Taking wine onboard

I have read several conflicting posts. Hopefully, someone can clarify the matter. We are sailing on the Allure in a few weeks. We are planning to take one bottle of wine per person on board initially. (We appreciate good wine and love to sit on the balcony and enjoy a glass before dinner.) Can we take additional bottles onboard with us at embarkation and pay the corkage fee, or does RCCL hold the excess until disembarkation?

Since you know only 1 bottle of wine is allowed per adult, why even take bottles you cant board with.

Just leave them in your car or at home rather than worry how to collect a item you got caught with at embarkation. .. idk if they will hold it. I accidentally had a tiny pocket knife and they held it. 

2 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

I'm always surprised when I see someone bring a cheap bottle ($5 - $6) of wne with them and then have to pay a $15 corkage fee??? Am I missing something?

Have you ever seen someone get charged a corkage fee though?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

I'm always surprised when I see someone bring a cheap bottle ($5 - $6) of wne with them and then have to pay a $15 corkage fee??? Am I missing something?

What you are missing is; corkage fee is so rarely charged it’s an anomaly. 
300 plus nights onboard with Royal and an untold number of wine bottles consumed and have NEVER been charged corkage. 

Also, that $5-$6 bottle would cost them $50-$60 if purchased onboard 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Have you ever seen someone get charged a corkage fee though?

Does this mean that they never charge for any bottles brought on more than the two that they claim to allow?  That is, do they not enforce the two bottle limit?

4 minutes ago, rjp50 said:

Does this mean that they never charge for any bottles brought on more than the two that they claim to allow?  That is, do they not enforce the two bottle limit?

They strongly enforce the one bottle per person limit 

Unlike some other lines there is not an option on Royal to bring more in exchange for paying a fee. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

We bring on our two good bottles , if your diamond plus you get 40 percent off wines under a hundred, also if you bought UDP you get 40 present , I am not sure if you buy 3 night package if you get the 40 percent.

I was under the impression that 2 bottles per cabin was allowed. I've heard that in order to get around that some people in the same cabin each bring 2 bottles and board in different lines or times.  Probably just a rumor though.

23 minutes ago, mac66 said:

I was under the impression that 2 bottles per cabin was allowed. I've heard that in order to get around that some people in the same cabin each bring 2 bottles and board in different lines or times.  Probably just a rumor though.

That used to be the rules, now it is 1 bottle per person.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mac66 said:

Lots of things happen.

I cut out the middle man, I bring an extra bottle in my stomach upon embarkation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, silversneakers said:

People should bring the wine they like to drink.  If they happen to enjoy a particular inexpensive bottle, that’s what they should bring.  Those that enjoy more expensive wine will bring it.  The corkage fee probably won’t be charged, but even if it is the wine suits the person.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, silversneakers said:

We have never been charged a corkage fee. We either bring our own or have requested an opener and a couple of glasses. 

5 hours ago, silversneakers said:

- I've never heard of anyone being charged a corkage fee. 

- I think most people who bring wine onboard drink it in their cabins /on their balconies.  At least I haven't really noticed people bringing wine into the dining room. 

4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

They strongly enforce the one bottle per person limit 

In what ports?  I haven't observed this.  

2 hours ago, mac66 said:

Not a rumor.  When two adults walk through (each carrying one bottle), they don't really know who's with whom.  

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- I've never heard of anyone being charged a corkage fee. 

- I think most people who bring wine onboard drink it in their cabins /on their balconies.  At least I haven't really noticed people bringing wine into the dining room. 

In what ports?  I haven't observed this.  

Not a rumor.  When two adults walk through (each carrying one bottle), they don't really know who's with whom.  

Since the change in rules (2 per cabin to 1 per adult) every port I’ve been through is tougher on the limits. 

I bring wine on board ever time. Never been charged a corkage fee.  I also pack a wine opener in my checked bag just in case. You can ask your cabin steward for wine glasses

• Like 2

21 hours ago, silversneakers said:

Because it still comes out cheaper than buying a bottle from the cruise line.

I've brought a case of "cheap wine" on Princess (which charges corkage on each bottle after your free bottle at embarkation) and paid the (then) $15 corkage on 11 bottles.   The crew collecting the corkage looked at me like I was crazy, but I did the math ahead of time and figured out doing so saved a couple hundred dollars vs. buying a drink package. 

Now that Princess introduced Princess Plus, however, I buy that since it's less than the price of a drink package alone (and includes prepaid tips and wifi).

20 hours ago, George C said:

I am not sure if you buy 3 night package if you get the 40 percent.

The 3 night package also get you the 40%.  We will use it to buy a bottle of wine at dinner.  Cheaper doing that and saving our vouchers for other drinks

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The 3 night package also get you the 40%.  We will use it to buy a bottle of wine at dinner.  Cheaper doing that and saving our vouchers for other drinks

I thought rccl had a nice selection of wines between 75 and 99 .

13 minutes ago, George C said:

I thought rccl had a nice selection of wines between 75 and 99 .

LOL, we are not that fancy.  DW loves the coolaid.  Berringer White Zin for us.  Just over $20 a bottle with the discount and the gratuity added.

On 1/9/2024 at 8:32 PM, Lvntrvl said:

I have read several conflicting posts. Hopefully, someone can clarify the matter. We are sailing on the Allure in a few weeks. We are planning to take one bottle of wine per person on board initially. (We appreciate good wine and love to sit on the balcony and enjoy a glass before dinner.) Can we take additional bottles onboard with us at embarkation and pay the corkage fee, or does RCCL hold the excess until disembarkation?

As others have responded, now it's one bottle per person. The wine lists by necessity have only mass-market wines. I've only been on four cruises, but corkage has never been mentioned, and I bring a bottle of what I consider special to the dining room, either pre-opened or not. If wine is remaining, they offered to keep it for us. Never have I felt that the practice is frowned-upon. I do tip extra in cash at the end of the meal but that's another topic. 

• Like 1