Live From The Sapphire Princess October 15, 2023 R/T to Hawaii

Woobstr112G

52 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

Bob, thanks for taking all of us along with you on your journey.

We were suppose to cruise to Hawaii in July and had to cancel due to my hubby's illness.

Second time we cancelled. First time was I had Covid.

Nice seeing so many familiar names posting on your journey.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, stay well. See you hopefully on the Sun Princess next year.

Gloria (and Lew)

Hello Gloria. Holli & I will continue to keep Lew in our thoughts and hope he gets better each day. We also hope to see you two, if Holli's health issues don't get in the way, on the Sun next September.....

Bob

• Like 1

15 hours ago, abbydancer said:

More like a revenue producing measure.  I think it's also a way for them to make the packages more appealing, since they include Alfredo's in those.

When we were on the Discovery and Alfredo’s /Gigis was still free you could not even get a seat within hours wait on a sea day between 11 and 2. Also it was tons of families ordering many different pizzas and leaving half uneaten 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 7:45 AM, Woobstr112G said:

Good morning from the Sapphire Princess. It is 0551 ship's time as I begin to type this. Today begins our second of five full sea days (11th day of the voyage) as we sail (motor) towards our last port stop of  Ensenada. I'm feeling much better this morning than yesterday. All I have left is a little residual stuff in my chest and sinus. Mucinex, Sudafed, Advil, and a nasal spray have been my very good friends over the past several days.

Last night was our second of three formal nights. Holli and I are traditionalists so we loved getting all dressed up for the evening. For dinner we dined at Sabatinis which is by far our favorite specialty restaurant on Princess. Service was fantastic. Our server Edwin (Philippines) is arguably one of the best waiters we've ever had in all of our 24 cruises. For our selections, Holli choose her favorite Spaghetti. I decided to try something new and choose the Scaloppine di Vitello al Marsala. My subjective thoughts on this dish are it's not very good. The meat was cut thin, but was quite tough. The marsala sauce was overly salty for my liking. For desert, Holli had mixed berries with whipped cream. I just had coffee. After we finished dinner, We returned to our cabin and just relaxed for the remainder of the evening. 

Today we don't really have much planned. Holli got a good nights rest so we'll definitely be headed to Sabatinis for our suite breakfast perk around 0930. For those interested the Suite breakfast is open from 0730-1030 on sea days. For port days, the hours are 0730-0930. Other than that, I have some laundry to do and have some photos that I need to touch up so I may get to that sometime today. As far as the laundry situation goes, I'm not sure if it's due to my elite status or my suite status, but my cabin steward gave me free tokens to use in the self service laundromat. If memory serves me correctly, the total cost for one load is $7.50 (wash/dry & detergent). Lastly, I know some might consider this a little early but I'm starting to think about dragging my suitcases out to begin the unavoidable task of packing. I will probably start that tomorrow. One more thing about today is we will lose another hour tonight (1 more to go) as we continue to sail east.

Tonight for dinner we ill probably dine at Sterlings Steakhouse. We haven't tried it yet on this cruise so we are both looking forward to it.

Today's entertainment options are as follows. The movie Hocus Pocus will be screened on MUTS at 1000. There will be a presentation "Menendez Brothers: Killers or Victim?" in the Princess Theater at 1030. The movie Call of the Wild (2020) will be screened in the Explorers Lounge at 1100. A pool party with Gravity will take place at the Neptune's Reef and Pool at 1330. The movie Beetlejuice will screen on MUTS at 1500. Diamond Strings Duo will perform in the Piazza at 1600, 1745, 1845, and 1930.  A 2014 Queen with Adam Lambert concert will screen on Muts at 1700. Janusz Bator will be in the Wheelhouse Bar at 1815. The movie Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny will screen on Muts at 1900. Tonight in the Princess Theater Vocalist Marco Romano will perform at 1930 and 2130. Vocalist Andy Morris will perform the music of Elton John & Billy Joel in the Piazza at 2015. Vocal Impressionist Mike Wilson will do two shows in the Explorers Lounge at 2030 & 1030. Moondance Duo will do a late show in the Wheelhouse bar at 2230. Lastly I didn't notice anything listed on the Patters for evening entertainment in Crooners. 

Well, that's all for now. Hope all are well.....

Bob

Bob, Hope you don’t mind, I’d like to add to this?

Last night at the Captain’s party:

938 blue, gold 541, ruby 247, platinum 489, Elites  365 Total OB: 2580

The most travelled… 1927 days

Also, Captain McBain shared:

In Kauai, as you mentioned previously, we had to leave the dock before sunset, because of a law in Kauai.   We were waiting for the last 8 guests, whom had been delayed behind a traffic accident and had to move out of the dock area and send our life boat to tender them back on the ship.

Anyway, the Coast Guard contacted our Captain and wanted to know if we were in trouble or aground?  The Captain said, No, why?  The CG said many islanders have called and reported a large cruise ship sitting in the waters off shore.

Captain explained why to the CG and they said they’ve never seen a ship do that in Kauai before.

Just thought it was interesting.  

We were a first!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Bob, Hope you don’t mind, I’d like to add to this?

Last night at the Captain’s party:

938 blue, gold 541, ruby 247, platinum 489, Elites  365 Total OB: 2580

The most travelled… 1927 days

Also, Captain McBain shared:

In Kauai, as you mentioned previously, we had to leave the dock before sunset, because of a law in Kauai.   We were waiting for the last 8 guests, whom had been delayed behind a traffic accident and had to move out of the dock area and send our life boat to tender them back on the ship.

Anyway, the Coast Guard contacted our Captain and wanted to know if we were in trouble or aground?  The Captain said, No, why?  The CG said many islanders have called and reported a large cruise ship sitting in the waters off shore.

Captain explained why to the CG and they said they’ve never seen a ship do that in Kauai before.

Just thought it was interesting.  

We were a first!

That’s a first for me to hear.  Thanks, I’m not on this voyage.  Were the passengers on a Princess excursion?   Was this your last port?

Hilo and Nawiliwili are day time ports as set be the Harbor Division.  Very small ports.  Love to watch the intriguing S shape maneuver to position the ship for a fast get away in Kauai.  

12 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That’s a first for me to hear.  Thanks, I’m not on this voyage.  Were the passengers on a Princess excursion?   Was this your last port?

Hilo and Nawiliwili are day time ports as set be the Harbor Division.  Very small ports.  Love to watch the intriguing S shape maneuver to position the ship for a fast get away in Kauai.  

There was a PCL excursion bus and private tours, total of 88 or so passengers who were behind a traffic collision on the road leading into the port.

So, Captain wanted to wait for them all.  The 8 guests who were last to arrive at the port, were nervous about being without medication, flying, hotels, etc..if we didn’t wait for them.  

Everything worked out by the Captain and the crew.

Our last port was Kona. (After Nawiliwili). 

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

IMG_2086.thumb.jpeg.a3d66b065d7e94c8ad7c0d5a68a7ad20.jpeg

We’re finally pulling the trigger…..

Bob

We saw these on our cruise in early September but did not partake.  They just do not look appealing.  Look more like something my young grandkids would make.  Hopefully you and Holli enjoyed yours.

On 10/25/2023 at 4:06 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

A Reyn’s Schooner’s Hawaiian shirt is a “nice” shirt.  There are several other brands, but I can’t spell some of them (and no way to Google them easily at the time of this posting).  

Tommy Bahama also has some very “nice” shirts

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, TN Shipmates said:

We will be on the cruise after you guys along with @PacnGoNow. Question about Sabatini's breakfast. Is it for only "Full" suites, or can we as lowly (ha) mini suites also attend this?

Sabatini's breakfast is for full suites only. Mini-suites is a poorly chosen name and causes this confusion all the time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, waltd said:

Wouldn't mind trying this just once.   🤗

ya what the he!!, your on vacation and ya only live once. When it's time to go, go with no regrets. 

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Good morning from the beautiful Sapphire Princess. It is 0535 ship's time as I begin to type this. Today is day 13 of our voyage and the last of five full sea days as we continue to sail towards our last port stop of Ensenada. Tonight, we will suffer through😩 our last time change where we lose an hour. This will bring us back to PST the same as when we began this wonderful voyage.

Last night for dinner, we once again dined in our favorite shipboard restaurant Sabatinis. Holli once again had her favorite spaghetti while I returned to my favorite Osso Buco.  Our food and the service were beyond good. I must reiterate that the service we've experienced this voyage in Sabatinis is some of the best we've encountered in our 24 cruises. After we finished our meal, we just returned to our cabin for the remainder of the evening. Years ago, we would have headed to a lounge to listen to some music but alas, father time has made us somewhat predictable in the present day. 

Yesterday after lunch in the Horizon court, Holli & I tried one of the much ballyhooed Premium Deserts on the ship. I must say it was quite overwhelming. While it was very tasty, this was most likely a one and done experience for us. I know many people like them, but it's simply too much for our present day desert likings. 

Today we will once again enjoy breakfast in Sabatinis. After breakfast we will continue to do some packing. Yesterday I pulled our suitcases and began the task. We got a good deal accomplished and will continue to do so today. Other than packing, I will start sorting out our extra tip envelopes. Holli has a hair appointment later today in preparation for our last of three formal nights tonight. It will be nice to get all dressed up for the evening one last time on this voyage. 

Today's entertainment offerings are as follows. The movie Munsters will be screened on MUTS at 1000. The movie Death on the Nile (2022) will screen in the Princess Theater at 1130. Acoustic Guitar and Vocals with Vangelis Tzatsos will be in the Pizza at 1315. The afternoon movie screened on MUTS will be Paint (2023) at 1500. An Adele concert Live In London on MUTS at 1730. Diamond Strings Duo will perform in the Piazza at 1745. The movie Transformers Rise of the Beast will screen on MUTS at 1900 and 2130. Vangelis Tzatsos will be in the Wheelhouse bar at 1915. The production show Let Me Entertain You will be in the Princess Theater at 1930 & 2130. Gravity will perform in the Piazza at 2015 and 2200. Comedian Michael Minor will be in the Explorers Lounge at 2030 & 2230. Andy Morris will be in Crooners at 2100 & 2300. DJ Kalpesh will be in Skywalkers from 2200 onwards. Moondance Duo will do a late set in the Wheelhouse bar at 2215.

Well, that's about all for now. I know the cruise is almost over, but if anyone still has any questions, Fire away and I will try and find you an answer. 

Hope all are well.....

Bob

• Like 7

13 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Sabatini's breakfast is for full suites only. Mini-suites is a poorly chosen name and causes this confusion all the time.

I don’t know how much confusion there is about this. Sabatini’s breakfast has always been for just full suites and names of cabin categories has not changed for years. Just like hotels that advertise suites and junior suites no one seems to get those confused

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Good morning from the beautiful Sapphire Princess. It is 0535 ship's time as I begin to type this. Today is day 13 of our voyage and the last of five full sea days as we continue to sail towards our last port stop of Ensenada. Tonight, we will suffer through😩 our last time change where we lose an hour. This will bring us back to PST the same as when we began this wonderful voyage.

Last night for dinner, we once again dined in our favorite shipboard restaurant Sabatinis. Holli once again had her favorite spaghetti while I returned to my favorite Osso Buco.  Our food and the service were beyond good. I must reiterate that the service we've experienced this voyage in Sabatinis is some of the best we've encountered in our 24 cruises. After we finished our meal, we just returned to our cabin for the remainder of the evening. Years ago, we would have headed to a lounge to listen to some music but alas, father time has made us somewhat predictable in the present day. 

Yesterday after lunch in the Horizon court, Holli & I tried one of the much ballyhooed Premium Deserts on the ship. I must say it was quite overwhelming. While it was very tasty, this was most likely a one and done experience for us. I know many people like them, but it's simply too much for our present day desert likings. 

Today we will once again enjoy breakfast in Sabatinis. After breakfast we will continue to do some packing. Yesterday I pulled our suitcases and began the task. We got a good deal accomplished and will continue to do so today. Other than packing, I will start sorting out our extra tip envelopes. Holli has a hair appointment later today in preparation for our last of three formal nights tonight. It will be nice to get all dressed up for the evening one last time on this voyage. 

Today's entertainment offerings are as follows. The movie Munsters will be screened on MUTS at 1000. The movie Death on the Nile (2022) will screen in the Princess Theater at 1130. Acoustic Guitar and Vocals with Vangelis Tzatsos will be in the Pizza at 1315. The afternoon movie screened on MUTS will be Paint (2023) at 1500. An Adele concert Live In London on MUTS at 1730. Diamond Strings Duo will perform in the Piazza at 1745. The movie Transformers Rise of the Beast will screen on MUTS at 1900 and 2130. Vangelis Tzatsos will be in the Wheelhouse bar at 1915. The production show Let Me Entertain You will be in the Princess Theater at 1930 & 2130. Gravity will perform in the Piazza at 2015 and 2200. Comedian Michael Minor will be in the Explorers Lounge at 2030 & 2230. Andy Morris will be in Crooners at 2100 & 2300. DJ Kalpesh will be in Skywalkers from 2200 onwards. Moondance Duo will do a late set in the Wheelhouse bar at 2215.

Well, that's about all for now. I know the cruise is almost over, but if anyone still has any questions, Fire away and I will try and find you an answer. 

Hope all are well.....

Bob

Today is not our last sea day. We have one tomorrow as well and arrive Ensenada on Sunday 

• Thanks 1