just in case.

it seems like you've already made up your mind and have an argument for everyone that tells you it isn't allowed.... just saying...

Why not try it out and report back and let us know if you got away with it?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, poke315 said:

it seems like you've already made up your mind and have an argument for everyone that tells you it isn't allowed.... just saying...

Why not try it out and report back and let us know if you got away with it?

I am not trying to argue with anybody… just trying to figure out if anyone on a similar cruise has seen if Royal allows you to take food off the ship. Based on the EU rules, I am confident it is allowed by the EU and EU customs, and have no problem doing this if Royal allows it and does not check the bags on exit. I will definitely try it and report back on this thread after the cruise.

Edited by dannysporea

4 minutes ago, dannysporea said:

I am not trying to argue with anybody… just trying to figure out if anyone on a similar cruise has seen if Royal allows you to take food off the ship. Based on the EU rules, I am confident it is allowed by the EU, and have no problem doing this if Royal allows it and does not check the bags on exit. I will definitely try it and report back on this thread after the cruise.

Obviously, no one on here knows for sure and just wants to argue with you. 
I’d recommend just waiting and ask at guest services when you get on the ship. 

We have also done very port-intensive cruises in the Mediterranean with very busy days. Time was always built into the schedule to allow for lunch at a local establishment of one’s choosing or one that was part of the excursion. I don’t think you need to resort to smuggling off food. You will not starve but will be properly cared for. 

• Like 1

The ship will let you know beforehand if you aren't allowed to take fresh food off. They will make announcements telling you not to do it and will also leave a printout in your cabin about the local biosecurity laws telling you what you can and can't take off the ship. You will just have to wait and see.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ShazM said:

The ship will let you know beforehand if you aren't allowed to take fresh food off. They will make announcements telling you not to do it and will also leave a printout in your cabin about the local biosecurity laws telling you what you can and can't take off the ship. You will just have to wait and see.

That’s good to know they will do this. So if they won’t say anything, I should be good.

13 minutes ago, dannysporea said:

That’s good to know they will do this. So if they won’t say anything, I should be good.

So you obviously can't for Greece as per the above. I don't know about Europe but doing the transpacific last October from Honolulu to Sydney we were told from probably 3 days before we got to New Zealand that no fresh food was allowed to be taken off the ship, no fruit, sandwiches or anything else that wasn't in a sealed packet like a snack bar or chips/crisps or chocolate bar and things like that. We were told numerous times and also told numerous times that there would be sniffer dogs at each NZ port and we were risking a $300 NZD fine. You would not believe the number of idiotic people that thought they could get away with it and were trying to take fruit, sandwiches and cold meats and cheeses off the ship and all were caught by the beagles.

As best as I remember, I recall the Greece restrictions being applicable for most (if not all) cruises we've ever taken.  Aside from water (we even had to ditch the coffee), nothing can be taken ashore.  (Saw the dog sniff someone out in Cozumel a couple of months ago)

Looking at a recent cruise compass for a cruise leaving Barcelona, like ours:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compasses/symphony-of-the-seas/sun-06042023-0000-0

There is no mention of not being allowed to take food in France and Italy ports (other than Civitavecchia). So it may be port dependent and probably depends also on where the cruise starts, if it is from the EU, you might be able to take food out.

2 hours ago, LindaD22 said:

We have also done very port-intensive cruises in the Mediterranean with very busy days. Time was always built into the schedule to allow for lunch at a local establishment of one’s choosing or one that was part of the excursion. I don’t think you need to resort to smuggling off food. You will not starve but will be properly cared for. 

Smuggling off?
What a wording…

Unless there are specific rules against it… it’s not smuggling at all. 
And yes, there are prepackaged food one can take off the ship and some excursions offer. 

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, dannysporea said:

Hi all!

Is it allowed to take food out from Windjammer and off the ship? We have a very port intensive cruise coming soon with stops in France and Italy. As far as I know, it is allowed to get food into most of the Europe, but does Royal allow it? Will our bags be checked for food when exiting the ship? Some of our days will be pretty packed and might not be able to stop for lunch... so was thinking of making a couple of sandwiches at breakfast and take them off ship along with some fruits to have some quick food for the day.

Thank you!

Surely part of bring in Europe is taking time to enjoy lunch? As the Europeans do. Not eating a stale squashed sandwich from the WJ. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dannysporea said:

Hi all!

Thank you!

I am not sure I understand the question. When did anyone have their the bags searched exiting the ship and if so, by whom? 

There may well be restrictions and checks imposed by local officials when entering a country and passing through a local checkpoint.

Packaged goods are always safest from many aspects. I am not sure why you would risk the hassle of doing something else.

Here are the official regulations:

Taking food ashore should be okay. I can´t remember having ever encountered a customs check of any kind during a Mediterranean cruise that remains within the EU, nor do they check your bags when exiting the ship.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShazM said:

So you obviously can't for Greece as per the above. I don't know about Europe but doing the transpacific last October from Honolulu to Sydney we were told from probably 3 days before we got to New Zealand that no fresh food was allowed to be taken off the ship, no fruit, sandwiches or anything else that wasn't in a sealed packet like a snack bar or chips/crisps or chocolate bar and things like that. We were told numerous times and also told numerous times that there would be sniffer dogs at each NZ port and we were risking a $300 NZD fine. You would not believe the number of idiotic people that thought they could get away with it and were trying to take fruit, sandwiches and cold meats and cheeses off the ship and all were caught by the beagles.

I remember someone posting several years ago on a flight to NZ. Daughter had taken a bite out of the apple served with lunch and decided to save the rest for later and slipped it into the mom’s tote bag but didn’t tell her. They got off the plane and were immediately zapped with a $300 fine. 

@dannysporea Just another thought about taking sandwiches with you on port days.

Make sure the sandwiches remain at a good temperature if they contain meat, mayo or butter.

I became very I’ll once after eating a baloney sandwich that had been packed in a tote on a school bus during a field trip.

Not a good situation!

PBand J sandwhich would be okay.

But, if I felt the need to bring food on an excursion, I would choose fruit -if allowed in ports- crackers,granola bars, nuts.

In other words-not anything that could spoil if temperatures were warm to hot outside.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 4