Butler Team Service in SS - Please Post Current Cruisers Comments on your Experience.

JDPCruisers

17 hours ago, susanrobert said:

Just off the Equinox 9/2/23.  Our experience mirrors the others. 1 head butler, 3 retreat concierges and 1 retreat host (cabin attendant).

First thing we were advised by, I believe our cabin attendant, aka retreat host, was that "the butler was taken away".  He said that it would be a team, etc.  Well, first request we made was declined.  All we wanted was a cocktail in our cabin for sail away.  We were told by the head butler that drinks were part of the butler removal.  They could deliver food but not drinks. 

The 3 retreat concierges work in the lounge.  We didn't need to call often but you couldn't always get through. Once it took 3 tries.  The calls would get rerouted to room service.  When you could get them, they were VERY friendly and efficient.  But, they are stretched WAY too thin.

Cabin attendant did a great job, he was always nearby if we needed anything but didn't do anything over and above as a butler would do. He has 14 cabins to take care of.  I don't know how Celebrity thinks that someone who has to tend to 14 cabins has time for anything else.  When we ordered room service, it was brought by room service, not anyone from retreat.

Mini bar was a no-no.  He did empty it for us but we had to lug waters from the lounge to the fridge. Hint-take a tote bag and load up!  

Staff in Luminae were fantastic.  Also, even though this ship is older and doesn't have a pool or bar on the retreat deck there were servers constantly coming around to see if you needed anything and had a light lunch menu that they would deliver to you.

This was our first Celebrity cruise in a long time and our first retreat experience.  We typically sail in MSC Yacht club.  This was our experience YMMV.  

could you get a drink at the Retreat Bar and some snacks to take back to your suite for sailaway?

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

So did you order breakfast by hanging the tag on the door the prior evening?  Or is that service gone too?  One of the only things we had our butler do was deliver breakfast and set it up on our balcony.  Not much else really.

Yes, we used the room tag twice.  Both times it was brought by room service.  Once it was hot and correct. The second time cold and incorrect.  Took half hour to resend correct order.  First time they offered to set it up, 2nd time drop and run.

52 minutes ago, hcat said:

could you get a drink at the Retreat Bar and some snacks to take back to your suite for sailaway?

We had a sunset sky suite deck 11 aft.  To try to carry snacks and drinks all the way back to the cabin was difficult.  Also, we weren't informed until shortly before sailaway when we attempted to order the cocktails that the perk was removed. 

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I talked to my husband.  He doesn’t care about the butler.  He wants the other perks.  So we won’t go to Aqua and lose our deposit.

Do you think I can get the Retreat “team” to all wear tuxedos?  😂

Why do you think you will lose your deposit if you just change cabin category?  Even if it is a downgrade you should not lose your deposit as long as you are staying on the same sailing.

48 minutes ago, susanrobert said:

We had a sunset sky suite deck 11 aft.  To try to carry snacks and drinks all the way back to the cabin was difficult.  Also, we weren't informed until shortly before sailaway when we attempted to order the cocktails that the perk was removed. 

I thought this might pose a logistical issue. 

We are back in AQ Class next time where we heard the canapes have been  emlinated. 

We plan to bring along the permitted 2 btls of wine/ bubbly and snacks.( and little containers for foraging! )

We will have an inf balc so will meet up for sailaway toast with our roll call

M O D E R N  L U X U R Y.

the Royal Way!

1 hour ago, susanrobert said:

The second time cold and incorrect.  Took half hour to resend correct order.  First time they offered to set it up, 2nd time drop and run.

This is terrible.  This is a definite downgrade from the butler delivering the breakfast.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 8:11 AM, hcat said:

wonder if the grat may eventually be reduced. Seems it is not the same level of service with the team plan. 

( We  were one and done with the SS..before the changes..did not suit us yet we paid the included suite grats plu$)

I guess we can all look after the implementation date and see if we notice any fares dropping.   When you have a hidden bundled price it will be hard to isolate.

Since they are cutting both the Gratuities and Eliminating the OBC one would think you might see a drop but not sure it will be visible.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CalTexCruiser said:

This is terrible.  This is a definite downgrade from the butler delivering the breakfast.

From a practical standpoint, it’s also annoying. We consider the room service delivery covered by the tips (& extra tips) we’ve traditionally given the butler. When not in a suite we always tip for each room service delivery. I really don’t want to stiff the room service staff, but we prefer not to be bothered having to keep small bills around for continual tipping.

1 hour ago, JaneStarr said:

From a practical standpoint, it’s also annoying. We consider the room service delivery covered by the tips (& extra tips) we’ve traditionally given the butler. When not in a suite we always tip for each room service delivery. I really don’t want to stiff the room service staff, but we prefer not to be bothered having to keep small bills around for continual tipping.

I totally agree with you but this is from the Celebrity website:

"Tips

If you’re wondering when and how much to tip your dedicated service team — don’t. We’ve got it covered. As a guest of The Retreat, all your gratuities are prepaid."

9 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

"Tips

If you’re wondering when and how much to tip your dedicated service team — don’t. We’ve got it covered. As a guest of The Retreat, all your gratuities are prepaid."

I don’t really believe they pay part of the “butler’s” tip portion to room service people, but we’ll never know for sure.  Anyway, they’ll eventually get around to editing that after 10/4 since Suite Grats will no longer automatically be prepaid. (Won’t hold my breath waiting for that correction.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OceanCruise said:

"Tips

Unless you book after Oct 4th then the gratuity will not be included for suites.

6 hours ago, susanrobert said:

Here is where I am going to have a discussion with the Butler team. See the copy of the retreat amenities from the Celebrity Web site. Read the drinks package, it says specifically to enjoy in your suite. To me that means the butler or somebody will bring ordered drinks to your cabin and this is included with the Retreat Premium drinks. I will have a print out with me next week when we board the Apex to show to the Retreat managers. Am I wrong about how I interpret this?

image.thumb.png.c5b63f6f410123524aa97b87bedd0e66.png

• Like 3

On the topic of breakfast, in Retreat in the Spring, we had an issue arise when the hang tag wasn't taken, and then a parade of errors unfolded with the attempt to get us what we had ordered.  There is also a huge difference between the quality of the room service breakfast and Luminae. It would be better if one could place the order online, so as not to have to repeatedly fill out the door hanger (and guess at what and how any notes or quantities may be handled), and receive a drop off from Luninae (if open). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Here is where I am going to have a discussion with the Butler team. See the copy of the retreat amenities from the Celebrity Web site. Read the drinks package, it says specifically to enjoy in your suite. To me that means the butler or somebody will bring ordered drinks to your cabin and this is included with the Retreat Premium drinks. I will have a print out with me next week when we board the Apex to show to the Retreat managers. Am I wrong about how I interpret this?

image.thumb.png.c5b63f6f410123524aa97b87bedd0e66.png

I think your interpretation is entirely reasonable, and it's consistent with those that have had non-drip coffee brought to their room.  Bottom line, they claim to have about a 2:1 crew ratio, and they should be able to find someone to bring a suite guest a drink or anything else that is onboard, and disclosing any additional charges for the item (but the staff are already there, onboard, to serve). You already paid for the drink, so all you need is delivery. 

But the idea that the person who was already cleaning and making up rooms is suddenly going to have time and possibly skills to be the Butler is messed up.

If the Butler can't bring a drink the system should find someone to do so.  

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 7

As I've understood the butler responsibility over the years delivering morning coffee/cappuccinos/lattes  was included where delivering drinks was not.   Driinks ordered to your room via room service are not covered by the beverage packages just like the mini bar (mini bar lower suites).   I understand that some butlers probably did provide this service especially for the upper suites..

PS - Terry, it's your vacation, and your choice. But, having gotten to know you some, I'd say go for "it." And, get the chit chat done with the manager, and hotel director during  embarkation after the muster station visit.  They will smile, clap at Sweet Caroline, etc, so better to make it known that they offered and you accepted the Retreat experience.  That gives them every chance to exceed the lowered expectation that are not secrets at this point.  And, keep a record, post to Celebrity's daily Instagram feed, etc.  Either Celebrity has figured out how to serve or the entire Retreat at this point is BS layered on top of BS, and a balcony.  And find that QR code 

And, tilapia is on sale this week at my local grocery store.  I immediately thought of Celebrity. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

As I've understood the butler responsibility over the years delivering morning coffee/cappuccinos/lattes  was included where delivering drinks was not.   Driinks ordered to your room via room service are not covered by the beverage packages just like the mini bar (mini bar lower suites).   I understand that some butlers probably did provide this service especially for the upper suites..

That has always been my understanding and experience as well.  From Sky Suites to Royal Suites we never had a butler offer to deliver drinks or asked to have drinks delivered.  When having dinner the Butler has offered to open the wine but no drink delivery .  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We are booked on the January B2B Edge cruises in January, too late to cancel with already paid $9000 airfare. We feel the same as you about losing the butler srvices.

We are booked for an Apex cruise in July.  Airfare already purchased, the rest of the trip is all booked, and it is just too late for us to easily cancel it all.  It really feels like bait and switch to me.  Celebrity is making it clear that this will be a one and done for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cap_D said:

And find that QR code 

.... for onboard customer feedback and use it. For an organization that is so motivated by surveys, the onboard form gives the crew, including management, ban opportunity to address concerns before there's nothing that can be done.  

2 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

.... for onboard customer feedback and use it. For an organization that is so motivated by surveys, the onboard form gives the crew, including management, ban opportunity to address concerns before there's nothing that can be done.  

How much can they do with the current staffing?.  I doubt the HD has the authority to reinstate Butlers.  The cabin attendants/Retreat Team are being stretched thin and assisted by Room Service to deliver food.  Refilling the the mini bar is no longer being done.  Delivering drinks was the exception not the norm for SS and CS when there were Butlers.  I just don’t think the ships officers have the resources or authority to offer drink delivery to 146 Sky Suites.  

36 minutes ago, jelayne said:

How much can they do with the current staffing?.  I doubt the HD has the authority to reinstate Butlers.  The cabin attendants/Retreat Team are being stretched thin and assisted by Room Service to deliver food.  Refilling the the mini bar is no longer being done.  Delivering drinks was the exception not the norm for SS and CS when there were Butlers.  I just don’t think the ships officers have the resources or authority to offer drink delivery to 146 Sky Suites.  

Perhaps.  But, the hotel director is in management over the Retreat experience,  and should hear the feedback, as should the captain.  Their brand is sinking through internal sabotage, etc.  They ask for feedback, mingle, and walk around all smiles and Retreat passengers should be nicely voicing their legit concerns instead of holding them back.  Plus give them the benefit of a chance to provide (tailored) exceptional service or at least convey to hq that they are being put in a difficult position, paying passengers are dissatisfied, etc.     

And, what exactly are a "dedicated team of attendants, hosts, concierges, and butlers" for?  That or a variant is a line item in all Retreat marketing.  The burden can't be on the paying passenger to self edit requests for hospitality and service.   And, there are plenty of ways a team should be able to figure out how to wow customers and respond to reasonable requests that involve movement or communication about the ship to accomplish.  And, a disclosure or a disclaimer, including one that may be argued to create ambiguity, doesn't erase a false or misleading claim.  In any event, the statement was made on their website, no one made it up, and they promote a team to do something regardless of titles. 

CEL_Selling_Guide_2023 (1) (1).pdf

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

That is very true the drinks ordered is not included for Sky suite but the picture nd the statements shown is legitimate.