First time on Celebrity...I have questions!

boobear1

We've cruised many times, but this will be our first Celebrity cruise.  A few questions...does everyone in your cabin (of drinking age) have to purchase the drink package or can just one?  Is there a daily limit to your drinks?  What is the average price of a frozen cocktail?  

I know on Carnival you can buy "cruise cash" to have an onboard credit, does Celebrity offer this?  Is there an ice cream machine on Celebrity?

Anything else I should know about Celebrity vs Carnival? Thank you for your time!

Yes, if one purchases the drink package everyone has to. Cost of a frozen drink is about $9. There is no daily limit.

There is an ice cream machine as well as ice cream served by the crew. Not sure if you can buy OBC. You would have to check the website or ask your TA. Celebrity is very different than Carnival. Our own personal opinion……we wouldn’t sail Carnival again if it was free. 

Edited by Purplsmurf
  • Like 3

One big difference is Carnival usually has at least 2 comedians every night which we love to attend.  On our last Celebrity cruise they didn't have any comedians on board.  The CD and other team members did all the comedy shows.  They were OK at best.

We usually sail Celebrity but Carnival is a lot of fun too.  Oh and you can't sign in for dinner on the app, you have to wait in line at the desk and then they might give you a pager... 

We'd sail on either as we like them both.  

• Like 2

On our last several cruises Celebrity did indeed have comedians onboard.  One comedian, not two.  We left the Edge on December 9th after a B2B2B and all three legs had comedians onboard.  Shows suitable for all ages are in the theater at 7 and 9 PM.  Shows suitable for adults are in another venue starting about 10PM.

All three legs on the Edge also had magicians onboard.

Celebrity doesn't have cruise cash, but you can 'gift' yourself some OBC.  Go to the gifts & gear section of the website and enter your booking information. You can then purchase OBC as a gift, but you are just sending it to yourself.  

I do this all the time. Not as easy as cruise cash from Carnival, but the good part is that unlike Carnival cruise cash, if you don't use it all, the OBC you gift yourself is refundable. 

Generally if one person purchases a drink package all passenger must also purchase.   There are exceptions if you call Celebrity and they will offer alternative for the non-drinkers.     Two exceptions I know of are people that are in Recovery and the other is people who have medical reason's for not drinking. 

I know of many others that have a classic package and were able to stop by a bar and just have their package upgraded to Premium for just one person.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

The Mast Grill (think hamburgers and hotdogs) has a self serve soft ice cream machine.  Scooped ice cream (and sorbet) is available in the Ocean View Cafe (think buffet).  

Are you sure you're not thinking of another cruise line?  I've never seen one on X

17 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Are you sure you're not thinking of another cruise line?  I've never seen one on X

I think they used to.. but now it's just scoops% cones/ gelato..

Edited by hcat

8 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

8 hours ago, hcat said:

I think they used to.. but now it's just scoops% cones/ gelato..

As others have said, Mast Grill on Apex definitely has self-serve soft ice, I think on Reflection too but can't swear to that as I didn't get one there.  They rotate flavor (think just one flavor at a time) so it's luck of the draw it's one you'll like, I think sometimes it's a swirl of two flavors.  Also, I know the Apex had a soft serve machine at the Gelato station, though availability was not the best when I went there as I was told couple times the machine was off for cleaning or ice cream was too soft.  I got it there at least once.

Edited by poffles

17 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

there is one at the Mast Grill on Reflection. Much more choice in the buffet - luse the left hand side entrance

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Duanerice1 said:

Oh and you can't sign in for dinner on the app, you have to wait in line at the desk and then they might give you a pager... 

on carnival or celebrity?

We have MTD on Reflection and I made an MDR reservation for every day. Are you saying I'll also have to wait in line with a pager?

19 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

we have encountered self serve soft ice cream (with either cones or bowls) on both M- and S-class ships.

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

there is one at the Mast Grill on Reflection. Much more choice in the buffet

yay! Somebody on CC has just told me X doesn't have soft serve. I'd be very happy if they do. Not a deal breaker, but the kid and DH would be happy.

9 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

We have MTD on Reflection and I made an MDR reservation for every day. Are you saying I'll also have to wait in line with a pager?

yay! Somebody on CC has just told me X doesn't have soft serve. I'd be very happy if they do. Not a deal breaker, but the kid and DH would be happy.

what!!!!!  X has soft serve every day in the buffet. Alternates between vanilla and chocolate plus mixed every day. Soft serve also at the Mast Bar walk past the hot dog/burger service counter and the sauces dispenser and you reach the Soft Serve and the cone dispenser. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 5:30 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

You still have to go up to the desk.... Hopefully your table will be ready.  If not, you still get a pager.  Some ships have separate lines for reservations but last time on the Equinox there wasn't so we waited in line with everyone else even with a reservation. 

What I was referring to was with Carnival you just click in the app that you're ready and they notify you when your table is ready.  No line as everyone does it the same way. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:04 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Just off Apex - soft serve ice machine is at the Mast Grill.   Self serve. 

• Like 1