your most memorable CCL Cruise Director moments

havanadaydreaming

Line 'em up folks...what are your most memorable CD moments on Carnival.  

i have a few. 

1.  "butchy baby" on the Breeze, my first sailing.  he mentioned on the announcements to say hi to him when he was out and about.  i took it literally when i saw him on the pier returning from first port.  he actually engaged in conversation which, at the time, surprised me.  

2. Todd on the Spirit.  was very much available to guests at trivia contests and events around the ship.  

3.  Donkey.  For just out and out excellence at Guess that Song and trivia events and interactions.  Plus, he really seemed engaged in helping his fun squad progress.  His asst CD from our cruise was, in fact, promoted to CD fairly recently.   

• Like 1

This goes waaaaaay back.  Bob Hamill did an act with a dummy (puppet not a person).  His wife was also aboard and she did a number with him one night.

We had lunch with Eric Brouman. He was eating lunch by himself on Lido and we said hi and chatted with him.  Cant remember if he asked us or we asked whether he wanted company but in either case we wound up eating our entire lunch with him.  At one point he mentioned that Carnival preferred newbies and not veteran cruisers.  He said he did not feel that way but corporate did.

Jaime Dee high kicking on the atrium bar.  Emma Nixon had some great atrium parties too.

Kirk Benning had the most interesting Q&A session.

For low key good fun, we really enjoyed Chloe on our Journeys cruise on the Miracle.

For high energy fun, the Flying Scotsman and Mike Pack.

For old time muster drill, Dr. E.  He kept me laughing during the insanely long muster drills.  

Eric Brouman was a great CD, I'm not sure his whereabouts now but the "voice from above" is the top of the list.  I like Tyler who I had on the sunrise of the current cast of CD's - great personality and engaging with the guests sortof like Eric B.  

Josh "Big Sexy Cruise Director" Waitzman on the Conquest. He did lectures on WWII and the Titanic tieing directly to Carnival Corp/Cruise Line.  He is my PVP now and is invaluable with his knolege of all the ports and ships.

Dr E made the old style muster drill entertaining!

We actually hung out at Jack’s Shack back in 2016 with Steve and his assistant CD and the playlist cast. We had a table with lots of room and they arrived after it was getting crowded, so we told them they could sit and hang out. We had great conversations! 

Matt of course was so personable and friendly, you could tell he really cared for his guests and their experiences. We sailed during Irma and mom ran out of her meds when our sailing was extended, and he tried to help her find more and followed up to see how she was. 

Chris Williams and his singing talent…just wow! 

• Like 2

John Heald many years ago on Triumph - his bedtime story was hilarious.

Lee Mason - just so personable and friendly. We were sitting at the Center Stage bar on MG last year and Lee walked over and spoke with us for a few minutes. Shortly after that, the headline singer in the show that night came over and talked with us as well.

Chris Williams is amazingly talented.

• Like 2

Random photos of some of the Cruise Directors I've seen on Carnival.  Apologies for any duplicates.

Carnival Magic, Mike D'Auria, November 2023

20231113_103318.thumb.jpg.90239f600a8c3e2f0bf18f34f8ff05b2.jpg

Noelle "NoNo" Jones, January 2020, Carnival Breeze (standing):

IMG_20200123_095413538_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.7f702276ca49f88e8e7b297d16fb657b.jpg

T.J. Partida, Carnival Freedom, November 2019 (on right, in the suit)IMG_20191104_195804961.thumb.jpg.a008ac9762cb1993d83529f3052b2c37.jpg

Mike Pack, Carnival Horizon, January 2019 (on right):

IMG_20190125_103041894(1).thumb.jpg.157066dd9b2e89ff11380a462df91aed.jpg

I’ve got two favorites. First one was early cruise on the Holiday and the first time we saw the Love and Marriage show, hosted by John Heald. We could not possibly have laughed harder and fell in love with this show. Still watch it every cruise. Second was the spoon on a string game that was hosted by Wee Jimmy (Ralph Valente) on the Sensation. WJ was standing at the side as the game started…..when the spoon got to the very senior gentleman his pants wound up dropping completely down…..Never saw a short Scotsman move across the stage so fast spreading his kilt to provide some modesty. It took a good long while for the audience to be settle down again, he had us screaming after this malfunction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tree.critter said:

I’ve got two favorites. First one was early cruise on the Holiday and the first time we saw the Love and Marriage show, hosted by John Heald. We could not possibly have laughed harder and fell in love with this show. Still watch it every cruise. Second was the spoon on a string game that was hosted by Wee Jimmy (Ralph Valente) on the Sensation. WJ was standing at the side as the game started…..when the spoon got to the very senior gentleman his pants wound up dropping completely down…..Never saw a short Scotsman move across the stage so fast spreading his kilt to provide some modesty. It took a good long while for the audience to be settle down again, he had us screaming after this malfunction.

Ah yes! We loved Wee Jimmy! He was hilarious. 

• Like 2

Having cruised since 2000, I have never had a cruise director that made any memorable difference on my cruise experience on any cruise line. I couldn't name one from any of our cruises.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Having cruised since 2000, I have never had a cruise director that made any memorable difference on my cruise experience on any cruise line. I couldn't name one from any of our cruises.

We had a brief, funny exchange with Chloe on the Miracle.  Never told her our names.  She looked us up and sent champagne and strawberries to our cabin.  It was such a pleasant surprise, and led to many interesting conversations with her throughout the cruise.  

Wee Jimmy—sailed with him twice and he actually remembered us the second time. I figure they always claim that but he said, “Oh yes! The husband who had a secret birthday!” My husband is very introverted and thought I had told the cabin steward it was his birthday when we came back to a decorated cabin. He wasn’t happy. We had a conversation a day or so later with Jimmy and I mentioned the room decor.

The first cruise we took with Cookie, his love and marriage show was by far the funniest I have ever seen. The older couple were all in on his Memaw and pawpa schtick and it was great.

Jamie Lee absolutely made my youngest son’s first Carnival cruise. She was just a fun squad member but was running a game for which he got picked. She asked him who brought him on the cruise (he was 8 ) and he said his mom and dad. She asked which was his favorite and without missing a beat he said, “My brother.” She died laughing and from then on, no matter where she saw him or how far away, she would yell, “Jacob!! Where’s your brother??” Across the pool deck, out at port, it just went on. He felt like a celebrity.

On 11/25/2023 at 11:50 AM, pcvtmom said:

Dr. E's announcements and muster drill were the best! I really miss him.

I cruised with him a few times.  The first time he was part of Matt Mitchum's Fun Squad.  Two times after that he was our CD.  He was funny, loved his muster, but he got on my nerves after a while.

my favorite CD moment is when Julie McCoy fell for Barry Corwin but later found out that he was also Rose York, the ships entertainment.

apparently the real Rose became bed-ridden was unable to make the cruise so Barry volunteered to impersonate her while on board, so she wouldn't lose "face".  Barry didn't count on falling for Julie though!   (and seriously, who wouldn't - Julie was adorable and charming!)

• Haha 2