World "shakedown" cruise on Serenade starting next week (Semi-Live Review)

orville99

On 12/4/2023 at 12:26 PM, ericfromri said:

Does anybody have any further information on the laundry situation?    I would happily give $1000 to be able to have access to a washing machine for this cruise.   I’ll be on for the whole W C, and I hate sending out my laundry. They shrink the hell out of it.    This cruise I have to worry about gaining inches. Lol unfortunately not losing them.

Did you book it as a full cruise?

Those that booked as 17 minis don't get access

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

Did you book it as a full cruise?

Those that booked as 17 minis don't get access

And I don't believe that those of us on the quarter cruises get access either,  We are on half of the WC, 2 quarters, and are apparently the "red headed step children".  😉 

• Haha 2

Just putting a bow on thi thread.

We tried to get off of the ship around 9:00 because we had an Uber reserved to take us to the Brightline terminal at 10:30, but the terminal was closed and we had to wait in queue until ~10:00. The Brightline ride back to Orlando was excellent and we would do it again in a heartbeat. The Uber that we booked through Brightline arrived exactly on time, we had plenty of time to check bags, grab a bit of a snack, and catch our breath before we boarded the train. The train left exactly on time (11:45) and arrived at MCO two minutes early. The Uber to home showed up exactly on time and we got back home with no problems at all. Even though we booked the Uber through Brightline, when they texted me that our driver was on his way, the link opened inn my Uber app, so seamless integration.

IMG_0845.jpeg

IMG_0846.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

Edited by orville99
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2023 at 12:58 PM, orville99 said:

Found the laundry rooms (at least the ones on deck 7 and 8): Keycard access readers have been installed, and have a red security card in them for now.

People on board this week will know how we were able to find them😱

Deck 7:

IMG_0246.jpeg

Deck 8:

IMG_0247.jpeg

OH MY!🙂I am right next to the Laundry (which I will also be unable to access on my two legs)! Too funny!

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 8:29 AM, island lady said:

Not to mention the self service laundry is just for full WC cruisers.  😞  I am on half of the WC...wonder if they will let me use them half of the time.  😄 😄 

Or only do half loads?😊

• Haha 1

Probably by the time the 1st quarter is done they will let everyone use the self service laundry once the laundry service on the ship can't handle doing all the wash and all the complaints about ruining people clothing in their hot washers and dryers.

I mean this would be the first time every getting so much clothing from passengers on a ship ever.

They have never been in this position before.

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Probably by the time the 1st quarter is done they will let everyone use the self service laundry once the laundry service on the ship can't handle doing all the wash and all the complaints about ruining people clothing in their hot washers and dryers.

I mean this would be the first time every getting so much clothing from passengers on a ship ever.

They have never been in this position before.

Be interesting if delays getting All the Clothing back and how long. Lately I been getting my Wash/Fold back the next day, Though along with normal Cruise passenger Laundry, towels, table clothes, napkins, at one time they use to replace and wash Bed sheets everyday. Cabin Attendants worked hard and actually longer hrs back then when added to their daily routine making couches into beds every nite and back to couches every morning... Was counting available cabins and there are quite a few on first leg, that or many unassigned Guarantees

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Be interesting if delays getting All the Clothing back and how long. Lately I been getting my Wash/Fold back the next day, Though along with normal Cruise passenger Laundry, towels, table clothes, napkins, at one time they use to replace and wash Bed sheets everyday. Cabin Attendants worked hard and actually longer hrs back then when added to their daily routine making couches into beds every nite and back to couches every morning... Was counting available cabins and there are quite a few on first leg, that or many unassigned Guarantees

It may become a real hassle,they may just say everyone just use the self service laundry service.

14 hours ago, orville99 said:

Just putting a bow on thi thread.

We tried to get off of the ship around 9:00 because we had an Uber reserved to take us to the Brightline terminal at 10:30, but the terminal was closed and we had to wait in queue until ~10:00. The Brightline ride back to Orlando was excellent and we would do it again in a heartbeat. The Uber that we booked through Brightline arrived exactly on time, we had plenty of time to check bags, grab a bit of a snack, and catch our breath before we boarded the train. The train left exactly on time (11:45) and arrived at MCO two minutes early. The Uber to home showed up exactly on time and we got back home with no problems at all. Even though we booked the Uber through Brightline, when they texted me that our driver was on his way, the link opened inn my Uber app, so seamless integration.

IMG_0845.jpeg

IMG_0846.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

So when you booked the trip that included the Uber from port and then MCO, did Brightline arrange both uber rides and just tell you? I’ve pre-reserved UBER in the past from my home to airport, but how did you know what car and when? Did it all go through the Uber app?

One last question, if you were cruising from Miami again, would you feel comfortable booking the train the same day as boarding or would you want to get there the day before? and would you would do it again? Refresh how much it cost.  I know Ive hit the limit on questions for one post 😁..thanks!

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

So when you booked the trip that included the Uber from port and then MCO, did Brightline arrange both uber rides and just tell you? I’ve pre-reserved UBER in the past from my home to airport, but how did you know what car and when? Did it all go through the Uber app?

One last question, if you were cruising from Miami again, would you feel comfortable booking the train the same day as boarding or would you want to get there the day before? and would you would do it again? Refresh how much it cost.  I know Ive hit the limit on questions for one post 😁..thanks!

We booked everything directly through Brightline, including both Uber rides (Brightline calls them "first" mile - from the port to the terminal, and "last" mile - from Orlando to our home). About 15 minutes after we got off the ship in Miami, we received both a recorded phone call and a text message from Brightline confirming that our driver was on their way to the port, and where we were to meet them. About 10 minutes before the driver arrived, we received another phone call and text message giving us the specifics of the Uber (driver name, make and model car, license plate, etc.) along with the driver's phone number, and a link in the text message so we could track the Uber. When I clicked on the link, it opened my Uber app and tracked just like any Uber ride. Same process on the Orlando end.

As for cost, we booked their "smart" fares because they were having a Black Friday sale ($20 off each ticket), so $59 each for the train; we checked three bags ($25 each); and the two Uber rides ended up costing another $75 to the total cost ($20 first mile and $55 last mile), so $268 total. Had there not been a sale, we would have booked their premium package for $298 total cost that included two checked bags and both Uber rides. Going forward, we will book their premium service - it would only have been about $20 more in the end, and the in terminal and on train perks (like free food on board) are worth it.

If I missed anything, just let me know.

Not sure we will ever sail out of Miami again (hate both the city and the port), but will use Brightline again when we sail out of Ft. Lauderdale, and have no concerns about going down the same day

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

One thing going for us...the WC is not sold out.  Lots of inside, outside, and even balconies still available to book.  Won't be a full ship in the least for our first quarter anyway.  I think the 4th quarter out of Barcelona is pretty much up though.  

13 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We booked everything directly through Brightline, including both Uber rides (Brightline calls them "first" mile - from the port to the terminal, and "last" mile - from Orlando to our home). About 15 minutes after we got off the ship in Miami, we received both a recorded phone call and a text message from Brightline confirming that our driver was on their way to the port, and where we were to meet them. About 10 minutes before the driver arrived, we received another phone call and text message giving us the specifics of the Uber (driver name, make and model car, license plate, etc.) along with the driver's phone number, and a link in the text message so we could track the Uber. When I clicked on the link, it opened my Uber app and tracked just like any Uber ride. Same process on the Orlando end.

As for cost, we booked their "smart" fares because they were having a Black Friday sale ($20 off each ticket), so $59 each for the train; we checked three bags ($25 each); and the two Uber rides ended up costing another $75 to the total cost ($20 first mile and $55 last mile), so $268 total. Had there not been a sale, we would have booked their premium package for $298 total cost that included two checked bags and both Uber rides. Going forward, we will book their premium service - it would only have been about $20 more in the end, and the in terminal and on train perks (like free food on board) are worth it.

Not sure we will ever sail out of Miami again (hate both the city and the port), but will use Brightline again when we sail out of Ft. Lauderdale, and have no concerns about going down the same day

Where does the checked bags go on the train, in the car you are in or in a different car? It's to bad they charge so much for checked bags, otherwise it wouldn't be a bad deal.

We can take the Amtrak train all the way from Roanoke, Va.  to Newark, NJ for $79 and we can carry on as many bags as we like and there is no additional charge.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Hmmmm......will RCI turn it back into a cabin after the WC or just charge for using it? Which makes them more money?

That picture is the only time I will see it.  😉  

Looks like an employee prep closet?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Thanks SOOOOO much!!

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Where does the checked bags go on the train, in the car you are in or in a different car? It's to bad they charge so much for checked bags, otherwise it wouldn't be a bad deal.

We can take the Amtrak train all the way from Roanoke, Va.  to Newark, NJ for $79 and we can carry on as many bags as we like and there is no additional charge.

We’ve taken Amtrak lots of times, and yes we can bring luggage onboard, and I think I read that you can carry luggage on Brightline too, you don’t have to check them if you don’t want to. NOt sure how many bags or if there’s a size limit though. I have read on the other social site people saying they carried luggage on though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Checked bags go in a baggage car. Unlike airlines, they do not have a weight limit, only a size limit and one bag weighed 67 pounds, one weighed 43 pounds and the lightest one weighed 27 pounds.

39 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We’ve taken Amtrak lots of times, and yes we can bring luggage onboard, and I think I read that you can carry luggage on Brightline too, you don’t have to check them if you don’t want to. NOt sure how many bags or if there’s a size limit though. I have read on the other social site people saying they carried luggage on though

You can have two carry on each, and the size limit is quite liberal, so two of the bags we checked could have been rolled on (unfortunately we had 5 bags total, so three would have to be checked anyway.

From Brightline:

Carry-on Items

Up to two (2) carry-on items per passenger are allowed on board our trains, subject to space availability. Each standard size carry-on item must not exceed 40 lbs. (18 kg) in weight and 28" x 22" x 14" (71 x 56 x 35 cm) in exterior dimensions. Items must fit comfortably within the overhead luggage area, under the seat or in the luggage tower available in each train coach. Items may not be stored in empty seats, aisles, vestibules or other areas where they present a safety hazard or cause annoyance to other passengers. 

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1