Syd’s: lines on Prima CRAZY

KKB

Boarded Prima last Fr in Galveston.

New Syd’s crew as well; they got in late so no show 1st night as usual.

2nd night people were lining up 1hr 45 min b4!

Last night only 1 Rumours show (vocalist who does Stevie skipped 2nd show with strained voice; she sounded amazing for Rumours!)

People in line more than 2 hrs prior!!!

They have done a great job—as a young new cast, no surprise getting  small kinks worked out. Each show their chemistry & harmonies better & tighter. The crowd has loved them❤️

Now, it does seem even with long lines, most finding seats; only those coming after doors open (usually 45 min prior) may have to stand (and many did each night!)

Met some other super fun Syd groupies from Houston on this cruise—even another Syd’s Prom Queen!😉

• Thanks 1

Wasn't able to get in on the Prima in July so I was determined to wait forever to get in on the Breakaway.  First show waited about 15  minutes and got a seat.  The next time for Rumours we got in but there were no seats left so we went out back and they had the speakers by the bar outside and we listened to the show.  We got in the last night for the Prom Night performance.  It was also a new crew of performers that boarded when we did and they were amazing!

When we sailed Prima in September 2022 we could never get into Syd’s. In November 2023 on Viva, we were alble to get in to any show at Syd’s we wanted. Both 11 days.

weird

Edited by ColdCruise

I must have been extremely lucky. For the first Syd's show on our Prima sailing this past August, I got there late, and still got in. No seat, but I'd actually rather stand and be able to move my body for rock and roll. The only real line was for the Rumors show.

And I did get to speak to 2 of the singers relating some of my experiences at the original Woodstock festival in 1969. I was originally approached by one of them who liked the Grateful Dead tee shirt I was wearing, and said they were her favorite group.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

No seat, but I'd actually rather stand and be able to move my body for rock and roll. The only real line was for the Rumors show.

Yes, but some people have physical limitations that don't really allow them to "stand and be able to move my body for rock and roll."  NCL needs to figure out that many of their passengers value being able to get a seat without an hour of standing in line versus "small club atmosphere."

• Like 3

The long line is not great.  However all the reports of line cutting is really sad.  Public outrage videos are all the rage and this is common everywhere.  It seems people dont even think its wrong or dont care when they cut the line.  The new normal I guess?

10 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes, but some people have physical limitations that don't really allow them to "stand and be able to move my body for rock and roll."  NCL needs to figure out that many of their passengers value being able to get a seat without an hour of standing in line versus "small club atmosphere."

OK, I guess I am lucky that I can still stand to move my body for rock and roll music. I guess it is genetic as I used to have to drive over to my Mom's house as I knew she would be shoveling the sidewalk and driveway even though she was over 90 years old.

Why can't NCL put the Rumors show in the main theater for at least one night?  I know the atmosphere wouldn't be the same as Syds but it would allow many of us who cannot stand in line to see it..  They did it with the Beatles shows on the Joy last year for those who could not get into the Cavern Club.

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Why can't NCL put the Rumors show in the main theater for at least one night?  I know the atmosphere wouldn't be the same as Syds but it would allow many of us who cannot stand in line to see it..  They did it with the Beatles shows on the Joy last year for those who could not get into the Cavern Club. 

I agree!

We're on the Viva next week and would love to see the  Rumours show. Even though we are fully able, not sure how long I am willing to stand in line to see it, especially if I stand there for an hour or more, and some yoko wonders up and cuts in front.....no way I am doing that.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

That makes sense but I fear it would interfere with the game shows that generate money. Plus they have the main show that is featured there.  I was on Getaway when it was brand new.  A NCL survey person came over to our table at dinner and asked us questions bout the ship.  We loved it but we said that the game shows in the atrium did not really work because there was not enough seating and the acoustics in O'Sheehans (2015) made it hard to hear or see downstairs.  The NCL rep stated that was the #1 complaint about the ship.  Yet NCL continues to have sought after entertainment in the smallest of places.  This is why Epic is so good.  You can do things at Spice H20.  The Bliss lounge is huge to feature game shows, etc. Plus you also had the venue that houses Cirque Dreams.  That venue was used by the comedy group they had on board and the murder mystery plays.  The ship had room for entertainment.

NCL wants intimate venues that make it feel like you are at a real little club somewhere in a small town.  I get that.  But when the venue is in such demand is frustrating.  On Encore I dont remember any lines for the Beatles show but every time we wandered near there it was too crowded to get in.  This is why when cruising you must set reasonable expectations.  You have to convince yourself that you cannot see and do everything on board.  If seeing the show is that important to you then you have no other choice but to get in line.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, shof515 said:

welcome to the new normal. on other ships like the breakaway and escape people also line up about 1 hour or longer before the doors to the venue open to get a spot

oh I EXPECT an hour after Breakaway & Getaway. 
This took it to a new level!

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

Word is that they cannot use a larger venue due to copyrights—guessing it would cost them a lot more

If one is willing and able to stand, when would you recommend getting to Syd’s?Is it a situation where folks come and go a bit as the show goes on? I’ll be solo, so not sure I want to brave those lines for that long. But I am more than content to wedge myself into a corner and enjoy the music.

16 hours ago, KKB said:

Boarded Prima last Fr in Galveston.

New Syd’s crew as well; they got in late so no show 1st night as usual.

2nd night people were lining up 1hr 45 min b4!

Last night only 1 Rumours show (vocalist who does Stevie skipped 2nd show with strained voice; she sounded amazing for Rumours!)

People in line more than 2 hrs prior!!!

They have done a great job—as a young new cast, no surprise getting  small kinks worked out. Each show their chemistry & harmonies better & tighter. The crowd has loved them❤️

Now, it does seem even with long lines, most finding seats; only those coming after doors open (usually 45 min prior) may have to stand (and many did each night!)

Met some other super fun Syd groupies from Houston on this cruise—even another Syd’s Prom Queen!😉

If you want to skip the line get a Haven Cabin Lol. We had one on the GA and were taken down to the Rumors show 15 minutes before the doors open. Only about a dozen of us went and we had our pick of seats

Two issues....line cutting.  It will happen only if those in line allow it.  Save a place for your spouse or SO?  No issues.  Save a place in line for spouse, SO, their friends, cousins, Aunties, etc?  Not happening.  If I get in trouble for speaking up, so be it.  It's not right and I will be vocal about it.

Venue....I have no idea if there are "copyright" issues.  That doesn't seem like a "thing".  Either you are allowed to perform the music or you're not.  I don't know how anyone would track how many people it's performed for.  Further, there are more than one performances for some of the shows.  How you regulate that is a tough ask.

I do believe putting it in a bigger venue would take away from the feel and ambiance of the show, given the amount of audience interaction the performers have.

So, NCL has an entertainment bonafide hit on their hands.  It's very popular.  Get there early.  Not sure there is any remedy for you if you can't stand in line.  I know NCL crew try to be as accommodating as they can. But, I don't think they can stand in line for you. 😉

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Two issues....line cutting.  It will happen only if those in line allow it.  Save a place for your spouse or SO?  No issues.  Save a place in line for spouse, SO, their friends, cousins, Aunties, etc?  Not happening.  If I get in trouble for speaking up, so be it.  It's not right and I will be vocal about it.

Venue....I have no idea if there are "copyright" issues.  That doesn't seem like a "thing".  Either you are allowed to perform the music or you're not.  I don't know how anyone would track how many people it's performed for.  Further, there are more than one performances for some of the shows.  How you regulate that is a tough ask.

I do believe putting it in a bigger venue would take away from the feel and ambiance of the show, given the amount of audience interaction the performers have.

So, NCL has an entertainment bonafide hit on their hands.  It's very popular.  Get there early.  Not sure there is any remedy for you if you can't stand in line.  I know NCL crew try to be as accommodating as they can. But, I don't think they can stand in line for you. 😉

Agree with above.

The Syd’s production crew for the line was onboard this week (not surprising w/ the new crew) & we sat in front of them for each show.

Another passenger said that is who mentioned the small venue & copyright issues. I cannot confirm firsthand.

Now, we do know production shows r being eliminated due to cost.

Irregardless, had a great trip…waiting to disembark now 😢

Thorough TR to come soon!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KKB said:

Agree with above.

The Syd’s production crew for the line was onboard this week (not surprising w/ the new crew) & we sat in front of them for each show.

Another passenger said that is who mentioned the small venue & copyright issues. I cannot confirm firsthand.

Now, we do know production shows r being eliminated due to cost.

Irregardless, had a great trip…waiting to disembark now 😢

Thorough TR to come soon!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the cruise!

14 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

If you want to skip the line get a Haven Cabin Lol. We had one on the GA and were taken down to the Rumors show 15 minutes before the doors open. Only about a dozen of us went and we had our pick of seats

@Laszlo makes that Rumors show an expensive ticket - 🤣

The Rumors set was good but not mind blowing, definitely not as good as the original tour. And that entire concert was about the price of lunch at a chain restaurant today - inflation !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

NCL should have reservations for the show and then have a line for those who don't show up. If shows are similar, you only get to see it once to allow other passengers a chance to see it.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Same.  Although, we had even fewer who took advantage of that Haven "perk".  What I got a chuckle about were the folks that said they didn't want to sit in the venue waiting around for 30-45minutes before the show started (or 15 minutes before the doors opened).  All the while, others don't want to stand in line that long.

I guess take your pick.

There were only 3 or 4 of us from the Haven who took advantage of the "get in early" opportunity!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not sure if it applies to copyrighted music, but I know that when my son's school wanted to do the High School Musical Jr. play, they had to pay for the rights to do it.  Maybe NCL had to pay for the rights to do Rumors in the same way?

5 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

Not sure if it applies to copyrighted music, but I know that when my son's school wanted to do the High School Musical Jr. play, they had to pay for the rights to do it.  Maybe NCL had to pay for the rights to do Rumors in the same way?

That I understand.  But, to be able to say only 50 people can hear the performance, I can't imagine that's something anyone can control.  What about the people who are milling about outside the venue?  Do you have to account for them?  How about the people at the Syd Norman's Bar on the Waterfront?  Do you have to account for them, too?  How about the people casually walking by Syd Norman's?  Are they considered part of those who are hearing the performance?

Point being, I don't see how anyone can charge copyright fees based on the number of people who can hear the performance.  It would be impossible to enforce.

• Like 1