Well "Duh!" item

temple1

We rarely cruised out of Miami and we're recently returned from our first cruise since 2018, sailing out of Miami. I don't know if this is something just in terminal G, or is being added all over, but ........

Why did it take so long for them to adopt luggage carousels like at airports? What a pleasant surprise, almost better than the new immigration and customs process. 

Do you have an "it's about time" item?

Edited by temple1
  • Like 1

My "Well, duh" moment was figuring out I should never set my luggage out on the last night.  Separating from your luggage means you have to find it again ... carousel, zones, floors ... it's all chaotic.  Took me exactly one cruise to figure out a better way.  

Your luggage is on wheels.  If you're able-bodied, take it off the ship yourself.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, temple1 said:

It was always annoying wading through all the luggage, a suitcase here, duffle there then getting them all together. With the carousel my luggage comes to me. It also seems to be quicker and less chaotic.

Your luggage along with 5,000 other people's luggage. 

How is it even done?  Is everyone's luggage put onto the same carousel?  Is the carousel big enough to hold 5,000 - 10,000 pieces of luggage?  Is the carousel big enough for 5,000 people to gather around to find their luggage?  Or are there different carousels for each zone?

Edited by time4u2go

21 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Your luggage along with 5,000 other people's luggage. 

How is it even done?  Is everyone's luggage put onto the same carousel?  Is the carousel big enough to hold 5,000 - 10,000 pieces of luggage?  Is the carousel big enough for 5,000 people to gather around to find their luggage?  Or are there different carousels for each zone?

The luggage was on 2 separate carousels and they were much longer than the ones in most airports. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, temple1 said:

We rarely cruised out of Miami and we're recently returned from our first cruise since 2018, sailing out of Miami. I don't know if this is something just in terminal G, or is being added all over, but ........

Why did it take so long for them to adopt luggage carousels like at airports? What a pleasant surprise, almost better than the new immigration and customs process. 

Do you have an "it's about time" item?

I had this setup for a CCL Horizon but not for Celebration because they used bigger terminal.

I think the smaller terminals use airport-like setup. I saw tag numbers mixed up and bags in piles that made no sense.

I prefer the luggage lined up on floor and they still do that in bigger terminals.

the best upgrade to process is facial recognition.

5 hours ago, temple1 said:

The terminal and carousel were built to handle the luggage load from Oasis Class ships. 

5 hours ago, yogimax said:

I don't know.  It seems pretty easy to find one's luggage on the floor based on departure number.  

What's the advantage to a carousel?

Agree, carousels seem like a pain and you can wait forever.  I'd rather just find my bag and go.

A carousel would not make it easier at all.  It's so easy to find your zone # and just go there and grab bags.  38 cruises so far and never had any issue with retrieving bags.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, temple1 said:

With the carousel my luggage comes to me. 

Or not.  In March our luggage never showed up.  And we weren’t the only ones.  They kept saying everything was out.  I noticed a number of pieces of luggage on the wrong carousels. Many people had to go looking at all the carousels.   We had to leave without it.  I filled out a claim form but when I called back, no one knew anything about it.  They did find the luggage and I was asked if I wanted to pay to get it back or forfeit it.  Seriously??   I did pay (and filed an insurance claim).  Guess what!  I got it before the ship came back from the sailing.  So, not a fan of carousels there.

Erika

• Thanks 1

As others, much prefer have my luggage waiting for me in the designated zone, rather than jockeying for a spot to stand at the carousel, having to look at everyone's bags as they come, and having to lunge and extract the heavy bag off of the carousel. 

• Like 1