Question about gratuities...

Greytgrey

From a staff article on Cruise Critic:

"Tipping policies vary by line, so be sure to check your cruise line's tipping policy before setting sail. Generally speaking, mainstream, U.S.-based cruise lines automatically add gratuities of about $14 to $15 per person, per day, to your onboard bill. These tips are divided among the dining staff (waiters, assistant waiters and head waiters) and housekeeping staff (such as cabin attendants)"

If one removes the mandatory Princess Employee Salary Subsidy that is spread fleetwide and supposedly to the back of the house employees, tips should still go to the folks mentioned in bold who provide direct service to passengers. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/what-to-expect-on-a-cruise-tipping-crewmembers-on-a-cruise%23:~:text%3DGenerally%20speaking%2C%20mainstream%2C%20U.S.%2D,(such%20as%20cabin%20attendants).&ved=2ahUKEwiAq_bImLqCAxUDmYQIHeKdDRcQFnoECBEQBQ&usg=AOvVaw0APgNEPOKiGad1KAdL75GA

4 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

From a staff article on Cruise Critic:

"Tipping policies vary by line, so be sure to check your cruise line's tipping policy before setting sail. Generally speaking, mainstream, U.S.-based cruise lines automatically add gratuities of about $14 to $15 per person, per day, to your onboard bill. These tips are divided among the dining staff (waiters, assistant waiters and head waiters) and housekeeping staff (such as cabin attendants)"

If one removes the mandatory Princess Employee Salary Subsidy that is spread fleetwide and supposedly to the back of the house employees, tips should still go to the folks mentioned in bold who provide direct service to passengers. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/what-to-expect-on-a-cruise-tipping-crewmembers-on-a-cruise%23:~:text%3DGenerally%20speaking%2C%20mainstream%2C%20U.S.%2D,(such%20as%20cabin%20attendants).&ved=2ahUKEwiAq_bImLqCAxUDmYQIHeKdDRcQFnoECBEQBQ&usg=AOvVaw0APgNEPOKiGad1KAdL75GA

published 2020. Says “mandatory “?

27 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

If they are paid a "mutually agreed upon contracted salary" it sounds as if the so-called Crew Appreciation is actually the Princess Employee Salary Subsidy (PESS) and removing the mandated pre-paid daily fee would not affect their salary since it is a contracted amount.

If one removed the daily fee and directly tips those with whom one has interacted and from whom one has received excellent service, those crew are actually reaping the benefit of their exemplary service and still receiving their "mutually agreed upon contracted salary".  

I do understand your point, but wasn’t the change partly to make things more balanced between the behind the scenes crew and those who interact with passengers? And wasn’t it also a result of dining changes with the end of the same wait staff nightly who were tipped at the end of the cruise? The cruise environment has changed and for me at least, going back to the “old” tipping style doesn’t really fit the new reality.

I understand that people don’t like the idea that their CA is then pooled among all the ships, but it probably is the easiest way of doing things.

• Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

J, I believe the crew mentions were mainly taken into consideration for promotions or possible extra training.  At least that is mostly what I have read.  Also, you must be aware how much crew appreciates getting a good review write-up.  I'd like to think it makes at least a little bit of a difference.

My understanding is that, if the survey is completed more than three days post cruise, the crew mentions aren’t disseminated to the ship. Perhaps @CruiseRaider can clarify if that’s incorrect. 

1 minute ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

My understanding is that, if the survey is completed more than three days post cruise, the crew mentions aren’t disseminated to the ship. Perhaps @CruiseRaider can clarify if that’s incorrect. 

I did hear that once.  I do know that if you wait too long to do the survey, they don't allow it.  That is disappointing.  I didn't get to them all last Fall in time, but three were for same ship.

4 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I do understand your point, but wasn’t the change partly to make things more balanced between the behind the scenes crew and those who interact with passengers? And wasn’t it also a result of dining changes with the end of the same wait staff nightly who were tipped at the end of the cruise? The cruise environment has changed and for me at least, going back to the “old” tipping style doesn’t really fit the new reality.

I understand that people don’t like the idea that their CA is then pooled among all the ships, but it probably is the easiest way of doing things.

Like you, as Canadian it is easier for me to leave it as is, and I prepay.

But, I don’t like how the crew are not getting this money as tips, in addition to salary.

It is still a choice. I can see it becoming mandatory 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dog said:

But, I don’t like how the crew are not getting this money as tips, in addition to salary.

It is mandatory, if you have a beverage package…as you can’t remove it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dog said:

I guess in my mind, I’ve seen it AS their salary for a long time. This charge is added to our fare to pay it. It would be nice if it was just included in the base fare, but it’s not. My understanding (and someone correct me if I’m wrong) is that their base salaries were increased after this change so that they would not be so dependant on “the kindness of strangers”. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I asked several crew and even a couple of supervisors again last week, while we were on the Discovery Princess.  It is a common understanding amongst all these employees that if the survey is not completed within three days after the end of the cruise and you wish to mention names or departments, they will not show on the listing of the ship’s supervisors / officers.  
They surveys are still tabulated if sent in after 3 days, but the crew and staff will never see your comments that you’ve made or that their name was mentioned.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I asked several crew and even a couple of supervisors again last week, while we were on the Discovery Princess.  It is a common understanding amongst all these employees that if the survey is not completed within three days after the end of the cruise and you wish to mention names or departments, they will not show on the listing of the ship’s supervisors / officers.  
They surveys are still tabulated if sent in after 3 days, but the crew and staff will never see your comments that you’ve made or that their name was mentioned.  

Anytime we're on B2B, we complete the survey on turnaround day.  The next voyage, they knew we did the shout outs on the survey, and thanked us. 

This last cruise, we completed it on the flight home. 

We didn't know the exact time allotment, but knew we had to do complete it pretty quickly, now we're glad we're completing within three days.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I was informed of this policy at a “In the life of a bartender “ behind the scenes tour that Cherry Pie ( yes that’s her name) -the Bar Manager on Emerald - did in September this year. It totally hit me why the crew I sailed with month after month with in 2021 and 2022 didn’t seem to be getting the reviews I wrote about them (always about a week after getting off).  I was very sad about that.  I now do them within the 3 day limit for crew on board to get the feedback. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I was informed of this policy at a “In the life of a bartender “ behind the scenes tour that Cherry Pie ( yes that’s her name) -the Bar Manager on Emerald - did in September this year. It totally hit me why the crew I sailed with month after month with in 2021 and 2022 didn’t seem to be getting the reviews I wrote about them (always about a week after getting off).  I was very sad about that.  I now do them within the 3 day limit for crew on board to get the feedback. 

I started writing up crew appreciation messages and handing them in to Guest Services before the end of the cruise. Hope crew received some recognition for that.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Anytime we're on B2B, we complete the survey on turnaround day.  The next voyage, they knew we did the shout outs on the survey, and thanked us. 

This last cruise, we completed it on the flight home. 

We didn't know the exact time allotment, but knew we had to do complete it pretty quickly, now we're glad we're completing within three days.

I do the same.  On turnaround day of a B2B, we fill it out right after reboarding.  At the end of the cruise, I use it to fill the time while waiting for boarding to begin.  I usually take my time and give them a lot to read.  It takes me at least 2 hours.  My DH flies through his .. 😂 .. and then he’s bored to death waiting for our flight! 
The first time I heard about having 3 days is from one of the supervisors that urged us to fill out the survey.  I asked him if he saw it next time we were onboard and he said, “no”.  He was the one that originally told me it had to be done in three days, which is why we started to complete it asap.  

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

He was the one that originally told me it had to be done in three days, which is why we started to complete it asap.  

Princess needs to change that. There is no need to have that arbitrary cut off, and even less need to not inform their guests about it. It shows a lack of respect for both guests and crew. Many guests aren’t in a position to receive and complete the survey within three days even if they want to. 

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Princess needs to change that. There is no need to have that arbitrary cut off, and even less need to not inform their guests about it. It shows a lack of respect for both guests and crew. Many guests aren’t in a position to receive and complete the survey within three days even if they want to. 

The survey results are still tabulated and noted through corporate .. it’s just the names of those you mean to compliment don’t go out on a list to the ship’s supervisors if not competed within 3 days.  
I can understand their reasoning as there are a few cruises that are as short as 2 or 3 days and they need to keep things moving along.  But, I also understand that at least passengers should be in the know about the process. 
I’m sure they are just happy that people even take the time to fill them out in the first place.  I know many don’t!  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

The survey results are still tabulated and noted through corporate .. it’s just the names of those you mean to compliment don’t go out on a list to the ship’s supervisors if not competed within 3 days.  
I can understand their reasoning as there are a few cruises that are as short as 2 or 3 days and they need to keep things moving along.  But, I also understand that at least passengers should be in the know about the process. 
I’m sure they are just happy that people even take the time to fill them out in the first place.  I know many don’t!  

Maybe more guests would fill them out, if the survey wasn’t so long.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Maybe more guests would fill them out, if the survey wasn’t so long.

You can fly through it if you choose that route.  I know I gather up all the names I want to mention by department during the cruise.  My DH has his done in no time flat .. I write about each and everyone that made my cruise more memorable.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

While I appreciate your rationalization, what percentage of Princess cruises are 2 or 3 days long?  Perhaps 1 to 2 percent. And since the entire survey process seems fully automated, I can’t imagine it’s any kind of a hardship to distribute comments to the people who deserve them, even if received 4 to 14 days after a cruise ends. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

While I appreciate your rationalization, what percentage of Princess cruises are 2 or 3 days long?  Perhaps 1 to 2 percent. And since the entire survey process seems fully automated, I can’t imagine it’s any kind of a hardship to distribute comments to the people who deserve them, even if received 4 to 14 days after a cruise ends. 

Agree. We in Australia would generally struggle to get the survey done within three days as it can take at least 24 hours flying just to get home from any place in Europe. Doing a survey the day after you get home while getting over the return travel is not the highest priority. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I predict there will be a new feature on the app, with a fee of course, called SurveyNow for submitting the post cruise survey within 3 days so that individual crew members can be recognized for exemplary service. 

At the same time, the cost of Plus and Premier will increase and will include SurveyNow at no charge.

• Haha 6