Pretty sure MSC doesn't charge for "tap water", right?

Stockjock

We sail on World Europa in a few months, and I was surprised by this comment in a World Europa review...

"Nothing on board above the basics is included, not even tap water. Several times, our family was asked to pay for selecting the “water” button on the soda-dispensing machines. Once they gave my husband free ice cubes to which he added the free HOT water (for teas) because he needed water; not kidding! No soft-serve ice cream by the pool, no complimentary room service. You’ll ending pay more than you thought. Book the better cruise line!"

I've been on MSC a number of times and I can't imagine being asked to pay for selecting the water button.  Am I missing something?

Here's the review in question:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=699307

It's been mentioned that getting a glass of water at restaurants on Med sailings can be difficult,  that's why MSC usually includes bottled water at meals for most US and UK bookings.   I've always seen water and ice dispensers in the buffet and dont know about where soda machines are other than at bars so I tend to think the reviewer was either trying to get soda water or the bartender was not wanting to deal with a request for a glass of water. 

On the MSC ships I’ve been on the soda machines are for those with a drinks package, probably the non-alcoholic.  I never have a package so I never looked to see if they had water.  That’s in the buffet area, so there would be free water dispensed in the machines with iced tea and lemonade.  But I have on,y sailed them from US.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Hello,

MSC is, theoretically, an Italian cruise line giving you an 'Italian' experience.

In Italy you would NOT get tap water in a restaurant and would be expected to buy bottled water or go without.

Nothing to see here folks.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 6

8 hours ago, sealynx said:

I always fill my own bottle at the buffet (via a cup, since they don't want you to hold your own bottle under the machine for hygiene reasons), this has never been a problem and nothing was ever charged.

We always do the same , but it does wind me up when I see people stick their own water bottles under the water dispenser even with big notices to not do it . 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, peder said:

Wait a minute, they have soda machines? Where?

I would imagine they are on the wall with the beer and wine dispensing machines.  Pay, of course. Or at least that's what we had on Seaside, at the rear center of the buffet area.

If you’re from North America and booked via North America website not European site, then you get free “water package” still or sparkling with dinner. From what I read you can also get bottled water throughout ship. Water should be listed on your booking  under drink package “water package “. We have 2 MSc Europe and transatlantic cruises this year, both show included. . 

Edited by ldock
Correction
  • Like 2

On 9/26/2023 at 9:21 PM, Jeal said:

We have been on the Seaside twice this year and never noticed soda machines. Where exactly are they located? 

In the buffet, at the rear. Beer, wine and soda dispensers. 

I think the reviewer has managed to get themselves very confused. I agree, they were using the soda machine not the water machine within the free tea and coffee area. I've always seen water available for free. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 10:29 PM, ldock said:

If you’re from North America and booked via North America website not European site, then you get free “water package” still or sparkling with dinner. From what I read you can also get bottled water throughout ship. Water should be listed on your booking  under drink package “water package “. We have 2 MSc Europe and transatlantic cruises this year, both show included. . 

does that include if you booked with a travel agent or do you have to book directly with MSC to get free water in dining room? 

It includes bookings made with MSC in UK and US - both through a travel agent or direct.  As long as your travel agent is not based outside of UK it should be included.

You will see this code on your booking confirmation and e-tickets:  

image.png.9270ff406e4ea44b2abe8f3889b730a7.png

On 9/26/2023 at 12:57 PM, peder said:

When we were on the Seascape and Seashore I never once saw these. I'm totally baffled.

They were at the back of the ship in the buffet, very back wall. Soda, wine, and maybe beer. I remember because I got wine and orange crush soda there for lunch when we ate at the buffet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

I'm not clear about this...if you're sitting at your table in the main dining room for dinner, will they bring you a complimentary glass of tap water?   And refill as needed?

Yes, or alternately a pitcher of water you can refill from yourself.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bob brown said:

I'm not clear about this...if you're sitting at your table in the main dining room for dinner, will they bring you a complimentary glass of tap water?   And refill as needed?

We cruised with a group of eight, all booked from a UK travel agent. We had bottled water brought to us at meals, and were asked to show our cards to verify any drink we requested. Half of the group had the top package, and half had the much more basic (just bottled water with meals?) package. No one ever came to our table with a jug of tap water, and I never saw anyone visiting any nearby tables with tap water either.

We had unlimited bottled water (from Mt. Fuji!) in the dining room on our Bellissima cruise in Japan last month. Staff were always happy to provide an extra bottle on the way out. 

Our booking confirmation noted "INCL-600-MINERAL WATER AND COFFEE IN DINING ROOM".

We didn't have a beverage package. We booked directly with MSC through the Canadian website.

AS

7 hours ago, lisiamc said:

We cruised with a group of eight, all booked from a UK travel agent. We had bottled water brought to us at meals, and were asked to show our cards to verify any drink we requested. Half of the group had the top package, and half had the much more basic (just bottled water with meals?) package. No one ever came to our table with a jug of tap water, and I never saw anyone visiting any nearby tables with tap water either.

Maybe they offer tap water on request, but if you want bottled water, that is when they charge you?

I was on the Meraviglia in 2021.  I don't recall them charging for water (tap) at our dining room.