Hello from a long time missing WS sailor

Petoonya

I'm back, and booked for 15 days Med, Barcelona to Athens in late March 2023 on Legend. Have done the Mediterranean in April and the weather was perfection, and will see how things go this time. Eager to get on a ship again so doubt much will disappoint.

My dear husband, who I cruised with for 40 years passed away in a tragic way March 2023, and it's taken me a bit to stand up straight again. But moving along with a lot of loving support and very eager to be crui sing on WS again. Such deals for solos in the last several months from the WS Guardian Angel.

Have always done independent tours when cruising, but this time guess will stick with WS's own. Extended my trip on both ends.

Anyone here have solo  experience on WS?

It's good to be back. Hello to all the beautiful souls who've helped me  enormously in the past. Hope to bend your ears in the upcoming months.

Fondly........Nancy

• Like 7

Welcome back Nancy! I am so sorry to hear about your husband. You are very brave and I wish you only “smooth sailing” ahead. 

We did Lisbon to Barcelona to Rome, around Sicily and back to Rome in September 2018. It was delightful and our weather was wonderful. I bet yours will be just as lovely. Some of those smaller stops in the Med can be a walk about on your own just to explore the sights, the people, the shops and restaurants whether you’re a party of one or six. You will find your way.

I know the wonderful crew on WS will welcome you back with open arms.

Welcome home!

—Tina

5 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I'm back, and booked for 15 days Med, Barcelona to Athens in late March 2023 on Legend. Have done the Mediterranean in April and the weather was perfection, and will see how things go this time. Eager to get on a ship again so doubt much will disappoint.

My dear husband, who I cruised with for 40 years passed away in a tragic way March 2023, and it's taken me a bit to stand up straight again. But moving along with a lot of loving support and very eager to be crui sing on WS again. Such deals for solos in the last several months from the WS Guardian Angel.

Have always done independent tours when cruising, but this time guess will stick with WS's own. Extended my trip on both ends.

Anyone here have solo  experience on WS?

It's good to be back. Hello to all the beautiful souls who've helped me  enormously in the past. Hope to bend your ears in the upcoming months.

Fondly........Nancy

You have my heartfelt condolences. My husband passed away two years ago this week. It was also unexpected. He was my Windstar cruising partner for 20 years. I knew that he would want me to keep on cruising. I have since joined a high school friend whom I hadn't seen in 50 years on Sicilian Splendors and my daughter on the circumnavigation of Iceland. It was a WS first for both of them and they loved their cruises. There were moments of sadness for me, but I loved adding new WS memories. Wishing you the very best.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Your French Polynesia knowledge and recommendations have been such a help to so many, including us. My hope is that you will find others who are on the same path as you, who can help you navigate your way when cruising solo. I also hope that you will feel his spirit with you on your future cruises.

So sorry to hear of your terrible loss. I hope that you can keep your memories alive. For me memories keep my spirits up. I can reach back and have an instant smile. Do what is best for you in the moment to keep going. Brave to be back with WS, where your memories are so recent and precious. The best to you. 

My condolences on your loss.

I've been solo on some Windstar cruises because my husband wasn't interested in the itineraries. Two were ocean crossings. There usually aren't many solos, but the passengers were friendly and I had plenty of socializing. 

On Windsurf this fall, I noticed that the daily program had a gathering for solos listed most evenings. That's the first time I've seen that. My husband was with me on that cruise so I don't know how those went.

When solo, I've usually either done Windstar excursions or explored the port on my own. A few times, a couple had similar interests and we explored a port together - had the best time in Madera doing that.

Petoonya, so sorry for your loss.  I lost my husband in April of this year, and like you, I am not through seeing the world.  I went on a river cruise in August with an old friend, and I am going with my sisters, I think on the same cruise in reverse that you are going on, in May.  I haven't ventured out on a cruise as a solo yet, but I think I could.  It is easy to meet people on the small cruises, and Windstar travelers are so congenial, I think you will be fine.  There will be moments when you are sad, but that is ok.  It will get easier.  I was wondering what happened to you, as you always provided such good information.  Blessings to you and may your travels bring you joy.

• Like 1

Oh, Nancy.  I am so sorry; I remember fondly what good care you took of your husband when we were in the South Pacific last August. Our excursion on H2O Bora Bora was the highlight of our cruise. It is encouraging to see you are willing to give it a go on your own in the Med. I have also booked a solo voyage next November as John doesn’t want to do too many more long haul flights to far flung places. Perhaps our paths will cross again and I would enjoy that very much.  Your friend, Jo

Thanks so much everyone. You're replies make me weep. A hello to everyone and a big hug, and especially those dear folks I've cruised with. Bill did not want to be here anymore and decided to leave this world. Some of you helped him through our last cruise- especially one dear soul who even helped him play gin rummy. 🙂 (I'll write soon.)

We did our first WS cruise 35 years ago on one of the first sailings of Windsong to Tahiti.

What a privilege it is to be able to continue to be spoiled by WS- the staff, ships and life on board makes all of our hearts sing.

Love to you all.

• Like 3

@Petoonya I'm very sorry to hear about your sudden loss. Surely you have had a difficult time, but I hope your memories will be a blessing to you. 

I can't add to the solo sailing experience, other than we have met many solo travelers over the years on Windstar and enjoyed their company. You already know how friendly all of the staff and the guests are. Safe travels and welcome back.

I'm so sorry for your loss, @Petoonya. I think it shows a lot of courage and resilience to get back to sea in this new season you find yourself in.

I am taking my first WS cruise on Legend in mid-February, Civitavecchia to Barcelona, and I hope to write a live(ish) review. Like you, I will be an "independent traveler" (have never liked the term solo, so I made my own). I'll be sure to give honest feedback of my "IT" Legend experience!

• Like 3

Oh @Petoonya I am SO sorry!  I just got done sending you a message and then hopped on this board and saw your note. That is truly heartbreaking. You have been so helpful to my husband and I when we first sailed on Windstar to celebrate our anniversary.  I only hope the decades of amazing trips with your husband bring you joy and gratitude. So glad to see you sailing again!  

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 3:02 PM, Petoonya said:

Bill did not want to be here anymore and decided to leave this world. Some of you helped him through our last cruise- especially one dear soul who even helped him play gin rummy.

Oh no.  That sounds hauntingly similar to my situation.  I hope not, but I see you're in Oregon.  A couple who had seen us together on our last cruise, stopped me in the hallway, and asked if I was going to be on my own soon.  They told me that they had both lost their spouses recently, and had found each other through friends.  Here I am, a year and a half later, heading out shortly with someone who I met through friends.  Keep your chin up.  I'm not nearly as brave as you are.  Couldn't do it on my own.  Good luck!

On 11/25/2023 at 7:35 AM, Petoonya said:

....Anyone here have solo  experience on WS?....

Not personally, but on our Star Pride cruise, a couple of weeks ago, we noticed some solo travellers appeared to have met informally....or it may have been through a get together, we don't know for sure. On one evening we noticed the entertainment manager hosting them for dinner, which we thought was a lovely touch from her. They were located right next to our table, no idea if it was a one-off arrangement but we certainly saw those solo travellers together a few times including once off the ship. 

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1