Pronunciation?

39august

17 minutes ago, 39august said:

Please help me out here. What is the correct pronunciation of Oceania. I say it one way and a friend says it another way.

Some say Oh See Anna, others say Oh She Ann EE Ah.  I assume there are other variations. 

Whichever floats your boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 39august said:

Please help me out here. What is the correct pronunciation of Oceania. I say it one way and a friend says it another way.

There is a tendency in the UK to pronounce the "i", so "oh she ann ee ah". But in the US people are generally particular to pronounce it "oh see anna". 

The funny (true) story is that although the CEO of O has pronounced it the American way for a long time, someone on one of these threads posted a video of him at the first press conference announcing the cruise line, pronouncing it the British way.

As I said, there is a long thread somewhere here with a discussion about that.

Anyway, you can't go wrong.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

There is a tendency in the UK to pronounce the "i", so "oh she ann ee ah". But in the US people are generally particular to pronounce it "oh see anna". 

The funny (true) story is that although the CEO of O has pronounced it the American way for a long time, someone on one of these threads posted a video of him at the first press conference announcing the cruise line, pronouncing it the British way.

As I said, there is a long thread somewhere here with a discussion about that.

Anyway, you can't go wrong.

It was FDR (dad) who said it the American way and FDR Jr who said it the British way. The video was the Vista christening (on youtube)

Similar to "Aluminium" and "Aluminum".  The former is the British spelling and it is pronounced al-you-min-ee-um.  The latter is the American spelling and is pronounced a-loo-min-um. 

AS Oceania sticks that i near the end of the name I suspect it was/is intended to be pronounced O-she-ann-ee-ah.

2 minutes ago, WayneLaR said:

Similar to "Aluminium" and "Aluminum".  The former is the British spelling and it is pronounced al-you-min-ee-um.  The latter is the American spelling and is pronounced a-loo-min-um. 

AS Oceania sticks that i near the end of the name I suspect it was/is intended to be pronounced O-she-ann-ee-ah.

No, not what SR. named it. As has been posted before the reason it has the i is that P &O already had a ship called Oceana, so they couldn't call it that. 

I'm certainly not one to listen to about word pronunciations, just ask my wife, but I call it O She Anna. But I also say O Shun for this word, Ocean.  You'll hear many of the Captain's and French officers pronounce the "i"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You're probably right on that, ORV.  Thanks for that bit of background.  I prefer O-she-anna as well.  As I do with most American pronunciations and spellings. 

For example, why we  English speaking Canadians spell "center" as "centre" is beyond me.  Centre is the French spelling. 

43 minutes ago, WayneLaR said:

Similar to "Aluminium" and "Aluminum".

No, not similar because "aluminium" has an "i" before the "u", while aluminum does not.  Each word is being pronounced in the way it's spelled. "Oceania"  has only one spelling. 

2 hours ago, ORV said:

No, not what SR. named it. As has been posted before the reason it has the i is that P &O already had a ship called Oceana, so they couldn't call it that. 

I'm certainly not one to listen to about word pronunciations, just ask my wife, but I call it O She Anna. But I also say O Shun for this word, Ocean.  You'll hear many of the Captain's and French officers pronounce the "i"

I agree with ORV.  I saw a video with FDR, Sr. many years ago where he said it is pronounced O-shee-anna.  That was the name he chose, but he had to add the "i" since the "Oceana" line already had that spelling.  He chose not to pronounce the "i."  However you pronouce it, I am happy to see you onboard!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

There is a tendency in the UK to pronounce the "i", so "oh she ann ee ah".

Although this Briton pronounces it as "oh she ARN ee ah".

There are , of course, quite a lot of words where Americans and Britons differ on syllable emphasis. "Tomato" is probably the best known.  Aluminium is another - I say alum..inium, you say aloo.....minum. 

I used to drive a Skoda Octavia where even the car sales guys couldnt agree on the pronunciation of Octavia. Whether it was "Oct  are  via" or "Oct aaa via". I now drive their Karoq and it was only when I bought that car that I learned Skoda is pronounced Schkoda and not with a hard "k". 

Edited by Harters

10 hours ago, WayneLaR said:

For example, why we  English speaking Canadians spell "center" as "centre" is beyond me. 

Many years back, before my first holiday to Canada, I asked about words/pronunciation on a forum I used which had quite a number of Canadian contributors. The general response I got, presumably tongue in cheek, was that Canadians used the British English spelling so they wouldnt be thought to be as Americans. 

Although there was the old adage about "what's a Canadian". That's an unarmed American with health care. 

I'll pop my head back down in the trench now. 😀

• Haha 5

If you watched the Vista launch, every single employee and executive who spoke (and there were a lot of them) called it Oh Shee Ann EE AA. Not one called the cruise line Oh She Anna. 

Edited by DrKoob

16 hours ago, WayneLaR said:

I've often wondered why, of all the elements ending in "ium", it seems only to be Aluminium/Aluminum which has an alternative spelling and therefore pronunciation.  Other common elements, like Calcium, Uranium, Potassium, Magnesium, Titanium, Sodium etc., are the same on both sides of the Atlantic, aren't they?

Any ideas for me to think about while I wait for our next Oceania (however it's pronounced) cruise in May? 

Edited by Sekhmet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

how Caribbean is pronounced in  Royal Carribean?

It'll depend on if its American pronunciation. Or British/Caribbean pronunciation.  Or possibly Norwegian pronunciation, as that's its founding nation. 

It's another of those words where the syllable emphasis differs. I say Carri...be...an. I believe Americans will say Carrib...ee..an. In my experience, most folk from that part of the world pronounce it in the British style. But I've no idea how it might be pronounced in those Caribbean countries where English is not the first language. 

44 minutes ago, Harters said:

It'll depend on if its American pronunciation. Or British/Caribbean pronunciation.  Or possibly Norwegian pronunciation, as that's its founding nation. 

It's another of those words where the syllable emphasis differs. I say Carri...be...an. I believe Americans will say Carrib...ee..an. In my experience, most folk from that part of the world pronounce it in the British style. But I've no idea how it might be pronounced in those Caribbean countries where English is not the first language. 

Not singling you out but we have to spell it right to say it right. I see you got it right, some others no. I pronounce it both ways, just however I feel at the time. 

26 minutes ago, ORV said:

we have to spell it right to say it right.

Ah, that's a whole different thing. Not so long ago, I read an article that nowadays most folk learning English as a second language, now choose American English, even in countries that were once part of the British Empire. You have to honour or honor their decision. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Harters said:

Ah, that's a whole different thing. Not so long ago, I read an article that nowadays most folk learning English as a second language, now choose American English, even in countries that were once part of the British Empire. You have to honour or honor their decision. 

I guess it’s all good as long as we’re not being an a***/a** about it. 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Haha 1