Hal Cruising "truths"

objko

On 12/3/2023 at 8:46 AM, 0106 said:

Thanks for your list!

I’d like to add:

Unpack once and explore many ports

Make new friends

One comment on your list, my husband is a survivor of head & neck cancer.  Unfortunately, he has lost the ability to salivate normally and frequently needs to cough and clear his throat.  Not all who cough have a contagious illness.  Eating is difficult for him, we sit at a table for 2 so his challenges swallowing do not bother other guests.

0106...I'm glad some people get this.  It's not a matter of being rude or uppity to want a degree of privacy.  I'm more fortunate than most after a stroke.  I can still walk and talk...mostly.

I might make it through a meal fine with stuttering or stammering, but it's humiliating when it happens.  With just my wife at the table I can relax more and not have to explain to some lovely cruise mates why I don't want to engage in small talk.

HAL is great about this most of the time, but sometimes they put you in time out because you don't want to share a table.  I was told on one occasion I'd have to wait 45 minutes for a table for two at afternoon tea.  Turned out to be 5 minutes.  

Glad your husband still gets out.  I've found over and over again that, as a whole, the most patient and respectful cruisers are on HAL ships.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JCrewz said:

I was told on one occasion I'd have to wait 45 minutes for a table for two at afternoon tea.  Turned out to be 5 minutes.  

Ha ha.....My experience as well!   Almost every time I ask for a table for one in the MDR at dinner I have been told there will be a wait.  When I say "OK, I'll wait" then suddenly a table has become available for me right away!!  🤔

• Like 3

On 12/2/2023 at 8:14 PM, objko said:

We just got back from our longest cruise yet, 48 days on the very cool Noordam, so really got into the rhythm of the ship.  And realized some cruising “truths .  Thought I’d share my Top Ten.  Perhaps you have some?

- Boat hair, don’t care
- Make up, schmake-up
- If an outfit is good enough to bring along, it’s good enough to be worn again, and again
- The ship’s laundry is a value at any price, and better than home
- Cruise ships are not a place for heels, of any kind
- No one is more special than anyone else but some think they are (uh, no, you aren’t)
- Coughing is not cool
- A Table-for-two means a couple wants to eat dinner together, not with all the neighboring tables
- Being nice to the staff shows class
- HAL staff is the GOAT

This...

On 12/3/2023 at 9:46 AM, 0106 said:

Thanks for your list!

I’d like to add:

Unpack once and explore many ports

Make new friends

One comment on your list, my husband is a survivor of head & neck cancer.  Unfortunately, he has lost the ability to salivate normally and frequently needs to cough and clear his throat.  Not all who cough have a contagious illness.  Eating is difficult for him, we sit at a table for 2 so his challenges swallowing do not bother other guests.

Good point, there are valid reasons people prefer two-tops. Our last companions at a table for 6 on a long cruise were delightful people, but I had increasingly-severe hearing loss. I was learning to read lips but I missed most of the conversation and wasn’t a very desirable dining companion.  So we started requesting tables for two through the Accessibility dept.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2023 at 12:14 AM, objko said:

We just got back from our longest cruise yet, 48 days on the very cool Noordam, so really got into the rhythm of the ship.  And realized some cruising “truths .  Thought I’d share my Top Ten.  Perhaps you have some?

- Boat hair, don’t care
- Make up, schmake-up
- If an outfit is good enough to bring along, it’s good enough to be worn again, and again
- The ship’s laundry is a value at any price, and better than home
- Cruise ships are not a place for heels, of any kind
- No one is more special than anyone else but some think they are (uh, no, you aren’t)
- Coughing is not cool
- A Table-for-two means a couple wants to eat dinner together, not with all the neighboring tables
- Being nice to the staff shows class
- HAL staff is the GOAT

Yes, yes, yes...!!

On 12/3/2023 at 10:02 AM, Mary229 said:

thanks for the list😉

Noordam and its sister ships make the table for two awkward.  You are seated so close to the next table you feel obligated to say something.  They really aren’t tables for two.  

They are really a table for 20 (or whatever the number) with gaps in between 🤔

• Like 1

Was flat out refused when we asked for a table for 2 for embarcation day lunch on the Rotterdam Nov 24th. We were told we had to share. We said ok figuring they would seat us with people who were also just coming in for lunch.

They sat us with a couple who were almost finished their mains. It was very awkward, we apologized for interupting their lunch, they were thankfully very gracious, but we sat there for 20 min while they finished their meal before we could flag down a came to the table.  Never went back to the MDR for lunch.

On 12/3/2023 at 7:45 AM, SargassoPirate said:

When that happens, we say good evening and then ignore them the rest of the meal.  If we wanted to share, we'd request a bigger table.  We request a table for two because after many decades we still enjoy each other's company and still have things to talk about. I don't want the pace of my meal interrupted by folks at the next table who may be low talkers, loud talkers, pontificators, zealots, or otherwise annoying.

That’s us, too.  We’re not antisocial by any means, but we don’t take a cruise to make new friends.  I don’t want to have to make the same conversation over and over…”so where are you from? etc.” I know many people are absolutely opposite, and consider meeting new people the best part of a cruise, but for the most part, we prefer “just us.”

• Like 8

On 12/3/2023 at 7:45 AM, SargassoPirate said:

When that happens, we say good evening and then ignore them the rest of the meal.  If we wanted to share, we'd request a bigger table.  We request a table for two because after many decades we still enjoy each other's company and still have things to talk about. I don't want the pace of my meal interrupted by folks at the next table who may be low talkers, loud talkers, pontificators, zealots, or otherwise annoying.

We have had some nice conversations over the years and it is hard to ignore questions when asked by someone about 2 ft from you even if you want to not continue the conversation after saying good evening. 

For sure understand the desire to have an enjoyable dinner for 2 when at a table for 2.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, electro said:

Was flat out refused when we asked for a table for 2 for embarcation day lunch on the Rotterdam Nov 24th. We were told we had to share. We said ok figuring they would seat us with people who were also just coming in for lunch.

They sat us with a couple who were almost finished their mains. It was very awkward, we apologized for interupting their lunch, they were thankfully very gracious, but we sat there for 20 min while they finished their meal before we could flag down a came to the table.  Never went back to the MDR for lunch.

That is so awkward! They try to concentrate everyone in one area, so I can understand that there might not be a 2-top left, but you'd think they would find a better place to seat you.

I always go to the embarkation lunch and sit at a large table and I've never had that problem, so give the embarkation lunch another try. It's a nice quiet start to the cruise, and it's the only day I have lunch in the dining room.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2023 at 6:02 AM, Mary229 said:

thanks for the list😉

Noordam and its sister ships make the table for two awkward.  You are seated so close to the next table you feel obligated to say something.  They really aren’t tables for two.  

Except for those tables where they've increased the space enough to make the gap function like a second walkway. We were assigned a table on our last cruise which felt like sitting in the middle of Times Square. Staff were racing by, often with overloaded trays, on either side of us. We sat with our shoulders curved in and ate as fast as we could! It was not relaxing. Needless to say we informed then we were not returning to that table. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lupaglupa said:

Except for those tables where they've increased the space enough to make the gap function like a second walkway. We were assigned a table on our last cruise which felt like sitting in the middle of Times Square. Staff were racing by, often with overloaded trays, on either side of us. We sat with our shoulders curved in and ate as fast as we could! It was not relaxing. Needless to say we informed then we were not returning to that table. 

Yes indeed.  After sitting in those once or twice I actually walked the dining room and picked out some acceptable tables. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We found that a lot of tge 2 tops are right at a serving station. Wait staff sorting trays of food, lids on lids off.

We have had good luck sharing a few times,  others not so much.

Those are actually not a bad table if you intend to linger as usually no one else wants them.  I have been known to sit through two seatings enjoying a very leisurely dinner at those tables.  

We share with strangers at dinner and breakfast only when everyone is aware this is a one time engagement and there is no need to impress. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 3:02 AM, Mary229 said:

thanks for the list😉

HAL isn't the only one to place the two tops close together. I generally don't mind but right after the pandemic it was a bit creepy.

On 12/6/2023 at 5:20 PM, RAS4331 said:

That’s us, too.  We’re not antisocial by any means, but we don’t take a cruise to make new friends.  I don’t want to have to make the same conversation over and over…”so where are you from? etc.” I know many people are absolutely opposite, and consider meeting new people the best part of a cruise, but for the most part, we prefer “just us.”

I travel solo and for my upcoming 3 cruises I have requested a table for 2. It is nice to talk to people. But I like some alone time too

Edited by shadow 123
  • Like 3

On 12/3/2023 at 8:45 AM, SargassoPirate said:

We liked the tables for two - especially on the Prinsendam.  Yes, they are close but if you want to have a brief conversation with the neighbours you can and if you don’t want to no worries.

It’s not the same as a bigger table.  You don’t worry about when the other table arrives, nor when their meal is served and you eat as you see fit.  You don’t have to converse if you don’t want to.  it’ depends on you and them.   We’ve met some lovely people that were next to us.  In fact, on my recent Rotterdam cruise, I sat next to a couple at Club Orange who were on Prinsendam next to us.  It was nice to see them again 😊 

On 12/7/2023 at 2:15 PM, lupaglupa said:

aw yes sitting near the walkways. On my last two cruises on different cruise lines I witness twice a man getting food dumped on them.  The staff walks too fast and carries too much.  

I also do not like the trend of now 2 seaters by the window and them placing two tops in random stupid spots with traffic walking by.  This is why I 98% of the time go to the buffets as the food is hotter and one can get the quantity of whatever item they want.  Also is quieter too.

• Like 1

Just off NS where we had table 201 - a 2-top upstairs to the left all the way to far side by the window. It had a partition shared w/wait station to the left and a 4-top to the right with a reasonable space between. At first, we thought we would be requesting a different table as we thought we would feel like we were Baby in the corner. But it turned out to be a great table- out of traffic pattern but not hidden so servers could not "forget" us and far enough from other tables there was no compulsory conversation. When CO became unbearably cold and on nights we didn't have specialty reservations, this became our preferred dinner spot.

• Like 2