Blue Lagoon

All of RCCL's are cancelled. Yesterday they all showed "Sold Out" and today they aren't even showing.

I know Disney made the decision early Tuesday morning (before this happened) to cancel their excursions to Blue Lagoon because of the sea conditions - other lines (or at least Royal) did not and apparently the ferry service didn't.

I'd hope there will be (or should be) lots of questions by officials and other cruise lines about why they were operating in those conditions. I would not expect any Blue Lagoon excursions until a LOT has been done - even if/when they get another provider.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

All of RCCL's are cancelled. Yesterday they all showed "Sold Out" and today they aren't even showing.

I know Disney made the decision early Tuesday morning (before this happened) to cancel their excursions to Blue Lagoon because of the sea conditions - other lines (or at least Royal) did not and apparently the ferry service didn't.

I'd hope there will be (or should be) lots of questions by officials and other cruise lines about why they were operating in those conditions. I would not expect any Blue Lagoon excursions until a LOT has been done - even if/when they get another provider.

From the video of the incident, the conditions looked just fine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

It was windy and currenty. My sister works for DCL and their captain made the call to cancel Blue Lagoon excursions based on their conditions while approaching and docking.

What about excursions to the other keys? Pearl island, Rose Island  etc?

All water excursions cancelled?

Edited by c-leg5

Those boats/ferries to Blue Lagoon are going to be the safest, most inspected boats in the world by the time Blue Lagoon reopens. Perfect time to go. The boats/ferries are going to be safer, and the island is going to be less crowded for awhile.

3 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Those boats/ferries to Blue Lagoon are going to be the safest, most inspected boats in the world by the time Blue Lagoon reopens. Perfect time to go. The boats/ferries are going to be safer, and the island is going to be less crowded for awhile.

Is Sky Lagoon open ? 

53 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

What about excursions to the other keys? Pearl island, Rose Island  etc?

All water excursions cancelled?

She didn't say. I only asked her if anyone on the Wish was involved in the ferry sinking and she said all the Blue Lagoon ones were cancelled. But if they also use similar ferries, probably so.

Some of the earliest articles that I've read indicates that this excursion was coming from Paradise Island.  All of the Blue Lagoon excursions that I've taken were from the docks.  Wondering if this was an independent excursion.

In October, we took this excursion and going from the dock, the ferry/shuttle took the opens seas route we were bouncing a bit and had water spraying all over the front of the boat.  This was not the standard route which we took on the return.

12 hours ago, klfrodo said:

For the immediate future.  

The most concerning thing I heard was that the ferry staff didn't provide any leadership /instruction about what to do.  

Regardless, consider how many of these ferries run every day and how few accidents have occurred.  This one was terrible, of course, especially for the woman who died; but -- overall -- these things make a lot of safe runs.  

• Like 2

We were just at Blue Lagon (Nov 6th).  The ferry process was the worst part of the excursion. They did give the standard safety speech on the way over, but very few people listened to it.  The way over is always slower than the way back, not sure which direction the sinking occurred in.  We were on the ferry that sank and sat in the bottom port aft the speaker above us didn't work well, so we didn't hear most of what was said going over.  If they tried to use the intercom in an emergency people would not hear them.  The workers that were on the ferry with us were the same ones who met us at the dock to "organize" the group, I put organize in scare quotes because the workers weren't organized enough to be able to organize the guests.  One of the workers from the dock even said he was an animal encounter person so I would surmise being on the ferry is not a main job duty.  I will say as this was the second time we have been to Blue Lagoon we do enjoy it and think it is a nice place, just wish there was a different way to get there than the ferry that is crowded and takes a long time.

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Blue Lagoon has their own boats.

They may use their own boats but it was the Disney Captain that canceled the excursion. I just wondered if he canceled all water excursions or if there is something unique to consider with that one.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

A New Hampshire couple gave a first hand account on our local news 

https://www.wmur.com/article/new-hampshire-couple-bahamas-ferry-sinking/45865912#

They said they still had to take a ferry back once they were rescued so sounds like incident occurred close to Blue Lagoon.  I read it was 10:30 so surmise it was on the way there

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nelblu said:

Some of the earliest articles that I've read indicates that this excursion was coming from Paradise Island.  All of the Blue Lagoon excursions that I've taken were from the docks.  Wondering if this was an independent excursion.

They pick up at the docks then go to Paradise Island and pick up people who book at hotels or at the ticket office at Paradise Island. Then they go to Paradise Island. There are no independent boats. All the boats to Blue Lagoon are run by Blue Lagoon. There are just different ways of booking. Cruse Line, Hotel or on your own. All boats are Blue Lagoon boats. I have booked to Blue Lagoon on Paradise Island on my own so that is how I have insight on their operation.

Edited by Charles4515

26 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They pick up at the docks then go to Paradise Island and pick up people who book at hotels or at the ticket office at Paradise Island. Then they go to Paradise Island. There are no independent boats. All the boats to Blue Lagoon are run by Blue Lagoon. There are just different ways of booking. Cruse Line, Hotel or on your own. All boats are Blue Lagoon boats. I have booked to Blue Lagoon on Paradise Island on my own so that is how I have insight on their operation.

Thanks, I've gone to BL many times and always direct.  There are usually a mountain of Paxs waiting to board the shuttles/ferries.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

They may use their own boats but it was the Disney Captain that canceled the excursion. I just wondered if he canceled all water excursions or if there is something unique to consider with that one.

That I do not know. I would imagine they did if they felt the conditions were not acceptable.

1 hour ago, dgramling said:

We were just at Blue Lagon (Nov 6th).  The ferry process was the worst part of the excursion. They did give the standard safety speech on the way over, but very few people listened to it.  The way over is always slower than the way back, not sure which direction the sinking occurred in.  We were on the ferry that sank and sat in the bottom port aft the speaker above us didn't work well, so we didn't hear most of what was said going over.  If they tried to use the intercom in an emergency people would not hear them.  The workers that were on the ferry with us were the same ones who met us at the dock to "organize" the group, I put organize in scare quotes because the workers weren't organized enough to be able to organize the guests.  One of the workers from the dock even said he was an animal encounter person so I would surmise being on the ferry is not a main job duty.  I will say as this was the second time we have been to Blue Lagoon we do enjoy it and think it is a nice place, just wish there was a different way to get there than the ferry that is crowded and takes a long time.

We were there in September and the experience was similar for us.  The sound system on the boat was poor at best.  We couldn't understand any of the "who lives in which house" tour info, much less the safety info.  And on the return trip, the only thing heard over the speakers was the EXTREMELY LOUD - and I mean LOUD - music.  Our only complaint of the day really.  Everyone was so tired - that was the last thing anyone wanted to hear. A shame this happened.  We really enjoyed our day at Blue Lagoon.  The beach and water were both great, as well as our dolphin encounter portion.  Prayers for the family of the deceased lady.  Just horrible.

18 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

The sound system on the boat was poor at best.  We couldn't understand any of the "who lives in which house" tour info, much less the safety info.

It's a combination of the loud engines, vibrations and the wind created by the moving vessel.   I have the same problem sometimes when the Royal Captain makes his announcements, especially when one is at the pool.  However, I can hear the CD loud and clear.😜

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

It's a combination of the loud engines, vibrations and the wind created by the moving vessel.   I have the same problem sometimes when the Royal Captain makes his announcements, especially when one is at the pool.  However, I can hear the CD loud and clear.😜

I don't think so.  We were right by a speaker and couldn't hear what was being said.  And the boat was not moving fast at all.

16 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

She didn't say. I only asked her if anyone on the Wish was involved in the ferry sinking and she said all the Blue Lagoon ones were cancelled. But if they also use similar ferries, probably so.

Blue Lagoon has all their own boats,. I've taken them  4times so far, been to Pearl Island twice and they have different boats.   Pearl is closer into the port and Blue Lagoon a few miles our further.