Would you pay extra for speciality dining or stay with main dining?

Our plan for the next cruise (12 night) is primarily use the MDR.  We did upgrade to specialty dining twice, both for lunch - once at Chops, the other at Giovanni's.

Never have and don't think I ever will. I do have certain foods I hunt for while in port though. Stewed Cowsfeet, Sea Turtle, Jerk or Saltfish Fritters in Grand Cayman, Gibnut in Belize, Seafood Cerviche in Ensenada, Plato Tipico or beleadas in Roatan...local as I can find. Food on ship is fine. I also don't bring long pants or any button up shirts on vacation, so fancy dress up places are not my thing.

13 hours ago, wreckem2013 said:

People spend a fortune on drink packages not sure why people don’t see the dining packages the same way.

If a ship has 4 or more different specialty restaurants I always get the UDP.  3 or less I just do a 3 night package.

Because they are TOTALLY different in concept obviously !

Without a drink package , If you want an alcoholic beverage you will PAY for it

Without a dining package , if you want food , you still pick and choose where you will eat.... (included in your fare)

Cheers

• Like 8

11 hours ago, time4u2go said:

It sounds like of people are doing exactly what the cruise line hopes they will do.

You hit the nail on the head.

Eventually , phasing out of free "traditional dining" is on the way out.

There will still be free options , buffets etc. , but not a dining hall style

JMHO

Cheers

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

You hit the nail on the head.

Eventually , phasing out of free "traditional dining" is on the way out.

There will still be free options , buffets etc. , but not a dining hall style

JMHO

Cheers

I stated this a few years back, that I thought that eventually the only included food will be the buffet (and the smaller places like Promenade Cafe).

Well, the suggestion that RCCL may go to only the buffet included could be right.  However, the other lines seem to be adding included casual dining spots as well as keeping their Mdr menus.  Each line will do what they think their target market will support.

15 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I stated this a few years back, that I thought that eventually the only included food will be the buffet (and the smaller places like Promenade Cafe).

To me the writing on the wall could not be any clearer on this one . It will start with revamping 1 level of the MDR into possibly several new venues , citing of course "Due to the overwhelming demand from cruisers to have more (specialty) offerings we are pleased to announce ...."

Note : I have been wrong before !

Cheers  

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

To me the writing on the wall could not be any clearer on this one . It will start with revamping 1 level of the MDR into possibly several new venues , citing of course "Due to the overwhelming demand from cruisers to have more (specialty) offerings we are pleased to announce ...."

Note : I have been wrong before !

Cheers  

Don't forget. "To enhance your cruise experience....".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I used to be all-in on specialty dining and literally never went to the MDR for years.  Now, I'm basically the opposite.

I am a food enthusiast (I HATE the term "foodie"!).  And I will travel great lengths and not blink an eye at a cost for a unique or exceptional meal.  That's not to say I don't love basic food as well.  The thing is, I don't find the specialty dining to really be all that special anymore.  There isn't a specialty meal on a Royal, Celebrity, Carnival or NCL ship that I now find to be anything but a pale reflection and far inferior version of that same meal on shore.

At the same time, I have learned that there is always something satisfying in the MDR.  Sure, on occasion I've gotten something and thought "that's not so great".  But it's always very easy and very fast to have something else brought out.  

I now am and MDR guy. I'll spend my dining $$ when I'm on shore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I agree that specialty dining for lunch is one of the few bargains left anywhere on Royal.  I hope nobody from headquarters reads this....LOL...but the lunch specialty dining is still a bargain....especially with the recent sales (which have now ended).

I agree but I'm whispering this answer so HQ doesn't hear me…..we enjoy lunch on sea days 🤫

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, wreckem2013 said:

not sure why people don’t see the dining packages the same way.

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

Because they are TOTALLY different in concept

I feel like the comparison would be more like drinking well/house alcohol vs premium alcohol. 

Cruise fares have gotten so expensive that if we do any cruise beyond our upcoming cruise in March, I would not want to spend any additional money on dining (except maybe a few inexpensive lunches, as have been mentioned, particularly on boarding day).

We've always done the MDR and will continue to eat there - I really like having the same wait staff each night. With early fixed dining, we can grab additional food at another (complimentary) location if we don't like what MDR offered that night.

2 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I agree but I'm whispering this answer so HQ doesn't hear me…..we enjoy lunch on sea days 🤫

Hopefully the MDR lunches won't ALL turn into brunch because I also enjoy them. 

I dont mind the MDR . I always find something to eat , and always gain a few pounds on a cruise.

Last time we were on MTD and we were dispatched to different floors and tables each evening as we showed up early and they sourced an empty two top for us right away. 

All of the wait staff was excellent wherever we ended up and the food was not bad at all . 

With the free diamond drinks and no specialty dining , i guess im a freeloader in RC`s eyes , lol .😁

We always do specialty for embarkation day lunch and usually at least a couple more sea day lunches as well. I agree they are the best value for specialty dining.  We have had the UDP a few times and have it booked for Icon coming up but were OK with MDR for the most part.  I like to do the Hibachi for dinner if they have one and maybe one more if they have the Chops plus +1 in the cruise planner. 

Last say 3-4 cruises we have had the UDP and enjoy it. We are Prime and Diamond so have the lucky charm of a comp'd cruise to use, so getting the UDP is a worth while expense due the free cruise. Also to be honest I think we would get it anyway as we like the more intimate dining rather than the MDR. however it should be each to their own.

We used to get the UDP every cruise.  We really enjoy the specialty dining and we loved being able to skip the MDR altogether.  However, for the past few years, we have come to the conclusion that the UDP is just too much food for us...especially if the cruise has a number of sea days.  Too many big lunches followed by big dinners is just too much.  So, we now get the UDP plus our BOGO's and that has proven to be a perfect combo. Like @Tree_skier we will usually do a specialty restaurant on boarding day just to get away from the roving hordes and pass some time before the rooms are ready,

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

We used to get the UDP every cruise.  We really enjoy the specialty dining and we loved being able to skip the MDR altogether.  However, for the past few years, we have come to the conclusion that the UDP is just too much food for us...especially if the cruise has a number of sea days.  Too many big lunches followed by big dinners is just too much.  So, we now get the UDP plus our BOGO's and that has proven to be a perfect combo. Like @Tree_skier we will usually do a specialty restaurant on boarding day just to get away from the roving hordes and pass some time before the rooms are ready,

Looks like you were over indulging on food when you wrote that.  😄

• Like 1

The cost of specialty dining (except for a lunch here or there) is too much for us.  I can't justify it versus what I can get in the MDR.  Yes, the MDR quality has gone down but not enough to justify the cost of specialty.

Of course, this whole topic is completely dependent on what each person desires in a cruise.

• Like 3

With a group in the past I enjoyed the specialty dining experience, because they would bring servings of every appetizer, every side, and every dessert for the table to share.  Having a plank that span the length of a table for 8 people made it feel like a unique feast.

It is becoming harder to justify the dinner prices.  However, I usually walk away very satisfied with the meals and feel like it delivers a superior dining experience compared to typical land restaurants.

Edited by SUgwoz

Since our last four times dining in a Royal specialty dining venue haven't gone well, we are considering abandoning them all together. But, more likely, we will wade into the water when we re-start cruising Royal Caribbean with more regularity.  The suite level dining has always gone well, but we aren't always in a suite.

Don't worry, Princess has issues too.

In my opinion, yes, specialty dining is worth the extra $.  Better food, service, and atmosphere.

On our upcoming cruise on Harmony in 2 weeks we have reservations for 2 specialties. We have not had a bad meal yet in any of the specialties. We'll eat in the MDR one night to see how it goes and the other nights we'll be in CK.

The food in MDR just is not good. Cold spaghetti and dry, tasteless cake is what comes to mind from my last cruise.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Later this year we hit D+ and will probably be content with the Bogo and a couple of lunches.  Lunch in specialty restaurants was our greatest discovery. It is such a civilized way to start your cruise.  That mad rush at the buffet just seems to put me on edge.

• Like 2

I never find there is enough vegetables in the main dining room so I tend to go for the buffet. It took me a few cruises to ever visit the buffet in the evening but I was pleasantly surprised. Good choice with theme evenings and the meats/vegetables change nightly.

I will usually try 3/4 nights specialty dining (14 night cruises) and it is usually a big step up in quality from the main dining room. The only disappointment has been Chops. 

2 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I am a food enthusiast (I HATE the term "foodie"!).  And I will travel great lengths and not blink an eye at a cost for a unique or exceptional meal.  That's not to say I don't love basic food as well.  The thing is, I don't find the specialty dining to really be all that special anymore.  There isn't a specialty meal on a Royal, Celebrity, Carnival or NCL ship that I now find to be anything but a pale reflection and far inferior version of that same meal on shore.

I could not agree more with your assessment.  When specialty dining first began with supplemental fees of $10 to $25ish, it was a very nice change of pace from the MDR and held value for me in both the quality of food and the elevated level of service.  The price of the experience aligned with my expectations.  Nowadays, at $60 a head  for a barely elevated experience,  not so much.  I have long held the opinion that Chops is possibly the most overrated restaurant at sea.  I've had better steaks at Outback and that red velvet cake that people love is the worst red velvet I've ever tasted, consistently.  If I want to go to a spendy steakhouse, I'll do it on land and get far better quality for my money.

The one thing that I know for sure is that I will never starve on a cruise eating the included food. Fortunately, I'm not a picky eater, but,  I'm pretty careful about what I order in MDR to avoid disappointment with a poorly cooked cheaper cut/grade of protein.

• Like 3