Iceland and Greenland 2024 and 2025

BaltimoreCruise

There is a transatlantic that leaves  in late June 2024 that goes to both plus does the entire Canadian maritimes and ends in Boston.  It leaves from the commercial port in Amsterdam not in central city.

5 hours ago, BaltimoreCruise said:

I was on the HAL website to look for an itinerary that includes both Iceland and Greenland in 2024 and 2025.  I was not successful.  Do any of you CC members know?  

July 20, 2024 Zuiderdam 35 day Voyage of the Vikings (Boston RT)

• Like 1

Think about picking the cruise during the dates when it is most likely to transit the full Prince Christian Sound in Greenland. When it will hopefully be free enough of ice to be passable .One of the most stunning memories on the entire Voyage of the Vikings. Of course, it will be impossible to predict this for certain but maybe there are more likely times of the year than others. 

We did the full Voyage of the Vikings in early August (I believe) Boston to Boston, We first entered the PW Sound from the west in the evening, and parked overnight  as far in as we could go. Then in the morning we cameback  out so slowly again to the western entrance. Then onwards through another route for our  east bound journey on to Iceland.  Captain had a search helicopter available to check it out, before making this partial transit decision.

Then on our return route back to Greenland from Iceland (Rotterdam was the  turnaround port) we were able to transit the full PW Sound - so just a few weeks made a difference in the ice content of the sound. Obviously there is no way to predict this - just beware of possible weather limitations on viewing this spectacular Greenland channel of water - the Prince Christian  Sound.

15 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Think about picking the cruise during the dates when it is most likely to transit the full Prince Christian Sound in Greenland. When it will hopefully be free enough of ice to be passable .One of the most stunning memories on the entire Voyage of the Vikings. Of course, it will be impossible to predict this for certain but maybe there are more likely times of the year than others. 

We did the full Voyage of the Vikings in early August (I believe) Boston to Boston, We first entered the PW Sound from the west in the evening, and parked overnight  as far in as we could go. Then in the morning we cameback  out so slowly again to the western entrance. Then onwards through another route for our  east bound journey on to Iceland.  Captain had a search helicopter available to check it out, before making this partial transit decision.

Then on our return route back to Greenland from Iceland (Rotterdam was the  turnaround port) we were able to transit the full PW Sound - so just a few weeks made a difference in the ice content of the sound. Obviously there is no way to predict this - just beware of possible weather limitations on viewing this spectacular Greenland channel of water - the Prince Christian  Sound.

This past June on the Zuiderdam we had to go into Prince Christian Sound from the west end because the other end was blocked by ice.  Got as far as the big glacier then turned around to go back out. Thank goodness we didn’t overnight because the next day we heard that both ends were blocked by ice and we were the last ship in and out.

14 minutes ago, StartrainDD said:

There is a unique "Arctic Circle" cruise departing Rotterdam late June 2025.  28 days, Norway, Greenland, and Iceland...

I just went and searched for this. Did not see any listed voyages with Greenland on the itinerary....

15 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

For me that linked to a 2022 cruise. It was a nice itinerary though.

I used the same link, and it lead me to a 2025 cruise. Strange. 
Could you have possibly misread the '5' as a '2'? Or, could the HAL website have been having another one of its temperamental moments??? Why not try again. 

This truly is a marvelous cruise, which I know because I have been to most of those ports at least once. The scenery is grand! 
I'm so sad that now that HAL is finally coming up with some of the best itineraries I have ever seen them put out, my ability to cruise is so badly reduced. I'm not sure I can physically do this cruise. Sure long to try, though. It's that good! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I used the same link, and it lead me to a 2025 cruise. Strange. 
Could you have possibly misread the '5' as a '2'? Or, could the HAL website have been having another one of its temperamental moments??? Why not try again. 

Yep, just the HAL website having fun with me! I clicked it again and still got the April 20, 2022 cruise that was listed as "Unavailable". When I refreshed the page the 2025 cruise showed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Yep, just the HAL website having fun with me! I clicked it again and still got the April 20, 2022 cruise that was listed as "Unavailable". When I refreshed the page the 2025 cruise showed.

Gotta luv the HAL website. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1