Tipping when it is included in the cruise package price.

Would it be okay to give a tip our butler upfront upon arrival at our cabin even though the price includes tips? I was think an extra $10/10Euro per day may be fair. The other option tip the butler at the end of the cruise if they performed excellently. We are on Silverseas I read they do quite a bit for the guests. 

16 minutes ago, thekegler said:

Would it be okay to give a tip our butler upfront upon arrival at our cabin even though the price includes tips? I was think an extra $10/10Euro per day may be fair. The other option tip the butler at the end of the cruise if they performed excellently. We are on Silverseas I read they do quite a bit for the guests. 

So, you want to know if “bribing” someone gets better service? IMO, it’s an insult to suggest to a crew member that they won’t do a good job unless you give them a bribe first.

Save that “low rent” move for Vegas (yuck).

If a crew member goes “above and beyond” for you, recognize that at the end of the cruise with a nice note including any extra gratuity. And don’t forget to mention their name in your cruise reviews.

• Like 2

A bribe on the first day is indeed a low class move, and could be insulting. Tipping at the end of your cruise, for excellent service is up to you, but always appreciated. As is a positive review on the guest comment cards.

• Like 2

Gratuities are included in the fare to PREVENT exactly what you are trying to do. Tipping is an American custom that is NOT generally practiced or accepted across the globe. Sadly, far too many Americans feel the need to tip even when they shouldn't because they know "it's the right thing to do" at least in their mind. Depending upon where your cruise is going/coming, your gesture may not be seen as appreciation but rather insulting. Let your conscious be your guide.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thekegler said:

On at least one cruise line, the Butlers are *not* included in the "gratuities" that are billed automatically.

So double check where *you* are sailing before assuming they are included and already being "tipped" that way.

GC

Silversea is an "all-inclusive"* luxury line. No, do NOT tip your butler on arrival. I suggest you post this question on the Silversea board, but in a different format. Perhaps ask the frequent Silversea cruisers to explain what is included and what is expected of the staff. The "all-inclusive" lines do adjust the salary of the staff to compensate for gratuities that would have been paid on a mass market or premium line.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/108-silversea/

On a recent Silversea cruise we did receive "above and beyond" service in a very special circumstance and we did choose to tip. Otherwise, nope.

And, as mentioned previously, a positive review means a great deal to the individuals serving you.

*The asterisk is because nothing is totally ALL inclusive.

• Thanks 1

Tipping additional in advance is not necessary and as others have indicated can be interpreted incorrectly.  I think you would need to ask yourself why would you do so, what do expect as the outcome of doing so?

The staff is well trained and will likely perform to an exemplary standard.  If you feel at the end of the cruise that additional gratuities are warranted based on higher than expected service levels, then by all means do so. But that is after the service has been rendered - not before. 

I agree with the others to not do so in advance as whether you intend it or not to be, it can be perceived as an action in poor taste.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On all inclusive cruises, (Seabourn, Silversea, Regent) we still leave our cabin attendants something at the end of the cruise.  We put it in an envelope with a note of thanks.    We also give to the Crew Fund.   This is used for various outings, etc that include crew that work hard behind the scenes.  

I doubt any cruise service staff are going to refuse or be insulted if you tip them on the first day.  Well, unless it is like $1 or something.  But, is it OK?   I wouldn't do it unless it was to recognize some very special out of the norm service I requested.  Best practice is to tip at the end of the cruise.   

We always tip at the end of the sailing for those tasks that were above and exceptional in nature.

And we do also leave a short note thanking them for their service in the same envelope with the tip.

Normally we give it at the last dinner night seating. When we dine the following morning before leaving the ship, they express their appreciation for the gratitude and note.

I don't do any luxury cruising, a butler would make me nervous!.  "Prepaid gratuities" are just considered part of the cost of a cruise; I doubt the crew sees much of that money. We have always tipped the cabin steward $20 or $40 the first day.  Have never considered it a bribe, but rather it just establishes that we are not those awful cruisers who don't tip.  At the bar we tip for every drink, don't like to wait to be served.  We rarely use the MDRs and tip the servers in the buffet for each drink or glass of wine.  Crew on my kinds of ships work for tips; the thought that they'd be insulted or think me a low-life is laughable.  They take good care of me, I give them money.  It's a simple system and it works well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right or wrong, good or bad, I think that to tip or not to tip is a personal decision whether on a mass market cruise line or a luxury line. 

Yes, the USA (and Canada) have blown tipping culture out of the water and it is out of control when I now see tip %'s up to 30% when paying at a restaurant....

But, I also know that many of the crew on these ships work very hard - often without days off and 10+ hours per day.  They are from lower income countries and they are away from their families for many months at a time.  They make this sacrifice willingly because they make more money away than they would at home.  BUT, they are still not paid fairly in my opinion.  Not every cruise line pays them well and often they have to pay the cruise line for Wifi to keep in touch with home, they have to pay for their own flights to and from their contract ports, etc.

I think that it is a personal choice and not a right or wrong or you should or should not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I don't do any luxury cruising, a butler would make me nervous!.  "Prepaid gratuities" are just considered part of the cost of a cruise; I doubt the crew sees much of that money. We have always tipped the cabin steward $20 or $40 the first day.  Have never considered it a bribe, but rather it just establishes that we are not those awful cruisers who don't tip.  At the bar we tip for every drink, don't like to wait to be served.  We rarely use the MDRs and tip the servers in the buffet for each drink or glass of wine.  Crew on my kinds of ships work for tips; the thought that they'd be insulted or think me a low-life is laughable.  They take good care of me, I give them money.  It's a simple system and it works well.

Tipping early is not technically a "bribe" unless you are requesting a service outside of their normal duties. The more accurate term is "facilitation payment" as the cabin steward is going to provide the service in any event and the gratuity is an incentive to provide you preferential treatment. Tipping at the end of the cruise meanwhile confers no benefit to you.

People who are bitter and resentful that someone else may be paying a little extra and getting better service might regard it as a "low life" practice but if tipping early didn't bring results they wouldn't care. 

Edited by K32682
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

Tipping early is not technically a "bribe" unless you are requesting a service outside of their normal duties. The more accurate term is "facilitation payment" as the cabin steward is going to provide the service in any event and the gratuity is an incentive to provide you preferential treatment. Tipping at the end of the cruise meanwhile confers no benefit to you.

People who are bitter and resentful that someone else may be paying a little extra and getting better service might regard it as a "low life" practice but if tipping early didn't bring results they wouldn't care. 

“Slice it or dice it” anyway you want, but a bribe (to get “preferential” treatment) is still a bribe and is still low class. And accepting a bribe for the purpose of treating someone better than the next person could cost a crew member their job.

In any case, kind words, a friendly attitude and reasonable requests will always get you more than will trying to buy extra service (or wrongly suggesting that you won’t get great services unless you pay extra).

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

“Slice it or dice it” anyway you want, but a bribe (to get “preferential” treatment) is still a bribe and is still low class. And accepting a bribe for the purpose of treating someone better than the next person could cost a crew member their job.

In any case, kind words, a friendly attitude and reasonable requests will always get you more than will trying to buy extra service (or wrongly suggesting that you won’t get great services unless you pay extra).

Kind words are great. Cash works better. Kind words and cash works best of all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I doubt any crew is going to lose their job for treating one guest better than another.  Assuming everyone is treated well of course.  

• Like 1

If gratuities are already included then I would think the comment card recommendation would probably be more use with this cruise company than extra tips. Luxury brands tend to want to keep the best staff and reduce staff turnover. They care about the comment cards feedback forms alot more than mass market cruises. If you only privately appreciate the staff it might make you feel good but it is not going to do much for their careers. Having their name in the feedback form full of praise is going to incentivise their employer to do what they can to keep them and in the long run it will lead to far more riches than a couple of Euros a day. 

I support the prepaid gratuities that are added onto fares on most ships (or included, as on the "all-inclusive" lines), but I see no reason for tipping additional, as I require no "above and beyond" service. If I did by chance have some special need or request, I would tip additional when it was provided.

I do not have any dining restrictions, I am happy with once-daily room service, don't need ice, and the usual speed of service in the bars works for me -- it's not a race to get drunk. With the gratuities collected (including the 18% gratuity added to drinks on most lines), I believe I'm compensating the staff and crew fairly. It is not my problem to make up for the cheapos who remove their tips.

IMO, to do otherwise is supporting the upward creep of gratuities.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, K32682 said:

What you describe is best, if briefly, referred to as a BRIBE.  You are paying money to get something you believe you might not get without having paid that money.  

• Like 1

Numerous posts had to be removed due to bickering, harassment, member directed posts, quotes of removed posts, etc.

And another thread re tipping bites the dust...

• Like 3