🐾 🐾  Sea Dog gets Wet, a "Soggy Adventure LIVE" 10-21-23

Sea Dog

1 hour ago, #1packerfan said:

Before covid it was so much better, they had one floor of the dining room strictly for MTD so you never had to go through everything you have to now. I still prefer my time but I really wish they would go back to the old way of doing it to alleviate all the lines.

I still don't understand why they can't go back to the old pre-Covid way. It worked so much better.

On our last cruise (Allure), on formal night we waited in line for an hour, only to finally get to the host stand and be told that the dining room area for MTD was completely full and they wouldn't be seating anyone else for the next hour. The host then told everyone still in line that we should all just leave and go to WJ. That was a new one. We protested (nicely) and somehow they found a table for us. But it shouldn't come to "special treatment" or feeling like they are doing you a favor just to get a seat.

Edited by TravelGirlinDallas
  • Like 23

19 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I still don't understand why they can't go back to the old pre-Covid way. It worked so much better.

On our last cruise (Allure), on formal night we waited in line for an hour, only to finally get to the host stand and be told that the dining room area for MTD was completely full and they wouldn't be seating anyone else for the next hour. The host then told everyone still in line that we should all just leave and go to WJ. That was a new one. We protested (nicely) and somehow they found a table for us. But it shouldn't come to "special treatment" or feeling like they are doing you a favor just to get a seat.

Not to sidetrack Greg's review but I do think the issue is most on MTD want to eat around that 6:30 to 7:30 range.  That leaves a dining room mostly empty early and overly crowded later on as those in line eventually get seated.  To get better use of the dining room they added traditional early before MTD.  Does that make it ok, absolutely not.  There has to be a way to make it better whether that be all need a reservation, which I think happened more with MTD in the beginning, or putting a time limit when those without reservations can come in, or something.  It just isn't working the way it is for the customer, maybe better for Royal other than all the complaints.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Not to sidetrack Greg's review but I do think the issue is most on MTD want to eat around that 6:30 to 7:30 range.  That leaves a dining room mostly empty early and overly crowded later on as those in line eventually get seated.  To get better use of the dining room they added traditional early before MTD.  Does that make it ok, absolutely not.  There has to be a way to make it better whether that be all need a reservation, which I think happened more with MTD in the beginning, or putting a time limit when those without reservations can come in, or something.  It just isn't working the way it is for the customer, maybe better for Royal other than all the complaints.

Idk how you decided when most want to eat. I'd like to have time to go to the diamond lounge before I go to dinner. Either open diamond lounge earlier or let me eat 530 ish .. I absolutely dont want to eat after 630. They did that to me and I missed the show and was very mad. I said I'm in a hurry and waiter moved in slow motion. If carnival can do anytime dining well you would think rcl could too. 

Sea dog wife went to customer service and got it fixed night 2 .. special because she complained. Shouldnt take Linda going to that length. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Idk how you decided when most want to eat. I'd like to have time to go to the diamond lounge before I go to dinner. Either open diamond lounge earlier or let me eat 530 ish .. I absolutely dont want to eat after 630. They did that to me and I missed the show and was very mad. I said I'm in a hurry and waiter moved in slow motion. If carnival can do anytime dining well you would think rcl could too. 

Sea dog wife went to customer service and got it fixed night 2 .. special because she complained. Shouldnt take Linda going to that length. 

Its been fairly widely stated that most, not all, go with MTD because early is too early and late is too late.  That puts the sweet spot for reservations between 6:30 and 7:30, right in-between the 2 fixed seating times.

• Like 11

What has been happening lately , if you have mobility issues, they tend to attempt to place you at a table that has easy access, which they have been doing for me with my rollator.  Seadog  doesn't use one, so they did not know.

If i had opted for traditional dining, heaven only knows where in the maze I would get seated. Only recently have they started seating us in a more access able location.    

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Its been fairly widely stated that most, not all, go with MTD because early is too early and late is too late.  That puts the sweet spot for reservations between 6:30 and 7:30, right in-between the 2 fixed seating times.

Or that is the time when seats mostly come open. Between early and late so cheap o rcl decided to squeeze them in between the 2 set times. I know early is much more popular than late so obviously more want earlier than later .. from my experience.  Wanting time to go to the diamond lounge which used to open earlier and they moved imo on purpose to save money and fewer can go snack. 

Why would early be so much more popular by far than late if your guess wasnt just a guess. Show me a poll, facts, not guesses. 

I'll quit, post whatever you want, though dont just assume facts. Anytime on rcl stinks. Lots want 530 or 6 pm I assure you they work in. Dont want to argue guesses on sea dogs thread here. 

6 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

(Subtly shifting away from MTD discussions)...Greg - What's your favorite drink so far?  I'll ask the same question at the end of your cruise after you've tasted the entire drink menu.  Did you bring a drink checklist, a la John?

No I did not bring the checklist. I’ve been working my way through the Schooner Bar new cocktail menu. So far the Toasted Marshmallow Old Fashioned is my favorite followed by Southern Belle. I need to step it up I’m behind. Thanks for shifting. I did not mean to stir things up.

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

(Subtly shifting away from MTD discussions)...Greg - What's your favorite drink so far?  I'll ask the same question at the end of your cruise after you've tasted the entire drink menu.  Did you bring a drink checklist, a la John?

Is there a drink checklist? I tried the search function but it didn't return anything. If there is one I'd love to see it. I enjoy trying new things (even weird, peanut buttery things) but I tend to run out of ideas.

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

That's been my experience as well.  Back in the tradition dining only days, the early seating always filled up before the late seating. And when MTD came out, the "middle" slots were reserved first leaving only the really early & really late slots open. 

Fortunately,  I'm a late eater so it actually worked to my advantage in both instances. There might have been a instance or two when the late MTD slots were too late for whatever event was happening that night. In those cases, I'd either eat in WJ or specialty restaurant. 

EDIT: Sorry, I replied before I saw the subtle shift.  Just wanted to add I'm only giving my experience,  no hard facts or guess work involved.  Moving on to see what fun drinks will be consumed tonight. 

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Greg, how are your knees holding up?

So far it seems like you and Linda are having a relaxing cruise.

I can't wait to read all about your Jost Van Dyke Soggy Dollar experience and of course see some pictures Seadog style!

Your review is aces!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Soothing guitar music by Joencio in the prominade. He was really good.

I used to provide piano music up in the Card Room in the Crown before they turned it into the SL and got rid of the piano.🙄

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, laurieal said:

Is there a drink checklist? I tried the search function but it didn't return anything. If there is one I'd love to see it. I enjoy trying new things (even weird, peanut buttery things) but I tend to run out of ideas.

I need to find it. John from John&Lala created it. If I can find it I will repost. It’s an ambitious list.

14 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Greg, how are your knees holding up?

So far it seems like you and Linda are having a relaxing cruise.

I can't wait to read all about your Jost Van Dyke Soggy Dollar experience and of course see some pictures Seadog style!

Your review is aces!

Thank you. Excited to tell everyone about Soggy.

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I used to provide piano music up in the Card Room in the Crown before they turned it into the SL and got rid of the piano.🙄

I would love to hear you play.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I need to find it. John from John&Lala created it. If I can find it I will repost. It’s an ambitious list.

Thank you. Excited to tell everyone about Soggy.

I would love to hear you play.

I love playing and singing for people. I was part of a contemporary Christian music group in church for years. I do a lot of Cat Stevens, Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Diamond, Elton John type music.

• Like 20

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I love playing and singing for people. I was part of a contemporary Christian music group in church for years. I do a lot of Cat Stevens, Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Diamond, Elton John type music.

Seems like we have a future cruise entertainer here. 😁

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You never cease to amaze me. We’ve been talking about you tonight. It’s all good. We all agree. We would recognize your feet anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 18

At Giovanni’s with the gang. I don’t know if this a quasi Bella 1.5 or a Soggy Sea Dog 1.0 either way great people who are passionate cruisers and part of our Cruise Critic family. I am blessed to call them friends and family. I am sorry we missed @mo&fran.

IMG_2850.thumb.jpeg.12181bd8766f5b070d212520ee169133.jpeg

• Like 39

44 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

At Giovanni’s with the gang. I don’t know if this a quasi Bella 1.5 or a Soggy Sea Dog 1.0 either way great people who are passionate cruisers and part of our Cruise Critic family. I am blessed to call them friends and family. I am sorry we missed @mo&fran.

IMG_2850.thumb.jpeg.12181bd8766f5b070d212520ee169133.jpeg

Love this picture.  Miss you guys!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

You and your bestie can do a concert.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12