Daily internet prices to increase!

dweeb

4 hours ago, KarlK said:

Make it a true vacation and escape, maybe the trick is to leave all electronics at home LOL. I don't have a phone and don't haul my laptop on a cruise, but can understand seriously why many want or need to be connected.

Right attitude, Escape Completely and Come Back New !!

• Like 1

For those who can disconnect completely, I salute you. However, many of us have family members with whom we need to keep connected like elderly parents or college students, and others like me who are still among the working and unable to be off the grid. I love my job and get lots of vacation time, but have a position that minimally requires me to monitor my emails daily. Princess knows this and is edging into grifter territory with these WiFi rates in my estimation. 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

For those who can disconnect completely, I salute you. However, many of us have family members with whom we need to keep connected like elderly parents or college students, and others like me who are still among the working and unable to be off the grid. I love my job and get lots of vacation time, but have a position that minimally requires me to monitor my emails daily. Princess knows this and is edging into grifter territory with these WiFi rates in my estimation. 

All this certainly applies to a lot of people and pets do as well to a lot of people.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 11:04 AM, XuGator said:

Can you just buy 1 device and use the hotspot feature on your phone to feed any other devices you want to use?

Be careful and be sure to check...

At least on my iPhone... the hotspot only becomes active on wifi if the iPhone is on cellular data, not wifi... so if you are using a device for a hotspot make sure it will act as a hotspot with wifi... it may not.  

I'm not sure if the people with PCs and MACs acting as hotspots are getting their internet from WIFI or from ethernet (is that even available on ships?) or cellular...  but your "internet plan" from Princess is for wifi... If you are using land-based cellular (or the ship-based cellular - if it even has data) you may find some rather exhorbidant charges on your cel phone bill or data plan.  

Regarding iPhones... see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204023
specifically:  "If other devices have joined your Personal Hotspot using Wi-Fi, you can use only cellular data to connect to the internet from the host device. "

You might be able to connect other devices to an iPhone on the ship wifi over Bluetooth... haven't tried that.  The same link above has this text:  "Personal Hotspot supports Bluetooth connections with Mac and other third-party devices. To connect another iOS device, use Bluetooth.".   

I hope this helps and doesn't just confuse folks... but it's not quite as straightforward as one would wish... 

• Thanks 1

I was able - with the *new* app... to get internet for our February 24 cruise... with the Platinum discount... for myself, but not for my wife.  My wife can't seem to get into the new app... her access has to any app has been messed up for some time... if she logged into the booking it offered it to her without the discount... and if she tried to order it even at the full price, it said there was a credit card problem.

So I called Princess (they answered fairly quickly yesterday afternoon) and got hers with the discount as well. 

The new app, though, doesn't see any cruises other than the upcoming one... no visibility to the ones coming later in 25... the old app sees it, but will only give me the "full price" without the discount, and doesn't let me do it for my wife either. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Digisailor said:

The new app, though, doesn't see any cruises other than the upcoming one... no visibility to the ones coming later in 25... the old app sees it, but will only give me the "full price" without the discount, and doesn't let me do it for my wife either. 

Maybe time for another phone call to Princess before any price changes go into effect?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Digisailor said:

I was able - with the *new* app... to get internet for our February 24 cruise... with the Platinum discount... for myself, but not for my wife.  My wife can't seem to get into the new app... her access has to any app has been messed up for some time... if she logged into the booking it offered it to her without the discount... and if she tried to order it even at the full price, it said there was a credit card problem.

So I called Princess (they answered fairly quickly yesterday afternoon) and got hers with the discount as well. 

The new App.. to see your other cruises, log in with the booking number for each cruise, then you can work on it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

The new App.. to see your other cruises, log in with the booking number for each cruise, then you can work on it.

This works . Shouldn't have to do it this way but ......

• Like 2

Thanks for this thread! I was able to purchase wifi for my November 2024 cruise at the current platinum discount cost of $7.50/day through the “old” app. On the new app the discount wasn’t applied, so I updated the old app and made the purchase there.

I didn’t receive an email confirmation, but it does show up under Special Services in my Travel Summary.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mo Jito said:

Thanks for this thread! I was able to purchase wifi for my November 2024 cruise at the current platinum discount cost of $7.50/day through the “old” app. On the new app the discount wasn’t applied, so I updated the old app and made the purchase there.

I didn’t receive an email confirmation, but it does show up under Special Services in my Travel Summary.

You won’t get an email, but travel summary is what you want.

I print this out before sailing, in case of any issues.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Mo Jito said:

I too, was able to purchase it thru the Old Medallion App.  The option WAS in the web version of the New App as well as in the New App, IS NOT THERE today when I tried to purchase the internet package.  I did not even know about this news, just it was a thing on my To Do List that I decided to cross it today, i.e. get it done today.  I wasn't able to find the Internet Package at all on both website and New App.

I KNEW the Internet Package WAS on both the Web Version and the New App just a few days ago when I checked.  Now the option was taken away from my account both the web version and the new App.

Thankfully I still have the old Medallion App on my phone,  that I almost uninstall it after downloading the New App a week or more ago.  Also thankfully there was an active link "to continue use the old App" or something like that, at the bottom of the screen, right below it told you to download the New App.

The Medallion Net option was still in the Old Medallion App, and allowed me to proceed to purchase an Internet Package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

On the new app..move down on the home page to “View wifi

plans.”

It disappeared from my account.  It was there a few days ago.  Today when I tried to purchase the internet package, all being shown are the Plus and Premium Upgrade Packages!  No any other package whatsoever!

I later found the Medallion Net package on the Old Medallion App.  Thank goodness I haven't uninstalled the old app after downloading the new app. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

It disappeared from my account.  It was there a few days ago.  Today when I tried to purchase the internet package, all being shown are the Plus and Premium Upgrade Packages!  No any other package whatsoever!

I later found the Medallion Net package on the Old Medallion App.  Thank goodness I haven't uninstalled the old app after downloading the new app. 

Scrolling down on the Home Page on the new app as PacnGoNow described worked just fine for me a few minutes ago and I made my purchase (incl. the Elite discount) 🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Scrolling down on the Home Page on the new app as PacnGoNow described worked just fine for me a few minutes ago and I made my purchase (incl. the Elite discount) 🙂

It did not work earlier in the afternoon.  All it showed were the Plus and Premium packages, no internet package.  I KNEW I had seen it in the New App somewhere just a few days ago. 

Then I found it in the Old Medallion App and purchased there.  Immediately after purchase, it still not shows in the New App, like urging you to upgrade to multiple devices, but it shows in the Old App.  Now it finally shows up in the New App as 1-Device Plan.

At least both Apps recognize our Elite statuses, despite we NEVER are able to log in with our Princess website credentials on either app, can only log in with Booking Number.  It serves the purpose so I have not spent much time in trying to fix this glitch as long as it still recognizes our statuses.

Princess should not make things so hard for the passengers.  If it weren't due to RCCL not sending any newer ship except Odyssey of the Sea for Transatlantic, we would not be on Sky to cross the ocean. 

Oh, HAL is worse.  We did the Rome to Ft. Lauderdale on Statendam last Fall.  The quality of almost everything was SO Poor.  As an example, their Dutch Cafe mimic the Princess International Cafe has only 1/2 or less the size and may be only 1/5 the choices of foods... 

Edited by nho9504

We also just completed internet purchase on our upcoming cruises but we did have to call in to get it as we were using gift cards. We were able to complete the purchases at the discounted $7.50 per day elite benefit price. Hope this helps someone.

The first cruise was 51 days around South America and the second was 54 days to the South Pacific, New Zealand and Australia round trip LA, so it was a significant savings.

Doug

• Like 5

On 1/19/2024 at 3:24 PM, helenb said:

On our recent cruise, 3 of us shared a single 'one device wifi' package. I purchased on my device. When my husband or son tried to load an internet page on their laptops, they were shunted to a page that asked for their credentials. IIRC, they only needed our stateroom number and my birthday to login and use my wifi package.

Of course, logging in would kick off anyone who was already using it, and there was no popup warning. But we would verbally discuss who was using it when with each other, and all 3 of us were able to share.

on andorid, you can use the hotspot feature  on the phone and share wifi connection to other devices. i did that on my CP cruise in september 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, richstowe said:

This works . Shouldn't have to do it this way but ......

It's nice to know that's available as a workaround... I suspect the new app has a "bug" that it only shows the upcoming cruise... since the header on the "profile" page says "My Voyages" (plural) but it only shows one.  In the old app, you could click on your profile and it would show everything you had booked and you can select which one you want to work with.  

I didn't end up doing it this way... I just called Princess to get the internet package added... they answered right away and took care of it for me on the phone.  You can confirm the presence of the package and the pricing by going to the website under "cruise personalizer" - select the cruise - click on the "Extras" tab and scroll to the bottom. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gilboman said:

on andorid, you can use the hotspot feature  on the phone and share wifi connection to other devices. i did that on my CP cruise in september 

So once you enable the WiFi hotspot, any device nearby can use the Hotspot "network" with the password, incl an iPad?

I appreciate this thread. I just pre booked the 4 device option for my next 2 cruises and we are both platinum but I got charged the full (old) price. I did this last time pre the price increase  and the 50% discount came through the OBC account. That sucks really as they have use of our money until then and then we get hit with inflated prices whilst on board. The cost is even worse for us Aussies as the exchange rate atm is crap.

All the cruise lines are taking advantage of cruisers suffering through 2 years of no cruising. Now they are making up for lost time and $.

42 minutes ago, carnabombers said:

I appreciate this thread. I just pre booked the 4 device option for my next 2 cruises and we are both platinum but I got charged the full (old) price. I did this last time pre the price increase  and the 50% discount came through the OBC account. That sucks really as they have use of our money until then and then we get hit with inflated prices whilst on board. The cost is even worse for us Aussies as the exchange rate atm is crap.

All the cruise lines are taking advantage of cruisers suffering through 2 years of no cruising. Now they are making up for lost time and $.

Can you cancel, call 

Thank goodness for this thread! I was able to get the discount on nine cruises booked for 2024 to 2025. What will we do for cruises booked after January 22?  Choice will be no internet or drink package. And less cruising!

• Like 2