Is this the Future of all Observation Lounges?

BirdTravels

So, you obviously just did some cut and paste and have no basis to stir up stuff.  Why suggest that NCL is about to screw up the two best ships in the fleet?

We already know that they're messing up the Joy by returning the OL area to an earlier configuration.  Why do you think that they're going to do this to Encore and Bliss?

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

There is LOTS of discussion on the Joy's changes in other threads.  The Joy is the easiest to do this with as the infrastructure to support the cabins (plumbing and electrical) is likely there already as there used to be cabins in those locations.  Bliss and Encore never had cabins there, it might not be worth the cost to add cabins there on those ships.

• Like 3

C'mon Bird. You know this was simply an opportunistic move by NCL on the Joy. They simply returned the ship to its original configuration when it was built for the SE Asia market -- probably because all the infrastructure was still there, and it was a relatively simple exercise.

There is no way this will happen to Encore and Bliss.

You know better.

Edited by IAcruising
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

C'mon Bird. You know this was simply an opportunistic move by NCL on the Joy. They simply returned the ship to its original configuration when it was built for the SE Asia market -- probably because all the infrastructure was still there, and it was a relatively simple exercise.

There is no way this will happen to Encore and Bliss.

You know better.

Never say never. I wouldn't think they would do this to the Bliss and Encore but when the bean counters get pushing their beans around you never know.  And I know it's a different class of ship, but they had no problem removing the observation lounges on the Dawn and Star to put in more rooms and they had no existing infrastructure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

Never say never. I wouldn't think they would do this to the Bliss and Encore but when the bean counters get pushing their beans around you never know.  And I know it's a different class of ship, but they had no problem removing the observation lounges on the Dawn and Star to put in more rooms and they had no existing infrastructure.

Let's hope they learned their lesson.

• Like 1

i'm in the camp that the observation lounges do actually add revenue because they increase guest enjoyment and satisfaction. and that is a leading indicator of the likelihood to book another cruise.

you remove broadway-style shows, you take certain drinks out of the baseline drink package, you build ships with small observation lounges or you eliminate 45% of the existing seating in existing lounges, you reduce housekeeping services... pretty soon, you've drastically altered the cost/value perception.

i'm sailing on a B2B on the joy later this month and one of the things i enjoy most is that OL. with it  gone, the ship becomes far less appealing to me.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, UKstages said:

you remove broadway-style shows, you take certain drinks out of the baseline drink package, you build ships with small observation lounges or you eliminate 45% of the existing seating in existing lounges, you reduce housekeeping services... pretty soon, you've drastically altered the cost/value perception.

They've done most of this already and I must admit I am holding off from booking another NCL cruise (after the one I have in November) until I check out RCCL cost cutting measures in February. 

The value for money has reduced drastically since i started cruising 8 years ago and whilst I appreciate that the cruise lines have covid debt to pay off they still have to provide an attractive service to maintain high booking levels.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

They've done most of this already and I must admit I am holding off from booking another NCL cruise (after the one I have in November) until I check out RCCL cost cutting measures in February. 

I'm in a similar situation.  Most of my recent cruises were NCL, but all the cuts drove me to check out RCCL this summer (far superior entertainment) and I am trying desperately to get next summer's cruise on a different line.   We love Encore and Bliss for Alaska in large part because of the OL.  Take that away and when next we book Alaska there will be zero incentive to book NCL.  

All that being said, the ships are still going out full, so, all these cuts aren't yet affecting revenue.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

All that being said, the ships are still going out full, so, all these cuts aren't yet affecting revenue.

Did b2b Sky in September, 10 day cheap cruises which sailed at 75% and 65%.  Not one of the big ships, but I doubt Wheel of Fortune is gonna change anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Observation Lounge = No Revenue

Rooms = Revenue 

So why not also eliminate the showroom, comedy clubs, pool deck, etc?  Do you really think that a ship with an Observation Lounge does not contribute to revenue?  I only book NCL ships with OLs.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Are you also going to eliminate the Haven lounges based upon the same "logic?"🤣

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

55 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You do realize she just made those up.  Right?

Yes.  But, Bird sometimes seems to have some insight that others don't.  What was drawn certainly is plausible. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this is being contemplated somewhere within NCL.

16 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Otherwise, knowing which balcony stateroom is mine (port or starboard) would be confusing. 😵‍💫

No - you don't understand.  You get both rooms so you can be assured of being on the best side of the ship for scenic viewing.