Chops or Giovanni's?

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I did the chops lunch that I didnt mention in my review. No fillet. I got the hamburger. It was so thick I couldn't hardly get it into my mouth. A slice of tomato and lettuce on top. And cheese. I would rather a burger from carnivals guys burgers in all honesty.

I had it booked for lunch on a future cruise and cancelled after I ate lunch in chops. Ok but nothing special. 

Chops does a steak salad for lunch which i have pre-ordered to eat at night as it isn’t on the regular dinner menu. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigque said:

I never understand the reasoning that the filet is better at one of the other. They don’t order from different suppliers. They are using filets from the same boxes. Unless Giovanni’s is adding different seasonings the filets are the same. 

Could it be the method of cooking the filet?

On 10/4/2023 at 6:09 PM, Jimbo said:

Yes, Got the Chops for the pre-booked lower price day and time we wanted from months before the cruise.  Recieved a $0 bill at the table, NO adjusted higher bill at the table..............with the $0 bill we recieved we added onto that  anadditional tip for outstanding service.

OK, thanks for explanation.  I thought you had reserved in advance because you wanted a certain time, I didn’t realize you were trying to get a discounted rate AND use your BOGO.  I guess you win some, loose some and you shouldn’t feel too bad about Giovanni. 

Was it just your wife’s charge that was comped, or did they refund your pre-purchase as well? We haven’t been able to cruise this year but last year we found they went out of their way to compensate to an almost overwhelming and embarrassing extent but now ships are full I don’t suppose there is any need for that. I assume they brought a charge for one on board meal and were going to refund the online payment, which is quite common. Maybe there was a disconnect in the explanation?

We tried to pre-purchase for one and then use a BOGO once years ago. We went in advance to confirm two of us could dine  and were told yes but we would be charged onboard price and sale price would be refunded. We canceled the reservation since we are not that impressed with specialty dining any way but  I know others have reported doing it all the time.  It would be nice if there was some consistency but I don’t suppose that will ever happen. 

I came to the realization that it was double-dipping, and not really the intention of the promotion, so never tried again.

On 10/4/2023 at 12:11 AM, Tree_skier said:

I was a Chops fan but the last few cruises I have enjoyed Giovanni’s more. If you are only choosing one go with Giovanni’s. 

My husband and I just had this conversation about an hour ago.  We said the same exact thing.  Giovanni’s has been more enjoyable so we are definitely going with Giovanni’s for now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

OK, thanks for explanation.  I thought you had reserved in advance because you wanted a certain time, I didn’t realize you were trying to get a discounted rate AND use your BOGO.  I guess you win some, loose some and you shouldn’t feel too bad about Giovanni. 

Was it just your wife’s charge that was comped, or did they refund your pre-purchase as well? We haven’t been able to cruise this year but last year we found they went out of their way to compensate to an almost overwhelming and embarrassing extent but now ships are full I don’t suppose there is any need for that. I assume they brought a charge for one on board meal and were going to refund the online payment, which is quite common. Maybe there was a disconnect in the explanation?

We tried to pre-purchase for one and then use a BOGO once years ago. We went in advance to confirm two of us could dine  and were told yes but we would be charged onboard price and sale price would be refunded. We canceled the reservation since we are not that impressed with specialty dining any way but  I know others have reported doing it all the time.  It would be nice if there was some consistency but I don’t suppose that will ever happen. 

I came to the realization that it was double-dipping, and not really the intention of the promotion, so never tried again.

We did reserve for the day and time we wanted. We reserved ahead at the reduced rate for 1 person,then using our BOGO free..

So since the Manager at Gio's didn't know how to come back to the table with a zero bill he eventually just comped the whole meal without giving us any bill.

But the way we looked at it I had all ready prepaid for one meal,so nothing was comped.

We didn't get any refund at all,didn't think any refund was needed but we sure as heck never went back there to eat again on any of the last 13 nights of the cruise.

Just wasn't interested  with them again having issues as to how to produce a correct bill.

I have no idea when you mention double dipping as to what you are talking about.

We paid for 1 meal for 1 person and expected 1 meal for second person free just like the BOGO FREE coupon is meant for.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I have no idea when you mention double dipping as to what you are talking about.

Pretty sure that poster means the BOGO is intended to be used onboard at the onboard price. So when you book pre-cruise, you get a discounted price, and then you want the BOGO on top of that.

They can correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Pretty sure that poster means the BOGO is intended to be used onboard at the onboard price. So when you book pre-cruise, you get a discounted price, and then you want the BOGO on top of that.

They can correct me if I'm wrong.

The meal is hardly worth the discounted price let along the onboard price. Royals prices for Chops now are out of control.

I can get 2 bone in rib eyes at our local Texas Roadhouse here in Virginia for the price of one on the cruise ship. that taste just as good as the ones on the cruise ship.

Texas Road house are 20 Oz too compared to Royals 16 oz.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

The meal is hardly worth the discounted price let along the onboard price. Royals prices for Chops now are out of control.

I can get 2 bone in rib eyes at our local Texas Roadhouse here in Virginia for the price of one on the cruise ship. that taste just as good as the ones on the cruise ship.

Texas Road house are 20 Oz too compared to Royals 16 oz.

I agree with you on this point which is why we rarely do specialty dining, but now you are just going off on a tangent! We have been to Chops more since cruising resumed by default due to the MTD fiasco. 

I am not sure what your problem is other than you seem to have encountered a slight altercation possibly due to lack of communication initially between you and the server, or a lack of understanding. 

Your report at the time and subsequent posts have been very confusing so it has been difficult to follow what actually transpired, and when.

BUT, It sounds like you got the two meals for the price of your discounted online price in the end, which was what you wanted.

Probably time to move on until you decide if you want to chance your hand next time. You may or may not be lucky. It isn’t how it is supposed to work so - be thankful when it does, be aware that you are “trying it on”, and yes, I am aware of those that “do it that way all the time”.

18 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I am not sure what your problem is other than you seem to have encountered a slight altercation possibly due to lack of communication initially between you and the server, or a lack 

BUT, It sounds like you got the two meals for the price of your discounted online price in the end, which was what you wanted.

Probably time to move on until you decide if you want to chance your hand next time. You may or may not be lucky. It isn’t how it is supposed to work so - be thankful when it does, be aware that you are “trying it on”, and yes, I am aware of those that “do it that way all the time”.

Done it the same way for years and worked everytime,just like others have been doing now.

Not sure why you keep mentioning server,the servers don't write up the bills that go to each table,the manager does all billings.

Yes in the end we got 2 meals for the price of one....but it was like pulling teeth.

Shouldn't have been that difficult,after all he knew we prepaid for 1 meal and was using our BOGO for our dinner.

• Thanks 1

I've been reading all of the comments, and definitely appreciate all of you registering your thoughts and preferences!  We're booked on Serenade for the Westbound Panama Canal (Miami-Los Angeles) and this time I booked the 3-night dining package for both of us.  This will be our first cruise as D+, so I'm new to the BOGO deal, but will be researching it.  Under the 3-Night package, I booked dinner for the second day, but recognize that we won't find out where it is until we board.  I personally love Izumi, and we've never eaten at Chops or Giovanni's Table, so I'm inclined to accept the reservation if it's for Izumi or Giovanni's Table, or change it if it's for Chops.  Then, we can figure out where to use our other two "nights" from the dining package, and where to use the BOGO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IRMO12HD said:

I've been reading all of the comments, and definitely appreciate all of you registering your thoughts and preferences!  We're booked on Serenade for the Westbound Panama Canal (Miami-Los Angeles) and this time I booked the 3-night dining package for both of us.  This will be our first cruise as D+, so I'm new to the BOGO deal, but will be researching it.  Under the 3-Night package, I booked dinner for the second day, but recognize that we won't find out where it is until we board.  I personally love Izumi, and we've never eaten at Chops or Giovanni's Table, so I'm inclined to accept the reservation if it's for Izumi or Giovanni's Table, or change it if it's for Chops.  Then, we can figure out where to use our other two "nights" from the dining package, and where to use the BOGO.

My experience with the 3 night package is the courtesy reservation isn't a real reservation it is just a placeholder.  When you board go straight to a specialty restaurant and get it sorted.  Also, you may want to confirm your bogo at that time since reports indicate some ships are holding the line on using it day 1 and 2.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

My experience with the 3 night package is the courtesy reservation isn't a real reservation it is just a placeholder.  When you board go straight to a specialty restaurant and get it sorted.  Also, you may want to confirm your bogo at that time since reports indicate some ships are holding the line on using it day 1 and 2.  

Thanks for the advice -- I will definitely check as soon as we board.  

Giovanni’s every single time.  On ships where those are the two choices, and we have UDP…. We eat at Giovanni’s 3-2 to one.  Menu is more varied for those not wanting a steak.  The steaks are more similar than different.  The other options have way more at Giovanni’s.  I like them both.  

If it is just one time, they are both great.  Chops is a bit more the signature restaurant, feel like they would like to have Giovanni’s go away for all of the reasons that I prefer G’s.  

JC

• Like 2

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I agree with you on this point which is why we rarely do specialty dining, but now you are just going off on a tangent! We have been to Chops more since cruising resumed by default due to the MTD fiasco. 

I am not sure what your problem is other than you seem to have encountered a slight altercation possibly due to lack of communication initially between you and the server, or a lack of understanding. 

Your report at the time and subsequent posts have been very confusing so it has been difficult to follow what actually transpired, and when.

Just being Jimbo… 

Hi Jimbo!😆

• Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 1:48 PM, orville99 said:

If I were to rank their Italian Specialty restaurants based on quality, taste, variety, and atmosphere, Portofino would be top, Giovanni’s Table would be a close second, then Jamies (probably a tie depending on the chef and how one defines Italian}, and Giovanni’s Kitchen at the bottom. IMO, that one is more of a glorified pizza joint than a fine dining Italian restaurant. YMMV

I miss Portofino, are there any ships with that as still an option?  I guess I have never heard or attended Giovanni’s kitchen, where was that which ships?  

Portofino was the best.  Giovanni’s (table) close second.  Jamie’s Italian a distant third.  We had UDP on the Anthem TA this April, and we ate a lot of lunches at Jamies.  I like Jamies, we bonded with the small staff like you can’t at our other restaurant go to, Chops.  So, from an enjoy the service, Jamie’s.  From an enjoy the food view, Chops.  This is only on the Anthem Q class.

JMHO and YMMV

jc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

Then, we can figure out where to use our other two "nights" from the dining package, and where to use the BOGO.

Be aware that bogo might only be able to be used night 1 and night 2 as it is written and intended. Though yes I see some managed ex options.

I actually prebooked izumi night 2 and wanted to use bogo and he moved it to another night and said I'd be charged for izumi full price come on in night 1. I'm solo so it had to be 2 nights in a row. A couple can share it, as a solo its 2 nights. Allure said ONLY night 1 and 2.

I said but I dont want izumi that I I prebooked right again again and took a lot of back and forth but he finally cancelled it and refunded my cheaper prebooked. 

I was on the following week and knew so I just cancelled my prebooked night 2 myself. They werent having that as a bogo, no way, no how. Might have worked with jimbo but even has said not without pushing it.

I have 3 weeks on harmony coming up and something prebooked each week. Not sure if anyone has recent experience on harmony? I'm considering just cancelling what's prebooked and letting them just charge full price onboard. Not going to even try jimbos way. At least cancel week 1 and see before I cancel week 2 and 3 prebooked. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I guess I have never heard or attended Giovanni’s kitchen, where was that which ships?  

It was on Wonder - not sure which other ships it is going in to.

I think all of the Portofino's are gone now - the last one we saw was on a Radiance class ship

On 10/4/2023 at 8:55 PM, c-leg5 said:

Chops does a steak salad for lunch which i have pre-ordered to eat at night as it isn’t on the regular dinner menu. 

I ordered that on Liberty in May, expecting a large salad with steak on top.  Below is what I got.  A little salad with a steak. When I questioned the waiter he told me that was a steak salad. LOL

We had UDP on that trip and loved Giovanni's, it is now our preferred specialty restaurant. I tried the branzino for the first time and loved it. Didn't hurt that our server at Gios was phenomenal.

I do miss Portofino too.  And you can keep Giovanni's Kitchen, not worth the price IMO.

PXL_20230523_173257987.jpg

39 minutes ago, VernRDH said:

I ordered that on Liberty in May, expecting a large salad with steak on top.  Below is what I got.  A little salad with a steak. When I questioned the waiter he told me that was a steak salad. LOL

We had UDP on that trip and loved Giovanni's, it is now our preferred specialty restaurant. I tried the branzino for the first time and loved it. Didn't hurt that our server at Gios was phenomenal.

I do miss Portofino too.  And you can keep Giovanni's Kitchen, not worth the price IMO.

PXL_20230523_173257987.jpg

Was that for lunch?

That is nothing like the salad advertised, or what I got - it should be spinach with blue cheese? I didn’t get fries but I wouldn’t have ordered them so not sure if they are usually included or not. 

Mine was a special request. I have never been for lunch so I don’t know if they upgraded the size of mine or not but it was certainly big enough for me. Other times I have ordered a regular dinner salad (usually wedge) as my side to the main entree (shrimp or filet) served at the same time to make an  entree salad. The filet was good but the shrimp portion is very small and I wouldn’t do that again.

Edited by c-leg5

we found the medium rare 9oz. filet on the serenade to be the best steak that we have been blessed to eat onboard a ship in our 35 years of cruising.. We also loved the goat cheese salad..I stopped after dinner and thanked the young lady that does the steaks and she was pleased...We dont eat much italian food on ships as we prepare our own at home...As far as the sushi we use that for bait to catch fish that can consumed after cooking..life is good

• Like 2

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Was that for lunch?

That is nothing like the salad advertised, or what I got - it should be spinach with blue cheese? I didn’t get fries but I wouldn’t have ordered them so not sure if they are usually included or not. 

Mine was a special request. I have never been for lunch so I don’t know if they upgraded the size of mine or not but it was certainly big enough for me. Other times I have ordered a regular dinner salad (usually wedge) as my side to the main entree (shrimp or filet) served at the same time to make an  entree salad. The filet was good but the shrimp portion is very small and I wouldn’t do that again.

Yes it was for lunch on embarkation day. I had not had it before, but had seen it. And yes the fries just came with it, I didn't ask for them.

11 minutes ago, VernRDH said:

Yes it was for lunch on embarkation day. I had not had it before, but had seen it. And yes the fries just came with it, I didn't ask for them.

Maybe it is different on embarkation day or maybe your ship didn’t have spinach, who know’s!

Chops.  I have had the bacon app have no meat, so I sent it back and they did another one with meat.

My steak has always been cooked properly, however, you cannot under cook a steak for me.

One meal in Giovannis, we had some issues with the food and told the waiter. They chef came out to ta talk to us.  The grilled shrimp had no grill marks.  He explained that is how RCI told him to cook them.  He offered to fix this.  I had the cabonara, and they premade the carbonara sauce.  SO WRONG.  Carbonars is not Alfredo, it is cooked by the heat of the pasta and some residual heat in the pan.

I do prefer the dessert cart in Giovanni's.

Overall I find Giovanni's more hit and miss than Chop's. 

• Like 1