5 star Mariner question

Riversedge

We will be 5* on our next cruise.  I know that we get two specialty dinners and a day pass to the thermal suite.  But I’m not sure how this works.  Can we make dinner reservations in advance? Do we have to pay for them and then get obc once onboard?  How about the thermal suite or do I have to wait until I’m onboard to reserve?  Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

You go to the restaurant or to where they are making reservations onboard and make a reservation and then tell them you would like to use your five star benefit.  You cannot make reservations until onboard.  

For the spa, go to the desk on a port day and tell them you would like to use your five star benefit and they will give you a key.  

Alll is very easy to do.  

Edited by Gigi1977
Didn’t finish typing!
  • Like 4

Just to add to Gigi1977’s post.  

You can pre-book your 5* specialty dining if you want to pay.  Then you have to ask to be refunded as your 5* benefit and will receive OBC once it’s done.  Fair warning - it can be as smooth as silk or involve a lot of trips to Guest Services and the Pinnacle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

We will be 5* on our next cruise.  I know that we get two specialty dinners and a day pass to the thermal suite.  But I’m not sure how this works.  Can we make dinner reservations in advance? Do we have to pay for them and then get obc once onboard?  How about the thermal suite or do I have to wait until I’m onboard to reserve?  Thanks for the help!

Congratulations on 5*!  Don't know what ship you are on, but I suggest you go to the restaurant as soon as you board and make your reservation.  If you wait the Have It All people will book everything.  You can also use the TV in the room to book.  I booked right away on our Alaska Cruise this month, and was surprised a few days later to see no availability.

Thermal suite is easier to do as others have said.

18 minutes ago, kazu said:

Just to add to Gigi1977’s post.  

You can pre-book your 5* specialty dining if you want to pay.  Then you have to ask to be refunded as your 5* benefit and will receive OBC once it’s done.  Fair warning - it can be as smooth as silk or involve a lot of trips to Guest Services and the Pinnacle.

I totally agree with Kazu's post. If you want a particular day or time, then you best book and pay in advance. 
If you have to work at it to get your refund, so be it. 

Getting the spa pass is easier, but sometimes you can't get in if it is full with paying passengers. You will be told to try again later. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, VacationCharlene said:

Congratulations you guys!!  We are currently 4 star and don't know anything about the 5 star YET.....

We enjoyed cruising with you in the past and hope to meet up, once again, in the near future!!

Bill and Charlene 🙂

I’ve been hoping to get onboard one day and find you there!  Hopefully soon.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gigi1977 said:

For the spa, go to the desk on a port day and tell them you would like to use your five star benefit and they will give you a key.  

Alll is very easy to do.  

Do I gather from this that we can only use the spa pass on a port day?

16 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

Do I gather from this that we can only use the spa pass on a port day?

Yes.   It’s only valid on port days.  

Have you achieved 5 star or is it achieved on you next cruise?   You have to wait until after it is achieved to be able to use the status.   Just like free laundry for 4 star.  You get the perk the cruise after you achieve your ‘status’.  

29 minutes ago, Gigi1977 said:

Have you achieved 5 star or is it achieved on you next cruise?   You have to wait until after it is achieved to be able to use the status.   Just like free laundry for 4 star.  You get the perk the cruise after you achieve your ‘status’.  

We earned it on our last cruise.  This will be our first cruise with 5*

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gigi1977 said:

There is no 'port days only' restriction in the 5* Mariner list of benefits. However, the spa people do try to enforce that 'rule'. The one that doesn't exist. Sometimes they get away with it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

There is no 'port days only' restriction in the 5* Mariner list of benefits. However, the spa people do try to enforce that 'rule'. The one that doesn't exist. Sometimes they get away with it. 

Thank you!  Several  different spa managers have presented this as the RULE…. And I fell for it! 🤣. Not the next time….  

10 hours ago, RuthC said:

Ruth C knows the score. She gives great information to those of us needing some guidance navigating the specific details of cruising on HAL.

Thanks again Ruth, as I have said before , you are the best !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RuthC said:

That’s what I was told on the Rotterdam in July. Only on port days. Now I’m wiser. thanks Ruth!

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2023 at 11:58 AM, highscar said:

Need 103 points to 5 *.  Any donations?

Uhm, no - and not even "sorry, no" lol. Congrats on being so close. I have 200+days til 5* - it seems too far away to be achievable, but I will still keep all my points and keep trying 🙂

Just off the Noordam, and we stopped by the Pinnacle one day on a whim, asked if they had a table available for lunch, and could we “trade in” our 5 star dinner for a 5 star lunch?

Yes, they did, and yes, we could.  It was a lovely lunch, and there were plenty of open tables.

Barbara M. In NH

• Thanks 1

A bit of warning.  Very often the Specialty dining venues try to charge you the 50% off rate when you try to use the "free" 5 Star deal.  Even when you tell them when you make your reservation and verify when you are seated.  Has happened to me numerous times on various ships and dining venues.  Last week they told me that the HAL system has a problem with this.  Just be sire to check your online bill after your visit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1