Jump to content

Any hotels in the Boston area to stay & park?


OCVTSGIRL
 Share

Recommended Posts

Next September we are going on a 15 day cruise out of Boston.  We live in NJ so we will drive up there the day before we sail.  Are there any hotels nearby that will let us leave our car there for the 15 days?  I'm actually looking at an Embassy Suites about 26 miles from the port but I see no mention of this option.  Since we aren't familiar with the area we thought it would be great to stay at a hotel and then be able to leave our car there and either take a shuttle...if that's an option...or Uber.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 miles is pretty far from Boston considering that is about where I used to live. Call La Quinta (Somerville) as they might have a parking package. I know they had a van for airport transfer so just maybe they will take you to the Ray Flynn Black Falcon pier. Other areas may be off Rt. 1near Revere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another option is to take the train to Boston from NJ or NYC.  We do the train from Boston to Newark Penn or EWR when we cruise out of Port Liberty, NJ.

If you still want to drive look for hotels in Revere and Chelsea, MA (both north of the city) or Quincy or Braintree (both south of the city) to see if they have parking plans. 

Edited by Traveling Library
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You have to crunch the numbers to decided cost v convenience. What about a hotel close to a Logan express location? Logan express parking is $7 per day.  Pre purchase logan coach tickets for $18 round trip. Or Uber to the port. Crazy idea, yes. But those park n fly packages do build in parking with the daily rate and often only do it for 7 days   Check out the Marriott in Westwood on university dr. It’s adjacent to the Amtrak and commuter rail line and ends at south station which is an easy transfer to the port. 

 


 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

What about Park and Fly packages from hotels near Logan? The airport is not far from the cruise port and should be a quick Uber or taxi  ride on the morning of the cruise.

I wouldn't leave my car at any of the hotels near Logan that offer Park and Fly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, WatchHill said:

You have to crunch the numbers to decided cost v convenience. What about a hotel close to a Logan express location? Logan express parking is $7 per day.  Pre purchase logan coach tickets for $18 round trip. Or Uber to the port. Crazy idea, yes. But those park n fly packages do build in parking with the daily rate and often only do it for 7 days   Check out the Marriott in Westwood on university dr. It’s adjacent to the Amtrak and commuter rail line and ends at south station which is an easy transfer to the port. 

 


 

 

Westwood is a nice Idea. It’s south of Boston and just off Rte 128. The train station allows overnight parking if you park in the Amtrak section. Worth calling the hotel for options. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last October (2023) before boarding Voyager, my wife and I stayed at the Comfort Inn Boston (900 Morrissey Blvd).  Left our car there for the duration of the cruise. $10/night. 

 

Took the hotel shuttle to the port, I think there was a fee for that too.  I believe they also did pickups post-cruise if you call them, but we uber'd because it was quicker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a parking lot right at the pier...not sure about 15 day cruises, but we have left our car there doing the NCL cruise...I think it was about 150 for the week..

IMO, no hotels in Boston offer parking..you have to go outside the city...try hotels near Logan Airport then take a cab/uber/left to/from Black Falcon Pier..

The 15 days might be an issue...most hotels have limits

Edited by Scoobydobe7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2023 at 12:50 PM, mjkacmom said:

Amtrak is a nice way to get back and forth to Boston.

And not that relatively expensive when your compare it with the REAL total costs of driving: gas, tolls, parking, wear and tear on the car - and yourself. (A lot of people do not take the time to figure - assuming very wrongly that, as long as they have a car, it’s the cheapest way.)

 

Price it out as an alternative - if you bought tickets now, round trip from Trenton (for example) to Boston would be about $60 per.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

And not that relatively expensive when your compare it with the REAL total costs of driving: gas, tolls, parking, wear and tear on the car - and yourself. (A lot of people do not take the time to figure - assuming very wrongly that, as long as they have a car, it’s the cheapest way.)

 

Price it out as an alternative - if you bought tickets now, round trip from Trenton (for example) to Boston would be about $60 per.

My daughter goes to grad school in Boston, we live in NJ, and if purchased in advance she can get a round trip for $60, plus the train is nicer than sitting in traffic. I’ve driven, flow, and taken the train, I prefer the train.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/30/2023 at 8:27 PM, 1025cruise said:

Quick answer is no there aren't. The hotels that offer cruise and park are outside the city and not necessarily an area where one would want to leave a car.

I have friends who did a Park and Stay so they could leave from Logan early am.  I heard of no complaints

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/30/2023 at 6:47 PM, OCVTSGIRL said:

Next September we are going on a 15 day cruise out of Boston.  We live in NJ so we will drive up there the day before we sail.  Are there any hotels nearby that will let us leave our car there for the 15 days?  I'm actually looking at an Embassy Suites about 26 miles from the port but I see no mention of this option.  Since we aren't familiar with the area we thought it would be great to stay at a hotel and then be able to leave our car there and either take a shuttle...if that's an option...or Uber.

Google hotels with park and stay, boston   I'm sure you will find some.  I remember seeing billboards advertising that on the approaches to Logan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2023 at 7:24 PM, Nabalab said:

Last October (2023) before boarding Voyager, my wife and I stayed at the Comfort Inn Boston (900 Morrissey Blvd).  Left our car there for the duration of the cruise. $10/night. 

 

Took the hotel shuttle to the port, I think there was a fee for that too.  I believe they also did pickups post-cruise if you call them, but we uber'd because it was quicker.

 

Do they have a secured area for parking your car while travelling? Is the area safe where the hotel is located?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cruislovin said:

 

Do they have a secured area for parking your car while travelling? Is the area safe where the hotel is located?

 

Honestly looking back, it was a regular parking lot.  No gates, not sure about security.  When we checked into the hotel, we had to indicate the year/make/model of the car.  The vehicle was fine when we got back; the area seemed safe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2023 at 8:41 AM, Nabalab said:

 

Honestly looking back, it was a regular parking lot.  No gates, not sure about security.  When we checked into the hotel, we had to indicate the year/make/model of the car.  The vehicle was fine when we got back; the area seemed safe.

I wouldn't have recommended leaving a car at that location if it had anything inside that looked valuable or if the car was a desirable one.  I'm glad it worked out for you but that's not one of the safest parts of the city

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I wouldn't have recommended leaving a car at that location if it had anything inside that looked valuable or if the car was a desirable one.  I'm glad it worked out for you but that's not one of the safest parts of the city

Decades ago, my husband and I stayed at a hotel in Boston, his car was broken into (Volkswagen fox, cheap car) and his guitar was stolen from his trunk. I’d never leave a car in a city in an unsecured lot (we live 10 miles from Manhattan, safe town, but nightly car break in’s).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I wouldn't have recommended leaving a car at that location if it had anything inside that looked valuable or if the car was a desirable one.  I'm glad it worked out for you but that's not one of the safest parts of the city

 

Appreciate the tip.  We're of course glad (and fortunate) it worked out too, but will def be mindful for next time.  Not even sure when/if that'll be, since we prefer the newer ships - or as my wife says, with a Royal Promenade 🙂 

 

Only reason we did it (in 2022, not 2023... which I wrote in my original post) was because Voyager had been on the bucket list for years.  Wanted to finally "complete" that class - the ship had been overseas for awhile.

Edited by Nabalab
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Nabalab said:

 

Appreciate the tip.  We're of course glad (and fortunate) it worked out too, but will def be mindful for next time.  Not even sure when/if that'll be, since we prefer the newer ships - or as my wife says, with a Royal Promenade 🙂 

 

Only reason we did it (in 2022, not 2023... which I wrote in my original post) was because Voyager had been on the bucket list for years.  Wanted to finally "complete" that class - the ship had been overseas for awhile.

Completely understand.  Daytime I have no issues in that area and have been there many times.  But leaving an attractive target isn't a great idea.  Lots of other good tradeoffs between price and safety and convenience.  

 

Feel free to ask in this forum or others about areas before you make decisions like this.  You'll find the locals (and I lived in Boston 50+ years before my recent relocation) here eager to help advise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone!  For those who recommended taking the train...I think its best for us to get to the Boston area the day before we sail.  I guess we would take the train and then Uber to a hotel and Uber to the port?  I have to check because I don't know where we would get the train in NJ.  I seem to remember looking once and there was no direct train plus we would have to leave our car and pay to park...I assume.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, OCVTSGIRL said:

Thanks everyone!  For those who recommended taking the train...I think its best for us to get to the Boston area the day before we sail.  I guess we would take the train and then Uber to a hotel and Uber to the port?  I have to check because I don't know where we would get the train in NJ.  I seem to remember looking once and there was no direct train plus we would have to leave our car and pay to park...I assume.

That's an option, but the train to Boston also stops really near lots of hotels.  Amtrack stops in Back Bay and there are at least a dozen hotels within a 10 minute walk, and ends at South Station and there are another half dozen hotels a short walk away.  Both locations are good for visitors

 

Then on cruise day you can uber to the port or take public transit if you want to give it a shot.  It's a pretty easy trip

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...