Discovery Princess dining dress code

Cattiathecat

14 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

The problem for me with baseball caps is the ears... the top of my ears get burned. I suppose I could wear it with the peak at the side but it would only protect on ear... and I'd look goofy!

The answer for me is Tilley Endurables.  Great Canadian product! 

Just to keep it in line.  I wear a Tilley hat on outdoor excursions all the time.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The answer for me is Tilley Endurables.  Great Canadian product! 

Just to keep it in line.  I wear a Tilley hat on outdoor excursions all the time.

That hat or similar with a mosquito screen would be perfect for an early Alaska season excursions. 

image.png.c91c4a1bb91a12ce2856e37437f971a0.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Droink said:

I've never understood why dressing a specific way somehow adds to or ruins a cruise experience?!?  It's ludicrous.  Just eat, drink and be merry! 

This is the way it should be.  Unfortunately, SOME people are too caught up with adhering to dress suggestions and can't help but comment when others aren't in participation.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Droink said:

jwattle - Did you and your bride get married or honeymoon on a Princess cruise?  Your photos are awesome...so sweet 😍

Hi,

Actually, we didn't wed on a Princess cruise, we just enjoy dressing it up when we're on a ship. Thank you so much for your kind words! After 25 years of marriage it's great to still feel like a pair of kids; he still gives me butterflies 🥰

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SCX22 said:

This is the way it should be.  Unfortunately, SOME people are too caught up with adhering to dress suggestions and can't help but comment when others aren't in participation.

Since everyone can now select their own style of clothing on any night, we can all be happy and enjoy the dining room dressed as we choose. 

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
14 hours ago, Droink said:

I've never understood why dressing a specific way somehow adds to or ruins a cruise experience?!?  It's ludicrous.  Just eat, drink and be merry! 

For us it is that we get very little opportunity in our normal life to dress and and feel special for a few hours. Putting on a tux for men and evening gown for ladies does make many of us feel special and we do it when we get the chance.

The issue for me isn't really about what I think of others if they don't want to dress up. Everyone has their own attitude to how they dress and it isn't for me to judge others if they don't want to do so. 

But there is a different feel to an evening if you are one of just a few who dressed up vs one of most that have dressed up.

In the first instance you are the minority and being that it can make you feel uncomfortable. It also highlights the fact that you are the exception and it does reduce the specialness of it all... at least it does for me and I suspect it might for many other too.

In the second instance, with most people around you dressed in a similarly smart way, it emphasises the specialness of the whole evening and you feel part of something nice. It also reduces the chance of feeling embarrassed at being dressed differently.

So while I accept that Princess no longer enforce smart dress on formal nights (if they ever did!) it doesn't mean I am happy with it entirely.

I did think that this might be in part resolved if they split the MDRs between normal dress (whatever Princess decide that is) for one MDR and formal dress for another (or just have a formal area where people formally dressed could sit together). That way everyone could be accomodated... which for me would be the ideal solution 🙂 

48 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I did think that this might be in part resolved if they split the MDRs between normal dress (whatever Princess decide that is) for one MDR and formal dress for another (or just have a formal area where people formally dressed could sit together). That way everyone could be accomodated... which for me would be the ideal solution 🙂 

I've seen that idea suggested many times over the years and although it would satisfy lots of people, implementing it would be next to impossible. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
48 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I've seen that idea suggested many times over the years and although it would satisfy lots of people, implementing it would be next to impossible. 

True 🙂 Just thinking aloud 🙂 

Guest Snaxmuppet
29 minutes ago, edspec said:

I think the issue here is being comfortable with YOUR choices and not needing the validation of a crowd.  

It isn't about "validation" in any way at all. It is about sharing an experience more than anything else instead of it just being in isolation.

17 hours ago, Droink said:

Agree.  I do not see where dress is out of control or out of bounds on all the cruises we do.  Princess suggests a dress code and people have the option to dress formally or more business casual.  It is not that big a deal and we certainly do not care what others are wearing anywhere on the ship at anytime.  The real code Princess should be promoting is " passengers just need to mind their own business and enjoy their cruise."  Live and let live.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I do not see where dress is out of control or out of bounds on all the cruises we do.  Princess suggests a dress code and people have the option to dress formally or more business casual.

I'll have to say that Princess is getting a little too lax with what they're allowing on formal nights. Although it really doesn't bother me as we lean towards the more casual side of things but lately, with people wearing shorts on a formal night it is getting a little ridiculous to say the least.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I'll have to say that Princess is getting a little too lax with what they're allowing on formal nights. Although it really doesn't bother me as we lean towards the more casual side of things but lately, with people wearing shorts on a formal night it is getting a little ridiculous to say the least.

Then say something to the Maitre D. We do! If that is ignored  we'll go to guest services.

• Haha 3

Just now, rbtan said:

Then say something to the Maitre D. We do! If that is ignored  we'll go to guest services.

I really don't have a big problem with it at all. I was just stating that they seem to be getting very tolerant about the situation in general.

I'm totally happy with the way things are today compared to years ago when people were forced into wearing gowns and suits and ties.  

I'm certain the Maître D' and guest services will appease you to no end. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Exactly!  You nailed it and I completely agree.

• Like 1

Just now, Oxo said:

So, if they are getting too relaxed, that means you dress as you like. Princess will not confront anyone to create a scene or loose a client. Money counts!

What is soo difficult to ask a poorly dressed pax to go back to their room & put on a pair of slacks & change the T shirt to a Polo type? It is not rocket science.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1