Crystal Serenity December 2nd to December 16th

Emdee

If the cruise is full (and several heading to warmer climates are full during Christmas and into January) then the limited shaded lounges won’t be available unless you get there super early. Hopefully the crew can bring out additional umbrellas if asked. 

There’s still quite a bit of availability on the cruise right before Christmas, so you should be ok on that one. 

Edited by Cruise-y

You ask they listen….

In the serious matter of the jello served at marketplace they replaced the ersatz stuff with the real thing! Apple jello made with juice. I just happened to have mentioned it to the Executive Pastry Chef last night and today was rewarded with a made from scratch jello. 
Yeah! Go Crystal. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

If the cruise is full (and several heading to warmer climates are full during Christmas and into January) then the limited shaded lounges won’t be available unless you get there super early. Hopefully the crew can bring out additional umbrellas if asked. 

There’s still quite a bit of availability on the cruise right before Christmas, so you should be ok on that one. 

Beware the chair hogs who arrive at sun up and claim chairs in the shade that they don't visit till much much later!

2 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

And for shaded loungers don't forget the aft decks.

Roy

• Like 4

On 12/9/2023 at 9:23 AM, Emdee said:

Looking overall across the week I was a bit underwhelmed by the desserts in Waterside. I think Crystal needs to up their game here. It is ok to have apple pie and rhubarb crumble but I think some innovation is needed. The  rest of the Waterside offerings are so excellent that this is a definite down.

Also I noticed that in September the jello served was handmade….meaning made with fresh or unique ingredients like ginger, lychee etc. On this cruise the offerings of jello are grocery store jello. 

The gelato is beyond amazing. The expresso is very yummy. Love the fact that they will serve me just a half scoop….perfect to end my marketplace lunch. 

We thought the desserts in Waterside were all so refined and elegant. They definitely felt more European than American in style - smaller, composed dishes, not super sugary - just how we like it. I certainly wouldn't describe them as underwhelming for us. I can understand that others would want more 'traditional' choices, but they were perfect for us. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, fisherboe said:

We thought the desserts in Waterside were all so refined and elegant. They definitely felt more European than American in style - smaller, composed dishes, not super sugary - just how we like it. I certainly wouldn't describe them as underwhelming for us. I can understand that others would want more 'traditional' choices, but they were perfect for us. 

Totally agree. European-style desserts are much more appealing to us as well. 

6 hours ago, Amber14 said:

Thanks Keith and Emdee. We will probably just sit wherever they seat us and experience as many of the wonderful staff as we can. 

That’s what we did. Many really good serving teams. 

One night we asked for the server from the previous night but it turned out he didn’t have anything available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emdee said:

You ask they listen….

In the serious matter of the jello served at marketplace they replaced the ersatz stuff with the real thing! Apple jello made with juice. I just happened to have mentioned it to the Executive Pastry Chef last night and today was rewarded with a made from scratch jello. 
Yeah! Go Crystal. 

This is an example of what is so special about Crystal.

Thank you for sharing this.  Keep enjoying 

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fisherboe said:

Actually my comment was that while the dining menus have been changed and enhanced the desserts were the same the last few years. Glad you enjoy the desserts. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, May B said:

That’s what we did. Many really good serving teams. 

One night we asked for the server from the previous night but it turned out he didn’t have anything available.

I think like many passengers we tend to get attached to our servers. We have had two different teams on the cruise in September and on this b2b. We came to this cruise already deciding who we would request. One of our choices was on holiday….the other was a recent promotion to Head Waiter so we didn’t get either! However, service is always excellent on Crystal and we are happy to be in Piotr’s station. 

Apparently the same applies to room stewardesses. I remember the chief housekeeper on  symphony telling my DD that they had one passenger who would come on board only when her favourite room stewardess was there. 

It has been pointed out to me that the ability to look after the foibles and eccentricities…..only in the nicest way possible….of its passengers is what makes Crystal stand out from the rest. That is what luxury is to me…not a $200,000 mattress. 

• Like 2

I will eat my hat!

Two new desserts today one of which is a reinvention of an old fave. The Mississippi mud pie is a new and improved version. This is what I was expecting of Crystal. 

The lobster was perfectly cooked and the tenderloin a work of art and cooked to perfection.

IMG_4408.jpeg

IMG_4406.jpeg

Edited by Emdee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Emdee said:

Tastes Chinois salad is my favorite along with the Marketplace salad bar.

Thanks for posting that photo upthread, it made me smile…. The Chinois Chicken Salad is one of Wolfgang Puck’s last remaining contributions to Crystal, and remains a favorite for many.

Vince

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

Thanks for posting that photo upthread, it made me smile…. The Chinois Chicken Salad is one of Wolfgang Puck’s last remaining contributions to Crystal, and remains a favorite for many.

Vince

I was introduced to the Chinois Chicken Salad at the Grill on Symphony years ago. Always enjoyed watching the guys make it in the stainless steel bowl. When I went to Serenity back during the days of Silk, it tasted the same but was about half the size as the one from Symphony. When on the Serenity this past August, I thought the dressing had changed, similar but something was different. It will definitely be on my lunchtime menu in January on the Serenity.

Patty

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I was introduced to the Chinois Chicken Salad at the Grill on Symphony years ago. Always enjoyed watching the guys make it in the stainless steel bowl. When I went to Serenity back during the days of Silk, it tasted the same but was about half the size as the one from Symphony. When on the Serenity this past August, I thought the dressing had changed, similar but something was different. It will definitely be on my lunchtime menu in January on the Serenity.

Patty

I think WP’s recipe includes ginger in the dressing. The Crystal one doesn’t. Yesterday decided to have a quarter helping and still couldn’t finish it. 

3 hours ago, Emdee said:

I think WP’s recipe includes ginger in the dressing. The Crystal one doesn’t. Yesterday decided to have a quarter helping and still couldn’t finish it. 

That's definitely a significant change to the Crystal (WP) recipe...  It used to have chopped pickled ginger in it.

Vince

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

That's definitely a significant change to the Crystal (WP) recipe...  It used to have chopped pickled ginger in it.

Vince

Maybe it was so minuscule I didn’t taste it? 

2 hours ago, Emdee said:

Maybe it was so minuscule I didn’t taste it? 

Your observation is totally consistent with Patty's observation!  It definitely might have changed -- that recipe has been around a LONG time, and there are a variety of reasons it might be evolving.

Vince

On 12/8/2023 at 8:47 AM, LewiLewi said:

Hi Bill,

I will be boarding on Dec. 16 as a solo. I have a few questions:

Is there a solo get together on the first evening of embarkation?

Are the solo cabins on deck 7 quiet? My cabin is toward the end/closer to the elevator rather than front of the ship.

Are there loungers available in the shade, or are they taken quickly?

Any special recommendations for dining/special dishes?

Thank you.

I’m so sorry for the late response. There is so much to do each day, that I’m actually a little exhausted. I’ve never experienced a cruise ship with the variety of quality activities, music, lectures every day.  No need to leave the ship!  On Seabourn, for instance, I often couldn’t find anything to do. 

I agree with Keith’s and Emdee’s excellent responses.

There is a solo table in Waterside on embarkation day, but no separate solo get together.  Perhaps you could suggest it or a Cruise Critic meet up.  

I was in a solo cabin on 7 for one week, but have since moved (paid upgrade) to deck 10.  The move had nothing to do with the solo cabin. IMO the solos are great except for the limited storage. I was in 7034 right next to the elevators and door to the promenade. I heard nothing. 

As others said, loungers have been available.  I prefer the aft deck areas, even with the occasional smoker. It’s sunny, but I also love the deck 13 loungers. Quiet and peaceful and the wonderful waiters find me up there and offer drinks and a nice chat. 

Special dishes?  Well, I love the chocolate dome served in Waterside at embarkation lunch.  But really there are so many fantastic dishes in every venue. The food has been superior to any other line I’ve sailed. 

I’m enjoying myself so much, I extended my stay until Dec 23 (for a total of 3 weeks).  I hope you enjoy your cruise as well!  See you on the heavenly Serenity. 

Bill

IMG_9433.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, CabinBoy2020 said:

I’m so sorry for the late response. There is so much to do each day, that I’m actually a little exhausted. I’ve never experienced a cruise ship with the variety of quality activities, music, lectures every day.  No need to leave the ship!  On Seabourn, for instance, I often couldn’t find anything to do. 

I agree with Keith’s and Emdee’s excellent responses.

There is a solo table in Waterside on embarkation day, but no separate solo get together.  Perhaps you could suggest it or a Cruise Critic meet up.  

I was in a solo cabin on 7 for one week, but have since moved (paid upgrade) to deck 10.  The move had nothing to do with the solo cabin. IMO the solos are great except for the limited storage. I was in 7034 right next to the elevators and door to the promenade. I heard nothing. 

As others said, loungers have been available.  I prefer the aft deck areas, even with the occasional smoker. It’s sunny, but I also love the deck 13 loungers. Quiet and peaceful and the wonderful waiters find me up there and offer drinks and a nice chat. 

Special dishes?  Well, I love the chocolate dome served in Waterside at embarkation lunch.  But really there are so many fantastic dishes in every venue. The food has been superior to any other line I’ve sailed. 

I’m enjoying myself so much, I extended my stay until Dec 23 (for a total of 3 weeks).  I hope you enjoy your cruise as well!  See you on the heavenly Serenity. 

Bill

IMG_9433.jpeg

Bill,

Thank you for replying. I hope that I do meet other solo’s at dinner time. It’s nice to have company.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 11:41 AM, ryndam said:

Use Pan American Pier as the drop off address. Be aware that the luggage drop off is in front of the RCCL ship, not in front of Serenity. 

Also, the Uber drivers cannot pick up immediately in front of the terminal. You’ll have to meet your driver by the street in front of the parking lot. Very strong taxi union here.

Rob

Very helpful! Thank you. We’ll plan on taxi at end of cruise.