Food Selection and Quality Hits an All Time Low

Vibe

14 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Unfortunately, the cook to order stations aren’t there on all Oasis class anymore, like Allure when we sailed recently. So we ate in the MDR a few nights & it was fine; some things were quite good. Giovanni’s and Sabor were excellent the other nights. Breakfast is always good to me between made to order omelettes, lox & bagels freshly toasted in the CL, and the standard buffet fare. I gained a bunch of weight as I always do & had no issues with the food.

Just to make sure I understand your comments correctly.......does Windjammer on Allure have made to order omelette stations in the morning for breakfast?

Have been hearing way too much on this across the board - 

We've typically been MDR people but for our Icon sailing in March, we're doing the Ultimate Dining Package...

Haven't sailed RCI since 2019 and are really looking forward to coming back to try the new class, shame the food has taken a nosedive.  We were on the Disney Fantasy back in March and would say the food was pretty good.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rinse82 said:

We've typically been MDR people but for our Icon sailing in March, we're doing the Ultimate Dining Package...

Haven't sailed RCI since 2019 and are really looking forward to coming back to try the new class, shame the food has taken a nosedive.  We were on the Disney Fantasy back in March and would say the food was pretty good.

You haven't been on but are only believing the bad reviews and not the good ones?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2023 at 1:45 PM, Vibe said:

I am currently on the Wonder of the Seas. As always Royal Caribbean entertainment is awesome. The ship itself is nice but is overcrowded. This was the most we ever paid for a cruise.

The one thing I can’t believe is how horrible the food has become.  The food budget appears to have been cut so much that the main dining room food is awful and the Windjammer is disgusting. The poor ingredients is making basic food incredibly inedible. Mystery fish, poor quality meat and chicken.  Less selection.

The ships are now sailing full. I overheard other guests comment about how dissatisfied they are. With high prices, poor quality food, rising gratuities, will people book a future cruise?

I really find it’s more the aptitude of the chefs than the quality of the ingredients.  Their chefs are no longer of the same standard they once were.  

23 hours ago, nelblu said:

Last year when I sailed on Oasis, there was no fresh to make omelet area.  I was frustrated as I had just come off Allure and they had one.  I found the pre-made ones standing there and a bit dry and lacking in some of the ingredients, e.g. ham, cheese, etc.  To my surprise both on our August and October sail there's an individual, one can barely see the person, taking orders for made to order omelets.  They give you a contraption (?) that vibrates when the order is ready.  

Oasis has this again, by the way. Sailed in January and October and both times the WJ had omelet stations with  the little pager thingee. 

Sometimes expectations alter taste. We went to an all inclusive last winter that was all over the boards and review pages as having the BEST food at any all inclusive in the area. That is the one and only time I have been disappointed bordering on disgusted with food. My husband (the man can eat unidentified leftovers of questionable age found in the corner of the fridge and be cool with it) said it was "ok" but admittedly nowhere near the quality of food we've had at other resorts and cruises...

We sail in a week on our first RC cruise and I will report back. We've been on several cruises with NCL and a couple with Carnival and I really didn't have any complaints. I wouldn't say I've been particularly blown away aside from our first cruise 20ish years ago but I have also never thought the food was trash. Very curious to see how Royal compares.

10 hours ago, FishOn55 said:

Just to make sure I understand your comments correctly.......does Windjammer on Allure have made to order omelette stations in the morning for breakfast?

Yes.  I'm an early riser and usually go to the WJ right after my hour's walk.  Usually at about 7 there's only one person taking omelet orders.  One can barely see the person and he/she is usually standing towards the end of the eggs station.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

The amount of times I've echoed this statement. 

Yeah, it makes me want to stop posting it b/c people will react however it is in their nature to react, but sometimes I can't help it.

I could have added that I even thought Sorrento's was quite good on Allure (crispy and I liked the rotating pizza of the day the 3 days I tried it) but that's going too far for many, lol.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yeah, it makes me want to stop posting it b/c people will react however it is in their nature to react, but sometimes I can't help it.

I could have added that I even thought Sorrento's was quite good on Allure (crispy and I liked the rotating pizza of the day the 3 days I tried it) but that's going too far for many, lol.

People tend to believe bad reviews but not good ones, we are a cynical bunch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

People tend to believe bad reviews but not good ones, we are a cynical bunch.

And what makes it worse is the inherent bias of reviews... People are more likely, regardless of subject, to take the time to complain about negatives rather than share positives.

• Like 1

We've never had a really bad experience with the food.  Yes, the quality has diminished a bit but just as good as my house serves at least.  Pizza, I'll always order my own the day before we want it...you can't beat a custom pizza from Sorrento's for cruising. Maybe the pies sitting under the heat lamps disappoint, but I still remember my Caribbean Pizza from Odyssey.  Allure in September had luscious food in the specialties, our first time with 3 night pkg.  And Chops was surprisingly the best out of the 3.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Everything looks and taste good, as long as I'm not cooking and doing the dishes.😊

I know a lot of people feel that way.  

With a few exceptions I am a bargain hunter cruiser - I look for the best deal out there and don't worry about the itinerary, ship, etc.  I've managed to travel all over the world and have saved $$$.

The only reason I mention that is because for the price I pay I'm somewhat tolerant of food, but I also know that people on the same cruise I have been on have paid considerably more and if I were them I would not be happy with some of the cutbacks that have been happening for the past 15 + years. (On all cruise lines, for that matter.)

Edited by mek
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Norwegian Cruise Line Holding just proudly announce that they managed to reduce food costs by 30%. Not sure if this is really an achievement I would tell customers. Trust Royal has gone the same route…

+1

3 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Norwegian Cruise Line Holding just proudly announce that they managed to reduce food costs by 30%. Not sure if this is really an achievement I would tell customers. Trust Royal has gone the same route…

LOL - perhaps install one less water slide and spend the money on food??????

3 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

I haven’t sailed NCL for 20 years , was definitely surprised when one of my friends who was a professional chef his entire life , loved the food on NCL cruise last month.

14 hours ago, nalatrixie74 said:

We're on a 3 night Allure soon, since we're in Port both days does that mean mdr won't be open for lunch? Loved the salads they made. Also any opinions on Johnny rockets for breakfast? 

PROBABLY the MDR will be closed for lunch on port days.

Are you talking about the old Tutti salad they used to make /toss right in front of you in the MDR?  Sadly, those are gone.  I don't really understand why they were SO GOOD. 

However, I had a big made-by-me salad for lunch most days last week in the Windjammer, and I was pleased with the freshness and quality of the salad ingredients.  I paired this salad with a grilled chicken thigh most days ... Grandeur's Windjammer really excelled with grilled chicken.  

13 hours ago, rinse82 said:

If you haven't sailed with Royal since 2019 you're basing your opinion on the complaints here on this board.  Honestly, some people just don't want to be made happy.  Talking the most /whining doesn't make a thing true.  

I was pleased with almost everything I ate last week on Grandeur; of course some things were better than others, but nothing was bad. 

My suggestion for you:  Don't book your dining package just yet.  Try the food for yourself, then -- if you want the specialty restaurants -- sign up with the wait staff that wander the ship offering 30% discounts.  They're in the stairwells, by the pool, everywhere.  

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Are you talking about the old Tutti salad they used to make /toss right in front of you in the MDR?  Sadly, those are gone

Yes! So good! Simple but we enjoyed. That's too bad they no longer make them, but I guess mdr being closed doesn't matter now. Thank you 😊 

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I'll never turn down a slice if lookin for a quick grab , and most are just soso but I Had a barbecue chicken pizza on Harmony last month  that was fantastic !

• Like 1