Gratuities Are Going Up Again, Effective 11.11.2023

ace1zoe2

4 hours ago, iscruisingdunzo said:

Except this is an American company largely profiting off of international staff. Just a lil bit different than the majority of America...

No, it is a Liberian company, fleecing both their American/International guests and their International crew!

23 minutes ago, exm said:

Absolutely agree. Did MSC (Seaside) once. Great experience. Next year going on RC Wonder (first time Oasis class, and I'm Diamond with young kids!) and MSC Meraviglia also: I'm sure the Wonder is much nicer, everything is "better" but for a family of 5 I am looking at 5k MSC vs 12k Wonder (including drink packages and internet). At that point I rather cruise twice on MSC over once on Royal.

That much savings buys a lot of drink package,  specialty dining,  etc...

58 minutes ago, bgoff60 said:

How does one "officially" remove the prepaid gratuity from their tab so that we can pay in cash later to those we feel have earned it?  Is there a timing issue once we board?

You just go to guest services. I usually go early in the morning day 2 or 3, and just ask them to remove them. I've never been questioned as to why or received any pushback.  I like to go when it's quiet on the ship and empty at guest services. It may take 24-36 hours for whatever has been already charged to be removed, but it always comes off.

• Like 2

Just now, iscruisingdunzo said:

Lol right. With a corporate HQ in Miami. Hopefully Desantis hits them hard like Disney!

I would, at least Disney pays American wages and Corporate Income Taxes in California.  Royal pays none of this and is a true Foreign Corporation. Gotta love the o'l "Flags of Convivence." 

1 minute ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

You just go to guest services. I usually go early in the morning day 2 or 3, and just ask them to remove them. I've never been questioned as to why or received any pushback.  I like to go when it's quiet on the ship and empty at guest services. It may take 24-36 hours for whatever has been already charged to be removed, but it always comes off.

I just was on Carnival Celebration, this was very popular with passengers, many openly talked about it, I witnessed it too.

Might as well join in 

So we have always pre paid gratuities and we pretty much always do speciality dining that has the 18% gratuity included when we pre purchase PCP

So my conscience is clear and we are whole and all who serve our food and attend our digs are duly compensated accordingly 

FYI specialty typically get a $20 as well for dinner 

So where does the portion of my $18.50 go to with regards dining staff NOW 

and where will the extra $2.00 end up

Anyone

Anyone

Bueller (Liberty)

Royal we have 13 cruises booked, if we remove all the pre paid gratuities 

7 nights x 2 PAX at a thanks for locking us in at $18.50 

I think I might cancel all the PCP gratuities and cash me out a tidy little sum of $3367 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We tip a $1 per DP drink and that won’t change.  But since I don’t eat breakfast and use the buffet for a very light lunch, usually not in the windjammer, I feel I’m over tipping for the room being done once a day and one meal served from the wait staff. Who are all those people behind the scenes I’m supposed to be tipping?  

• Like 1

“ I know tipping is a hot topic but if everyone would just pay their part the ones that do what the cruise line suggests wouldn't take the hit for everyone.”

Or alternatively Royal could go ‘gratuities included’ and add a smaller amount on to every cruise they sell to share the cost evenly across everyone who sails and pay staff properly. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

This thread will hit 20 pages by morning. All people offering nonsense pontifications that mean and change nothing.  Feel free to just contribute your garbage hot air here.....

And here you are adding to it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Crazy stuff. Onboard service / offering getting worse and they're increasing the salary supplement scheme. Prices getting higher all the time.

I've always prepaid (which I know a lot of UK guests don't do), but the time has come I feel where I'd just remove and tip directly onboard to those that deserve it imo.

After our NZ cruise in 2025, may genuinely book another line. Even with the D+ drinks, the value is really not great anymore.

Edited by swoopy2110
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, joeyancho said:

To service their massive debt.  The billion dollar profit was not enough.  

How much of Mr. Liberty's approximate 11 million in yearly compensation is he foregoing to help alleviate the company's debt?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, joeyancho said:

MSC is run differently than other cruise lines.   It is privately owned.  MSC is a massive commercial shipping company with over 760 ships worldwide.   Those ships did not stop sailing during the pandemic. They had an income stream.  They were positioned much better to deal with the shut down of cruising.   Being privately owned means they are not obligated to stock holders. There is no pressure to pay dividends.  They don't answer to anyone.  They mainly operate in the European market.  Only recently have they ventured in to the US market.  So their product is a bit different than Americans are used.  I would not say they are not "as nice".  I would say they are different.  They have 5 different drink packages.  Much more reasonable than Royal. Their drinks are cheaper than Royal if you are paying out of pocket.   There are not as many places to get free food,  but the buffet stays open from 6 am to late at night.  Their pizza is crazy good.  Rooms are serviced twice per day.   I have taken one MSC cruise and was impressed.  I am booked to go again in December.   This time in the Yacht Club experience,  the most elevated experience of any of the major cruise lines.  Even though I am diamond + on Royal,  I am not Royal loyal.  I am always ready to venture beyond my comfort zone.  I am not upset if everything is not the same as what I am used to.  So if you are fed up with rising costs and fees, why not try something different?   After all you will still be on a cruise.  Bon Voyage. 

MSC is high on my radar. I wonder if it could turn out that different is better. RCI keeps giving me reasons to find out.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, bretts173 said:

So you would prefer the same service but a 50% increased cost.

Actually I am paying just about double, that would be 100% more for the mathematically challenged, for my up coming Feb cruise (same ship, number of days, and even same cabin) than what I payed last winter so I have zero clue what you are talking about or what your point is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

BUT I find it interesting after posting a BILLON dollars in profit, they give the staff a raise by raising what the guests already pay…

And the staff may not even see a cent more of this increase. It could easily go to servicing the debt. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kruzgal said:

“ I know tipping is a hot topic but if everyone would just pay their part the ones that do what the cruise line suggests wouldn't take the hit for everyone.”

If 100% of passengers paid the suggested amount it wouldn't change RCI's increases in the slightest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

But you don't have to carry around a bunch iof singles--you can just add an extra tip to the receipt when you sign for it.

95% of the time I do not get a chit to sign.  The only places that I occasionally get a chit to sign is on Coco Cay, Sorrento's and Central Park Cafe. My sails have been mostly on Oasis, Anthem and Allure.

Ps, I'm one of them that carries $ bills.🤣