Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

22 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

We are doing the 35-night January Ventura cruise next year, and I've lost count of the number of 'regulars' who have told me that when New Orleans is your first US port of call, as it will be for us, book an early tour to minimise the immigration wait, followed by some horror stories.

I realise this might not be easy/possible for you so I wish you well with your ordeal and hope that you are able to post that I was wrong and that the port is now a model of efficiency 🤞

I think @Selbourne's first port of call is Port Canaveral, not New Orleans, so he not have to suffer the immigration woes you refer to with that port.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mrsgoggins said:

We are doing the 35-night January Ventura cruise next year, and I've lost count of the number of 'regulars' who have told me that when New Orleans is your first US port of call, as it will be for us, book an early tour to minimise the immigration wait, followed by some horror stories.

I realise this might not be easy/possible for you so I wish you well with your ordeal and hope that you are able to post that I was wrong and that the port is now a model of efficiency 🤞

Thankfully it’s not our first US port, so we won’t have the immigration issue. We have that joy tomorrow in Port Canaveral and I’m on an early tour - if I get to go on it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, arlowood said:

I think @Selbourne's first port of call is Port Canaveral, not New Orleans, so he not have to suffer the immigration woes you refer to with that port.

I'm so pleased to hear that because whilst not wanting to be a 'Debbie Downer', forewarned and all that, good news.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thankfully it’s not our first US port, so we won’t have the immigration issue. We have that joy tomorrow in Port Canaveral and I’m on an early tour - if I get to go on it. 

I wish you all the luck in the world. I've had my share of issues with US Immigration in the past - an uncomfortable 2 hour wait to enter Orlando airport about 6 years ago, followed by being taken to a side room, made me vow never to enter via that airport again, and I haven't, despite flying into the USA every year. 

Just now, mrsgoggins said:

I wish you all the luck in the world. I've had my share of issues with US Immigration in the past - an uncomfortable 2 hour wait to enter Orlando airport about 6 years ago, followed by being taken to a side room, made me vow never to enter via that airport again, and I haven't, despite flying into the USA every year. 

As I’ve said before, for a supposedly advanced country, they are decidedly third world in how they deal with some issues. I am anticipating issues, not least because of the added complication that we have of me going on a tour and my wife not. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

As we are in New Orleans for 2 full days, I will most likely try the trams at a time when I’m off the ship on my own. Was the tour that you went on a P&O organised one or something you found independently? I don’t believe that there are any accessible tours like that on our cruise. 

It was a P&O one and since it was a large 45 plus seater with wheelchair access, it was priced the same as an AB excursion, there were several coaches 2 of which had wheelchair spaces. Sorry I cannot remember its name, but it was essentially a low walking tour, mainly scenic views from the coach. It did take us round the main streets of the city as well as the urban surroundings, and as we did it on day one that was quite useful.

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

As I’ve said before, for a supposedly advanced country, they are decidedly third world in how they deal with some issues. I am anticipating issues, not least because of the added complication that we have of me going on a tour and my wife not. 

As correct as your thoughts maybe, be careful what you say, you never know who’s reading this😁

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

As correct as your thoughts maybe, be careful what you say, you never know who’s reading this😁

Ooh, do you think Homeland Security and the TSA have now got his card marked? 🤭

Don't fret Selbourne lad, a full cavity search isn't anything to write home about!😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

18 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Not because she was the smallest ship of the 5 in port (that’s a positive in my eyes) but because she looks so shabby on the outside compared to all the other ships in port.

IMG_1152.jpeg

Glad you at least got to explore some of Nassau! 

I visited Nassau for the first time last Feb and it was heaving. I’d actively avoid itineraries with it in the future! It was actually the busiest day in the ports history. We had:

- Wonder of the Seas (~6500 pax)

- Harmony of the Seas (~6500 pax)

- Carnival Mardi Gras (~6500 pax)

- MSC Meraviglia (~5500 pax)

- Celebrity Reflection (~3000 pax)

- Celebrity Beyond (~3000pax)

So 31k pax on average (I’m not quoting full capacity)

I also visited the Margaritaville hotel for the day (it’s in your photo). Super expensive for only getting access to a sunbed and pool/beach access! 

Here are some photos I got of us leaving the busy port…it was quite the sail away!

And a couple from the beautiful sunrise 

6C3078B5-7CBF-4378-9549-259F5808B092.jpeg

CE4BC143-7BF6-4DA2-8D2B-C0A140A98F8D.jpeg

IMG_1044.jpeg

275EB4A8-C7C5-41BA-ABF6-BED72530F95B.jpeg

85128A3C-B346-4596-B150-EE172C7F22FA.jpeg

Edited by Glitterati

9 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Mrsgoggins   we are also on this cruise and that’s what we will be doing booking a early excursion hopefully.

• Like 1

Day 16 - Thursday 18th January - Sea Day

A cloudy but humid sea day as we slowly plodded along at 10 knots towards Port Canaveral, which will be our first US port of call. There was a talk on Nat King Cole at 1030, but we weren’t overly bothered, so our first visit to the theatre was for the 1130 port talk on San Juan, Puerto Rico. 

The MDR lunch menu didn’t particularly appeal so we went to the Glasshouse, which is the only place on the ship that is always nice and cool (more on air conditioning later). I had the sliders this time (mini burgers) and my wife had the small plates. We shared a cheese plate afterwards. The cheese plates in the Glasshouse are really excellent. We both enjoyed a glass of wine, the Money Spider for me and a Peruvian Malbec for Lady S. Lunch finished just in time for the 1415 Space Talk by William Joyce, this time on the Apollo moon missions. Once again, very good. 

It was now mid afternoon on the day before arrival into the US and I had still heard absolutely nothing from the so called ‘Customer Service Manager’, who I had been told for the last 3 days was going to contact me to discuss our immigration issue (me going on an early tour and my wife being unable to get off the ship unaided). I was now getting annoyed at the complete lack of contact, so went down to the shore excursions desk and said that I had now lost my patience, had no confidence that my wife wouldn’t be left in an impossible situation, so I now had no choice but to cancel my excursion to the Kennedy Space Centre. The excursions lady completely understood and assured me that I would get a full refund which, in fairness to her, was processed within a few hours. 

As mentioned yesterday, Savio, the assistant food and beverage manager, had assured me that if our MDR table move was possible, a card would be delivered to our cabin confirming the new table number. Needless to say, this never happened either (bit of a trend here). I went to reception to ask if they could contact him to find out what was happening, but thinking on my feet I asked if they had our table number on their system. They did and it was the new table, so we would take our chances and go to that table for dinner. 

I am sorry to say that I have now formed a very firm opinion that the officers on this ship are far too self-important and status conscious to have to waste their time dealing with us lowly passengers. What with the lack of engagement at the drinks party, the further lack of engagement at the Caribbean lunch (and nobody even bothering to say a few words), the fact that I wasn’t allowed to talk to the F&B manager and his assistant never confirmed what he said he’d do and, finally, a Customer Service Manager who is clearly not focussed on customer service, what other opinion am I to form? 

As I was behind on my daily exercise regime, I then proceeded to do 5 laps of the promenade deck. After a few laps there suddenly started to be a very loud noise at the aft of the ship, as if there was a loud diesel tug alongside at full power, and this was accompanied by smoke rising from below. Not a lot of smoke but enough to notice. After a few minutes of this the ship stopped completely, but the noise and smoke continued. A little while later the engines started again and we started to change course to port. I was concerned that we might have a problem and be heading to Miami, but normal service was resumed later, and we now seem to be OK. 

At 5pm we had the second classical piano recital in the Playhouse, which was just as impressive as the first. 

For pre dinner drinks we went to the Crows Nest. It was unbearably warm, as every customer entering was commenting. According to the drinks waiter, the air conditioning is broken and has been for 3 days. I’m sorry to have to say this, but I fear that Aurora is starting to feel her age. They seem incapable of maintaining a pleasant temperature in all areas of this ship. Very few areas are ‘just right’. Many are too warm and, if anything, the Glasshouse is a little too cool. This is going to become even more problematic when we eventually reach the Caribbean. 

I don’t wish to tempt fate, but I have a horrible feeling that we might have some Covid on board. Aside from the fact that quite a few passengers seem to have persistent coughs, there has been a noticeable step up in handrail cleaning, and as we were heading down to dinner there was a guy in overalls spraying disinfectant at the other end of the corridor. I asked him what he was spraying for and he said Covid. I asked if there were Covid cases in our corridor and I guess he was never going to give me a straight answer, but I got an answer that is a dreadful phrase that has crept in since the pandemic “No Sir, this is the new normal” 🙄

Our new dinner table is much better. We are on our own on an 8 top table at the opposite end of the MDR to where we were before, which has alleviated a couple of the issues that we had. It’s busier, noisier and warmer, but we are facing a large panoramic window overlooking the aft of the ship. Unfortunately this won’t be of much benefit on this cruise as it will always be dark well before 8pm. Our new waiters seem fine and the formal night dinner was very nice. Most importantly of all, my wife felt far more comfortable with the new table for two and the new position. 

At 10pm we attended the second performance of The Lavelles in the theatre. My wife enjoyed it more than me, but I was distracted by the couple chatting in front of me and the woman behind me who thought she was at the karaoke session 🙄. A late night lap of the promenade deck confirmed that the dreadful noise and smoke had stopped and we were proceeding as normal. I believe that we might be arriving in Port Canaveral as early as 3.30am, so I suspect that we shall be woken early. Tomorrow Port Canaveral and the joys of US immigration. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 23

I’m glad you eventually got the table situation sorted out. It is just a shame that you have had to do all the chasing to achieve that. The customer service does sound really poor re this and the excursions situation.

Hopefully some of the issues settle down now, they get the air con onboard sorted and you can both enjoy your cruise.

• Like 5

I’m sorry selbourne you had to cancel your excursion and you have not been getting your answers of promise to get back to you especially the excursion team, at least now you can be with mrs selbourne and go ashore together to explore.

Pleased you got your table move sorted out 👍

• Like 4

Oh dear. Customers services always used to be so much better on the ship than land side. The table situation was not handled well but at least you have been able to move to a more comfortable location. The great shame is you having to miss your trip, but i suspect that is a wise decision.
I always think that the way an issue is handled is the true indicator of how valued one feels, and by the sound of it, they have failed you miserably in several occasions.😢

I’m not at all surprised cleaning etc has been stepped up prior to entering the US - let’s hope the extra effort (which should be ongoing) is due to that a not an up-tick of you know what, but…….

I hope all goes smoothly with immigration.

Thanks again for all your posts.

• Like 10

Not that it is any excuse but I think that one of the reasons for the poor customer service is that this cruise is at the end of the season and many of the crew will be leaving the ship when she gets back to Southampton, possibly never to return.

@Selbourne So sorry you're having so many issues Selbourne. Whilst I very much enjoy your daily posts I can't help feeling from your comments that this cruise is turning into a test of endurance. I hope the US immigration process isn't as bad as you are anticipating. Good luck. Jane xx

• Like 7

I'm sorry that the cruise has been a disappointment in so many respects. It sounds as if both the ship and the crew have gone downhill since I was last on her just over a year ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

A cloudy but humid sea day as we slowly plodded along at 10 knots towards Port Canaveral, which will be our first US port of call. There was a talk on Nat King Cole at 1030, but we weren’t overly bothered, so our first visit to the theatre was for the 1130 port talk on San Juan, Puerto Rico. 

The MDR lunch menu didn’t particularly appeal so we went to the Glasshouse, which is the only place on the ship that is always nice and cool (more on air conditioning later). I had the sliders this time (mini burgers) and my wife had the small plates. We shared a cheese plate afterwards. The cheese plates in the Glasshouse are really excellent. We both enjoyed a glass of wine, the Money Spider for me and a Peruvian Malbec for Lady S. Lunch finished just in time for the 1415 Space Talk by William Joyce, this time on the Apollo moon missions. Once again, very good. 

It was now mid afternoon on the day before arrival into the US and I had still heard absolutely nothing from the so called ‘Customer Service Manager’, who I had been told for the last 3 days was going to contact me to discuss our immigration issue (me going on an early tour and my wife being unable to get off the ship unaided). I was now getting annoyed at the complete lack of contact, so went down to the shore excursions desk and said that I had now lost my patience, had no confidence that my wife wouldn’t be left in an impossible situation, so I now had no choice but to cancel my excursion to the Kennedy Space Centre. The excursions lady completely understood and assured me that I would get a full refund which, in fairness to her, was processed within a few hours. 

As mentioned yesterday, Savio, the assistant food and beverage manager, had assured me that if our MDR table move was possible, a card would be delivered to our cabin confirming the new table number. Needless to say, this never happened either (bit of a trend here). I went to reception to ask if they could contact him to find out what was happening, but thinking on my feet I asked if they had our table number on their system. They did and it was the new table, so we would take our chances and go to that table for dinner. 

I am sorry to say that I have now formed a very firm opinion that the officers on this ship are far too self-important and status conscious to have to waste their time dealing with us lowly passengers. What with the lack of engagement at the drinks party, the further lack of engagement at the Caribbean lunch (and nobody even bothering to say a few words), the fact that I wasn’t allowed to talk to the F&B manager and his assistant never confirmed what he said he’d do and, finally, a Customer Service Manager who is clearly not focussed on customer service, what other opinion am I to form? 

As I was behind on my daily exercise regime, I then proceeded to do 5 laps of the promenade deck. After a few laps there suddenly started to be a very loud noise at the aft of the ship, as if there was a loud diesel tug alongside at full power, and this was accompanied by smoke rising from below. Not a lot of smoke but enough to notice. After a few minutes of this the ship stopped completely, but the noise and smoke continued. A little while later the engines started again and we started to change course to port. I was concerned that we might have a problem and be heading to Miami, but normal service was resumed later, and we now seem to be OK. 

At 5pm we had the second classical piano recital in the Playhouse, which was just as impressive as the first. 

For pre dinner drinks we went to the Crows Nest. It was unbearably warm, as every customer entering was commenting. According to the drinks waiter, the air conditioning is broken and has been for 3 days. I’m sorry to have to say this, but I fear that Aurora is starting to feel her age. They seem incapable of maintaining a pleasant temperature in all areas of this ship. Very few areas are ‘just right’. Many are too warm and, if anything, the Glasshouse is a little too cool. This is going to become even more problematic when we eventually reach the Caribbean. 

I don’t wish to tempt fate, but I have a horrible feeling that we might have some Covid on board. Aside from the fact that quite a few passengers seem to have persistent coughs, there has been a noticeable step up in handrail cleaning, and as we were heading down to dinner there was a guy in overalls spraying disinfectant at the other end of the corridor. I asked him what he was spraying for and he said Covid. I asked if there were Covid cases in our corridor and I guess he was never going to give me a straight answer, but I got an answer that is a dreadful phrase that has crept in since the pandemic “No Sir, this is the new normal” 🙄

Our new dinner table is much better. We are on our own on an 8 top table at the opposite end of the MDR to where we were before, which has alleviated a couple of the issues that we had. It’s busier, noisier and warmer, but we are facing a large panoramic window overlooking the aft of the ship. Unfortunately this won’t be of much benefit on this cruise as it will always be dark well before 8pm. Our new waiters seem fine and the formal night dinner was very nice. Most importantly of all, my wife felt far more comfortable with the new table for two and the new position. 

At 10pm we attended the second performance of The Lavelles in the theatre. My wife enjoyed it more than me, but I was distracted by the couple chatting in front of me and the woman behind me who thought she was at the karaoke session 🙄. A late night lap of the promenade deck confirmed that the dreadful noise and smoke had stopped and we were proceeding as normal. I believe that we might be arriving in Port Canaveral as early as 3.30am, so I suspect that we shall be woken early. Tomorrow Port Canaveral and the joys of US immigration. 

I am aware that you are reluctant, but feel it could be time to play your joker!

Live blog!

I am still in trouble from the illness picked up on that cruise, 2 courses of anti biotics later, I have still got a barking and reaching cough and still producing,

Edited by mercury7289
addition

20 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

We too have had New Orleans as our first entry into the US and booked a walking tour to be higher up the pecking order for immigration. It was a reasonably civilised process and I can't remember any horror stories circulating. It's always been the perceived wisdom for the US to book an excursion to smooth the immigration process. Touch wood we have never had a bad immigration experience at a USA cruise port although we have read of plenty of horror stories. I must admitted that we skipped lunch to join the queue to get tickets for the queue for the NY Manhattan terminal. It has been said that P&O avoids the US Virgin islands unless immigration has previously been cleared due of previous complaints about immigration.

Edited by Bill Y
  • Like 2

As you know Selbourne, my wife depends a great deal on me, as does your wife on you, and we are both singing from the same hymn sheet when we say their comfort and safety is paramount, more important than anything else.  It's not asking much to expect a little consideration from those crew members who have it in their power to help you achieve that, to do so.  I really do feel that you both have been treated appallingly so far. 

The state of the ship also makes me think that her days may be numbered.

Our first cruise on Aurora is in September next year, selected more than anything for the itinerary, but if the experience of life onboard is anything like yours, I fear we will be thinking again. 

I do hope that things improve for you and that the immigration process today goes more smoothly than you anticipate, and that you both get to do something together. 

Once off the ship, I would be tempted to conduct a reccie in the area where tours are leaving from, to establish if KSC have their own buses waiting to take passengers who haven't pre-booked, to the centre. I would firmly expect those buses to be wheelchair accessible. Yes, it would be too late, and possibly financially restrictive for you to then take an ad-hoc tour, but if it was me, I would use that fact as ammunition in a complaint about the lack of accessible transport provided on behalf of P&O.

I await your next post with anticipation.

• Like 10

Looks like Selbourne is in port with quite a few beasts!

Allure of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, Carnival Victory and Disney Wish! That will be a fun sail away! 

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

@Selbourne.

With US security if you have a wheelchair you should be directed to the disability line and if not ask because it saves you a lot of time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Our current Azura experience is very different to Aurora. At lunch the first day at a table for two we asked the waiter if we coul have the same table every night. Arranged within minutes for 6.30pm nd has worked well. Captain walks around and poses for photos, cocktail party in Atrium, as it used to be. Constant temperatures throughout the ship. Food very good, with dishes of fresh veg left on table and extras if wanted of mains.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

As you know Selbourne, my wife depends a great deal on me, as does your wife on you, and we are both singing from the same hymn sheet when we say their comfort and safety is paramount, more important than anything else.  It's not asking much to expect a little consideration from those crew members who have it in their power to help you achieve that, to do so.  I really do feel that you both have been treated appallingly so far. 

The state of the ship also makes me think that her days may be numbered.

Our first cruise on Aurora is in September next year, selected more than anything for the itinerary, but if the experience of life onboard is anything like yours, I fear we will be thinking again. 

I do hope that things improve for you and that the immigration process today goes more smoothly than you anticipate, and that you both get to do something together. 

Once off the ship, I would be tempted to conduct a reccie in the area where tours are leaving from, to establish if KSC have their own buses waiting to take passengers who haven't pre-booked, to the centre. I would firmly expect those buses to be wheelchair accessible. Yes, it would be too late, and possibly financially restrictive for you to then take an ad-hoc tour, but if it was me, I would use that fact as ammunition in a complaint about the lack of accessible transport provided on behalf of P&O.

I await your next post with anticipation.

Well said TigerB. I agree with you completely. I think Lord and Lady S have been treated with a total lack of care, interest, and empathy. Such a shame. I do hope it improves for them. Jane xx

• Like 8