Minors and documentation

53 minutes ago, CobwayCruisers said:

I am divorced with sole legal and physical custody of my children. Do I only need their birth certificates?  I wouldn’t think I would have to get permission from their father!? They are 4 and 6 years old. 

You may or may not be asked for a notarized letter, but do you want to take that chance?

we have taken our grandchildren on several cruises and on one their mother was with us.  We were still asked for the letter once on Disney and twice on Royal Caribbean.

if at all possible I would try and get the letter….

Carnival will not ask you for a letter. They sell cruises, not referee custody of children. I took my daughters when they were younger numerous times and no issues. Customs did pull my younger daughter aside one time and asked her if I was her father and that was it. Notorized letters are only recommended. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CobwayCruisers said:

I am divorced with sole legal and physical custody of my children. Do I only need their birth certificates?  I wouldn’t think I would have to get permission from their father!? They are 4 and 6 years old. 

What do your court papers say?  Do they cover travel?  Is the father vindicative?  My mom needed to get permission from the court to take us out of state.  

I have taken my daughter on several cruises, land vacations to Mexico and Europe over the years and have never once been asked for a notarized letter from her mother. Same with my ex-wife. She has never been asked for one either when traveling with her.

Allegedly, Royal now asks for a notarized letter. But we have only sailed Carnival with my daughter over the years and have never once been asked, nor have we ever bothered with having one.

Edited by stobe1

As long as you have the document showing sole custody that is all you need. Do know that check-in agents/government officials may ask your children who they are traveling with and they need to hear the answer from the child, they don't want any prompting from you. You might want to let them know that it is okay to answer these questions, especially if they are shy. 

• Like 1

I have sole legal/physical custody of my child- I always travel with a copy of the court order when I leave the country. I do have a passport for my child and we have the same last name. I have never been asked anything on multiple land trips, cruises, and even entering Canada by air (I have read they are strict about having parental permission). I recommend getting passports and carrying a copy of your court order.

Just another question, if we want to take our grandkids (18 and 16 at time of sailing), can we put them in a cabin by themselves? I realize we may have to put one each,on paper, into a cabin with one of us and then switch when we get onboard, but would rather not. BTY I need to have a wheelchair accessible cabin, and don’t know how close we can get them to us. What do we need from their parents?

6 minutes ago, bconley351 said:

Just another question, if we want to take our grandkids (18 and 16 at time of sailing), can we put them in a cabin by themselves? I realize we may have to put one each,on paper, into a cabin with one of us and then switch when we get onboard, but would rather not. BTY I need to have a wheelchair accessible cabin, and don’t know how close we can get them to us. What do we need from their parents?

Yes you can do that as long as they are not more than 2 or three rooms away from your room. You could also book one adult in each room and then ask for extra keys once on board.

If you have court documents showing that you have sole custody, that should be sufficient.  I would make a copy and bring with you.  I've never been asked for a letter, but I've always had one.  I don't think it matters much in the Bahamas, but the other islands it might.  

I downloaded and used this form (see pdf) that was given to me by another CC user:

https://help.carnival.com.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/6021/~/consent-form-for-minors-travelling-with-a-guardian

We are traveling with a teenager (17yo) who is not ours.  I will also bring a copy of the legal notice stating that the signing parent has sole custody.  

Edited by Kingsmom