Symphony- Coastal Kitchen vs MDR

We've sailed on Symphony a number of times, and we've been in a lot suite before. However, previously our travel companions were in a JS and didn't have access to Coastal Kitchen (I know we could've tried, it just never came up).  Honestly, we were all pretty happy with the MDR.  This time, it's four of us (two couples) and we are all in loft suites, so Coastal is an option.

What's been your recent experience Coastal vs. MDR? Is it significantly better? Haven't cruised Royal in about 14 months and hearing a lot of negative comments about MDR. Is there really a big downgrade in the past year plus?

14 minutes ago, George C said:

We choose a third option buy UDP , eat breakfast and most lunch’s in CK dinner in specialty.

Yeah, I used to be a specialty restaurant all the time guy. I just don't feel they are that great anymore. The best specialty dining I've ever had on any ship was still a rather inferior interpretation of any land based restaurant. 

Like I said, I had been more than content with MDR for the past few years, but just a little curious about the reports of the supposed changes in the past year.

• Like 2

You have to remember staff changes, staffing levels change, managers change, cooks change.

I've had great experiences and not so great ones.

Get onboard,  do the first night or two in CK and then pivot if you need to.

I've not enjoyed the MDR since all the changes and have shifted away, but I just got off Icon, and while I didn't eat in the MDR, the food in Windjammer was so good, I know it had to be.   

Just depends.

We're in a Loft suite , but not until April.  We are so excited!  Any tips about CK you can share will be greatly appreciated.

We will definitely book Hooked as a specialty, but don't know what else.  If anything.  Tell you the truth, I can't remember any specialty on any line that has really stood out.

Personally, I am super bored with the Costal Kitchen menu and there has been little to no change in many years now. I still prefer it to the main dining room as it is much quieter and less chaotic than the MDR. They are also accommodating if you want to tweak a dish. Until recently they would even get you items from MDR if you ask ahead of time but after the recent changes of 1 entree at a time and one lobster tail in MDR, the CK host on my last Oasis sailing in Oct said they are not allowed to bring in food from other restaurants anymore "due to too many complaints about it not being hot." I didn't push it. Ironically two nights later we had asked for more pretzel rolls and it took forever because the waiter went downstairs to Chops and got the "long ones", CK has the round ones. He also had them heated up for us. So much for not getting food from other restaurants.

And before you ask, Oasis had half and half for coffee in CK with no issue. I'm curious to know if Symphony does too as I will be on her in March.

7 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Yeah, I used to be a specialty restaurant all the time guy. I just don't feel they are that great anymore. The best specialty dining I've ever had on any ship was still a rather inferior interpretation of any land based restaurant. 

Like I said, I had been more than content with MDR for the past few years, but just a little curious about the reports of the supposed changes in the past year.

I actually think they have improved over last 5 years, I was happy with chops and Giovanni’s on last few cruises and wasn’t always happy . Also it’s way less than most decent land restaurants, we always pay 200 plus for dinner locally.

Given the choice, we prefer CK, as it's considerably fewer people, and the food is generally better than the MDR.  There are some MDR dishes that we do prefer, but not enough to move down there.

That being said, I would suggest you try both.  You can do both on the cruise.

Last summer we had two weeks on Symphony and we enjoyed CK. Never tried the MDR, actually we only went to the MDR for a kitchen tour and the muster thing at the beginning as it was our muster station.

We did a lot of specialty restaurants and CK. Both were ok, was it like in a land based restaurant with 2 Michelin stars? No, but that's fine, I don't need that constantly and my kids never want that type of restaurant.
Depending on your room location the biggest advantage outside of food is no elevator to go to CK. But we also liked the fact that CK isn't too big. We never had unfriendly staff and we always got food we liked. Also no waiting times and for lunch and breakfast.

22 hours ago, ckruetze said:

Last summer we had two weeks on Symphony and we enjoyed CK. Never tried the MDR, actually we only went to the MDR for a kitchen tour and the muster thing at the beginning as it was our muster station.

We did a lot of specialty restaurants and CK. Both were ok, was it like in a land based restaurant with 2 Michelin stars? No, but that's fine, I don't need that constantly and my kids never want that type of restaurant.
Depending on your room location the biggest advantage outside of food is no elevator to go to CK. But we also liked the fact that CK isn't too big. We never had unfriendly staff and we always got food we liked. Also no waiting times and for lunch and breakfast.

What Specialty Restaurants did you enjoy? 

We just got off the Wonder in a GS.  We ate in CK most meals.  Frankly, not having to deal with the crowds on the rest of the ship made CK perfect for us.  We enjoyed the comradery of the waitstaff and there were plenty of options for us.  We customized our meals several times.  CK has the everyday classics that the MDR got rid of.  The MDR quality is no comparison to CK for us. We sometimes ate the suite lounge offerings for our other meals.  They were plentiful and a bit lighter that a full meal.  When you have a full suite you have free room service and we use that on non Oasis class ships quite often.  I would make your reservations each night at CK and you can easily modify them if you feel like eating at the MDR.  We don't ever get the UDP as that is just too much for us.  Enjoy your cruise.        

• Like 1

We just got off Symphony this past Sunday. 2 couples both in owners suite so we had CK available to us all week.

Everybody is different so this is just my opinion - but we love CK and avoid the MDR (it takes too long and often the food is just so-so).

So on our 8 night cruise, we never went in the MDR or Windjammer.

We ate breakfast in the Solarium once. (smaller scale buffet assortment, but we love the ambiance, smaller crowds, etc.)

Multiple days we had room service breakfast (very good and i love coffee in the morning on my balcony!)

One lunch at El Polo Fresh 

one dinner at Chops

one dinner at Hibachi Grille

all other meals at Coastal Kitchen

I think the quality in CK is very good. I only had one meal (fish) that i didn't love, but other nights i always found something i liked. I agree with someone's comment that the menu is getting a little tired, it's time for them to update it.

All other meals we had were great as well. Honestly, we had no problem finding plenty of great food on this trip!

• Like 2