Trouble with RCI APP and cell bill after

We used the app onboard and now I have huge bill from my cell company saying I used Wi-Fi calling which we didn’t. We were only on the ship 6 days and turned off airplane mode in Freeport. 
We did use the app on a regular basis, but did nothing else. 
anyone with similar issues? 
We were told our bill was $ 852. 

5 years ago when we were on an Australian cruise with pre and post stay for  24 days  we did use international calling and had no bill like that. 

On my last 2 cruises my cell company charged me more than my regular amount.  I did turn off airplane mode in port. Thats what causes all the problems. But only a few bucks.  $800, that's insane.  Like some one said, it doesn't hurt to fight it.  Good luck. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

Taking your phone off of airplane mode was a huge mistake!!  That is why you have such a big bill!!

True.  Even if you weren't actively using your phone, just having it off airplane mode means all your apps were getting data.

Since cruise lines are pushing people to use their apps while onboard, I think the cruise lines should do more education to help people avoid big bills.  

We had to make calls home while in port. And we were only off the ship for about an hour. As soon as we got back in the ship we restored airplane mode. 
the company says it was the ship Wi-Fi causing the issue. At no point could I access any internet or phone service. 
We use T Mobile and have international service which we used extensively in Australia. 

I just can’t see that big if a bill happening. For the 24 days we were away on the Australia area and Singapore our bill was under $100.  This just seems so excessive. Something isn’t right. 
They said we can’t see the full  bill until the 25th. 

24 minutes ago, abridalmaven said:

We had to make calls home while in port. And we were only off the ship for about an hour. As soon as we got back in the ship we restored airplane mode. 
the company says it was the ship Wi-Fi causing the issue. At no point could I access any internet or phone service. 
We use T Mobile and have international service which we used extensively in Australia. 

I just can’t see that big if a bill happening. For the 24 days we were away on the Australia area and Singapore our bill was under $100.  This just seems so excessive. Something isn’t right. 
They said we can’t see the full  bill until the 25th. 

I agree it sounds like someone might have hijacked your service when you were using your phone.  OR, the local provider charges about $10 - $15 per minute for international calls.

I suggest you contact your cellular provider, explain the situation, and see if they can apply an international plan to that billing period.  Going forward, turn on that international plan.

I am with Xfinity, and when I go out of their coverage area, and I am not in airplane mode, I get a text they are activating the plan, which is $10 per day.  Nothing is charged unless I use my phone on shore to text or call. On the ship it's all through the ship's wifi, and I am in airplane mode.

I am so sorry this happened.  Cellular service has always been an issue when traveling, and I've tried separate phones, separate SIM cards, etc.

Good luck!

Edited by pcur
  • Haha 1

We used wi fI calling airplane mode on last cruise with ship internet.  According to Verizon website calls/ texts are free to the US with unlimited date and talk plan which we have with WiFi calling.  ( We had the ship internet.) We have a plan that charges $10 a day in some ports but always turn back to airplane mode before we get back on the ship.  Free in Mexico with Verizon, again in port, not on the ship.

We are planning 2 months in Australia and NZ next year.  We will be paying $100 a month and will have international data and calls in ports but not on the ship unless we use WiFi calling.  On the ship our phones will remain in air plane mode. 

It can be confusing.  Sounds like the bill might not be right?

6 hours ago, abridalmaven said:

Yes something is very off 

TMobile is the best for traveling. When I get my text from them in foreign countries for free data and texts, I always go off airplane mode, and I have never had an overage bill. There has only been  one place I have been with no coverage, Noumea, and I was told that in the text. I know calls are .25 a minute, but I’ve never made calls. Usually putting in airplane mode automatically shuts off Cellular Data, but maybe it didn’t on yours. I always double check mine. Something does seem very off.